Start by marking “Dogs and Goddesses” as Want to Read:
Dogs and Goddesses

Dogs and Goddesses

Abby has just arrived in Summerville, Ohio, with her placid Newfoundland, Bowser. She’s reluctantly inherited her grandmother’s coffee shop, but it’s not long before she’s brewing up trouble in the form of magical baked goods and steaming up her life with an exasperating college professor.

And then there’s Daisy, a web code writer, and her hyperactive Jack Russell, Bailey.

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published February 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Dogs and Goddesses, please sign up.
Michelle Cristiani I'm pretty sure that was Jennifer Crusie - on the back of my book it gives blurbs of each character, and then praise about one author at a time, and…moreI'm pretty sure that was Jennifer Crusie - on the back of my book it gives blurbs of each character, and then praise about one author at a time, and that's the order mine was in.(less)

Tammy
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Snaps to the authors for including a 48-year-old heroine!

Great book. Classic Crusie dialogue. Excellent sexual tension. This book is very funny with a unique plot. A Mesopotamian goddess who has been "asleep" for thousands of years re-appears on a college campus in Ohio and tries to convert followers through a goddess dog training class.

It was a little hard to keep the characters straight at first. (Three talking dogs with three heroines, three heros ((one who is a god))and a creepy villian equ
Miriam
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dogs
Shelves: fantasy
Dogs. Magic. Cookies. Coffee. Mythology. All things I love.

And yet this book, I did not love it. If it had not had Crusie's name on the cover I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. The plot was incoherent, the characters flat, the mythology undeveloped, and the romance unbelievable. I felt like the pairings occurred because of the magic and will go poof as soon as the Tonic and lust cookies wear off. Well, maybe Shar and Sam can build a relationship based on their mutual love of dogs and 80s fi
Cyndi
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to give this book 5 stars. Although it starts out slow and takes a while to get the story off the ground, it gets really good by the end.
At first I had trouble connecting with the heroines, not the dogs, they were great! But the humans gave me pause a few times.
Our heroines consist of three women who seem to be unlikely choices for goddesses at first. But their true strengths show up along with the strength of women having each others backs.
This book had a few truly wonderful points
Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
I quite enjoyed "Dogs and Goddesses" as a fun read. Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, and Lani Diane Rich wrote this story together and I was impressed at how well it flowed. It's got humor, hot sex, a nasty goddess, talking dogs, and three very different heroines. Once the story got going, it proved hard to put down.

The basic plot is an ancient Mesopotamian goddess is accidentally called back to life. She uses her magic to find the ancestors of her handmaidens and begins her plot to...wait for it.
Jim
I got a little over halfway through & if the book had been that length, I'd probably have liked it. It's going on & on with a lot of chick stuff, though. Gals that want to read about how gorgeous guys are or how to orgasm from color overload might get a kick out of it. I'm guy - T&A please. So not the book's fault. This isn't unusual for Crusie's stuff, just way longer & more of it than in the other 2 books I read. Agnes and the Hitman may have given me a false idea of her normal ...more
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Oh, Jenny Crusie, no!

I couldn't finish this one. I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't get around the ridiculousness of the premise, and I really love fantasy novels so I'm no stranger to ridiculous premises.

(I mean, hell, my favorite moment in the Dresden Files is Harry tear-assing his way around Chicago on the back of a recently revived T-Rex. Tell me that's not ridiculous.)

The other thing I had problem with was the way the individual writers' voices failed to blend in a way that isn't ja
Theryn Fleming
May 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
I can't tell the protagonists apart. I can't tell the love interests apart. I can't tell the secondary characters apart. These characters aren't cardboard; they're paper. Paper dolls with interchangeable outfits. (One character is named "Bun." There's no shortage of smart remarks in this book, but no one comments on this. Bun. Seriously.)

