Start by marking “Midday” as Want to Read:
Midday

Midday

Four men. Five hours. Eight million Euros.

When his alarm goes off at 7 am, bank manager Vincent assumes he is waking up to a regular working day. He couldn’t be more wrong.

Minutes later, one of the most ambitious heists in Dublin’s history is underway — and Vincent finds himself at the centre of it.

While his boyfriend Ryan is held at gunpoint by two aspiring gangsters, Vin
Published March 22nd 2018 by Bloodhound Books

Eva
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, now. What a fabulous and unexpected surprise this was!

Vincent wakes up every morning, knowing fully well what his day is going to look like. But on this particular morning, things take a nasty turn when he and his boyfriend are the victims of a tiger kidnapping. Vincent works as a bank manager and has until midday to collect 8 million euros from four different branches around Dublin, while his boyfriend is being held at gun point.

The clock is ticking. Tick-tock.

It becomes apparent quite ea
Hans
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story that's cleverly told from 4 points of view. The revelation at the end is very unsuspected.
I liked the idea of this book. Although I doubt about is realistic. The writer kept me wondering how this would end.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Midday is a story set over the course of a morning in alternating chapters between four main characters told in the first person. I’m not usually a lover of stories told in the first person but have to say it worked really well in this instance.

Through the alternating chapters, we get to know more about each person. Vincent and Ryan are partners living in a swanky apartment. Vincent is high up in the bank he works for where as Ryan is a wannabe writer. To start with I didn’t know who I felt more
booksofallkinds
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
MIDDAY by David B. Lyons is a thrilling, energetic story with plenty of surprises along the way to keep you glued to the page.

Vincent has a prestigious job in charge of four banks in Dublin City and lives the high life with his lover, Ryan, in their beautiful penthouse. He likes his life a certain way and routine is key. So when he hears his doorbell ring before work one morning it is a little unusual and when he finds himself staring down the wrong end of a gun, his morning has definitely taken
Donna Maguire

As soon as I saw the blurb for this book I was intrigued and couldn't wait to get stuck in!

The book has four main characters and the book is told from each of their points of view in alternative chapters. The four are a varied mix and each had their strengths and at times I did feel for them all, then you get to know more about them and my views certainly changed and I started to detest two of them greatly!

It is well written, full of suspense and I loved
Sharon Thompson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Midday is written by an accomplished writer of plot, character development and dialogue. I could not put it down and I found myself flittering through the pages and short chapters (loved them!) so that I could keep up with the pace of a morning's bank heist. Loved that it was set in Ireland and I liked that the characters shocked and repulsed me... in places. You can tell that the author took time and patience with this book. Definite must read for all those who love crime fiction.
Col
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, l
Synopsis/blurb...

Are you looking for a fast-moving, intricate psychological thriller? Then you'll love the unmissable Midday.

Four men. Five hours. Eight million euros.

While his boyfriend Ryan is held at gunpoint by two aspiring gangsters, Vin
Alexina Golding
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Four distinct voices
Four different characters
Four sides of the same story to be told.
5 hours to play!
I loved the whole concept of Midday from beginning to end.
The grit, tension, fear played out within the pages and my imagination at setting the scenes took over. I could see it as a movie.
The characters played their parts extremely well, it was clear as to who was telling us their side of the story, I loved the slight overlap from seeing it from the different points of view.
An extremely well pace
Misfits farm
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vincent and Ryan lead a happy life- so they think about each other. Vincent is in charge of four banks in Dublin although originally his heart was far from going into the financial sector. Ryan, his partner, was in PR but left after Vincent encouraged him to do what he had always wanted to- write a book. However for the last 19 months he has sat and done nothing. Jack (JR) has lost his wife who was the daughter of one of Dublin’s gangland bosses whom no-one messed with. Darragh has dreams of own ...more
Greta Halliday
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book takes you on a roller coaster ride. Full of suspense and tension it was a very different read from the normal thriller. Well and craftily written the conclusion was not at all what I expected. Thanks to Bloodhound books for enabling me to read this book.
Livia Sbarbaro
An Unputdownable Read that will keep you guessing till the very end...

Bank manager Vincent lives in a beautiful penthouse with his boyfriend Ryan..Vincent is getting ready for work when there's a knock on the door..a gunman bursts in ..Vincent has until Midday to rob four banks of 8 million euros or Ryan will die. The gunman holding Ryan is a twisted little piece of vermin who is looking forward to blowing Ryan's brains out...But tick tock...the clock is moving and as Vincent rushes from one pla
Andrew Cl
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is simply brilliant! Written from the perspective of four different characters involved in a tiger bank robbery.
Really enjoyed seeing the story from the different characters, Vincent the bank manager is to obtain 8 million Euros from the 4 banks he manages by midday or his partner Ryan will be killed by Darragh. Then there is Jack who is the mastermind behind the robbery.
The author sets the tension with the clock ticking to midday with time updates and the story told from the view of four
Adele Shea
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really loved the outcome of this book. The further into I read, the better it got.

My one negative about it is, when the story goes from past to present, it just happens. I personally would prefer a different style of text or something to just break to up so you know what's happening (a space between paragraphs from past to present). I just think it would make it that bit easier to read. Other than that it was very well thought out and written.

