Start by marking “A Different Kind of Evil” as Want to Read:
A Different Kind of Evil

A Different Kind of Evil

(Agatha Christie #2)

Agatha Christie—the Queen of Crime—travels to the breathtaking Canary Islands to investigate the mysterious death of a British agent in this riveting sequel to the “twisty thriller” (Publishers Weekly) A Talent for Murder.

Published March 13th 2018 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about A Different Kind of Evil, please sign up.
Maximilian Birner In my opinion, yes. That is exactly what I did after a couple of Agatha Christie's I wanted to find a new author. This book was enjoyable, it won't be…moreIn my opinion, yes. That is exactly what I did after a couple of Agatha Christie's I wanted to find a new author. This book was enjoyable, it won't be the very best book on your shelf but you most likely will like it. Also, if you do like it as I did you can wait for Andrew Wilson to publish new books. It's good to have an author you like to publish books every once in a while and you can take a short break. (I don't recommend reading the book before this one also.)(less)

Start your review of A Different Kind of Evil
Brenda
1927 and Agatha Christie had been advised by her doctor to have rest and recuperation after the harrowing experiences of the previous few months. Embarking on a cruise to the Canary Islands was a health benefit and to be accompanied by her daughter and the nanny made her cover complete. Mrs Christie was on the hunt for a killer, and she was under the protection of the British Secret Intelligence Service, along with an agent by the name of John Davison.

But the suicide of a young woman on board w
Eva
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After thoroughly enjoying the previous book, A Talent for Murder, I couldn’t wait to pick up this next one.

A Different Kind of Evil picks up quite shortly after events from the first book. Agatha Christie has caught the eye of the British Secret Intelligence Service and for her first mission, she is sent to Tenerife to help solve the murder of an agent whose body has been found mummified and drained of blood in a remote cave.

Events already kick off on board the ship that will take Agatha to Tene
AdiTurbo
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I found this series. It is light and entertaining, but at the same time, intelligent and well-crafted. The plot was good (although there was a hole left somewhere, but I'm not sure everyone would notice so I don't want to spoil things for you), and made me flip through the pages as fast as I could to get to the solution of the mystery. Agatha Christie's character is well done, and so are the other major characters, and the minor ones are interesting and unique. It helps to know that ...more
Thebooktrail
description

Visit the locations in the novel

This is turning into a really fun series. Book one was good and this second one goes that bit further. Agatha Christie herself of course is the star of the show and this time she's on a cruise when she gets asked to help out regarding a crime. She's writing one of her famous novels at the time and this is a really nice touch to the story when she mentions her book and marriage struggles in the course of this story.

Yes Mr Wilson I do like these novels - entertain
Toast
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I got more out of it reading it so quickly after 'A Talent for Murder', they do act as companion books. I did enjoy this read as it does plug in to my choice of period, genre and the like but it doesn't really work for me. I'm not sure why. Maybe my cynical self isn't that keen on someone writing as the character of Agatha Christie. Although AW is at pains to state he is nothing to do with Agatha Christie or her Estate and it is a work of fiction. Maybe I expect more because of that moni ...more
Lis Carey
Following the death of her mother, the collapse of her marriage to Archie Christie, and her sensational disappearance for two weeks, Agatha Christie is now on a trip to Tenerife, officially for rest and recovery, and to finish her latest book. The Mystery of the Blue Train.

Unofficially, she is travelling at the behest of British Special Agent Davison, to investigate the death of another intelligence officer, Douglas Greene. Greene was found dead in a cave, drained of his blood and partially mumm
Wit & Wonder Books
**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

What fun I had reading A Different Kind of Evil by Andrew Wilson! This is the second book in the Agatha Christie Series. The series is a fictional account of Ms. Christie herself, built around true facts of her life, which I was pleased to find were listed at the end of the book. What fun! Such an amazing premise that follows an intriguing woman and her adventures. I did not read the first book before delving into this beauty. I thin
Melissa
This is book 2 in a fictional mystery series based on real events from Agatha Christie's life. A little slow in the beginning and middle, but an exciting reveal at the end. I appreciate how the author notes the actual events from Agatha's life at the end of the book. Excited to get started on book #3.

