Start by marking “Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful: Experience the Natural Power of Pregnancy and Birth with Kundalini Yoga and Meditation” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From internationally renowned yoga teacher Gurmukh comes a book on pregnancy unlike any other. Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful is a treasury of wisdom, information, and inspiration for pregnancy and motherhood based on the spiritual and physical practices of Kundalini yoga, which Gurmukh has taught for the last thirty years.

With illustrated, step-by-step instructions, she t
Published June 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful

Nicole Taylor
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this! The writing style is so conversational and supportive, it was like talking to a friend about motherhood. Helpful for those of us who aren't pregnant yet but are preparing for that time of life.
Kate Bukowski
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
A good book to read, especially if you are on a kundalini yoga path. At times you feel you are being pushed down a path of natural birthing, and home birthing and there is a premiss that as the author had a bad time in the 60s with obstetricians that all Obs are bad and will totally disempower you. I don't think this is true at all.
The book also focuses on the man woman relationship a lot and does not once mention there are other ways of having a baby. Even What to Expect does now.
The exercises
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally decided to read third tri section as I'm already past first and second tri and those sections were a snore to try to get through at this point. Third tri was a short and easy read. Her spirituality is a little out there and hard to follow but her main encouragement is uplifting and affirming. Wish I had started reading earlier had I realized the book was broken up into trimesters. I'm enjoying the part on after birth as well. Missed the oxytocin high bond she talks about after birth with ...more
Andrea Paterson
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-fitness
I recently started a prenatal yoga class and got this book as a companion to the class so I can do some yoga and mediation at home as well. Looks great so far, but I'm not very far into it.

Having come to the end of this book I found that it offered some wonderful encouragement, but the sheer quantity of meditations that it asks you to try make it overwhelming. I would recommend picking out one or two meditations that really resonate with you and stick to them. You would need to devote your entir
Carrie Auwarter
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
It's probably best if you can get your hands on this book early into your with the numerous meditations sprinkled throughout the book, it takes time to let the words sink in & to be able to practice what Gurmukh is teaching. I didn't hear about the book until around the end of my second trimester...I still enjoyed it & it's calm, peaceful message about pregnancy, birth & motherhood, but I definitely would have got more out if it if I'd discovered it sooner. The only ...more
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book full of timeless wisdom and insight that empowers expecting ladies in a very positive manner. It focuses on strengthening your mind, body and spirit for birthing the way it has been for eons. Gurmukh offers a gentle and refreshing approach to the fear based medical model of modern times. Simple exercises and meditations are offered at the end of each chapter to help recreate one's daily practice. It pairs very well with the author's prenatal yoga DVD. As a Kundalini yogi, I wish I ...more
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great to understand that pregnancy isn't just a whole heap of changes in the body physically but also hormonally and emotionally, and Gurmukh guides us in how to embrace all those changes with grace, sensitivity and acceptance. Great to read when you think you might be the only one on an emotional roller coaster during your pregnancy. Great for partners to read as well to be able to relate and take care of us. A superb gift from my friend Ali.
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
So I just discovered this sitting on my shelf. I had received it from someone who was moving last summer and wanted to clear her bookshelves. Then I forgot about it and when I went to clear my bookshelves: there it was!

A pretty light read. The meditations and yoga are nice to try. And also, my arms hurt from doing so. :) It's broken up into the trimesters of pregnancy with pertinent meditations for each stage. It's a book I'll keep around because sometimes I'm just in a hippie mood.
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
An easy yet empowering read. I enjoyed reading it during this pregnancy as much as I enjoyed reading Our Babies, Ourselves by Meredith Small, which was the best book I read while pregnant the first time around.

