Start by marking “The Next Person You Meet in Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Next Person You Meet in Heaven

The Next Person You Meet in Heaven

(The Five People You Meet in Heaven)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  20,771 ratings  ·  2,611 reviews
In this enchanting sequel to the number one bestseller The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom tells the story of Eddie’s heavenly reunion with Annie—the little girl he saved on earth—in an unforgettable novel of how our lives and losses intersect.

Fifteen years ago, in Mitch Albom’s beloved novel, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, the world fell in love with
Published October 16th 2018 by Harper (first published October 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, please sign up.
Mary Cummins You can read this book without rereading the Five People You Meet in Heaven. The author has a way of reintroducing Eddie in the book.I am sure
you…more
you will remember the original as you read the story about Annie the little girl he saved.(less)
Michelle Renee I read this book without ever reading the first. I don't know if I needed the first or not, but this book on its own was powerful and extremely…moreI read this book without ever reading the first. I don't know if I needed the first or not, but this book on its own was powerful and extremely moving! I might go back and read the first, might not. (less)

·  20,771 ratings  ·  2,611 reviews

Start your review of The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
Charlotte May
"At certain moments, when death is close, the veils pull back between this world and the next. Heaven and Earth overlay. When they do, it is possible to glimpse certain souls already departed. You can see them awaiting your arrival. And they can see you coming."

Mitch Albom is one of my favourite authors. He manages to make the mundane parts of life magical and heart warming.
I absolutely love The Five People You Meet in Heaven and this is set up as a sequel to that one. We follow Annie, the
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 bold stars to The Next Person You Meet in Heaven!

Everyone wanted a sequel to one of the most beloved books, and Mitch Albom has delivered!

Briefly, to set the stage, in The Five People You Meet in Heaven, we met Eddie, a rough and gruff war veteran turned mechanic who passed away in the act of saving a little girl named Annie. Eddie’s trip to heaven involved questions and answers about the meaning of life.

In this follow-up, Annie’s story is told.

After the accident that took Eddie’s life,
Kat Valentine
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thought provoking story from a truly amazing writer!!! I have read just about all of Albom's books and everyone one of them has opened my heart and left me with that feel good vibe. This follow up from his early book The five people you meet in heaven was superbly written. Albom knows how to tap into characters that are so beautifully broken and yet have strength and depth that the reader can identify with. He continues to give me hope that their is more to life then what we know and ...more
Marialyce
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
4 uplifting stars
My reviews can be seen here: https://wordpress.com/post/yayareadsl...

I was once told in a college Philosophy course that we, as humans are made of energy. The professor then went on to say that energy can never be destroyed and asked us to form our own conclusions about what he had just said. As I read The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, I could not help but recall that professor and his words.

Perhaps we would all like to believe, well probably more to know, the existence of an
Elyse  Walters
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Felt much too strategically concocted!!!!

A quick follow up - whipped-up sequel to
“The Five People You Meet In Heaven”.

And for heaven’s sake...this sequel’s core premises is that ‘everything’ happens for a reason:
...we are all accepted -loved - forgiven
- there is always hope and love.

Flat hallmark writing. I was too cynical for it.

This little book kept me slightly entertained with my naughty scrooge critical mind while sitting on the airplane.
Not to worry - I criticized myself, too, for
Louise Wilson
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Five People You Meet In Heaven, we meet Eddie, a grizzly old war veteran - turned amusement park maintenance man who died saving the life of a young girl called Annie. Now it's time for Annie's story in this sequel.

After Annie's accident, she had no memory of what had happened to her. She has been haunted by what the truth might reveal. Annie is now an adult and another accident finds her on her own journey to heaven where she will be reunited with Eddie. Annie's life has not been easy,
Rebecca McNutt
I had a great English teacher back in high school who recommended I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and I loved it. I also bought the 2000's film adaptation, which was also very good, using super 8 film segments, music particular to the era and great actors to bring everything to life. So, I was glad to discover that there was a sequel released, which tells the story of Annie, the little girl whom Eddie sacrificed his own life for in the first novel.

The Next Person You Meet in Heaven is
Vernie♡
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
How did I not know a sequel was coming out to my favorite book of all time?

