Start by marking “Rule of Thirds” as Want to Read:
Rule of Thirds

Rule of Thirds

A traumatic past doesn’t have to mean not having a future.

When Jason Diovardi, military elite, is removed from active duty after failing too many psych evals, he has only one goal in mind: get back into the field. It’s all he knows and all he thinks he’s good for, which is why he grudgingly accepts two live-in AI Companions to help him begin to recover from his severe PTSD
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 166 pages
Published April 17th 2018 by DSP Publications

Start your review of Rule of Thirds
Joyfully Jay
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I don’t normally read a lot of hurt/comfort stories, but I was drawn to this one because of the AI element and I am really glad I picked it up because I really enjoyed Rule of Thirds so much. Wayne has created a novel that is both moving and engaging, and I found myself unable to put it down. Two things really struck me as helping make this story work so well. First off, we get POVs from all three men. But more than that, we have the opportunity to really view and
Aղցela W.
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading this author. This was a good read. When Jason Diovardi removed from active duty after failing too many psych evals, he has only one goal in mind: get back into the field. It’s all he knows and all he thinks he’s good for, which is why he grudgingly accepts two live-in AI Companions to help him begin to recover from his severe PTSD. He is matched with Chase and Shade a couple, but Jason hoped that they will distract each other so they will leave him alone. This was ...more
Santy

2.5 Stars

First Off, HAPPY RELEASE DAY to this book!

This was an interesting book with an interesting premise. I thoroughly enjoyed the world building around A.I’s , their development, how they function and their rights. The writing was pretty good even though the pacing was much much much slower than I typically am comfortable with.

I liked how Chase and Shade helped Jason recover from his PTSD and how Jason in his own way also helped Shade open up more, and Chase calm down more overall.

However,
AussieMum
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 “I can’t make up my mind how I feel about this” stars!!!
Well, I wanted something different and in this book I got it. I was sucked into this simple, quiet hurt/comfort focused story, set in a future where some robots have developed their own consciousness and 2 are chosen as companions for a military interrogation specialist suffering PTSD. For the first half I was thinking it was going to be a 5 star read. It was headed towards being a very untraditional romance and I was excited for that.
Ariadna
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
On the plus side, this was a v. fast read, the characters were likable, and it's a good novel to pick up if you like the hurt/comfort trope (with an emphasis on the comfort.) Also, I thought the depiction of characters recovering from trauma was quite realistic.

On the minus side, the worldbuilding was subpar and the slow burn to having all three characters together is practically glacial (you have to accept that the characters aren't going to be sexually intimate until close to the end of the no
BWT (Belen)
Mar 20, 2018 marked it as dnf-or-hated
DNF 50% - No Rating.

There's a lot of good hurt/comfort here, and some nice world building, but it's just not resonating with me. Maybe it's my mood? I can see possibly coming back to it later.
Cadiva
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know where to start with this one or what to say really other than, if you're looking for a hot menage, this isn't your book.

I've never read this author before but I absolutely will be keeping an eye out now because this book was stunning. A character-driven exploration of the terrors of PTSD and trauma, nothing cured by magic dick.

No one recovers, Jason and Shade (oh God, how much did I fall for Shade), still suffer trauma. They don't reach their best self, but they do become a better s
Heidi
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Got sucked in by a great cover. That was probably the best part of the book and three days I won't get back :(
Christy
He knew he was a danger to others. That’s why he didn’t interact with others. But he’d try his best, if only so he could say he did. He just needed to get put on active duty again. A mission meant stress and pain and fear, but at least it also meant busy. Occupied. Useful.

It has been a while since I read a science-fiction story and it was really good to be back. If anything, the title alone lured me with a reminder of Isaac Asimov’s ‘I, Robot’, an old favorite. I was struck by the blurb, by the
Amber
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review available at: https://optimumm.blog/2018/04/22/revi...

I loved Rule of Thirds by Aidan Wayne. This is the first time I have read a book by Aidan Wayne, but it won’t be the last. The author sucked me in with the blurb and the yummy cover, and the story didn’t disappoint. I was hooked from the first line and read the story straight through into the wee hours of the morning. The story is about Jason Diovardi who is a military elite that has been removed from active duty after failing too
Kristin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Jason’s last undercover mission went dreadfully awry and left him with physical and emotional scars. When told his job was at stake if he couldn’t get a handle on his issues with touching, inability to sleep, inability to function in public and more, he decides to enlist the aid of a AI - Acting Individuals – and hire a Companion to help him heal enough to pass his psych evals.

What we don’t find out is exactly what Jason did and for which government agency in this future society. We don’t find
Natosha Wilson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. I enjoyed his book. It is more of a science fiction read and maybe a more futuristic book. I enjoyed how Aidan made the characters not only human and human android also.

This book takes place in the future or at least I would believe that it did because of the human androids. Jason has a severe case of PTSD. He also has a severe sensitivity to touch. After coming back from his last mission as the only survivor, he has not been he same.

He is recommended to get a companion f
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted my copy of this book.

I have to admit, when I read the blurb for this book, I had no idea what AI meant, it did not click. Once it's made clear, very early on?? Well, now it made total sense!

Jason is suffering from PTSD and Chase and Shade are his AI companions to help with that. But not only Jason suffers, Shade does too and its left to Chase to keep everyone together.

Very quickly, you lose the fact that Chase and Shade are, for wan
Jess Hale
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read the first chapter as a sample a while ago, and thought the premise seemed interesting. (M/m romance between a human and an AI couple who move in with the human.)

