Start by marking “A Very Hungry Girl” as Want to Read:
A Very Hungry Girl

A Very Hungry Girl

A Very Hungry Girl chronicles the journey of Jessica Weiner, who spent most of her life hungering to be someone else. She was so desperate to be accepted and valued that she spiraled into an eating disorder, experiencing the attendant lack of self-esteem that rules--and almost ruined--her life. This compelling book relates Jessica's very personal story, and also captures h ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about A Very Hungry Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Hungry Girl

Tracy
Jan 26, 2010 rated it liked it
In the first part of the book, the author tells her own story (so interesting and well-written). The second part is full of stories from the road and is a bit preachy. The third covers steps you can take today to help people around you with eating disorders, addictions, and depression. They aren't lofty ideas. They are very practical things a person can do today to make a difference. I would like to hang out with the author and that isn't something I typically say after reading an autobiography. ...more
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wonderful! I gives me joy to know there are people like Jessica out there using their creativity, doing what they love, and changing the world at the same time. Especially for parents, present and future, books like these really help uncover the pressures on college students, teenagers, and even young ones. Honestly, times (and social pressures) change so quickly that if I am not making an effort to keep up I will have NO IDEA what it's like!
Kirsten Dee
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young women
Shelves: pastreads
this book contained three sections: one about the author, another about her fellowships, and finally a self help section. i found the self help section to be a bit fortune cookie, however the rest was enthralling. self image issues seem to run rampant in everyone, not just women...and this book definately addressed this. i do not suffer from an eating disorder, but after finishing "a very hungry girl" i feel like i can better relate to women and men alike.
Nikki
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The author was an acquaintance of mine from my college days. She was an amazing young woman and I can remember seeing her one-woman show in the theatre department. I knew she was headed for big things...but imagine my surprise when I saw her on a talk show recently!!!!! The book was raw and honest with great insight.
Gato
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Decent book on self acceptance but there are better ones out there. This might be a good read for middle school counselors who haven't taken a continuing ed course on girls and eating disorders and peer pressure in a long time.
Sharon
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
She's my moms cousin. We didn't know this is how she felt. We bought her book to support her. Its very good however and I it represtents me and how I feel about myself.
Katrin
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good inspiring book!
Frankie
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
As a former eating disorder woman I understood the body image issues whole heartedly, did get a little to preachy and somewhat self congratulatory. Good dialogue opener for anyone who is suffering
Hannah
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really inspiring, just what I needed! I can't wait to read her next one!
Jswogger
Nov 20, 2013
Catherine Ann
Sep 30, 2014
Haley
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2013