I do not do yoga, but still I appreciate the messages and meditations offered in this book. Another winner from Aunt Michelle, who is quickly becoming the guru of all pregnancy and motherhood reads. :)
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is a little over-the-top Kundalini for me (Kundalini being a rather religious-extreme branch of yoga), but has some lovely stories and offers some good meditations and poses for pregnancy and labor-prep. Also, the foreword is by Cindy Crawford, who apparently had two homebirths--who knew?
Angie McCloskey
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is cool for the meditations but is a little hokey for me and a little preachy at times on the vegetarian/vegan tip. I will so never get Fran on the floor to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" with me. Nor would I make that request of him. I dig the au natural vibe in general though- and the body beautiful message.
Irma Yavno
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very unique, inspiring, moving. full of wisdom and free of judgement book. I wish i read it when i was pregnant with my two older daughters, but thankful that i read it this time around. Loved the helpful, beautiful Kudnalini meditations at the end of every chapter. Highly recommend it to any mom or mom-to-be.
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babies
As crazy and new age-y as it seems, this ended up being the right birth book for me. I learned about it in my prenatal yoga class and now it's the book I would send to expecting loved ones. Extremely positive and encouraging. I didn't read the Cindy Crawford forward, so couldn't tell you what happens there.
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book on the spiritual aspects of pregnancy. I read it cover to cover, used many of the ideas she gave for a peaceful pregnancy and birth. I have a very calm, very happy 3 week old baby now, and am convinced my mindset during pregnancy had good deal to do with it.
Jos-Madelaine Standing
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are pregnant, plan on being pregnant, or know anyone who is or will be in future - please, oh please, read this book. No exaggeration of enthusiasm here. You will come out empowered and aware of how amazing the female body is when it prepares to give birth and does.
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this as part of my prenatal yoga teacher training- it's great. The simplicity, peacefulness, anecdotes , and meditations are amazing. I would recommend to anyone pregnant who is already into yoga. If you aren't into yoga it might be a bit too "out there" for you.
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
another essential book for pregnant mamas. whether you practice yoga or not, you will find this book to be enlightening and soothing, with practical physical and spiritual advice for preparing to welcome a child into the world. really great book!
Brooklyn James
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and philosophical reminder of just how truly unique pregnancy and motherhood is. I will likely re-read this one, as the enlightened passages deserve to be studied until they seep into ones subconscious.
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS! I loved it so much, that I plan on buying it so that I will have the meditations at hand when I need/want them. I love the spirituality and positivity of this book. It has literally changed the thoughts that run through my head from fear and worry, to excitement and thankfulness.
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the two textbooks for my Prenatal Yoga training classes. A wonderful book for any mother to-be searching for a deeper connection to the experiences of pregnancy and birth.
Andrea Rizzo
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many good tips but a bit unrealistic for those with full-time schedules that have to work during pregnancy.
Shaheen Sheik-Sadhal
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring book to help you connect and reconnect to your pregnancy.
Julie Fiandt
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some of her reflections really guided me through the times in my pregnancy when I felt fearful or worried.
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title really describes this book. Full of wisdom and encouragement for expecting mothers. Kundalini yoga meditations and exercises are explained throughout.
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not only great meditative exercises, it is a great reminder of ideas and senses to reflect on.
Jasmina Atanassova
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for mamas-to-be. I never knew I could own the experience of giving birth and that it can be so beautiful
Mar 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Momma's
Must have if Prego!
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
Loved. Meditations fir each trimester. This book was relevant throughout the pregnancy.
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this was a wonderful, affirming part of my pregnancy. The stories, movements and meditations within will continue to provide guidance, focus and light now that Baby has arrived.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kundalini Yoga
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
  • Birth without Violence
  • Birth Matters:  A Midwife's Manifesta
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care
  • The Kundalini Yoga Experience: Bringing Body, Mind, and Spirit Together
  • Mind over Labor: A Breakthrough Guide to Giving Birth (Penguin Handbooks)
  • The Doula Guide to Birth: Secrets Every Pregnant Woman Should Know
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa is a teacher of Kundalini Yoga and a pioneer in the field of pre-natal yoga. She is the co-founder and director of the Golden Bridge Yoga Center in Los Angeles.
More about Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa...
“When fear overwhelms truth and love, we call it pain. Our spirit as women has all the knowledge and power we need to give birth and to nurture our babies. It is in our genetic coding. It has been there since the beginning of time. You can trust its wisdom.” 0 likes