We're supposed to believe that these three sets of characters are in love. We know this because they keep saying "I love you/him/her!" Their love is instigated
The story of three modern day women who find out quite suddenly that they are demi-goddesses and servents of the Goddess Kammani - and the men that they fall in love with along the way. :)

I liked the book - but honestly I confused Abbey and Daisy all the time - which made me have a hard time keeping there men straight. Maybe this is why I liked Shar so much. She was distinguishable!
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
It took me longer than a week to get through this. Granted, I had some other things going on, but I don't remember the last time I took so long to read something.

At times funny and at times choppy. I liked some of the characters and disliked others. Some of the dialog was believable and some just fodder for groans. I guess that is what happens when you have three authors working on the same storyline.

As the story goes, in 1929, an archeologist dug up a Mesopotamian temple and woke up the seven
Kath
Sep 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
I will just chalk this one up to being a bad collaboration between the authors. I love Jennifer Crusie's books as they are usually lots of fun and a bit quirky (in a good way), but this one was way out there. One I could not finish as it was just too weird to follow.

It was an okay premise to bring all the people together because of their dogs (dogs are a trademark Crusie thing), but when they got into the whole goddess thing, I couldn't follow the logic and it was just too odd to stay with it.
Lightreads
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Picked entirely at random out of the selection of available Crusie audio because I needed some soothing book white noise. I was like, "I bet this is a nice modern romance," innocently oblivious of the jacket summary. And it turns out? Actually this is three modern romances, punctuated with a cheerfully batshit plot featuring talking dogs and a lot of unintentionally hilarious sex in which, e.g., a woman yells "I am a goddess!" while coming. To be fair, she was an actual goddess. Didn't make it l ...more
Ana
Nov 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished-books
I couldn't finish this. There was potential escapist fun in the relationship between the three main characters but the vengeful goddess plotline was so ludicrous and unnecessary that I just lost momentum.
Heather
Oct 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
If you're going to make up a god, why would you name him Samu? Which is so much like Shamu. He's supposed to be hot stuff, but all I could picture was a killer whale.

And why would you call the magic potion, goddess-power-enhancing-drink, "tonic?" That's like what Aunt Bea gives Opie. The last real life person who took a tonic probably died one hundred years ago. And why would three intelligent women in this skeptical, drug-aware age drink vast quantities of some unidentifiable liquid, called a "
Tracy
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, fantasy
I laughed. Out loud. Often.

I'm sure the book is humorous in print, but as an audiobook it was a hoot. Narrator Renée Raudman's presentation of the characters added immensely to my enjoyment of the book.

The writing was fine. There were a couple of places that it was a bit choppy, but nothing was memorably jarring. I don't know any of the co-authors well enough to know when one stopped and another began, and it wasn't obvious that there were three authors.

There's some graphic(ish) sex, but if that
Jenny
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Dana
Feb 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm a huge Jennifer Crusie fan...mainly because she is hilarious. This book was a disappointment to me. Definitely my least favorite of her books (Keep in mind that this was a joint effort between Crusie, Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich, so Crusie doesn't have to carry the complete weight of the blame. It's just that I'm not familiar with the other authors' work and I expect better from Crusie).

I didn't care for the storyline of this book. It was weird and hard to connect with. I love paranormal
Cindy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
This one goes on the keeper shelf. It is a novel written by three authors - not three separate stories with the same characters as is more usual. And it works. It combines widely disparate elements: a resurrected goddess who digs smiting the populace, misspelled googling, talking dogs and the bonding of best friends - all while trying to save the world and connecting with the guys of their dreams. It was a trip.
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this in two days. I love all of Jennifer Crusie's stuff. The writing is great. It's goofy and funny and makes you feel good. I highly recommend all her work.
The Bookshelf Wars
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

A wonderful story about powerful women and their faithful pets. Not recommended for cat people.
Donna Craig
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to say this book was silly and superficial. I want to say it was TOO light reading. I want to say the sex was overdone. That I can't stand hearing people talk to their dogs. But I can't lie. I was so into this story! I couldn't put the book down. I loved every second of it. I bribed myself to do all sorts of chores for the promise of the next chapter. Read it for fun. That's a great reason to read a book.
drey
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, chick-lit
Dogs and Goddesses is an entertaining story of three women who find themselves poised to save the world. How, you ask? They don't know...

