Start by marking “Unnecessary Roughness (ESC Mavericks, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unnecessary Roughness (ESC Mavericks, #2)

Unnecessary Roughness

(ESC Mavericks #2)

Owen

Three years ago, the high school rivalry I had with Nate Vincent kept me at the top of my game. But then I made one stupid mistake, and both of our promising careers took a nosedive because of it. Now the only school that will let me play is the same one Nate landed at: the ESC Mavericks.

I want to make amends, but the second Nate sees me, that old rivalry flares to lif
Published February 22nd 2018 by LoveLight Press

To ask other readers questions about Unnecessary Roughness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unnecessary Roughness

Start your review of Unnecessary Roughness (ESC Mavericks, #2)
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
DNF.

I enjoyed Hendricks' Eastshore Tigers series, and I would recommend it if you’re in the mood for sexy yet sweet NA sports romance.

This...was not like the Eastshore Tigers series. At all.

ETA: I wasn’t going to address this because I’m not a health care professional and my knowledge on the subject is limited to publicly available information. I didn't want to get anything wrong. But then I saw a 1-star Amazon review from an actual health care professional, and it validated my concerns. So I’m
Teal
** 2.5 stars **

Another casualty of THHTS: Too Happy Halfway-Through Syndrome. I see this plot structure occasionally in m/m romance (maybe it shows up in all types of romance, but I only read m/m), and it simply does not work for me. Around the halfway mark (60% for this book), the MCs have reached their HEA. Except -- there's still a huge chunk of book remaining. Gee, what could possibly be awaiting the reader in that chunk?

You know what. Drama, misunderstanding, misery, separation, angst, lot
Cadiva
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Hendricks

This is another superb sports romance from Alison Hendricks and even better than the first in the series.

A true enemies to lovers romance, it's full of high school rivalries carried on into young adulthood and is full of sexual tensions and drama.

I liked both characters, each had flaws which meant they both acted like complete idiots at times but there wasn't any dramady in this one. The conflicts were born out of real fears and pent-up emotions.

More please!
Santy
Alison Hendricks is my go-to author when I want a book to put a smile on my face and this didn’t disappoint .

Admittedly, the story wasn’t perfect and there were a few things it could’ve done without, but in their own way they added to my reading experience so I can’t really complain too much. It also really came down to the fact that both MCs made me care about them and sometimes , that’s all it takes.

I suspect Eli’s book is next and I’m very interested in how it turns out
Nerea
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-sports
Not for me, insta-lust after being enemies at the high school. Zero relationship building, they hate each other and they end fooling around so quickly! Also Nate´s character get on my nerves in several occasions.
Fabi
I know I'm repeating myself, but I really, really like Alison Hendricks' football themed MM Romance novels.

This series, as well as the Eastshore Tigers series, focus on New Adult romance featuring college football players. Each is a stand alone novel even though previous characters make an occasional appearance.

These books always put a smile on my face as I watch two talented young men overcome obstacles and start their new lives with a true love.

A big thank to the author for this wonderful ARC
Pianisuparse
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 'I seem to be going against the majority here but I really enjoyed this it was just what I needed. I love a good enemies to lovers book with lots of cant stand you and I wanna smash you in the fucking face but cant keep my dick outta you fucking. When they happen to be two hot as hell American Football players ... BONUS. I liked Nate and Owens story and the progression of their relationship. Only thing I would have liked was seeing Garrett or Diego from the first book but that's just me. All ...more
Teri
somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars
There were things I really liked(view spoiler) and things that didn't work so well for me (view spoiler)
Aly
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm so happy that M/M sports romances exist!

This was a great read. I wish it was longer! I liked seeing Nate and Owen as rivals and the tension between them. Owen struggled with his feelings for a while, but with a dad like his, no wonder. The only thing I missed was there was no mention of the boys from the previous book. I would've liked to see them again.
Earlyn
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is a enemies to lovers college romance.
not the best I've read from Alison, but it still kept my interest to the end.
Christine
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story. I like the rivalry between Nate & Owen and how they had to live together to understand how something that happens in high school can care over in life further if you don't deal with it. ...more
Theresa
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
First person POV. Clunky and partial character development. A lot of it was “told”, even after the fact, instead of it coming out through the MCs behaviors and internal thoughts. Some of it was never fully explained. For examle, Nate’s promiscuity, Owen’s sexuality, Owen’s attraction to Nate, Owen’s controlling father. The relationship development never got off the ground before the separaton plot device. Also, the relationship sex never matched the heat level of the hate sex.
Kk
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have given this five stars if the plot was more original..

As it was, it reminded me too much of Down by Contact by Santino Hassell. Not verbatim, mind you because that would be plagiarism. A football romance where the MCs have a history of antagonism, a nasty rivalry. One is basically a hole with legs and the other was so deeply in the closet that Google probably couldn't find him. The verbal sparring is a form of foreplay between them until neither can take it any longer and basically o
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

So three years previously, being rivals on their school, Owen did something that pretty much destroyed any potential of him and Nate ever being friends. Now, going to the same team with Nate, Owen wanted to make amends. Of course for Nate, that was OUT of the question...

I thought this was a quite entertaining rivals-to-lovers story. Yes, their rivalry seems to be rather juvenile for me, but HEY, they are college kids. PLUS what Owen did back in high school was pretty shitty
Jeffrey G
Jan 26, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a short book, more of a novella than a novel. This is a "romance novel" with cheesy sex scenes, etc. However, it is more than that. This is a romance between two men, one of whom was outed in high school, and the other of whom is in the closet. The author has unusual empathy for these characters, especially for the closeted character. Living in the closet does crazy things to your head and it can make you act real crazy. This book does not judge these characters. When you are done readin ...more
Kristian Erdmann
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahh football!!