Another author to add to my must read list.
Karen Bullock
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

A different reading for me, this was. The story is easy to fall into & I enjoyed the character buildup for 4 of the main characters. Each character was a unique person, whose attributes added flavor to the story.
A mix of tidy businessman meets dirty hoodlum.
Loved the twists & turns & it had my eyes popping wide open @ the climatic ending.
Thank you to Bloodhound Books for the opportunity to read & review!
Rubina
I simply cannot believe how this book could be so good! 5 stars is so less for this book. Please get yourself a copy if you haven't already.

*Full Review to be up on 24th March as part of blog tour*
MARGARET R
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a clever way of telling a story! Being given each of the four main character's perspective, virtually simultaneously, is as invasive and satisfying as going through a first date's medicine cabinet. The format makes it impossible to put down. Similar to the feeling when Netflix releases an entire season of your favorite show all at once...you know you should slow down, but you just have to binge-read; you HAVE to find out how it's all going to end!
Dave Bate
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read with some fantastic twists and turns at the end. Loved the format of the story being told through four different characters. A major bank robbery told in such a different way, I just had to keep the pages turning until the final one. 95% of the book is told over a few hours in real time, through the eyes of the four main characters. Please don’t let this put you off, believe me it is well worth reading.
Susan Corcoran
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the author, Bloodhound publishing and blog tour organiser Sarah Hardy for the ARC of Midday in return for an honest review.
When you read the blurb for a book, you wonder if the words they use such as unpredictable really describe what you are about to read. Well bugger me, they certainly do when used in connection with Midday. All the action takes place between 7am and 12 midday on the same day and as a result the story is tight, thrilling and explosive. It is like being on
David Douglas
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the problems with being Irish is that our default way of dealing with our own (creative) people is by being overly critical and snobbish, just ask U2. The bottom line is that it is quite often very difficult for an Irish person to be openly gushing or warm about another Irish person's achievements. We're much happier to kick each off the proverbial perch or just say nothing. It's amazing Irish authors ever even publish a first novel for fear of trying to translate the Irish silence (that' ...more
Gwen McGinty
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this book by Bloodhound Books for an honest review.

I thought it was simply an average crime book about a bank robbery. The first few chapters grated on me, as we got to know the four main characters of the book - Vincent, Ryan, Jack and Darragh. They were filled with first person pronouns, I this, I that, and it disrupted the flow of the writing for me.

As the book went on this became less noticeable, which meant that I could get more immersed in the story of a criminal wh
Paula Stammers
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
This book had me hooked right from the start. I absolutely love the way this book was written and it kept me interested right to the last page.
The story is told by the 4 main characters, Vincent, Ryan, Jack and Darragh. Each chapter tells the story from a different characters perspective. As well as the real time telling of the plot we also get to learn more about the characters and their past. I loved how we are gradually discovering more about each of the four men as the story progresses until
Susan Hunter
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a gripping read from start to finish. A new author to me but I will definitely be reading more from this author. From Vincent waking at 7am I was intrigued as to what was coming next. A very intricately planned heist is about to take place from Vincent's bank. The story is told in individual chapters for each main character. It worked extremely well and in my opinion made the book more enjoyable, but also gave me a chance to breathe in between these chapters. The plot was always by the cloc ...more
kellie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved how this books coming together, with hovering to much away, the main plot is about four different characters warped up in a kidnapping and bank robbery. Each chapter is told from each of the main characters which dives in the past and present. Fabulously written from the different perspectives. This is one of thoese book that you want to pick up when you have the time to read it in one go because believe me, you won’t want to it to finish however you can’t help yourself but to devour the ...more
V
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually quite good.

I really enjoyed this book. Very cleverly put together with all the to-ing and fro-ing into the four main characters lives. The ending was brilliant, I kinda worked it out literally in the page before but not all and the last revelation was the icing on the cake. The only reason it doesn’t get 5 stars from me was due to the writing style not the plot.
I do recommend this book and I’ll look forward to reading more from this author
Michelle Baldwin
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow this is the fist book I've read by David Lyons and I was very impressed..... I love how the story unfolded very well written and I will be reading more by this author. This book kept me on the edge of my feet,Vincent is under pressure and I was praying things would work out ok....... well worth reading......
Cindy Cox Sherman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Probably more like 2.5. I listened to this book which I normally do not do so that may have had an impact on my rating. I'm not really a fan of audio books. This has a few twists in it that are good but I can't say that I would recommend it over the thousands of other books out there.
Lexie Conyngham
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different and clever as we dig into the history of the four narrators to find the links between them, all in one Dublin morning. Definitely on the noir side.
Pip Kirby
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining tale about some amateurish bank robbers in Dublin. Nice twist at the end. Spoilt a bit by the prose being written in 'Dublinese' spelling, unnecessarily.
Caroline Mc Donnell
May 12, 2018
Rebecca Nixon
Apr 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
That ending 1 4 Mar 19, 2018 02:29AM
David B. Lyons is a former award-winning journalist-turned-author. He is a writer of psychological thrillers, the first of which - Midday - was compared to the writing of Quentin Tarantino by Bookstormer: "For me he is the Tarantino of the book world." Not a bad start to life as an author! He signed a three-book publishing deal with Bloodhound Books at the tail end of 2017.

David grew up in Dublin