Unfortunately, I don't think the book lived up to the promise. I found the pacing slow, and there is absolutely no conflict to move the plot along or to allow the characters to grow. I really think there needed to be SOMETHING - the plot is basically that the AI characters (Chase and Shade) move in with Jason and despite he immedi
ChaosMoondrawn
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would rate this 4.5 stars.
If you are intrigued by the blurb, and get sucked in by the preview (https://www.dsppublications.com/books...), then you will not be disappointed. I think it's optimistic that we would give sentient beings equal rights when we are currently taking them away from ourselves, but we need to write the future we want to see, right?

This was very well done. We get to see all POVs and there are three distinct voices here, which is as it should be. The way the three character
Serra ᵔ·͈༝·͈ᵔ
I’m really conflicted with this one.

I was really intrigued by the premise, a vet with PTSD and two AI Companions, polyamory and androids? The blurb grabbed me immediately.

I loved the dynamics between Jason, Shade and Chase. Jason and Shade shared different traumatic pasts but they could really understand each other, and Chase had such a caring and gentle soul that these three fit together really well. They had a really honest, attentive and gentle relationship. The hurt/comfort here was great
Angela
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Not your standard romance and not a more actiony sci fi either.

This one focused much much on the three characters at its heart and their journey together with the goal of making things better for them, especially the two that had experienced such trauma.

I liked how that was handled, we never got any more details of the events that caused the trauma than was absolutely necessary in my opinion so there were no graphic descriptions of such and the very realistic way it was portrayed with there bein
Peter Leslie
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope. Sorry, not for me. I have started a few books lately that I didn’t finish and so I was determined to finish this one. Otherwise, I would have tossed it early on. The premise is simple, we’re in the future, some androids are now sentient and, apparently, they hire out. The human main character has PTSD. So does one of the androids, apparently, which makes no sense whatsoever. They are all the most boring people in the world and do nothing. The androids have no training with PTSD, but their ...more
Estel
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, for all that I wish it had done more. It has a very sweet poly romance between three male-identifying people, two of whom are artificial intelligences. I loved the premise and I loved the attention to communication and self-awareness and interpersonal as well as personal care that the narrative focused on. I just wish we'd gotten more of denouement--an answer as to what Jason is allowed/decides to do. I also wish we'd seen more of the background world. Are AI just accepted e ...more
Terri Jones
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I read the last several chapters without pause. However, I understand those who had trouble with it. It is very... Deliberate.

One might even venture to say much of it is over-stated - and in fact, Shade comments on the repetition in one of those later chapters. The carefulness is the comfort part of this hurt/comfort trope, and it works well, but it will read as tedious to some. That's fine - not every book is for every reader. There's nothing wrong with that.

I generally p
Pam
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poly
I was surprised by how much I loved this. I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars, because I really try to save 5 stars for pure epic-ness and I don't think this *should* be five stars...but I just really loved it. Like, stayed up way, WAY too late because I didn't want to part with it loved it. So 4.5 stars :)

The developing relationship between the three characters was just so sweet. Even with the really intense PTSD. Whoever said this is hurt-comfort, heavy on the comfort, described it pe
Brandy
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book!

I loved the slow burn in this book he didn't rush, well not up until the end. This book wasn't love at first sight and I loved the pace. I loved learning about the three, however I felt this should have been part one and there should be a part 2, how Jason copes being in a relationship and all the new things going on in Jason's life. The book was written really well in my opinion, however I really wanted another 150 to 200 pages and I think the author could have, instead of trying to
Shelly Cerullo
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this would have been a 5 Star review, except I kept being thrown out of the plot pondering the ethics of Companions. Why didn’t Chase or Shade suggest that Jason get a new Companion when they realized they were falling for him??? The rest of the story was so sweet and gentle and I super enjoyed it, but this weird lapse in ethical world building was just bizarre after all the care Wayne took in establishing that the AIs were moral beings that could consent.
Mary Lou
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, spec-fic, lgbt
I really loved reading a robot/human romance (well, robot/robot/human) where the robots are the ones who are really emotionally competent and the human is the one struggling to deal with feelings and interpersonal connection. Plus I am a complete sucker for hurt/comfort, so a triad where two partners are both dealing with significant traumas was fully in my wheelhouse--this is the kind of slow burn where OH MY GOD HE ACCEPTED A HUG!! is a deeply satisfying mini-climax. So much love for this!
M_C
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very vague world building which made it hard to know what was happening. Also, I felt like the companions didn't really help Jason, more like Jason helped himself get better . . . which wasn't really what the synopsis described.

One thing that was really fleshed out was the AI storyline and history. That was great, but the rest of the story needed more.
S.A. Crow
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woah. So much here. Kept my mind ticking while I read it, and my heart hoping for their healing, quite aside from whether or not their partnership became sexual or not. Full of thoughts, full of feelings. I push this book on everyone I can.
Gail
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for hurt/comfort story lines and I loved this one. Would have been better with a little more heat and that was a bit of a disappointment but, otherwise, a great story. Shade was my favorite MC, his back story would make a great book as well.
Anne Queen
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and tender story about healing. Menage isn't usually my cup of tea but this worked wonderfully. I so enjoyed the characters and the development of their relationship. It was a truly delightful and heart-warming read.
Ashley
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Great character development, solid story, and I am always a sucker for a good trauma recovery story.
Andrea
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story and seems very well researched. I'll read more by this author.

• Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Evolved
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • Unfit to Print
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Band Sinister
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Over and Over Again
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Sin and Tonic (Sinners, #6)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
Aidan Wayne has been publishing LGBTQ+ fiction since 2016. While they usually stick with contemporary romance (both adult and YA), some soft sci-fi/fantasy has been known to sneak in as well. They primarily write character-driven stories with happy endings, because, dammit, queer people deserve happy endings too.

Stay in the know and never miss a book by joining Aidan's mailing list.