I loved this book and these characters. This is an enemies to lovers romance with football on top so really what's not to love. These two are easy beyond hot and once they finally get past their drama...well as past it as they do...these two are magic!! Neither had the easiest path in growing up and so poor choices that were made from confusion and jealously destroyed them when they were young and when they meet again as adults things explode and not in that hotsexy way..at least a
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Ahhh....Owen and Nate....a enemies to friends to lover's kinda tale set in the world of the Mavericks.

Another good story about two men who, maybe they want to kill each other, maybe they love each other....let's see how this plays out.

You have one guy, Owen, playing ball and having sex, that's what his life is all about. He really has no other worries it would appear. That is, until is high school rival and worst enemy who outed him comes to play on the same team-literally ;)

The two have so muc
Markie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, Hendricks has an amazing ability build up heart-pounding sexual tension between two extremely hot characters. This story follows two up and coming college football players who have been at each other's throats since high school. Nate, a loud and proud man whore who loves his smutty reputation and cocky attitude, and Owen who is living under his successful father's shadow and thumb, clash together unexpectedly on the same team. Unnecessary Roughness is a sizzling enemy to lovers story ...more
Chelsia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love M/M books & Alison has not disappointed Me yet with any of Her Books.
I love how Alison is always including characters from Her previous books in the current one. The only thing I did not love about this book was the plot seemed to be rushed in a couple of spots. Besides those few parts this book wasn’t amazing.
There is nothing I love more then a book about frenemies/ rivals that ended with a happy ending!
Owen is a loveable young man trying to impress His father and love His own life.
Nate
John-Torleif  Harris
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how the Eastshore Tigers and ESC Mavericks books aren't just about players, but the sport itself is actually a huge facet of their lives. Too many times in sports romances, you have athletes that don't ever seem to actually engage in sport - which makes Ms. Hendricks' books so delightful.

I had a bit of trouble sympathizing with Nate throughout most of this book. I just didn't like his refusal to accept that Owen might have changed in the last three years - at least until I understood why.
Liza
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Alison Hendricks!! I absolutely love enemies-to-lovers, especially when it has to do with sports rivals. All that testosterone flying on the football field, you know it's going to be explosive! Nate and Owen were high school rivals and end up at the same school. Sparks still fly every time they are near each other. Yummy, delicious sparks . . . . But oh how I wanted to find the nearest gator and feed Owen's father to it. Typical overbearing former football star trying to re ...more
Taya
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan Alison Hendricks's football themed books. I barely know anything about actual football but I gobble up these books like water. I really enjoyed reading enemies to lovers story. So I really had no really self control but to read this book as I had time.

For the most part I enjoyed myself. I read this story in one sitting and definitely earn a re read in the future. Owen and Nate were explosive together. The one issue I did have was the whole PrEP thing. Nate was too promiscuous and reli
Pablito
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
4.5*

One of my go-to authors in the enemies-to-lovers genre, Alison Hendricks manages to bring all the tension of the gridiron to the dorm bed in this lusty, rival-driven romance between two high school players who carry their beef to college. But their 'beef', it turns out, is best worked out in bed, and as roommates forced to share a confined space, the endzone is always in full view.

If athletic rivalries and/or enemies-to-lovers is what drives your mojo, both books in this series by Kendricks
Interrupted Reader
Nate and Owen. Enemies to lovers football romance. Quick, easy read. Solid chemistry. I'm a sucker for any hate-to-love story, so this worked for me despite the stereotypical plot. I agree with others that a quick google search about PrEP would have been worthwhile for the author to properly reference its use in her writing. Basic research is just one of the little things that set a great author apart from a good one.
B-, maybe reread
MT
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Few things are as good as this author’s football romances. This is another winner. Absolutely loved Owen and Nate. Their individual strength and resilience really makes them sneak into your heart. Their smoking heart chemistry is just the icing on the cake. Hope that Eli gets his own story!
Nic
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay

This is not a true continuation from the first book. Some details names and teams and so forth are different. So this book can be read as a standalone. Gosh I must say Nate makes it hard to like him because of all his walls and his explosive attitude. Owen struggled to fund himself and what made him happy. It was an entertaining read.
Mimi
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I had a lot of fun with this book. The cheeky banter, while a little corny at times, kept me grinning throughout and I've always been a sucker for the enemies-to-lovers trope, of which this was a lovely example. I admit, first person POVs are not usually my thing, but it definitely worked here and was even better for it so don't let it stop you! Alison Hendricks does it again! ...more
Lori
*2.5 stars*
Not bad, just a bit rushed and predictable. I probably would have given it another half a star if not for Nate's "I'm on PrEP, so it's ok if I bareback the entire male population of this school" attitude.
Maite
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-finished
I thought about stop reading this one when I was in the middle, because I wasn’t feelign the chemistry between the two main characters. but I finished it. and yeah, their backstory wasn’t too well explained for me to understand their feelings for each other. the writing was good though!!!
Charo
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Amazing story and hot sexy main characters written with such depth. I didn't want the story of Nate and Owen to end. A must read.
Charo

• Bat Boy (Easton U Pirates #1)
  • Home Plate (Easton U Pirates, #2)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey #3)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • Quarterback Sneak (Sugar Land Saints, #1)
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)
  • Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)
  • Thorned Heart
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey, #1)
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
  • Out in Spring (Out in College, #6)
  • Roughing (Portland Seabirds, #1)
  • Fake Friends (Never Just Friends, #2)
  • The Faker Rulebook
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Cross the Line

ESC Mavericks (2 books)
  • Roughing the Passer (ESC Mavericks, #1)

News & Interviews