Start by marking “The Plus One” as Want to Read:
The Plus One

The Plus One

The Plus One [n] informal a person who accompanies an invited person to a wedding or a reminder of being single, alone and absolutely plus none

Polly’s not looking for ‘the one’, just the plus one
Polly Spencer is fine. She’s single, turning thirty and only managed to have sex twice last year (both times with a Swedish banker called Fred), but seriously, she’s fine. Even if
Published August 9th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Plus One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plus One

Start your review of The Plus One
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I love romance, and chick-literature. I love fast reads, and enjoyable nonsense. The cover looked so cute, and when I got approved the ARC on The Plus One from Sophia Money-Coutts on Netgalley, I was excited to read it. And then, it all started going downhill…

The Plus One is a book about Polly Spencer. She is thirty, single and works for Posh! Magazine. I didn’t like the Poly Spencer of now, and I thought, this might be a book where the main cha
Danielle's
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The plus one is about a lady called Polly. She doesn't take life too seriously and is a Bridget personality type. She's not good at dating, she quite often says the wrong thing and she over analyses every little detail. Her last relationship, if you can call it that was with a banker called Fred who she had two under average sexual encounters with. Polly is basically just coasting through life. She's not looking for Mr Right. She is just enjoying life and not worrying about her mistakes.

Polly wo
Tasha Mahoney
I really liked the synopsis of The Plus One but for me if fell a little flat. There were some brilliant one liners and humorous moments that made me laugh loudly and some emotionally charged heart-felt moments. I did enjoy the humour I liked Polly, I just didn't connect with her.
Personally I liked - Polly's personality
The funny lines and humorous moments
The flow of the story

I did not enjoy - The pace.
The 'it's been done so many times before' feeling. This isn't always an issue for me but the co
Erin
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, kobo
This was a cute little contemporary romance. A tad predictable but every once and awhile it is nice to just read a bit of fluff.

Polly, is a thirty something single, enjoying the dating life and working for a gossipy newsmagazine. When her boss sends her on assignment to interview a playboy and future Duke, sparks fly and she finds herself wondering if he could be the "one." Or at least the guy she can take to her best friends' wedding.

I didn't find the book outrageously funny and it was hard t
Rachel
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
The only good thing about this book is the premise, which is the reason I read it in the first place. Wedding season and the frequent reminders that you don't have a plus-one are a regular gamut run by single women in their thirties (ie well past your sell-by date). However, this book was just plain bad. In fact, they should have taken the premise off her.

The writer, and by extension the main character Polly, has zero insight. There is loads of fat-shaming and aristocrat-worshipping, and no one
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not my usual genre, but after reading other people’s encouraging reviews I requested my copy from netgalley in exchange for a review.

Polly the eternal single works at ‘Posh’ magazine a celebrity gossip magazine as a journalist writing stories about the royal aristocracy and other tongue in cheek articles!

Polly declared that her sex life was drier than a Weetabix! When all you’re friends are getting married you are sadly reminded that you are the only singleton.

When friend Lex announce
Lethmi
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun book, with some inspiration from my favourite, Jane Austen. Some nice little references to other cultural icons too, very subtle so as not to make you feel stupid if you don’t share the same knowledge-base, which is also fine. For a change, I rather liked the protagonist. She wasn’t the silly, cringe worthy character that often graces the page of this sort of book, or the over-the-top cool party animal. I actually wanted her to find her happiness in whatever form that came. The only down s ...more
Adele Shea
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although there a alot of raunchy sex scenes in it, I found The Plus One a cute little book. All of the characters are so likeable, especially Jasper, who I now have an extreme crush on.
Polly Spencer, a Journalist for Posh! Magazine has been set a task to interview Jasper, who is basically playboy.
Having not been in a relationship for year, will Polly fall for Jasper's charms and live happily ever after.
Cait
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in2018
I don't say this to be disparaging but: this very much feels like I picked up a British Chick-Lit book from 2005. If I didn't know that this was a recent release, I honestly would have assumed it was written at the height of Marian Keyes. Just to give you an idea of the feel and style of the book.

It didn't really work for me, mostly because of the romance, but it was light and fluffy and might totally work for someone else.
mindful.librarian ☀️
A perfectly pleasant diversion 😊
Dani
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dianne
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys-arcs, 2019
A very fast, slightly humorous, and sometimes frustrating read.

If you have read Bridget Jones's Diary then you have read this book -with a few changes! A little heavy on the sex, and what should have been a surprise twist at the end really wasn't...a little obvious for my taste.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.
Stephanie
DNF-ed at 21%. This was occasionally humorous, but the main character is really unlikable and I am not invested at all.
Jacqueline
Not in the same league as What Happens Now

I absolutely loved this author's second book, What Happens Now. It was witty, poignant and romantic. Unfortunately this was silly and unbelievable featuring daft caricatures that didn't feel authentic. I felt zero chemistry and the ending came from nowhere. I'm just relieved I read this second or I'd never have picked up another book from this author on the strength of this one.

Complete story. I'd recommend her second book but not this one I'm afraid.
Susan Kennedy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I loved the authors writing style, wit and humor. The story was fantastic and it drew me right in. I loved each character and thought the character development was really well done.

