Start by marking “Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake (Holes, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake (Holes, #1.5)

Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake

(Holes #1.5)

Imagine your misfortune if, like Stanley Yelnats, you found yourself the victim of a miscarriage of justice and interned in Camp Green Lake Correctional Institute. How would you survive? Thoughtfully Louis Sachar has learnt his knowledge and expertise to the subject and created this wonderful, quirky, and utterly essential guide to toughing it out in the Texan desert. Spic ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published April 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake

Josiah
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You can't let anybody else tell you what your choices are. Sometimes they won't give you the right choice."

—Stanley Yelnats, Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake, P. 13

This book is a true diamond in the rough, and I'm genuinely sorry that more people won't end up reading it.
Never has the wit, timing, creativity and sensitive styling of Louis Sachar been better than in this miniature novel disguised as a survival guide. Louis Sachar melds so successfully into the personage of S
Nickie
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super quick read. Sometime after the end of Holes, Camp Green Lake has reopened. Main character Stanley Yelnats would like to share some of his wisdom that he gained from his experiences in Holes. Now some of the "chapters" are about detail specific things from Holes such as the yellow spotted lizards. But what I really took from the book was certain life lessons that everyone should learn at some point. One of the morals of the story was that the correct choice is not always one given. If you o ...more
Blake
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was fun to visit Camp Green Lake again. I started reading Small Steps, which is a loose sequel to Holes, and I didn't know if there was anything in this Survival Guide that had any bearing on Small Steps. There isn't. I think this book was published more in conjunction with the release of the movie.
Amk Aung Zaw
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stanley yelnat is from poor family. He found the hidden treasure one day and make a rich family.
H
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Dave P
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is just a short tie-in to Holes for a bit of fun.
Even so, it's completely awful. From the first few pages it seems to completely ignore many of the major plot points of Holes (which I won't spoil).
If it weren't so inconsequential it would go some way to ruining Holes itself, and I really don't understand why it was done like this!
Daphne
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a tie-in that was really not necesary. I didn't really enjoy it. It also seemed to ignore the cannon established in Holes which was odd.
old account (rl)
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was pretty boring, and I have to say that I skim read most of it. It was nice to see a little more of the characters, but I didn't really enjoy it. The information in it is very repetitive, we here it all in Holes and I didn't think it added anything to the story. Waste of time, really.
Lily Cunningham
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Good 3.5 stars
Jana
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cute, but a little too obviously riding off the success of Holes.
Katey
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another quick read, and I wasn't sure when I was going to start it. The book is pretty straight forward, and gives the reader information about Camp Greenlake and the characters from Holes.
Jessica
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5
Rather unnecessary.
Chrissy
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute little book. I cant wait to read Small Steps.
Kim Hampton
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short guide to life at Camp Green Lake by Stanley Yelnats from the book "Holes." Short but funny. It has info about some of the other characters also.
Lisa  Shamchuk
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
A funny addition to Holes, but not as entertaining or well written as the original.
Read Between The Vines
I think I expected too much from this, it was fine, it was the same as any other book survival guide, I was expecting more for some reason
Drew Graham
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
(Maybe 2.5)

Stanley Yelnats, now home from his adventures at Camp Green Lake Juvenile Correctional Facility, has decided to write a survival guide to help future campers to better endure their time spent there (since it has apparently re-opened?...).

I have no idea why exactly, but for some reason every time I heard about this book in recent years I figured it was a movie tie-in/adaptation from back in the day, so I didn't have much interest. Then when I read the excerpt included at the end of the
Dana Salman
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
The ONLY reason I give this book four stars instead of five was because it was that much of a disappointment (a HUGE disappointment, in other words) that it was just so short. I really hate Louis Sachar right now for not making this a little bit longer (especially considering I paid a totally unfair 41 dirhems for it, but that's just the fault of the cheapskates who own the bookshop). You know it's funny, you'll hate a really good author alot more than you'll hate a totally lousy author because ...more
Jeanna
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
Hearing about this book, I would have expected it to be fairly pathetic (sorry, Sachar). But then I read a couple reviews that said it was actually quite good, so I decided to read it anyway. And then I read it and ended up thinking it was somewhere in between. Not amazing, but not the awful piece of shameless coasting-on-the-awesomeness-of-the-previous-book book that I originally expected.

