Start by marking “The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond” as Want to Read:

The #1 bestselling author of The Future of the Mind traverses the frontiers of astrophysics, artificial intelligence, and technology to offer a stunning vision of man's future in space, from settling Mars to traveling to distant galaxies.

Formerly the domain of fiction, moving human civilization to the stars is increasingly becoming a scientific possibility--and a necessity
Audiobook, 12 pages
Published February 20th 2018 by Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group

Start your review of The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond
Jenna
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek Enteprise GIF - StarTrek Enteprise SpaceShip GIFs

I don't think it's possible for Michio Kaku to write a book that I don't absolutely love. Dark matter, antimatter, space travel, black holes, laser-propelled nanoships, quantum physics. String theory!! What is there not to love??

Much of this book is speculation and yet as always with Mr. Kaku's books, I learned quite a lot. He uses physics to speculate where we might be in the future, both near and far. He discusses inter-planetary travel and terra-forming other planets, not just in our own sol
Manuel Antão
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

"The Future of Humanity - Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond Earth" by Michio Kaku

I should really be appealing to the 5th Dimension Organic Masters who push the buttons of the AI Overlords who keep our computer simulation running, despite them being blissfully unaware of their 5th dimension AI Overlords, who haven't got the foggiest about their 6th Dimension Organic Masters. Her Noodly Majesty l
Will M.
In other words, our destiny is to become the gods that we once feared and worshipped. Science will give us the means by which we can shape the universe in our image. The question is whether we will have the wisdom of Solomon to accompany this vast celestial power.

I haven't read a non-fiction novel in more than 2 years. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon this novel. I even tried searching my browsing history to try and figure things out but apparently I just randomly searched it on ama
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
The starting signal for the unlimited spread of the human species and the essence of science fiction.

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

As it was often the case in its history, humanity is at the beginning of a new epoch. With the striking difference that there are for the first time no limits. The purpose of the colonization of space is well suited to illustrate the minuteness of the earth. It is not even a quantum state in
Emma Sea
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
while I did not enjoy this book, and definitely do not rec it to adults, if you have a bright 8-12 year old interested in science, get them this!

"The origin of the moon has fascinated humanity for millennia. Because the moon rules the night, it has often been associated with darkness or madness. The word lunatic comes from luna, the Latin word for moon." (Kindle Locations 758-759).

"Since the composition of the moon is so similar to Earth’s, the truth may be that mining the interior of the moon
Peter Tillman
I spent a couple of hours skimming and scanning Prof. Kaku's latest book, and I'm giving up on it. I'm not quite sure why I find his writing style so profoundly irritating. His information is generally correct -- although other reviewers call him out for some bloopers, which I didn't see. I guess it's because his grand ideas of the future of humanity just seem, well, tired and old-hat. He can take something that should be really cool, like the chances of some future civilization developing faste ...more
Kristy K
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arc, netgalley, science
This is utterly fascinating and written in a way that was easy to understand. Kaku mixes science with fiction (pulled from pop culture, books, etc) in order to explain what could or couldn’t happen in the future.

I was surprised how easy it was to grasp the ideas and loved the examples he gives. His love of science is evident in his writing and very contagious.

I have another book of his that I’ve been hesitant to start (I was afraid it’d be over my head), but after reading this I’m eager to div
Jack Chaucer
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing trip through the universe and beyond, which apparently could happen some distant day. From colonizing Mars to one day laser-porting our consciousness to distant galaxies at the speed of light, the possibilities dreamed up by science fiction writers could become reality, and even be surpassed, if humans can find a way to get out of our own way. Well-written, thoroughly researched and accessible to the average reader, this book will expand minds about what's possible and ho ...more
Sonja Arlow

THIS is what I wanted Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything to be, speculative science combined with hard facts and historic titbits about science development.

Space travel has experienced a revival in the past few years thanks to billionaires like Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk, both setting their sights on accelerating space programmes.

