Start by marking “Pregnancy and Power: A Short History of Reproductive Politics in America” as Want to Read:
Pregnancy and Power: A Short History of Reproductive Politics in America

Pregnancy and Power: A Short History of Reproductive Politics in America

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A sweeping chronicle of women's battles for reproductive freedom throughout American history, Pregnancy and Power explores the many forces--social, racial, economic, and political--that have shaped women's reproductive lives in the United States.

Leading historian Rickie Solinger argues that a woman's control over her body involves much more than the right to choose an abor
Published March 1st 2007 by New York University Press (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pregnancy and Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pregnancy and Power

Finn
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Finn by: found in austin library
Shelves: favorites
damn! seriously, damn!
i read this over a year ago while living in austin and tore threw it. the subtitle explains the book well, but the theme that strings this book (and the ACTUAL history of reproductive freedom (or lack thereof) together is the fact that white supremacy has been completely central the control of ALL women's bodies and choices.
oh, and its not just about abortion. a very small portion of the book is devoted to the topic of abortion. major themes are adoption, welfare, maternit
Jess
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a dense, academic read, but so revealing and important. I felt like every page had something at which I gasped, or swore, or needed to get up and pace as I worked through the implications. Solinger tells a history of reproduction in America that goes against every notion of constant forward progress we assume in this very future-centric country: that people were much more relaxed and matter-of-fact about unintended pregnancies, out of wedlock, and choices to abort, bear, and rear ch ...more
Shana
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Don’t be fooled by the title, because this book definitely isn’t a quick read. It takes time to digest all the information Solinger throws at you. It is, however, a fairly readable text for it being such a heavy topic. Anyone who wants to have the current politics of reproductive health put into historical and social context should definitely read this book. In fact, I challenge anyone to read this and then tell me that the arguments against birth control and abortion have always been the way th ...more
Meghan
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent and detailed history of reproduction and women's rights in regard to reproduction throughout the history of the United States. Much of the information presented by Solinger is stunning and I kept wondering how I had never heard of any of it before. The history of birth control has been kept out of the media and has a dark history.

For me this was an easy read because I was so captivated by the topic, but I think for most people this may be a little bit dry.
Samantha Pajor
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, history
A must-read for anyone interested in reproductive rights/justice/politics. I'm going to recommend this one to my friends. It excellently explained how different groups of women have been treated differently over time just because they have the ability to reproduce. We have to learn about and understand the manipulation we have endured in order to fight against it now.
Grace
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read that gives an intersectional feminist view of women's rights around reproduction. Highly recommended for historians, policy makers, social workers, and human service professionals.
Saspell
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book right after devouring Dorothy Roberts' Killing the Black Body. They're both very stimulating and well written.
Alayne
Aug 29, 2008 rated it liked it
A bit heavy-handed in its political agenda, I do appreciate the multi-cultural historical perspective.
Shanna
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shanna by: Planned Parenthood Book Club
Really informative and well-researched, but nothing new regarding the arguments.

Pattie
Rather fascinating American history of reproductive rights. It is political; not personal.
myra
Mar 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: repro rights activists
like Zinn's history of the US, but for reproductive rights...
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author is able to think in a broader, conceptual context, but lacks the skills in writing and nuance to communicate effectively. There are better books of this kind.
manuela delva
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • The Woman in the Body: A Cultural Analysis of Reproduction
  • Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood
  • Devices and Desires: A History of Contraceptives in America
  • The Trouble Between Us: An Uneasy History of White and Black Women in the Feminist Movement
  • Our Bodies, Our Crimes: The Policing of Women's Reproduction in America
  • The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America: Freedom, Politics, and the War on Sex
  • Shattered Bonds: The Color Of Child Welfare
  • Food for Our Grandmothers: Writings by Arab-American and Arab-Canadian Feminists
  • When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
  • Pin-Up Grrrls: Feminism, Sexuality, Popular Culture
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • Abortion & Life
  • Disposable Domestics: Immigrant Women Workers in the Global Economy
  • City of Eros: New York City, Prostitution, and the Commercialization of Sex, 1790-1920