Ron Charles
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“The Next Person” follows the formula of its predecessor, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven": melodramatic flashbacks, greeting-card homilies. But heaven has been spruced up since we were here last. Annie, the little girl from "Five People" is now a nurse who dies just a few hours after her wedding. She zooms around heaven's kaleidoscopic clouds by car, by train, by mattress on some kind of spiritual acid trip, while parts of her body fade in and out. Albom notes that “nobody can talk when ...more
Ruthy lavin
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been an enormous fan of the work of Mitch Albom for a few years and I’ve read all of his books - each one has taught me different valuable life lessons, everything from finding that little bit of extra empathy for people, to really listening and finding understanding for what matters to us all individually.
He is just a wonderful, wonderful writer and so blessed as a story teller.
I have been eagerly awaiting The next person you meet in heaven ever since I heard it was being released this
Pauline
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Next Person You Meet in Heaven is a sequel to The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I had not read the first book so I got a copy and read it first.
The story starts with the death of a young woman Annie who had been saved from a near fatal accident as a young girl. She then meets five people who tell her a story to explain to her the meaning of her life.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
Aloha,

5 stars. Every grief journey is different. However, the endless questions grief bring is the same even if it a different shape.

I am seeking answers from everywhere. This book helps to answer several questions. I still have more but I better understand why and the next road to take with this book. One example I better understand now why some questions cannot be answered asap. I still will be searching. I cannot accept what happen not can I talk about it.

When a person is ready, this book
Kimberly Dawn
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up enjoying this very much on audiobook! - I started out thinking I may not enjoy his fiction as well as his nonfiction, but
now feel that Mitch Albom succeeds in his fiction writing by bringing enjoyment to people of many faith backgrounds and uniting them in that sense of enjoyment.

I love encountering glimpses of heaven in literature. I especially love those I have found in the writings of CS Lewis.

from The Last Battle book 7 Narnia:

The Pevensie kids get into Heaven, where you can run
Samantha Sim
you can always count on mitch albom for a good ol' cry.
Jennifer Kyle
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful!!!
Renee (itsbooktalk)
I can't believe it's been 15 years since Mitch Albom publishedThe Five People You Meet in Heaven! That book has always stuck with me so I wouldn't have guessed it's been that long. In The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, Albom tells Annie's story, the little girl Eddie (who was killed) saved one day at an amusement park. If you haven't read the first book I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary as Albom does a really good job of providing some backstory in this one but I do think my reading ...more
Sarah Theis
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Loss is as old as life itself. But for all our evolution, we are yet to accept it.*

Literally. Crying. No joke. Crying.

This book is so stirring, eye opening and emotional! Beautifully written, and totally worth reading. I loved the 1st one and loved this one even more. It had a twist I didn't see coming since I was so engrossed with what was happening to Annie in heaven to notice any clues to the ending. You don't even have to be religious to be moved by this story. Recommend this book 100%!
Sherri Thacker
While reading this book my mother in law unexpectedly passed away. 95 years young. So healthy, still living on her own, still driving, so full of life!!! This book literally made me pause and think about our life and what we just lost! I loved Mitch Albom’s first book to this one so I was excited when this one came out. 4 stars from me!
Virginie
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, psychological
One of my favorites from Albom, along with The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto.

It's probably because I felt closer to the character, a young woman like me, but I prefered this one to the first of the serie.

I liked how it was dramatic and beautiful at the same time. It was a short read and it felt like a page turner. The first third of the book was a 3-star for me and then it turned out really good. I read it two weeks ago and when I closed it I wanted to rate it 4.5 stars. I now realize it's
Renee Amberg
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it would be possible for Albom to match The 5 People You Meet In Heaven, but to be honest, I think he did better! Wow, this series is amazing! There are so many valuable life lessons that are brought out in these books. This is a story or love, understanding, and connection. All of which, Albom does a great job of explaining through each character. It's not often that a book makes me physically feel the emotions that the characters are going through, but I got chills and teary ...more
Meghan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy and for my honest review, I've enjoyed every page of this book from beginning to end. I have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven years ago and have enjoyed it then and it was nice to see where this book started pick up to where the other book left off with Annie and Eddie reuniting after Eddie's death. This book taught so many life lessons especially to never take life for granted, cease every moment and count your blessings because you never ...more
Charlotte Jones
*Disclaimer: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom in 2013 when my reading tastes were very different so I was a little apprehensive going into this sequel. I would suggest that this is more of a companion novel to be honest as it is of course useful to have read the previous one, it isn't necessary.

