Start by marking “The Plus One” as Want to Read:
The Plus One

Sophia Money-Coutts

The Plus One

‘So funny. And the sex is amazing – makes me feel like a nun! JILLY COOPER

The Plus One [n] informal a person who accompanies an invited person to a wedding or a reminder of being single, alone and absolutely plus none

Polly’s not looking for ‘the one’, just the plus one
Polly Spencer is fine. She’s single, turning thirty and only managed to have sex twice last year (both ti
Published August 9th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Plus One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plus One

Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I love romance, and chick-literature. I love fast reads, and enjoyable nonsense. The cover looked so cute, and when I got approved the ARC on The Plus One from Sophia Money-Coutts on Netgalley, I was excited to read it. And then, it all started going downhill…

The Plus One is a book about Polly Spencer. She is thirty, single and works for Posh! Magazine. I didn’t like the Poly Spencer of now, and I thought, this might be a book where the main char
D.M.
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plus one is about a lady called Polly. She doesn't take life too seriously and is a Bridget personality type. She's not good at dating, she quite often says the wrong thing and she over analyses every little detail. Her last relationship, if you can call it that was with a banker called Fred who she had two under average sexual encounters with. Polly is basically just coasting through life. She's not looking for Mr Right. She is just enjoying life and not worrying about her mistakes.

Polly wo
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
I really liked the synopsis of The Plus One but for me if fell a little flat. There were some brilliant one liners and humorous moments that made me laugh loudly and some emotionally charged heart-felt moments. I did enjoy the humour I liked Polly, I just didn't connect with her.
Personally I liked - Polly's personality
The funny lines and humorous moments
The flow of the story

I did not enjoy - The pace.
The 'it's been done so many times before' feeling. This isn't always an issue for me but the co
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my usual genre, but after reading other people’s encouraging reviews I requested my copy from netgalley in exchange for a review.

Polly the eternal single works at ‘Posh’ magazine a celebrity gossip magazine as a journalist writing stories about the royal aristocracy and other tongue in cheek articles!

Polly declared that her sex life was drier than a Weetabix! When all you’re friends are getting married you are sadly reminded that you are the only singleton.

When friend Lex announce
Lethmi
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book, with some inspiration from my favourite, Jane Austen. Some nice little references to other cultural icons too, very subtle so as not to make you feel stupid if you don’t share the same knowledge-base, which is also fine. For a change, I rather liked the protagonist. She wasn’t the silly, cringe worthy character that often graces the page of this sort of book, or the over-the-top cool party animal. I actually wanted her to find her happiness in whatever form that came. The only down s ...more
Adele Shea
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although there a alot of raunchy sex scenes in it, I found The Plus One a cute little book. All of the characters are so likeable, especially Jasper, who I now have an extreme crush on.
Polly Spencer, a Journalist for Posh! Magazine has been set a task to interview Jasper, who is basically playboy.
Having not been in a relationship for year, will Polly fall for Jasper's charms and live happily ever after.
Cait
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in2018
I don't say this to be disparaging but: this very much feels like I picked up a British Chick-Lit book from 2005. If I didn't know that this was a recent release, I honestly would have assumed it was written at the height of Marian Keyes. Just to give you an idea of the feel and style of the book.

It didn't really work for me, mostly because of the romance, but it was light and fluffy and might totally work for someone else.
Rachel
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only good thing about this book is the premise, which is the reason I read it in the first place. Wedding season and the frequent reminders that you don't have a plus-one are a regular gamut run by single women in their thirties (ie well past your sell-by date). However, this book was just plain bad. In fact, they should have taken the premise off her.

The writer, and by extension the main character Polly, have zero insight. There is loads of fat-shaming and aristocrat-worshipping, and no one
Kelly
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all! Love, romance, sadness and sex. I loved it. Funny at times and moving at others. It’s worth reading just for the aristocrats names themselves. Polly is alone and wondering why whilst her friends are marching up the aisle. Couple this with a job she is starting to hate and a family crisis you have the recipe for a fantastic story. This will be on every beach this summer. Can’t wait for the next book.
Ingstje
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*. This really was a perfect summer read to 'put your feet up and relax'. The Plus One has a high Bridget Jones vibe although Polly is a much cooler and fun person than Bridget and she's certainly not as clumsy and insecure, so I think I actually like her a whole lot more!

She doesn't have the most interesting job at a magazine called Posh! but I must say it did make for some very entertaining reading. Her job includes writing articles about the new IT-dog (because the rich have an obsession f
Mandy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous and heartwarming.  This book is the tale of a thirty+ year old singleton who isn't 'looking' but really would like to have that special someone.

The problem that faces Polly Spencer is finding the 'right' someone.

