Start by marking “Close to the Wind: The Beaufort Scale” as Want to Read:
Close to the Wind: The Beaufort Scale

Close to the Wind: The Beaufort Scale

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In 1810, a British naval officer and surveyor named Francis Beaufort developed a scale to give sailors a common language for describing the wind. From 0 (calm) to 12 (hurricane), stunning artwork and jaunty prose show what life at sea must have been like for a young boy serving as a midshipman in the 1800s. As William sails from Naples to the Caribbean, we learn intriguing ...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Close to the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to the Wind

Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and very informative text.
Linda
I cannot praise this book enough. It is really a treasure, filled with a fictional diary entries from a midshipman's point of view as the reader learns about the Beaufort's Wind Scale, created by British Naval Officer, Francis Beaufort in 1810. Before then, there was no scientific way for sailors to describe the winds encountered. I've been on two sailing trips with students, a three-masted tall ship and a two-masted schooner, and they were thrilling trips. We studied every part of the ships th ...more
Danielle Butler
I like how this book is set up as a journal. It seems to make it more enjoyable to read because it helps the reader feel as if they are on the boats and experiencing the journey. This would be a great book to use if talking about travel. The book is very informative about how sailing is done. However, it seems to be very wordy. I think this book would be best to use with children in fourth-sixth grade. The illustrations in this book help show the detail of the ships which is very helpful when ta ...more
Kate Hastings
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-and-science
--grades 4-6
--Beaufort scale began as journal entries of a British Naval captain. After observing for five years, he developed a scale based on qualitative conditions. This scale was eventually adopted by the Royal Navy.
--different from the Saffir-Simpson scale, which uses actual quantitative wind speeds.
--Great way to link History with Science and how methods change with the introduction of new technologies.
Margaret
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a kid book, but shows students how the wind is measured in knots. Ideal for 9th grade science.

Common core tie--Reading standards for Literacy in Science and Technical. # 9 grades 9-10.
“Compare and Contrast findings presented in a text to those from other sources (including experiments, noting when the findings support or contradict previous explanations.
Rosie Harris
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction book talks about what it was like to be a sailor in the early 1800s. It is written in a series of letters to a woman named Lizzie and includes a great deal of information about how sailing was done at that time. I would use this book in my classroom to talk about explorers and how they traveled.
Brittany Lee
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Genre- Non Fiction
Awards-none
Grade Level- 5-6

This book would be a great book to incorporate non fiction in you classroom. The students would immediately enjoy this book just based on the pictures. A great follow up activity would be to create a class "we do" non fiction paragraph then allow the students to create their own non fiction paragraph to share with the class.
Denise Choate
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
2007 Historical fiction: this sotry is of how the Beaufort Scale was invented by Sir Francis Beaufort who was alive in 1774-1857. I loved how this book was written in the form of a journal of being on a ship with the needs of a scale in order to measure the wind and its compasity. I found this book interesting and informative. The pictures were life like, yet freindly and welcoming.
Julie
Mitten Award Contender 2007
A fascinating look at the maritime world. Interesting format - each page a different level of the scale with corresponding pictures illustrating some of the characteristics of that level of wind.
Carol
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Ever since I went sea kayaking in Baja, and got caught in 5' waves, I have been interested in the Beaufort scale. Here is a nice photographic display.
Dustin
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I enjoyed the book. I'm not sure that my children are ready for it.
Rani
Historical fiction explains the creation of Beaufort scale.
Nikki
IL: LG
BL: 6.8

This would be another book to use with weather in the classroom. This is a story of the development of a scale to describe the wind for sailors.
Amy
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very educational. The illustrations are awesome!
Natasha Carr
Nov 14, 2015
Kristin
Jun 10, 2015
Laurie
rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2007