Start by marking “Me, My Elf & I” as Want to Read:
Me, My Elf & I

Me, My Elf & I

(Zephyr #1)

It's not often you see an elf in the middle of Brooklyn, let alone a tall, blond, gorgeous elf in the middle of one of the most prestigious performing arts high schools in the country. And yet, that's just where Zephyr Addler finds herself: smack dab in the middle of a bustling New York City school, worlds away from the secluded woodland community she knows so well. But Ze ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Speak (first published March 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Me, My Elf & I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, My Elf & I

Rebecca McNutt
Me, My Elf & I was a creative story, but a bit of a cliche one. I did enjoy it, it has some interesting scenarios and characters, but it follows every YA fantasy trope you can think of and then some, making it very predictable. It feels too dramatic at times, including the erupting feud between Zephyr and her queen bee rival over something so silly it's not even funny. Somewhere along time way I just gave up on caring.
Natalie
Since the main character Zephyr is an elf, I was expecting a Christmas theme to the book, but it wasn’t Christmassy at all.

The plot is very similar to Mean Girls but with elves, and it was very dated, with references to MySpace, Friendster, Treo phones, and other now-defunct technology and social media.

I didn’t really care for Zephyr as a character. She was wishy-washy, kind of bratty, and immature.
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
This was really cute and I enjoyed reading something that wasn't too difficult.
Kate McMurry
Mean Girls Meets Elf, a fish-out-of-water, comic YA fantasy

Fifteen-year-old Zephyr Addler has just moved to Brooklyn with her five siblings, her naturopath mother, and her folk-rock-star father from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Switching from being home schooled in a cottage in the woods to attending a sophisticated arts high school in a big city isn't Zephyr's only culture shock. She's living for the first time among humans.

Zephyr is an elf with the magical ability of casting spells and can
Heather
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is the typical story of the new pretty girl at school. She becomes friends with the first people that talk to her. She locks on to the popular boy/boyfriend of reigning queen of the school as the one she loves even though she doesn't know him at all. She butts heads with and bests the jealous queen. All this happens while she maintains her wonderful, sweet self (only deviating slightly to best the mean girl but she feels really bad about it).

All this can still make a good story if it's
Ariel
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book came out in 2009, and it feels like it with the cringe-y IMs and slang. As someone who was a teen on AIM in 2009, I can safely say that no one ever sounded like that.

Aside from the cringe worthy writing, it features a "fish out of water" main character in Zephyr who was terribly annoying and came off like a complete idiot before turning into a total b*tch. The love interest is the personification of a human trash bag (because he's full of garbage) and there was so much girl on girl hat
Moriah
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read about how an elf was adapting to human culture. The book definitely showed readers more about human society though.
Monika  ‎(っˆ•ˆ)っ Lee
Did you ever feel nervous when transferring to a new school where you don't know anyone? Do you ever wonder about how the teachers and students are like? Do you ever find yourself wondering if you'll fit in or not? In the book Me, my elf and I by Heather Swain, Zephyr Addler is sheltering a HUGE secret. She's tall, blonde, beautiful and... an elf. She transferred to a famous New York City performing arts school from a secluded woodland community that shelters elves from the human society called ...more
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I can't remember the last book I read about an elf, let alone a chick lit book! So this YA novel was cute, refreshing, and needed in the world of realistic fiction and vampires of today's lit.

Zephra ia a teenage elf who has grown up in a secluded town of elves in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Her dad is a growing folk artist, and the family moves to New York City so that he can record videos and expand his art. Zephra is excited because she is able to enroll in NYC's performing arts school, w
Bookworm007
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Claudia
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, it's a silly teen fantasy, disgustingly fluffy in parts. But here's the thing. It's the "fish out of water" theme that does it for me. The main character is a teen elf who lives in our world in a secluded elf community in the woods, but she and her family go to Brooklyn, NY to live so that she can go to some performing arts school. Fish-out-of-water tropes ensue! There's a mean girl, romance, and at one point she accidentally outs her gay friend, causing friendship angst! (And the awesome ...more
Ash R.
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl who just moved to New York. In her new school everyone thinks of her as a beautiful girl. But others are just jealous of her and what she brought to this school. This makes the school bully Bella make fun of her, and back-stab her!