With her best friend's wedding looming, Polly doesn't want to attend alone, especially when everyone around her seems to have their 'plus one'. When an interview leads to a possible relationship she grabs it with both hands despite the warnings and her own gut instinct.  Cou
Rheanna
It took me a while to get into this book but once I pushed through the start it was a light read. I felt like bits were really rushed though and by the end it was predictable. I still enjoyed it though
Lotte
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit was leuk! Goed geschreven, heel grappig, personages die echt voelen en bij vlagen een heel verrassende plot. Het einde vond ik een kleín beetje lange-halen-snel-thuis (want daar verheug je je het hele boek op, dus go for it) maar ik ga zeker haar volgende boek lezen!
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of British humour
So, we have Polly, who's just turned 30 (and incidentally shares my birthday) and works as a journalist for a magazine called Posh!, a thinly-veiled rendering of Tatler - the kind of place where she works side-by-side with an earl's daughter and interviews marquesses. The marquess in question is Jasper Milton, whom she rapidly falls into a relationship with, despite him being a notorious playboy. On the side we have her mother, who's in stage 2 of breast cancer, her best friend Lex, who's gettin ...more
Linda Barrett
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book by new author Sophia Money-Coutts is a 3.5 star fun exciting read.
This book had me in stitches with its dry humour and hilarious antics.
Polly is definitely an interesting lead character and made me want to watch Bridget Jones Diary as I saw a lot of her in Polly.
Whilst the ending wasn't what I expected it to be and definitely kept me on my toes I enjoyed reading this book.
Polly and Jasper were an interesting combination but it definitely made for hot and steamy moments and hilarious an
Fiona Wilson
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, netgalley
This was a good read with humour throughout. I absolutely loved the character of Jasper and his eccentric and somewhat mad family. He is so set in his ways that it’s hard for him to commit to a relationship with Polly. I honestly was rooting for them to stay together throughout the story.

Polly is a funny character. The situations she finds herself in through her job provide a lot of funny moments.

All in all this is a great read for anyone looking for an easy book to enjoy.

Many thanks to Netgall
Tracey-J
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book but I didn't like it. The story was not engaging, it felt like a none story - I felt zero connection with any of the characters. I just can't even, I was bored throughout the whole thing, the only reason I didn't DNF this was because I was hoping for a good ending but that didn't happen either,
Abby Watson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know this sort of book is going to be predictable and with that in mind you need a fun plot, laugh out loud moments and likeable characters to compensate - this book didn’t have any of those things.

The cliches and stereotypes got to me, in particular some of the names which were ridiculous and far too OTT.

Not one for me, 1 star.

Thanks to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Veronica
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Lana
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic chick-lit book - this is Bridget Jones meets a OK! Magazine.

I took a few goes to start off but I’m glad I went back because shortly after, I was glued to the pages. I read the entire book in one sitting and developed a serious crick in my next.

It was a great, easy read with plenty of laughs and it had me guessing ‘who will be the Plus One’ right up until the end.
Rachel Martin
The Plus One is a classic chick-lit read - 30 something girl in a job she doesn't love searching for a man she might love. The setting moves between the wealthy world of the aristocracy to a chemo ward where the main character's Mum receives treatment, and I liked the variety.

Like a lot of chick-lits, this was an enjoyable read at the time, but I haven't thought about it since.
Denise Mcghie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Plus One [n] informal a person who accompanies an invited person to a social function or a reminder of being single, alone and absolutely plus none"
I love when you find a book that you can't put down and this is one. I related to Polly right from the start when she couldn't remember her work pc password after the festive break (me everytime after being away from work for more than a day ha!).
The first chapter or so reminded me slightly of Bridget Jones, an obvious comparison, single 30year
Sharley
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A no great shocker romance but flows along nicely and makes a lighthearted romance read for the summer.
It was slightly comical and fun as well as having a bit of romance, friendship and family. More of a chicklit rather than romance but I romped through and really enjoyed such a joyful read.
The character's didn't exactly get me loving or hating them but there was enough there to keep some interest.
The plus one is an obvious storyline with the obvious twists and revelations.
Angelspearl
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very curious about this book... why? Its summer and this time of year calls for a fun light-hearted read to lift your mood.
It was actually an enjoyable read. The story although quite predictable didn't quite get executed in a way that I loved. It was an emotional rollercoaster. From crazy cringe moments to sad moments and silly funny moments. It is really a fun read and it would recommend it to fans who just want to have a good laugh.
Rachel
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts

A wonderfully humorous story full of situations you want to hide from, while needing to read. Well written and with enough twists to satisfy even the most jaded reader, this is a must read for any romance fans –The characters are familiar friends you root for, or hate, but be warned the content has detailed and explicit hotness, embedded with romance and warmth. Reality combined with the dream.

Sara Oxton
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts a four-star read that will fizzle. I like a good girlie read, the drama and funnies, and this one on the surface does all that, but it does miss some pop. Polly made me chuckle at several different points in the story, but then she also made me rolls my eyes. I feel like if you are single you will love this book as Polly will make you chuckle at things you do yourself and make you realise dating is hard and you do need to laugh at life at times. Polly was good ...more
Carly
It took me a little while to get into this book but when I did it was an enjoyable read. The main character Polly I liked her sense of humour throughout although the ending was predictable. A good light hearted read.
Love Reading
This was an ok read. It made me laugh in places and upset in others although the end was quite predictable.
Nicki
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to imagine this is a debut novel. It is funny, fast paced and has all that it takes to be a summer hit. Get out your shades and find a beach somewhere, and you will be sorted. Believable? No. But that makes it all the more entertaining. For escapism, romance and a lot of sex that doesn't take itself too seriously- this is the one for you. Thanks to #NetGalley and the author Sophia Money-Coutts for the chance to read it.
Somya Sahni
Twitter | Blog | Instagram

This is a book for which I am extremely thankful to HQStories for sending it my way. Now this book is absolutely and I mean absolutely Hilarious.It’s a book about 30 year old Polly who works in POSH! Magazine and is not really happy with her job. Its about her navigating her life with her friends , her love life & her amzing mom in London. And it’s also a book which involves a lot of wine and raunchy sex scenes 😉.I really fell in love with Polly and how along with b