I think, really, the highlight of the book is something that Sachar does really well in most of his stuff:
Evan North
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the proper follow-up to "Holes", and I'm very pleased to give this book a good review. If you've read my review for "Small Steps", the second sequel to "Holes", you know I thought it was a good book, but I didn't care for it all that much because of how drastically the tone changed between the books. This book, however, while the tone has changed from "Holes", the change is not nearly as drastic as it is in "Small Steps". I should mention that this book is just 90 pages long and can be r ...more
Devon
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Not as good as Holes, of course, but it's pretty damn good. The Survival Guide is very short. I read it in about a half hour. But...my copy was only $5. So it's totally worth it. In fact, I already own it...but I can't find it so I bought it again today. I have this thing with nostalgia. Anyway...So, yeah. It's wonderful. At the end there is back story on each and every character we've come to know and love throughout the Holes extravaganza. There are cute little quizzes throughout and lots of l ...more
Danielle
As indicated by the "1.5," this is a filler book that just adds on to the original work. It acts as a "survival guide" for anyone going to the camp, and we learn a little bit more about the characters and what happened in Holes. I actually think I might have read this before - I remember the end bit where Stanley and X-Ray talk after getting out. It's nice for people who want more material from the series, but that's it.
Elaine
Dec 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
What the... Shows what elementary school librarians know about my preferences. *shrug* I mean, I read encyclopedias, but this isn't even real. (Before I start accidentally elbowing Louis Sachar out of the business, let me just state that I think things are either fiction or not-fiction, and anything that assumes to the contrary - "nonfiction" books about psi-phenomenae, perhaps, or encyclopedias of false worlds - is in for criticism. The author's fine. I have a grudge against the format, is all. ...more
Amber the Human
Well, if you just read Holes and you really don't want to leave that world, but you're not yet ready to read the sequel (sort of sequel), this is the book for you. If you haven't read Holes, then this book will make no sense at all to you. If it's been a couple of years since you read Holes (like me) this book will still confuse you, because it focuses on a lot of details you may not remember.
Alison
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Stanley Yelnats' Survival Guide to Camp Green Lake I enjoyed this short companion book to Holes. It's like a bunch of deleted scenes from the novel: things that don't quite fit into the original book but are still fun to see. Add in there a few flashes of characters' futures and this book is not a bad way to spend an hour.
Kimberly
A very quick read that should only be read if you've read Holes. This book has a few new stories about the characters from Holes but is mostly a fun little extra to that book. I think children reading this series would enjoy this book, I give it 2 1/2 stars for me.
Mary Bronson
I picked this book up in middle school shortly after reading Holes for class. Just like Holes I enjoyed this book. It was a fun informational book about how to actually survive Camp Green Lake if you got sent there. Also it tells about what some of the other characters were doing.
Katie
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: es-chapter-books
I LOVED Holes and the follow up to Holes but didn't enjoy this book at all. Thank Goodness it was a very quick read but I wouldn't recommend it at all. Knowing that the camp shut down after Holes it didn't make much sense to have a new book in the series.
April
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY! I loved Holes, and when I found this I couldn't stop smiling. I loved the part about the tent doors. For a second I thought" THERE ARE NO DOORS ON A TENT!" But then I started to understand the concept that they didn't tell on anyone that did something that wasn't exactly kind.
Sara
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, survival
I read a combined version of this and the first book, so I will always count it as part of the first book.

• Who Will Tell My Brother?
  • Dark Sons
  • Still More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • Guinness World Records 2007 [With Trading Cards]
  • Stranded
  • Tell Me Why
  • Boogers for Lunch: A Sight Word Book (Billy Bad)
  • Beanball
  • Crime Files: Four-Minute Forensic Mysteries: Body of Evidence
  • Guinness World Records 2006
  • It's a Catastrophe
  • Splintering
  • The Story of Helen Keller
  • Trial by Journal
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Black Watch
  • Harry Sue
  • Harlem
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

Louis was born in East Meadow, New York, in 1954. When he was nine, he moved to Tustin, California. He went to college at the University of California at Berkeley and graduated in 1976, as an economics major. The next year, he wrote his first book, Sideways Stories from Wayside School .

He was working

Holes (2 books)
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • Small Steps (Holes, #2)
“But don't forget who you really are. And I'm not talking about your so-called real name. All names are made up by someone else, even the one your parents gave you. You know who you really are. When you're alone at night, looking up at the stars, or maybe lying in your bed in total darkness, you know that nameless person inside you...Your muscles will toughen. So will your heart and soul. That's necessary for survival. But don't lose touch with that person deep inside you, or else you won't really have survived at all.” 76 likes
“You can't let anybody else tell you what your choices are. Sometimes they won't give you the right choice.” 27 likes