Start by marking “Sixth Grade Secrets” as Want to Read:
Sixth Grade Secrets

Sixth Grade Secrets

From the Newbery-award winning author of Holes

When Laura Sibbie starts a secret club at school, makes the other members them give her something totally embarrassing as "insurance," to make sure they don't tell anyone else about the club. She promises to keep the insurance secret, unless someone blabs. Gabriel, who never tells on anybody, would be a perfect member of Pig Ci
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1987)

Paula
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like to read about kids who have their own clubs and secrets.
Recommended to Paula by: myself
In "Sixth Grade Secrets" it all started with a hat. Laura bought a hat in a yard sale and liked it because it said,"Pig City". She and her friends decide to make their own club and want to name it Pig City because of the hat. Then Gabriel, a boy, knows a little bit about Pig City and wants to be in the club. So, he writes Laura a letter saying that he knows about Pig City and that he won't tell anyone. Gabriel writes the letter so that Laura would let him join her club. For insurance in Laura's ...more
Sara
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I remember reading this book as a kid, and all I remembered was the bit about the underpants and the edited note. I picked it up at a used bookstore today and finished it in one afternoon.

For a book about secret clubs and petty teenagers and mean-spirited pranks, this wasn't bad. Actually, it was pretty good. I liked that Laura was a brat of a protag who did mean things but wasn't entirely unlikeable and you actually felt sorry for her when she got hurt and screwed over. I was sorry she didn't g
ABC
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: older-kids
Apparently this book is currently out of print. I am not sure why. It's a great book that my son just loved. It's all about a secret club started by a girl who is a born leader. Things spiral out of control and by the end of the book, you are on the edge of your seat.

Not recommended for kids much younger than fifth grade. It's not a kiddy book, more of a middle school book.

My only criticism is that in real life a good teacher would have stepped in much earlier and figured out what was going on.
Kats
First rule of Fight Club is "You do not talk about Fight Club!". Pig City has exactly the same set of rules except they have a mean "insurance policy" to be able to enforce these rules......

For a six hour drive from Zurich, Switzerland, to Tuscany (Italy), we picked this audio book in the hope that it would appeal to the 9- and 12-year-old as well as to the adults in the car. It did! We all enjoyed the story as well as the narration, and I look forward to reading more Louis Sachar. My 12-year-o
Jenna Jakubowski
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book was super good that I just can't explain how great it is!
Tina
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
I lost count how many times I had read this book. The cover was so worn, it was falling off. I forced my younger sister to learn the Pig City "salute". Good times!
Tracey
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One tends to forget how really mean kids could really be to one another. What started out as a secret club, ended up escalating with other people getting hurt in the process. One thing about Laura - she never lied and stood up when someone else was going to get the blame for something she did. In the end - truth and honesty won the day. Just by-the-by; the fictional character Mr Doyle (homeroom teacher) is by far the coolest fictional character in Pig City. Imagine if all teachers had an amazing ...more
Khalil McMorris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is called sixth grade secrets. It is about a girl named Laura Sibbie who created a secret club called pig city. Everyone who joins the club has to give Laura something embarrassing so if they say anything about the club Laura would tell the school the the embarrassing thing. It starts to fall apart when another person creates their own club. I would really recommend this book to people who enjoy drama.
Michelle
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well when Laura goes to a yard sell with her friends she finds a hat called pig city. So then she wore everyday to school. Everyone got used to it. Then she and her friends want to start a club called pig city because of her hat. They made them give insurance that is embarrassing and if they tell anyone about pig city it will be shown to everyoneSo then a kid named Gabriel gave a note to her that said that he knew about pig city but it is only a little that he knows. So then A girl named Sheila ...more
Claire
I read this last night when I couldn't sleep. It has always been a childhood favourite of mine but after re-reading it I have downgraded it to 3 stars (it was 4 before). When I read this as a child (probably around 6th grade), I loved the whole club thing and if I remember correctly, I tried to start my own club (no insurance required) but it was a spectacular failure. Reading now though, I can't believe how horrible these girls are! It is still quite funny and I always loved the idea of the dic ...more
♥ Aphrodite
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
OMG, I've been looking for this book! I forgot the title but I knew what the cover looks like...after searching various authors I finally came across Sideways Stories from Wayside School and a light went on...same author. AHA! I found it!