The story starts with Abby moving into town with her dog, a Newfoundland. She's there to check in on her inheritance, left by her grandmother. As soon as she rolls into town, she's waylaid by an exasperating college professor who demands that she fulfill her grandmother's contract to bake cookies for his math department reception. Daisy is a web programmer with
Jaime
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This was fun, but don’t start looking at it too closely. One of the things the authors did do right was manage a consistent voice, which couldn’t have been easy with three of them writing it. The different women do have their own sub-voice, but overall the tone was very consistent. Also, the dog sidekicks were rather entertaining, and it wasn’t particularly difficult to tell the difference between them.

The part that doesn’t really hold together is the mythology, from the overall goal of the anci
Carolyn F.
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay, first I thought this was an anthology. Nope, 3 authors wrote different parts of the book but I'm not familiar enough with them to figure out who wrote which part. Secondly, I'm very close to being over any stories with goddesses or gods, but surprisingly this book was pretty good. My favorite parts are what the dogs say. Third, I wanted to keep reading this book to the point where I put down an Eileen Wilks to finish it. Eileen Wilks is one of my top favorite authors. So well worth the rea ...more
Linda
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll start by saying this book would have fallen into the 3 star rating, but I feel at this time, it deserves 4 stars.
I was looking for levity in a book and found it with this one. Talking dogs, gods and goddesses in Ohio and a little bit of everything else. There were some pretty clever cliches, humorous language and definitely some very sexy, ahem, parts.

Not my typical read, but I really did enjoy it.
MB (What she read)
Lots of fun! I enjoyed this book--especially the color orgasms. It's actually a 3.5 star for me. (The very best part was the paragraph in the middle of page 207.) This was a much better read (in flow and coherence) than "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes".

Reread 11/7/15: This book didn't work so well for me on the reread. Full points for creativity, but a definite slog in the middle. I did enjoy Sam, but villains were...silly.
Denise
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highly-recommend
I laughed all of the way through!! I loved the characters, the plot, I enjoyed the way the authors let the reader know both what the characters were saying AND thinking! I loved discovering the different powers with the characters, as they discovered them, along with their personalities & emotions. I could visualize what the story was saying & where it was going as it was going there.

Jennavier
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Sometimes this was good but mostly it was 'meh'. I didn't even love the Crusie parts too much. By the end it had picked up and I enjoyed it but there was a lot of slogging to get there. I can tell you strait up that I'll never read an Ann Stuart book. Her heroine is crazy boring, and I felt the same way about her part in the other group book they wrote.
Mindy
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Thank goddess it made me laugh in parts, and I think that I listened to it on Audio book helped also.
Emily
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun, crazy read that mixes up the lives of a bunch of strangers and dogs and their love lives. The dogs have such great personalities that they almost over shadow the humans!
Sheila
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun, fluffy--a perfect airline read.

• The Comeback Kiss
  • Cupid Cats (Dark Ones #7.5)
  • Christmas Getaway: An Anthology
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • The Naughty List
  • The Nerd Who Loved Me (Nerds, #2)
  • A Very Merry Christmas
  • Bad Boys Down Under
  • Step on it, Cupid
  • MacGowan's Ghost
  • Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Dog Walkers, #1)
  • Trashed
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
“And why do you want to be near me?"
Because you're all I can think about, day and night. I don't know what the hell is going on with us; I only know I can't get rid of it. I don't care if you're batshit insane and think you're the reincarnation of Cleopatra. I hear voices; you hear dogs. We'll work it out. Maybe get a discount on therapy.”
30 likes