"Two months after the events of A Talent for Murder, during which Agatha Christie “disappeared,” the famed mystery writer’s remarkable talent for detection has captured the attention of British Spec
Alex
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strong follow up to A Talent for Murder featuring Agatha Christie as detective! I really enjoyed it, great atmosphere, interesting characters, fun and interesting tie-ins to Christie's own real life and biography. Very different story from the first one but also in keeping with similar themes!
I will say this one also had some very dark aspects to it, not often seen in Christie's own writing. While certainly she did seem concerned with the idea of evil and there was a darkness or
Marie (UK)
I have read A Talent for Murder and this book in close succession. Whilst the former did spark some interest in providing a reason for Christie's disappearance this one was particularly plodding and pedestrian in its portrayal of a series of murders at home and abroad. I found it hard going at times and I am not sure I will be looking for any more in the series ...more
Susan
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It is now 1927 and Agatha Christie is on her way to the Canary Islands ostensibly to have a holiday, but on an assignment from the Secret Intelligence Service to investigate the death of one of their agents, Douglas Greene. But not is all rest as a suicide on the outgoing ship disturbs her peace.
An enjoyable mystery, well-written, though Christie does seem a bit naive to think that any theories she has about events should automatically be believed by the police.
A NetGalley Book
Candela
Apr 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Ann
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How about a MINUS One ★, and that is being generous

KIRKUS REVIEW:

"Free at last of the scandal of her notorious 1926 disappearance—though not quite yet of her adulterous spouse—Agatha Christie sails for the Canary Islands at the behest of the secret agent who helped rescue her from those complications (A Talent for Murder, 2017).

The first death, that of Secret Intelligence Service agent Douglas Greene, precedes Christie’s passage. In fact, it’s what makes John Davison press her to go to Tenerife
Marcie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fter reading A Talent for Murder, I was eager to get back into the trenches with Mrs. Christie. A Different kind of evil takes place just two months after the end of the first novel. I do recommend you reading it first. You may read this novel as a standalone, but I think it would increase your enjoyment of the story to read this series from the beginning.

Mrs. Christie is working with Special Agent Davidson to solve the murder of his colleague, Douglas Greene, whose death was peculiar. She boar
Jamie Bowen
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Following on from the first book Agatha is now in the employment of the Secret Intelligence Service and is on her way to the Canary Islands to investigate the death of one of their agents. But on the crossing she witnesses a young lady jumping to her death from the ship, and Agatha being Agatha is now really intrigued by this mystery. But this is dangerous ground and darkness surrounds these events and Agatha is getting drawn into it.

Another cracker of the fictional tales of Agatha Christie solv
Ilene Harris
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Different Kind Of Evil”. It is January 1927 and we find Agatha Christie aboard the SS Gelria a luxury liner headed for the Canary Islands. She is there to help John Davison, of the British Intelligence Service, investigate the murder of one of their agents. While walking on the deck she hears a scream and in time witnesses a passenger Gina Trevelyan climb over the ships railing and jumps. Other murders occur while on the Canary Islands. Is the murderer one of her fellow passengers or is it so ...more
Filip
A very interesting idea, make Agatha Christie the detective. The first part of the book dragged a bit and was not very Christie-like, but the second was much better. That said the resolution and the conspiracy behind was a bit TOO convoluted for my taste and I didn't really enjoy how it was solved. Some threads also felt as if they were dropped off. On the plus side it was written quite well, clearly really well-researched and the protagonist was interesting enough.

I didn't love it and it only p
4cats
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The follow up to A Talent for Murder, Agatha Christie sails to the Canaries, (in the employ of the secret service) to investigate a murder, under the guise of a holiday with her daughter and secretary Carlo. As the murders pile up Christie finds herself caught up in a dangerous situation.

Again based on some fact, this was a really entertaining read, I powered through the first 3 quarters, however the final 2 chapters were a bit weak (the reveal).
Ver
Jul 25, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
The idea of an amatour detective doesn't sound right for the character of Agatha Christie. She is presented as emotionally unstable, fragile, burden by the past, unable to take care of her daughter, even sometimes hiding from her and doing everything to avoid her. The first half of the book is rather boring, the actual action develops later with a quick ending and the killers turn out to be crazy people doing crazy things. Not my type of thing. ...more
Kate
Jul 17, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Abandoned at 50 pages - the style is not for me.
Yorky Caz
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Finally gotten round to reading this birthday gift from 2 years ago. Loving the concept of Agatha Christie as the detective. Fiction mixed with odd actual events from Christies life lovin it!
Bianca Mattiuzzi
Finished this book, it was a nice read, a good old murder mystery and i was really enjoying the last 80 pages :)
Erica
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read. The vibe of a Christie mystery.
Phil Butcher
Second in a series where Agatha Christie is the amateur detective. This had a strong sense of place set in the 1920s Canary Islands. A good mystery with a cast of interesting characters.
The Blonde Bookworm
I've always been a huge fan of Agatha Christie, so when I was given the opportunity to read A Different Kind of Evil, I immediately agreed. I was very intrigued by the idea of reading a murder mystery written about the Queen of Mystery herself! This novel is the second in a series, and although I would have loved to have read the first book in the series, I didn't find that I was missing much necessary information.