This was absolutely my favorite book of all time in elementary school. This is were my love for writing and reading was sparked. I absolutely thank Louis Sachar for his genius writing. This book I recommend every parent to buy for their fourth firth sixth grader
Swankivy
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favoritebooks
Read this as a kid when I was going to be going into sixth grade the next year. I loved it and shared it with my sister. The characters were all multi-layered--amazingly so for a kids' book, too!--and I loved these kids having competing clubs with warring anthems, not to mention the hilarious things they did to collect dirt on each other in exchange for membership. And I related to Laura, the main character, because everyone knew her for her long hair. :)
Rosanna
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the Book called Six Grade Secrets by Louis Sachar. He is a real good author. In this book it takes you back as if you were back in six grade. It made me remember all the drama that came with being that age and most of all how we all wanted so badly to fit in with all of our peers. I recommend this book to anyone that wants a good read.
Claire Hua
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laura is my favorite character in this book. She is smart, and honest. She hasn't cut her hair since she was four. Her parents told her that if she doesn't lie, then she doesn't need to cut her hair. Sheila is my worst favorite character. She is a big jerk and a big fat lier. I enjoyed this book very much, and had a fantastic time reading it.😃
Jill
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
***SPOILER ALERT***Humorous rivalry between two classmates! One girl makes a club with her friends and won't allow an annoying friend join! This club involves secrets(hense the name)insurance and dares! MY favorite book of all time!
Edward (saysmeow)
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. This was my favorite book ever since I read it in 5th grade. I always read it when I get bored like in an airplane to China. It never gets boring.
Katherine Tobiya
It was alright, I never read this as a child but I love most of Louis Sachar and his books so thought I'd give this a try. Not at the same level at all as his others, but still not bad.
Teagan
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really good because the characters were really interesting. I couldn't put it down!
Emily
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childhood
THIS WAS LITERALLY ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS WHEN I WAS YOUNGER HOLY COW I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE NAME OF IT FOREVER
Kate
When I saw this cover I remembered that girl with her long hair... my hair used to be that long when I was younger...
Marian
Feb 24, 2014 added it
This was one of my favorite books when I was in elementary school. So glad I had the chance to re-read it!
Stephen Connor
Pig City is a club set up by Laura: it has rules, a secret salute, and, to be in it, you have to give insurance. That way, if ever you betray Pig City, you can never speak ill of it.

Gabriel is a boy who wants to be in Pig City, but doesn’t know how to approach Laura (young love, perhaps). He leaves a note in her desk, but that is intercepted and changed, leading to consequences that see bickering, arguments and revenge between the children in Laura’s class.

At the centre of this is Mr Doyle, th
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I received this book as a gift when i was a child, around the ages of the kids in this book or a year younger. I haven't read this book in a long time, but I still have fond memories of it. The story was amusing, and written well, but then, this is Louis Sachar, I enjoyed his book 'Holes' and I read that one when I was an adult.

Overall this is a kid-appropriate book and really enjoyable, though in the year 2017, some are bound to find this book dated. Nonetheless, it's a good story that as a kid
Mattie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A girl named Laura started a secret club called Pig City. She goes through many troubles- including war with another club. I can connect to this because there have been clubs in my class before. I think Laura and I are alike because we are both passionate and determined. One of my friends has a fort like Laura's "Dog House", but it is not the home of a club. This book reminds me of another book I read called Revenge of the Happy Campers because it's about kids who get in a war.
Britany Hanks
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book about older children learning to get along with their peers. Through secret keeping and childish manipulation, 6th graders learn to maneuver their friendships and get along with each other. This is great for later elementary school students, especially those who have trouble getting along with others.
Nathalia
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Q
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Natalia
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Silly story for middle school girls. I abandoned it mid way through.
Cas
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as I remember from reading it over and over as a kid 💕
M
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pigs are pugnacious!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Disgusting page 3 62 Sep 30, 2014 06:36AM
What's the Name o...: Girl who never lies doesn't have to cut her hair [s] 4 133 Dec 13, 2011 02:03AM

• Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Do The Funky Pickle
  • The Hot and Cold Summer
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • About the B'nai Bagels
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

Louis was born in East Meadow, New York, in 1954. When he was nine, he moved to Tustin, California. He went to college at the University of California at Berkeley and graduated in 1976, as an economics major. The next year, he wrote his first book, Sideways Stories from Wayside School .

He was working