Does this mean every time I buy a book on Amazon I am indirectly contributing to space exploration? I like that idea.

Just
Carrie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounded ⬆

This is a speculative vision of the future based on current scientific understanding and the likelihood of making science fiction a reality. This book is highly informative and intriguing. Kaku uses current physics theories and theoretical understandings to discuss the possibility of becoming a multi-planetary species and achieving interstellar travel. The author then describes what advances in both scientific understanding and technology is needed to accomplish these feats.

The firs
Yoly
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, that was awkward. With Michio Kaku as the author, I was expecting a book more about facts, but I ended up reading a book where the author mixes some bits of science with tons of “some day we…” and TONS of movies and books spoilers :)

I think the book was OK, I guess I was expecting something different.
Kamil
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!
Satyajeet

I had a mild lacrimal event of joy when I finished this book.
Alberto
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi antiguo médico me contaba que leyendo los libros de Michio Kaku siempre estaba enterado de los últimos avances en todos los campos de la ciencia. Y lleva bastante razón. Por otro lado últimamente saca tantos libros que se repite un pelín. Además algunas partes inevitablemente son durillas de entender. Dicho lo cual siempre es recomendable cualquier cosa que publique este señor: se aprende mucho y se lo pasa uno muy bien.
Book
The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond Earth by Michio Kaku

“The Future of Humanity” is an awe-inspiring exploration of the pioneers who have the energy, vision, and the resources to change the fate of humanity. He also analyzes the advance in technology that will make it possible to leave the Earth and settle elsewhere. Cofounder of string field theory, best-selling author and professor of theoretical physics at the City University of
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
This was a fascinating piece of speculative non fiction that explored how humans might move beyond earth and eventually expand into the universe. I found some of the information incredibly basic so I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to readers with a lot of science background. However, I think this will appeal to readers with a fairly simple understanding of space who are interested in learning more about the topic.
Books on Stereo
A fun, yet tedious asides about the multitude of possibilities for future human evolution. Not overly dense, but enjoyable as a whole.
Gorab Jain
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2019, non-fiction, sci-fi
A science non-fiction based on space exploration. Picked this thinking it would be "speculative" non-fiction… and was curious to know how can travelling to distant starts be categorized as non-fiction.
This turned out way more than anticipated.

Structured pretty well. Starts with the history, on how the first rocket was conceptually conceived and what are the challenges, financial and ethical, for the space program.

From setting feet to moon, the pace picks up and we're talking about mining resourc
Justin
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku is at his best (at least for layman) when his enthusiasm for creative science, science fiction, and the edges of our knowledge blend into a surprisingly accessible read. That approach comes through much of The Future of Humanity, where his speculative science is sometimes quite compatible with speculative fiction.

This one's a little different from Hyperspace; there's less of Kaku's own work and more of his reporting on the work of others, whether as historical o
Sotiris Makrygiannis
I love Dr Strangelove Mr Kaku :) but this book is proof of the trend observed with Pinker: take a popular topic, research all the news in the last 10 years and make a book about it. Well is good but his youtube videos are even better. Kaku will be remembered for his sweet voice saying: "in the future" and that what he is, a dreamer.
Ariyan Abidi
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
اين سومين كتاب با اين مضمونه كه از ميچيو كاكو خوندم("جهان هاى موازى" و "فيزيك ناممكن ها")
نسبت به اون دوتا پيچيدگى كمترى داشت و قابل فهم تر بود پس اگه به اين مدل موضوعات علاقه دارين(سفر به فضا ، جاودانگى ، روبات ها ، نظريه ريسمان و ...) براى شروع مناسب تره
ولى متاسفانه يه سرى مفاهيم عينا تو چند تا كتاب تكرار شدن كه زياد براى من جالب نبود(مثلا مقياس كارداشف تمدن ها كه تو "جهان هاى موازى" هم بود ولى فيزيك ناممكن ها رو مطمئن نيستم)
و همچنين برخلاف اون دوتا كتاب احساس ميكنم نيازى به بازخوانى نداره.
Casey Wheeler
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free Kindle copy of The Future of Humanity by Michio Kaku courtesy of Net Galley and Doubleday Books, the publisher. It was with the understanding that I would post a review to Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and my nonfiction book review blog. I also posted it to my Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google Plus pages.

