Start by marking “Where We Go from Here: Two Years in the Resistance” as Want to Read:
Where We Go from Here: Two Years in the Resistance

Where We Go from Here: Two Years in the Resistance

Senator Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign was a beginning, not an end. In his new book, America's most popular political figure speaks about what he's been doing to oppose the Trump agenda and strengthen the progressive movement and how we go forward as a nation.
Published November 27th 2018 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Where We Go from Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where We Go from Here

Jenna
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
"This is not a time for despair. This is not a time for depression. This is a time to stand up and fight back."

I had the opportunity to see Bernie Sanders speak in Pittsburgh this Sunday and so it was terrific timing that the library copy of this e-book became available Saturday night. However, having attended the rally, I heard much of what is in this book. In it, he speaks about many of the pressing issues facing America today. He addresses such topics as: Medicare for all, foreign policy, c
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: truthiness, usa
Looks like we may get one more chance. Let's get it right this time, folks. Time's a wastin'.
Donna Hines
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bernie is our go to man in the hope of getting it done.
His ideas may seem far fetched until you realize they are not.
Why can't we have affordable health care, childcare, housing, education for all?
What prevents us from welcoming all immigrants who have built this wonderful nation from the ground up?
Why can't we help those who fall upon hard times without shaming and blaming by offering them a hand up not out?
So many gray areas that need to be covered but for me the most shocking is just how many
Andy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernie’s comments are not brilliant rhetoric, but contain some important insights backed up with facts/examples on crucial topics:
-what is the main bias of the mainstream media?
-what do polls show most Americans agree on with respect to big policy issues like guns, healthcare, taxes, jobs, rights, etc.?

In the current conventional wisdom, what Bernie talks about is neither liberal nor conservative because those labels have become meaningless for many core issues. The real split is whether one wan
Peter Mcloughlin
This is an account by Bernie Sanders on what he has been up to since he conceded the Democratic Primary to Hillary Clinton in 2016. He explains his campaigning for Hillary the menace of Trump and his activities in the Senate and on the road. Mostly it is about his vision for the country which has been a spur to move the Democratic Party in a more progressive direction. Bernie on policy is ideal. what he is pushing is what most Americans need and he talks about creating a movement to wrest it fro ...more
Richard Rogers
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, and not just because I like Bernie Sanders. I also like his breezy writing style, his cadence; it's impossible not to hear his voice when you read. In fact, that may be one of his gifts--sounding like himself!

Those who hate the man will no doubt hate the book, so I don't recommend this for those who get triggered. Supporters will probably react like me--this is good, though there's not a lot of new stuff here. I liked the way it comes across mostly as a journal, a re
Marie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
"Disney is a $150 billion corporation and made $9 billion in profits in 2017. It received $1.5 billion tax break from the Trump giveaway and millions in local tax break from the city of Anaheim. Today over 80 percent of Disneyland workers make less than $15 an hour."

"Following months of strong worker protest, minimum wage will raise from $11 an hour to $13.25 immediately and to $15 an hour on January 1, 2019."

"There is something fundamentally wrong when the United States remains the only major c
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...
"Write a book, you can be a millionaire too"
Bernie Sanders
(view spoiler)

So, he's a millionaire. Too. 😵

(Refreshing memories; that was the cover of the Mauitime, March 24, 2016)
(view spoiler)

Keith LaFountaine
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
While Where We Go from Here is exactly what you would expect from a Bernie Sanders book (not a bad thing by any means), it does provide some clear paths forward in our current political strife.

It's also nice to read about and feel some optimism. Nowadays, being cynical is easy -- and understandably so. There's something refreshing about the way Bernie calls everyone to action, though.

Who knows what 2019 and 2020 are going to bring politically, but I hope that the brand of Sanders optimism and p
Wendelle So
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great
Whatever one's political affiliation,
i) further tax cuts to already-billionaires in a context of the deepest American inequality gap since the Gilded Age and a huge national deficit
ii) pharmaceutical drugs that cost 1000$ in the US but 4$ in India
iii) a refusal to acknowledge climate change
just makes no sense and Sen. Bernie Sanders has been instrumental in shifting the national conversation towards these issues. As the book quotes, I think of the Harvard Review, Sen. Bernie 'has not only shifte
Orestes
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always refreshing to read the writing of someone from the political class who is grounded in reality. The title of the book is a little misleading, it really should have been titled what Bernie Sanders has been doing since the 2016 election. Which is pretty much the entire book, if you've watched a stump speech of his from the 2016 campaign you get an idea of what he has been up to in this book. All that being said it's definitely still worth your time and it might be a good gift for someon ...more
Robert Stevens
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This is not a time for despair. This is not a time for depression. This is a time to stand up and fight back. Please join us.” - Bernie Sanders

How do we fight back? We share our views with all people who will listen. This book is a progressive handbook. I highly recommend it because Bernie’s views should not be viewed as fringe. We must continue the fight and not be silent. Progress cannot be stopped, only delayed. (*****)
Diane Scholten
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, nonfiction
I think this is Bernie's "I'm going to run again" book - once again laying out his platform. Done more or less like blog entries on a variety of topics. Shorter than his other books, and has fun personal touches - but pretty much laying out his agenda again. I liked it.
felix
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very interested in - and agree deeply with - Bernie's politics, which is why I picked this up: as a more detailed, personalised manuscript of what he wants to do. What I got was slightly different.