I can make a text to self connection to this because when I was in elementary school the kids use to make fun of me. sometimes it would be my own "friends". So I can understand and relate to how she feels. We both felt hurt, and sad, also f
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-fey, teen, novel
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, but it was a cute story. Zephyr is an elf who starts at an erdler, or human, high school. She desperately wants to fit in, but doesn't always understand the lingo that the other students use. She quickly makes friends and starts to get involved, including signing up for a tv commercial audition. But, she makes an enemy of the most popular girl at the school, Bella, and drama starts ensuing, including a new love interest. I got a little frustrated ...more
B.B.
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Suzanne Schack
I loved the complete and utter ignorance of the character and how she adapts-I do mean that lovingly, I promise! I had started the book, put it down, considered returning it, and then picked it up again. Glad I did-just finished the second book and can't wait for the third! There's a lot of history, a lot of things for the group to figure out and then there's Bella. No, I'm not talking about that Bella! LOL! This Bella would give mean girls a run for their money-and what will she do next, now th ...more
Elle
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pre-teens, teens
Shelves: library, read-in-2009
Elaine Warner
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun to read. Zephyr Addler moves to New York City with her family while her father works on his music career. Sounds like an every day occurrence, but the Addler family is from a small community in Wisconsin made up of elves. Elves are nice people who live a simple life, but when Zephyr moves to New York she finds that real people, or erdlers, are not so nice and don't always say what they mean.
Alicia
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wisty
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Although this book sometimes dragged on and the writing was occasionally childish, it was ultimately a fun read that had me laughing out loud a few times. However, I think I'll skip the sequel. And I was NOT a fan of most of the characters ( I'm looking at you, Timber)

Actual rating is more of a 3.6.
Mina Khan
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Going in I expected this to be a bit hokey...and while there were a few eye-rolling moments, overall it's a very cute story with interesting characters, thought provoking questions, and an important message of being true to oneself. Glad I read it...might even re-read it down the road.
Annie
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
-------------aaaaaaaaaaa-----------------wwwwwwww------------------eeeeeeee------------ssssssss-----------------oooooooooo-------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmmm--------------eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trina Knittle
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a cute read. It was a decent elf book and it was a nice change from the typical books I read. It was decently paced and quick to read. It was cute, refreshing, and had me laughing. The characters were all interesting and I didn't find one that I disliked. I loved how the story was written.
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
It's rare that a YA book doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I picked it up because I love Heather Swain, and it was a quick, cute read. I would encourage my imaginary teenage daughter to read this.
Diana
Mar 06, 2010 rated it liked it
ok,not wonderful
Safaa
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so funny and awesome. its so cute how she
is so clueless about everything in new york.
Sarah Cummens
I loved how believable the story was, not in the sense of going and looking for elfs, but Heather Swain explains her story thouroughly.
Jacqueline Moore
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome i loved the drama and it was very cute
Amy
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. It wasn't bad or anything. It was actually kind of cute. I might pick it up again later, but i just wasn't in the mood for it. If i finish it, i'll write a full review.
Hannah
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
*yawn* Too much like a teenage human girl novel. If it weren't for the occaisional bout of magic, I would have tossed it.
Nicole
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
it was not the best for kids but has alot of cusing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
missing the point 2 18 Jul 14, 2011 09:27AM

• Haint Misbehavin'
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • DupliKate
  • Make Me (Demon Underground, #4)
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • The Transient (Castle, #1)
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • The Summer of Shambles (Ondine #1)
  • Why I Let My Hair Grow Out (Morgan Rawlinson, #1)
  • Wolf Mark
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
  • Chasing Boys
  • Three Good Deeds
  • Prom Time (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #21)
  • Shamrock Shenanigans (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #19)
  • Mad Love
Heather Swain lives in a crooked house in Brooklyn, New York with her husband, two children, and a barkless dog. She is the author of novels for adults and young adults, craft books, and numerous short stories, personal essays, and non-fiction articles.

Zephyr (2 books)