Start by marking “Barking Dogs” as Want to Read:
Barking Dogs

Barking Dogs (Mitch Helwig #1)

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
*** "A real page-turner... Not to be missed." - Locus ***

Mitch Helwig is a cop who has gone over the edge. He's got a Barking Dog-an infallible, illegal lie-detector, worn under street clothes - and he's tired of being lied to. He's a criminal's worst nightmare.

**** "The near-future cop-thriller is a growing sub-genre, in which old-time heroes walk the dark and subtly al

Published December 1st 1989 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Barking Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barking Dogs

Brian Gaston
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A fun read and a page turner. One of my favourite books by Terry Green. I miss his writing.
Gwen Nicodemus
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Barking dog is a science fiction novel by Terence M. Green, written in 1988, portraying a time in 1998. So, even though it was futuristic at the time it was written, its future is pretty old. That said, the book was cool. I wish I had read it in 1988. He talks about baboon heart transplants, hovering cars, and stage one and stage two thinking. (I saw a hover car demo back then, and thinking back on it makes me really wish I read this back then.)

More central to the story than hovering cars and ba
Kate
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, owned, ebook
While the sci-fi and police-procedural elements of this novel were intriguing - the tech was relatively believable and the integration of the Barking Dog was interesting, although I wonder about the societal impact of such a device - too much of the book was simply disjointed, or a screed on police ineffectiveness. The entire novel was, really, a set-piece to discuss how police departments are being hamstrung by politics, and how technology is advancing to the point where cops can't keep pace wi ...more
Marie-sofie
May 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Really low quality, poor writing and lack of world. There are some descriptions that really seem to be there for padding so people won't complain about lack of descriptions, while failing to do any kind of build up. It's not the worst I've read, I did finish reading it, but it's just low quality writing.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the premise but overall it seemed to be too much on the "preachy" side, not in a religious way.
Nathan Avery
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
If you want a book about a gritty future cop and laser pistols that reads like a bad 80s movie, then you could do a lot worse than Barking Dogs. Nothing new here, but enjoyable in its own way.
Peter Vanderheyden
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun read and easy read, with interesting ideas. Like that author is Canadian. Would have liked the book to be longer and plot more involved.
Aaron Humphrey
Jun 22, 2013
Robert Burton
Sep 12, 2015
david
Apr 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
220182
Green received a BA in English in 1967 from the University of Toronto, an MA from University College, Dublin, and a BEd in 1973 from the University of Toronto. He is the author of 8 books (7 novels and a short story collection) and is a 2-time World Fantasy Award finalist and a 5-time Prix Aurora Award finalist. His work has been translated into French, Italian, Danish, Polish and Portuguese.

Gree
More about Terence M. Green...

Mitch Helwig (2 books)