Start by marking “Forgotten Crimes” as Want to Read:

Forgotten Crimes

A young woman is forced to face up to the truth of her past...

Gloria is heading to meet her friend Rhetty in a bar. Once close, the two friends have drifted apart. Rhetty is different now, a shadow of her former self, and it all goes back to an incident that occurred four years ago.

They meet at the same bar as always. It’s a sleazy venue. Gloria is uncomfortable there
Published February 20th 2018 by THE BOOK FOLKS

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Crimes

Start your review of Forgotten Crimes
Wiseask
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had read for free Anna Willet’s barely average Retribution Ridge (2016) and below-average Unwelcome Guests (2018) before slogging through her Forgotten Crimes (2018). Clearly, unlike fine wine, this author is not improving with age.

At 127 pages in its entirety, Forgotten Crimes is simply a long short story, which like her two other books is set in western Australia. Ms. Willet audaciously describes her story as a “gripping psychological suspense thriller,” though it’s none of the above.

Instead
Bandit
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my second read by the author. And not just for an armchair visit to Australia, but because she writes these thrillers that are fast paced, entertaining and tend to come up as freebies now and again. Forgotten Crimes is a title to be taken quite literary as it features an unreliable narrator with memory glitches. Psychological quirks like that may have an adverse effect on a friendship, but then again so would jealousy or a new person introduced into the mix, which is precisely how it al ...more
Kim
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Setting: Western Australia. This book comprised a novella (Forgotten Crimes) and a short story - in Forgotten Crimes, Gloria is summoned to a meeting by her lifelong friend who tells her that she has seen Joanna, a woman who they believed had been dead for four years. Gloria is persuaded to return to the scene of the 'crime', her family's beach house. On arrival there, she gets a shock... The story jumps back and forth between 2001 and 2005 as we learn what happened between the three women..
The
Mcf1nder_sk
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a nicely crafted taut story. Gloria's inability to remember events of her past, told through two timelines four years apart, was smoothly written and, unlike many other books I've read, was easy to follow. The twists in the tale are sure to keep the reader in suspense. ...more
Erik Empson
This is one of those books that makes you think you know what will happen but then lands you with a jaw-dropping surprise at the end. At times very creepy, always full of nail-biting suspense, this is an example of what Willett does best: creating claustrophobic situations in which women have difficult choices to make. Set in the South West of Australia this is Willett's fourth novel. ...more
Donna Kaczynski
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great

I chose this rating because this book is great. If you get the chance to read it you should you won't be disappointed.
Cindylou
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forgotten Crimes

Good read. Definitely creepy when it comes back around. Kind of makes you wonder about some different places and some different people.
Jean
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riveting

This book has your mind and your heart racing on multiple instances. Everytime you think I know what's happening and how it's all going to end, you are shaken out of that with a shocking revelation. The novel has two timelines going back and forth and usually only one timeline tends to keep you interested but this one has you wanting to know about both the timelines at once which is absolutely amazing.The end is executed in a precise and classy way so out of the predictive thrillers. Re
Josephine Whitfield
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GREAT READ! You are a really good writer!

I can't wait for your next book. Anybody who likes psychological books will LOVE Anna Willet's books! Her books are some of the best I have read this year and I read a lot!
Donna Bell
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good read!

I think I’ve read all Anna Willett’s books now, and enjoyed each and every one. Looking forward to more by this author...hope she has a new one for us soon.
Janet
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
very good
Karen
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a harrowing story. It contains triggers for victims of sexual assault, deaths of parents, car accidents and murder. I always enjoy psychological thrillers. Rated R
Sue J
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

A truly unique story you will want to finish in one sitting. So well woven I never saw the ending coming.
Kathleen Quinn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Disturbing thrillet

This book was hard to put down. The characters were likeable and the plot kept skipping from 2011 to 2015. The ending was rather shocking!
Michelle Wilson
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was in fact two short stories. Stories of murder. The first one the woman, Gloria, kilos two people and bury them under the swimming pool that is being dug. She then moved to the US from Australia.
The second story was also short and sweet, with a guy on his way to Melbourne to sign a contract with a company that will make him famous needs a lift. Takes one with weird ladies, and end up dead after one of the ladies treats him for appendicitis and a tracheotomy and does not quite make it
Vivian
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow to build, unlike other Willett books, but once it got going, it didn’t stop.

Gloria has know. Rhetty just about her whole life. They were different; upbringings, style and personality. So many years of friendship meant they knew each other well. Joanna was new to the group. Gloria never liked how she pretty much claimed Rhetty as her own. Almost pushing Gloria to the side, feeling Gloria thought too good for them, which was farthest from the truth.

One night at the club, after Gloria scored
Jillian Higham
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not believable

I'm sorry but this book just didn't work for me. I really couldn't care about the characters and I found what happened totally unbelievable. I'm expected to believe that the kind girl described on Gloria's first day at a new school, turned out to be a psycho who would deliberately set her up to be raped and then try to murder her with a knife. I found myself incredulous. Glad it was a short book.
emily lote
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
An average book

I have read other books previously by Anna willett and they have been endearing, interesting and a brilliant read. However, I felt that this book had a good lead up but a disappointing ending.
Barbara
Okay

This is the first story I’ve ever read by this author. It was okay, but I didn’t really find it intriguing or suspenseful and had figured some things out before they were revealed in the story.
Ted Tayler
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Disappointing"

The constant flipping from past to present became tedious after a while. This book needed really strong characters to carry what was in essence a very simple premise and sadly, it didn't. As a result, it was a quick read and on to the next one.
Alexes Hourigan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit of a let down
Ingrid Grant
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The cover says "gripping psychological thriller". I don't know about that but it was a very quick read. I got a little confused with the time changing, then it ended. Odd, but enjoyable. ...more
Lesa Tobiason beach
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
What happened?

There wasn't a lot to this story. It was missing some things, needed fleshing out. Overall,not a bad story, but incomplete.
Divya Verma
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
more like a short story.
Larry Weinstein
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointing

I did not like the bouncing back and forth in the storyline. The ending was not satisfying to me. It was a quick read but not an author i would follow.
Mary Thomas
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
nail biter...enjoyed the book.
J Barkess
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
What??

This started off as quite a griping story but soon descended into a complete load of rubbish.
Thankfully it is quite short.
Rich Buickerood
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read, but not as good as some of her other efforts. I particularly thought it ended before it was really done.
Debra Barstad
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting tale. I was confused in some parts until I realized it had flashbacks.
Kathy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, but the ending leaves you hanging. A lot of questions are answered but not all. You find out what happened in the past, but you don't find out how Gloria ends up. I couldn't believe it was the end of the book. Seemed like there could have been a whole 2nd 1/2 of the story. ...more

• Azrael
  • The Swap (Nicole Graves Mysteries, #1)
  • A Man Walks Into A Hardware Store
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • Shoeless Child (Detective Kerri Blasco #4)
  • The Other Woman
  • The Class Reunion
  • Hickory Dickory Dead (Maisie Fezziwig Book 1)
  • The Lies She Told
  • A Penny For Her Heart (Detective Rachel Storme, #3)
  • The House Party
  • Behind The Pretty Pink Door
  • The Fear In Her Eyes (Ian Quinn #1)
  • You Will Never Leave
  • Treasure of Darkness (Palmyrton Estate Sale Mystery #2)
  • The Cabin Below
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)