Start by marking “The Killing Type” as Want to Read:
The Killing Type

The Killing Type

ATWISTED TALE FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF MY HUSBAND'S WIFE AND BLOOD SISTERS - THE PERFECT TRAIN-RIDE READ

Susie and her sister have never been close. These days they barely speak. So when Danielle messages her out of the blue and begs to meet, Susie knows something must be wrong.

Published May 17th 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Type

Start your review of The Killing Type
Maureen
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, so at just 50 pages in length, it’s fair to say that this is too short for character development (I think a full length version of the story could have worked really well) but nevertheless it’s not a bad read.

Sisters Susie and Danielle have never hit it off, but how they end up marrying the same man, and someone ends up dead, I’m not saying! Be assured though, there are some nasty twisted characters, and some equally devious plotting here folks!
Peter
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Deadly
The Killing Type is a free short story from Jane Corry and boy does she pack in a lot, in 50 pages. Jane is a master of plot twists and surprises and this story has a few good ones.

Danielle and Susie are sisters, very close in age, (Irish twins) – 14 months apart. They are both very different in looks and personality with Danielle being prettier and outgoing while Susie is quiet, contemplative and a writer. “Rose Red and Snow White.”There is a thread of jealousy and they have drifted apart
Linda
Short and not so sweet........

Danielle and her sister, Susie, have quite the tale to tell here. They have been raised by a doting mother and are products of a non-existent father who has been out of the picture for years. Both girls seem to compete for all the oxygen in the room.

That pretty much sums it up......until Danielle marries Simon. Ol' Simon, according to our girl Danielle, is trying to do her in. Enter: Susie who may or may not be on Danielle's side.

The Killing Type almost killed me wi
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this one so much!
It's gripping and dark.
Everything worked so well.
It's short but that's what it is!
The characters were really interesting.
I would have loved it more if Simon's character was a bit detailed.
The plot is good.
Who murdured who and why were explained and the motive too. But I still don't understand why both sisters had to go to that length of committing a crime together.
Seriously, the darkness of it all worked really well with the writing style.
Looking forward to more work by th
Amanda
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A punchy short story that will keep you gripped with its secrets and lies

Danielle and Susie are sisters,!only 14 months separate them but they are not close and are like chalk and cheese.

Danielle asks to meet her sister regarding her husband Simon, who she thinks is trying to kill her. After several accidents and a car crash as her brakes were tampered with, she turns to Susie for help. Unfortunately Susie tells the police that her sister is melodramatic and she does not believe her. The case is
Pauline
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The killing type by Jane Corry is a short story about two sisters. I found this story very rushed with long gaps in the storyline. I didn't engage with the characters at all.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Penguin Books for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sue
THE KILLING TYPE by Jane Corry is a short story, a dark psychological thriller about two sisters, Susie and Danielle, two sisters that aren’t close. Jane Corry is the best-selling author of My Husband’s Wife and Blood Sisters.

In this short story, Danielle reaches out to her sister, Susie, and says she wants to talk to her about Susie’s husband, Simon.

But what Danielle tells her seems crazy. Her husband, Simon, may be a bully, but he wouldn't hurt her? Susie tells her sister that Simon is trying
Bren
The Killing type.

While this was a twisty short story about two sisters and the man they (love ha!?) One sister thinks her husband is trying to kill her but the other sister tells the police she is making it up. Then the second sister wounds up with him..did not really get into the story all that much.

It's a good premise. And I like short stories. But there was to much put in to justify being so short. Twist after twist after twist in a story that takes under an hour to read. It was to much for m
Linda Strong
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Susie and Danielle are sisters. They aren't close anymore, but still they're sisters. Danielle sends Susie a text saying she needed to talk to her about Simon ... Susie's husband.

Susie swears up and down that Simon is trying to kill her. Danielle may not like Simon, but she doesn't see him as a killer, either.

Some months later, Susie is in a car accident. She's lucky no one was badly hurt but she's screaming to the cops that her husband has tinkered with her brakes. While at the police station,
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Summary
This short story is about two sisters: Jane and Danielle. Both are considered very different in looks and personality. Danielle being bolder, more outgoing, an aspiring actress. Susie in contrast is quieter and a writer.
Danielle married a well to do banker named Simon, which only spurred on the jealousy between the sisters. Someone in this book ends up being the killing type. Can you guess who?

My thoughts:

I went in knowing this was a short story, but I was surprised at just how short of
Kathy Gange
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short story 59 pages. But,not so sweet
Nicki
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a tangled web we weave,when we first practice to deceive. And deception is most definitely the name of the game in this twisty,gripping short story of lies,manipulation,murder and secrets with a added dash of poetic justice.

Susie and her sister Danielle have never been very close and are now barely on speaking terms. So when Susie receives a message out of the blue from her sister begging to meet. Susie knows something must be wrong.

Susie is shocked when Danielle informs her that she is
Betty
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Killing Type is a short story about two sisters named Susie and Danielle. The barely speak to one another, but Susie is the first person Danielle turns to when she becomes convinced her husband, Simon, is trying to hurt her. Neither Susie, nor the police, believe Danielle's claims. A few months later, someone dies, and only one question remains. Was it an accident—or murder?

This is one of the best short stories I'm truly impressed that such a compelling story with amazingly clever twists was
NZLisaM
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super-Quick Psychological Suspense.