Firstly, the book is packaged, advertised and titled misleadingly. What I, and others, believed to be a manifesto of where to go from here (i.e. 2016 election), was really a poorly structured hodge-podge of essays relating to a variety of different issues. Whilst I agreed with his viewpoint, ther
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I love Bernie and his ideas for real change.

Unfortunately, this book is extremely repetitive as it chronicles various meetings and speeches. There are other books on Bernie Sanders which are more concise, and thus more impactful.
Andrew Nearbin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.. Sander shows his own conflict and compassion with those that are disenfranchised from American politics after the election of Donald Trump. Filled with quotes, and actual political advice from Sander himself..
Behrooz Parhami
I listened to the unabridged audio version of this title (read by the author, Mcmillan Audio, 2018).

Bernie Sanders rose to his current Senate seat, working his way up from the mayor of Burlington, Vermont. He defines himself as a Democratic Socialist and labels the grassroots movement he started "Our Revolution." I like and support many of Sanders' ideas: Universal healthcare, tuition-free college for all, raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour, paid parental leave, dealing with climate cha
Mike
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Senator Sanders outlines his progressive agenda: once viewed as unpopular or unrealistic prior to his candidacy in the 2016 election, now it is the popular platform for the Democratic Party leading into 2020.

Narrated by the author.
Gypsy Thomas
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, down-to-earth, no-nonsense recounting by Senator Sanders of the rise of the "Our Revolution" movement, as well as a historical account of Sander's run for president. Sander's speaks frankly of the most compelling issues facing America today and how and why they are not being addressed by our Representatives in Congress. Whether you agree with his viewpoints or not, he provides full coverage of recent political events in an easy to read way and isn't afraid to tackle today's toughes ...more
Erin Burba
2.5. Motion to rename this book Humblebrag: I’m going to read out loud positive newspaper articles about myself and throw around the word ‘revolution’ until it loses all meaning.
Shaina Robbins
All these political memoirs are so hard to rate. Am I rating how much I agree politically, or am I critiquing this as literature? I'm onboard with many of Bernie's ideas, but he seriously half-asses his book writing. There's no other word for it.
Denise
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Having just read Sanders's account of his 2016 presidential campaign in Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In, I found this to be an excellent follow-up. C'mon, Bernie... you can announce your candidacy for 2020 any time now...
Ailith Twinning
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love Bernie, but this not required reading. Everyone has written this argument better, including Bernie.
Mike Higgins
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bernie Sanders was and remains the most powerful, positive progressive counterpoint to Trump’s poisonous populism. This book offers an inspired and compelling blueprint to make America great.
Sam Eckman
I did not like the book at all. I read it to try to understand Sander's ideas but he did not explain or defend any of his beliefs. I think reading the book was pretty much a waste of time.
Mary
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is not based on Sanders' political ideas, but on the quality of the read, which for me, was more like 2.5 stars. I've never read a politician's book, but I wanted to learn more about Sanders beyond what is seen through the news shows.

This book was basically Bernie Sanders and what he thinks about a ton of different issues - everything from healthcare for all to Brett Kavanuagh - and not tremendously organized. Each chapter has a date in the title, and one wonders if this book contains
Joe Kessler
This latest book from Bernie Sanders was published shortly before the Vermont senator officially announced that he would once more be seeking the Democratic nomination for president, but it has clearly been written with the intent of making that case to voters. And since the author's favored policies are fairly well-known after his unsuccessful previous attempt in 2016, this volume is aimed less at explaining that progressive platform and more at arguing for its current popularity around the cou ...more
Rachel Stevenson
In the run up to the presidential election. I made a personal decision to read all of the books for all the Democratic candidates
(The ones who had published books anyway)

This book taught me three things and reinforced why i put money behind Bernie when he announced his presidential campaign.

1.) Grassroots Work is Vital
2.) We must include rural states we precieve to be RED. There are pockets of liberals who need to be motivated to be mobilize for progessive action in poltics.
3.) We must have
Brianne
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Bernie. Yup...everything about him. He got me pumped once again. Great read for anyone who needs to light a fire under their bottom to get involved in the revolution.
Joseph Weyek
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is act one of Bernie's 2020 presidential campaign. Bernie is the OG of progressive politics.

• Right is Wrong: How the Lunatic Fringe Hijacked America, Shredded the Constitution, and Made Us All Less Safe
  • What Would the Founders Do? Our Questions, Their Answers
  • Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • What It Means to Be a Democrat
  • As Texas Goes...: How the Lone Star State Hijacked the American Agenda
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • Your Government Failed You: Breaking the Cycle of National Security Disasters
  • Rivers of Empire: Water, Aridity, and the Growth of the American West
  • The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children
  • So Far from God: The U.S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848
  • The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and the Election of 1828
  • Maestro: Greenspan's Fed and the American Boom
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart of the Right-Wing Media
  • Dreamland: The Way Out of Juarez
  • The Space between Us: Social Geography and Politics
Bernard "Bernie" Sanders is the junior United States Senator from Vermont, elected on November 7, 2006. Before becoming Senator, Sanders represented Vermont's at-large district in the United States House of Representatives for 16 years. Sanders also served as mayor of Burlington, Vermont from 1981 through 1989.