I think what I loved most about this story is that I could really relate to it and understood the character. Polly was so real and her thoughts were so easy to connect to. Life and emotions were understood; I could put myself in her spot and feel the exact same way. I laughed out lou
Moon Love
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! It's very funny!
Kelly
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all! Love, romance, sadness and sex. I loved it. Funny at times and moving at others. It’s worth reading just for the aristocrats names themselves. Polly is alone and wondering why whilst her friends are marching up the aisle. Couple this with a job she is starting to hate and a family crisis you have the recipe for a fantastic story. This will be on every beach this summer. Can’t wait for the next book.
Ingstje
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*. This really was a perfect summer read to 'put your feet up and relax'. The Plus One has a high Bridget Jones vibe although Polly is a much cooler and fun person than Bridget and she's certainly not as clumsy and insecure, so I think I actually like her a whole lot more!

She doesn't have the most interesting job at a magazine called Posh! but I must say it did make for some very entertaining reading. Her job includes writing articles about the new IT-dog (because the rich have an obsession f
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @10%
2019; HQ/HarperCollins

I read just 10% of this novel so I did not give this one a huge change. This is because I recently tried to read her other novel What Happens Now? and the humour and story just did not work for me. I am picky when it comes to romances, especially romantic comedies. I think with rom-coms you have to really enjoy the main character and her humour. It's like becoming besties as you have to feel for all the pratfalls that ensues. I am giving up as of now on this author.
Mandy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Humorous and heartwarming.  This book is the tale of a thirty+ year old singleton who isn't 'looking' but really would like to have that special someone.

The problem that faces Polly Spencer is finding the 'right' someone.

With her best friend's wedding looming, Polly doesn't want to attend alone, especially when everyone around her seems to have their 'plus one'. When an interview leads to a possible relationship she grabs it with both hands despite the warnings and her own gut instinct.  Cou
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of British humour
So, we have Polly, who's just turned 30 (and incidentally shares my birthday) and works as a journalist for a magazine called Posh!, a thinly-veiled rendering of Tatler - the kind of place where she works side-by-side with an earl's daughter and interviews marquesses. The marquess in question is Jasper Milton, whom she rapidly falls into a relationship with, despite him being a notorious playboy. On the side we have her mother, who's in stage 2 of breast cancer, her best friend Lex, who's gettin ...more
Michele
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

So honest it will make you cringe a bit but so heartwarming and fun it will make you giggle, The Plus One was a stellar debut from Sophia Money-Coutts.

‘He was clearly the boy your mother warned you about but he was also charming… More charming than the papers made out. Or maybe it was the wine?’

I truly did laugh and cringe my way through this rom-com thanks to our author’s dry-witted writing voice that flowed easily across the pages. Polly, our heroine,
Desirae Miller
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tracey-J
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I finished this book but I didn't like it. The story was not engaging, it felt like a none story - I felt zero connection with any of the characters. I just can't even, I was bored throughout the whole thing, the only reason I didn't DNF this was because I was hoping for a good ending but that didn't happen either,
Gmr
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polly is a grand character, though she thinks/shares things QUITE literally...and if overthinking was a sport, she should have been signed up for it since birth! Honestly, I loved the humor, even when it strayed into the "adult" realm of things, and found myself stopping rather often to share a scene or chuckle with those around me. Now some of it may not be shareable depending on your audience...remember I said she is VERY literal, so there is no dancing around things going on here...but still, ...more
Lacey
Thank you to Edelweiss+ and Sophia Money-Coutts for a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I am one that loves romance, fluff, happy-endings and every possible romance plot that a book could have. I've read enough of them to know what makes a good one and one that doesn't fit in my idea of a good one. This, unfortunately, is one of those circumstances.

I will start off by saying that there were some lines in this that were absolute zingers. These one-liners had me laughing ou
Allison
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to Sophia Money-Coutts and Harper Collins for this ARC.

Polly is a 30-year-old single woman. No boyfriend in sight. But she's happy, so she thinks, until she meets Jasper, Marquess of Milton. He's from a rich, royal, eccentric family that enjoys horses and tweed, a little too much. Soon Polly is involved and can't understand why jet-setting Jasper is smitten with her. Well, you know as soon as Polly lets her guard down, the relationship spirals. On top of that, Polly's mum is battlin
Linda Barrett
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book by new author Sophia Money-Coutts is a 3.5 star fun exciting read.
This book had me in stitches with its dry humour and hilarious antics.
Polly is definitely an interesting lead character and made me want to watch Bridget Jones Diary as I saw a lot of her in Polly.
Whilst the ending wasn't what I expected it to be and definitely kept me on my toes I enjoyed reading this book.
Polly and Jasper were an interesting combination but it definitely made for hot and steamy moments and hilarious an
Fiona Wilson
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, netgalley
This was a good read with humour throughout. I absolutely loved the character of Jasper and his eccentric and somewhat mad family. He is so set in his ways that it’s hard for him to commit to a relationship with Polly. I honestly was rooting for them to stay together throughout the story.

Polly is a funny character. The situations she finds herself in through her job provide a lot of funny moments.

All in all this is a great read for anyone looking for an easy book to enjoy.

Many thanks to Netgall
adaynasmile
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
I won this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

I have to admit that I really enjoyed this book. The comparison to Bridget Jones is a good one. The story is light, comical, romantic, and serious at just the right moments. Polly was a lovable character whom you couldn't help but cheer for. Even when she made stupid decisions. I just couldn't help but want the best for Polly and to see her in a happy relationship.

The only thing I could have done without was the sex. But that's just my preference. Over

• No, We Can't Be Friends
  • If I Never Met You
  • Just Friends
  • The First Date
  • Our Stop
  • The Love Square
  • We Just Clicked
  • As Luck Would Have It
  • Truly, Madly, Like Me: The brand-new rom-com from the author of You, Me, Forever
  • The Spare Bedroom