I requested this book as I have always had an interest in space and science and where we may go in the future.  This is the first book by Michio Kaku tha
Lissa
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
There is really no need to summarize this book as the subtitle pretty much says it all. I will say that I found this book incredibly accessible and completely fascinating. I’m pretty sure I learned more about space travel in this one book than I have in the preceding years of my life. Kaku’s format of using straightforward language and pop-culture references causes this book to never be boring and for me to feel completely over confident in my knowledge of physics and astronomy. I received a dig ...more
Susannah
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Michio Kaku. His enthusiasm is just infectious. Also his ET chapter super freaked me out (highly intelligent, language using cephalopods???)
Knigoqdec
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Чудесна, увлекателна и достъпна, тази книга обхваща всякакви актуални въпроси около физиката, човечеството и космоса, станали популярни в последните години. От извънземните, през възможностите за пътуване през време и пространство, заселването на Марс или други планети... и какво ли още не. И всичко - подкрепено с много хубави примери, включително препратки към други книги и художествена литература, както и филми (подбрах си няколко). Като единствен минус отчитам говоренето в стил "Ние, американ ...more
Nilesh
This is a hastily written popular book with a catchy title but only with a host of rehashed ideas and no novel lines of thoughts or conclusions.

The short book starts by excessively focusing on the latest developments in the space travel. For a book with such a wide scope, the initial chapters - that detail the cold war space race, NASA's history, Musk/Bezos' programs and many other technical details of where space travel is today - are wasted and a harbinger of the confusion that permeates all t
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, science
I love Michio Kaku’s writing style. He writes with clarity, which makes a complex subject easier to understand. Well, I think physics is complex. I found his passion for the subject contagious, and I couldn’t read this book fast enough.

Extinction of species is the norm not the exception. Earth has gone through five major extinction cycles, which has wiped out up to 90 percent of all lifeforms. When will the next event happen? How do we ensure our survival?

Kaku explores these questions and what i
Христо Блажев
Бъдещето на човечеството е сред звездите: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/b...

В малко под 400 страници Каку събира наистина много – от историята на досегашните ни космически начинания, които за малко повече от век ни отведоха дори отвъд границата на Слънчевата система, а до кацане на Марс остават броени години, който и от борещите се в космическата надпревара съперници да свари. Но после… после идва забавното. Не само планетите, но и спътниците и кометите могат да се окажат важни и полезни.
Jim Witkins
Everything covered was entertaining, yet the book ultimately suffers from being overly general. Wanted scientific detail and came away with repackaged sci-fi. Maybe that’s inherent in speculative nonfiction.

• Brief Answers to the Big Questions
  • The Space Barons: Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and the Quest to Colonize the Cosmos
  • Star Maker
  • Accessory to War: The Unspoken Alliance Between Astrophysics and the Military
  • The Order of Time
  • 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
  • The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World
  • Space 2.0: How Private Spaceflight, a Resurgent Nasa, and International Partners Are Creating a New Space Age
  • Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
  • Until the End of Time: Mind, Matter, and Our Search for Meaning in an Evolving Universe
  • Letters From An Astrophysicist
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: Митио Каку
Chinese: 加來道雄
Japanese: ミチオ・カク)

Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physic

News & Interviews

“Claude Shannon, the father of information theory, once declared, “I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to humans, and I’m rooting for the machines.” 3 likes
“I sometimes think about how easy it is for a nation to slip into complacency and ruin after decades of basking in the sun. Since science is the engine of prosperity, nations that turn their backs on science and technology eventually enter a downward spiral.” 3 likes