I enjoyed Annie as a protagonist and found that Mitch Albom tied the two novels together beautifully.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching story of how a complete stranger can have as much impact on our life as our closest family member.

SUMMARY
THE NEXT PERSON YOU MEET IN HEAVEN is a sequel to The Five People You Meet in Heaven. When Annie was only eight-years-old she lost her left hand in a horrific accident at the Ruby Pier amusement park. The hand was surgically reattached but it left an indelible mark on Annie’s life. She doesn’t remember the tragic accident that killed Eddie, the amusement park mechanic but it left
Christina Claypool
Mitch Albom, you've done it again! First of all, I am a huge fan, and as a fellow journalist by profession, I adore Albom's writing style. He does extensive research and it always brings his characters to life. Plus, there is such intrigue in a real world and relational sense in this novel, it makes the read even more compelling.
As an author myself, I don't include spoilers in my reviews, because I don't think that is fair to an author or his/her potential readers. Yet I can safely say the plot
Mayda
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, religious
We first met Annie in a previous tale about heaven. Now, we learn about Annie’s life, what happened to her after her accident at the amusement park, how she spent her childhood, how she grew up and fell in love, and how she came to be in heaven. We also get a glimpse of others there, including Eddie, the maintenance man who saved her, and we share in the lessons that Annie discovers. This is a version of heaven that the author imagined; it is a novel and not meant to sway anyone’s way of ...more
Rissa
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5
Annie died right after her life was finally coming together. She just got married when the accident happened and she died. Annie is now traveling through Heaven meeting people from her past some she recognizes and others she has to think harder on how she knows them as they each teach her a lesson from her time on earth.
This was really cute really sweet and I really liked that her dog was one of the “people” she meet in heaven.

The next person you meet in heaven
Annie just got married as
Ms. Jackson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A possible theme for this book is that you have no idea how someone's action, no matter how small or large, can affect your life. In this book, Annie meets five people when she gets to heaven. The first one she meets she does not remember, but he had a huge impact on her life and the person she would become.
Dawn
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I did read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" before reading this sequel, it's not necessary to read "Five People" in order to understand "the Next …" It definitely would make your reading experience richer to have read both books, but if you don't have access to the first, you can go ahead and read the sequel and then go back for the first one later.

I enjoyed the experience of discovering what this book is about - what happens and why - way too much to in any way compromise another
Wendy  Wallflower
I loved Mitch Albom and I always will. This is the first book of his, so far, that I’ve ever rated less than 4-5 stars... and I’ve read all his novels. This book was good, of course, but it just didn’t have the same magical vibe that his past works have. It seemed kind of mashed together with previous lessons learned, to just have something to put out there.
Stefanie Sugia
"...when you first get to heaven, you meet five people from your time on earth. They were all in your life for a reason... They teach you something you didn't realize while you were alive. It helps you understand the things you went through."
It has been 8 years since I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven , and it's been 15 long years since that book was published. Wow, where did the time go? Even though it's been so many years since I read that book, I still hold it very dearly to my heart

• Every Breath
  • The Noel Stranger (The Noel Collection, #2)
  • A Spark of Light
  • The Road Home
  • Noel Street
  • Night of Miracles (Mason, #2)
  • Nine Perfect Strangers
  • Alaskan Holiday
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)
  • The Reckoning
  • Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Someone Knows
  • The Forgotten Road (The Broken Road, #2)
  • Target: Alex Cross (Alex Cross, #26)
  • Elevation
  • The Silent Patient
  • Summer of '69
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2 books)
  • The Five People You Meet in Heaven
“Because we embrace our scars more than our healing. [...] We can recall the exact day we got hurt, but who remembers the day the wound was gone?” 40 likes
“We fear loneliness, Annie, but loneliness itself does not exist. It has no form. It is merely a shadow that falls over us. And Just as shadows die when light changes, the sadness can depart once we see the truth."

"What's the truth?" Annie asked.

"That the end of loneliness is when someone needs you." The old woman smiled. "And the world is so full of need.”
24 likes