The reader follows along as Agatha, her daughter, and her nanny travel to the Can
Emma
I am a huge, huge Agatha Christie fan and these books by Andrew Wilson are pieces of sheer, unadulterated enjoyment for me. 'A Different Kind of Evil' follows on directly from events in 'A Talent for Murder'. Although you don't need to have read that to enjoy 'A Different Kind of Evil' I recommend that you still read it first. Especially as in my opinion it is the better of the two.

This tale sees Agatha travel via cruise liner to the Canary Islands with the intent of helping the British Secret I
BOOKLOVER EB
Agatha Christie narrates Andrew Wilson's "A Different Kind of Evil," which is set in 1927. After her eleven-day disappearance caused a stir in England (the commonly-held belief was that Mrs. Christie had suffered a bout of amnesia—but she reveals that she was actually working on a case), she takes her seven-year-old daughter and the child's nursemaid to Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Mrs. Christie is not traveling merely for rest and relaxation. She has agreed to investigate the grisly murder o ...more
Agnesxnitt
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd in a (hopefully) ongoing series based on the factual life of Dame Agatha Christie.
In the first book, Andrew Wilson supposed a darker reason for the author's 11 day disappearance, and in this second novel, Agatha's journey to the Canary Islands the year after, the story continues.
Drafted in to the British Secret Service as the most unlikely enquiry agent yet, and travelling with her daughter and secretary, Agatha is accompanied, quietly, by her Service 'handler'. But on the voyage out, Ag
Elite Group
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rip-roaring yarn.

“January 1927. Agatha Christie sets sail for the Canary Islands. But what she witnesses on her journey leads her to a darker destination…”

This is an old-fashioned crime novel in every sense and the reader is treated to a puzzling death in the very first chapter when one of the passengers throws herself off the boat and drowns. The heroine of the story is Agatha Christie and constant references are made to the harrowing circumstances of previous months that have led her to take
Dave
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Atria Books / Simon & Schuster for this ARC of A different Kind of Evil by author Andrew Wilson. Also, as always, thanks to Goodreads for hosting this opportunity through the First Reads program.

Murder mystery on the light side. Agatha is at it again with her uncanny ability to put the scattered puzzle pieces together.

Taking some facts of Christie's past, author Andrew Wilson builds an excellent story around her voyage to the Canary Islands and her stay at the Hotel Taoro Garden in
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • Mortmain Hall (Rachel Savernake #2)
  • Problem at Pollensa Bay and Other Stories
  • Zaginione arabskie księżniczki
  • Spowiedź Hana Solo. Byłem przemytnikiem w Indiach
  • The Island of Missing Trees
  • Poets and Murder
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • Money in the Morgue
  • The Dead of Winter (Josephine Tey, #9)
  • Rodzina bez granic w Ameryce Środkowej
  • Demon w Watykanie. Legioniści Chrystusa i sprawa Maciela
  • Sztuka życia według stoików. Jak nauczyć czytelnika, aby żyć szczęśliwie
  • Poirot and Me
  • Judge Dee at Work: Eight Chinese Detective Stories
  • Lawa, owce i lodowce. Zadziwiająca Islandia
  • Gallows Court (Rachel Savernake #1)
  • World Of Agatha Christie
About himself:

"I'm a journalist and author. My work has appeared in the Guardian, the Washington Post, the Daily Telegraph, the Observer, the Sunday Times, the Independent on Sunday, the Daily Mail, the New Statesman and the Evening Standard magazine."

Source: http://www.andrewwilsonauthor.co.uk/d...

Agatha Christie (4 books)
  • A Talent for Murder (Agatha Christie #1)
  • Death in a Desert Land (Agatha Christie #3)
  • I Saw Him Die (Agatha Christie #4)