A fun, intriguing amusing short story, that’s deliciously devious, with a satisfying conclusion. Fans of Jane Corry will get a kick out of it! Also includes a sneak peek of Corry’s upcoming novel ‘The Dead-Ex’. Free to download for kindle. Enjoy!
Mark
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Well when the blurb said short story it wasnt joking, 10-12 uninterrupted reading and twas done
A tale of 2 sisters and one husband and what the 3 got up to and why one of them is dead
No real shakes here, wasn’t long enough for that but fairly inoffensively not bad
Bridget
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 00-07-tbr-july18
The Killing Type is a short story of two sisters seemingly wrapped up in a whirl wind of lies and deceit. You, also, won’t know who to trust in this wonderful, condensed thriller!

I would LOVE to see The Killing Type become a novel. It was engrossing and gripping but I needed more! I love all of Jane Corry’s books and this short story is no different!

Thank you to Netgalley, Jane Corry and Penguin Publishers for the opportunity to read The Killing Type.

Renita D'Silva
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Twisted
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: two-star
A (very) short story; more of a teaser trailer for the authors forthcoming full novel. As with many short stories, this was very blunt and didn’t offer much in the way of character development. For a free kindle read, it was okay.
Cheryl
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a 4.5 star short read.
Donna Hines
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Who would want to harm Susie? Is someone trying to kill her? Could someone be capable of murder?
While trying to convince Danielle that Susie is in harms way it appears the actual person in the way is Simon....
Is someone lying? Who is telling the truth? Who should we believe?

One of the problems I've always had with short stories is the pressure the author is put under because it's so short. They have to hit the mark and be spot on or else it crumbles.
For me this was just ok but I do love Jane Cor
Maggie61
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This would have been a fantastic story if I didn’t feel like huge chunks of it were missing.
It jumps from one day to four weeks later then four months later and on, there was no flow or anything to connect them. Just some different chapters tossed in with so many missing parts of a story.
I didn’t care for it at all.
Nicki
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, 4-stars
Loved this short story and can't wait for the author's next full length novel!
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Despite the 14 month age difference Danielle and older sister Suzie never got along as kids, they were as different as chalk and cheese. As adults Suzie was a journalist hoping to get into the nationals some day. Danielle was an actress until she stopped work after marrying wealthy banker Simon King

One day Danielle sent a text to Suzie asking to meet. Four weeks later Danielle had a car crash and told the
Chanel Lindsay
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Having loved Jane Corry's previous books, I immediately downloaded this short story when I found it was free on Amazon; and to be honest I am in two minds about this one.

This short story follows Susie and her sister, Danielle, who have never been close. These days they barely speak. So when Danielle messages her out of the blue and begs to meet, Susie knows something must be wrong. But what Danielle tells her seems crazy. Her husband, Simon, may be a bully, but surely wouldn't hurt her? Then th
Nicki Southwell
Susie and Danielle are not close as sisters, partly because of a big age gap. Out of the blue, Danielle contacts Susie and says she needs to talk to her about Simon, her husband. Understandably;y she is intrigued, but shocked when she is told that Simon is trying to kill her.

After a car accident, when the brakes fail, things take a turn for the worse and nobody will believe that Simon intends to harm her. Then Simon dies.

There are some excellent twists to this story but sadly it is rather disjoi
Ted Tayler
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
"Short-changed again"

Let's be honest, this is another device for authors to advertise their novels. I've read and reviewed half a dozen this year already where a short story/novella is followed by an extended extract from their latest book. This twisted tale is good, but I'd much rather read the novel and get this short story added as a bonus. Too much to ask?
Karen
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Killing Type by Jane Corry

This was an excellent super short story that grabbed my attention from the first sentence and never let me go. My complaint is it was way too short. I wanted more. There is snappy dialogue between two sisters. Danielle and Susie are known to their mother as Danielle being like Rose Red and Susie being like Snow White. This was so interesting and fast paced that I believe this is the shortest story that I have ever read.

Two sisters who scheme and do the unthinkable.
Heather W
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet, this is a 50 page story following two sisters. One sister claims that her husband is trying to murder her, but the other says that he is not the killing type...who should we believe?

A very quick story that is easy to read. I love Jane Corry's writing style and hope that this will become a full length novel with perhaps some further twists down the line. I was gripped from the first page, and I loved both the twists (although I saw one coming). Another author to watch out for.

Ma
Amy Perera
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Danielle and Susie are sisters, but they are total opposites. Rose Red and Snow White, their mother had often called them. They’ve never been close. One day Danielle texts Susie to meet and says that her husband Simon was trying to kill her. Then the accident happens and Susie is forced to rethink everything. Who is the killing type?! ✨

‘Because the truth is that there is no such thing. Every one of us - however innocent we look - is capable of doing terrible things in certain situations! ✨

A sh
Amanda
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a twist turning short story. I loved it. I felt the characters and then bam. Deliciously evil in every way. Thank you to netgalley for allowing me to review this thrilling short story. 5 Stars #TheKillingType #NetGalley
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Babysitter
  • The Catch
  • When I Was Ten
  • Tell Him He's Dead
  • The House Share: Seven housemates. Seven lies. Would you dare to join?
  • The Wife – Part Two: For Better, For Worse (The Wife series)
  • The Wife – Part Three: In Sickness and In Health (The Wife series)
  • Three Men and a Maybe
  • Always You (The Agency)
  • One In Three
  • The Chase
Jane Corry is a writer and journalist who has spent time working as the writer in residence of a high security prison for men - an experience that helped inspire her Sunday Times bestsellers 'My Husband's Wife' and 'Blood Sisters'. Jane runs regular writing workshops and speaks at literary festivals all over the world. Many of her ideas strike during morning dog-jogs along the beach followed by a ...more