Start by marking “Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)

Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  4,563 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy)
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Berkley (first published January 27th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Irish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Irish

Tea Jovanović
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Odličan serijal popularnog američkog autora... Kod nas je prevedena samo jedna njegova knjiga... upravo ova "Irska smrt"... Da li zato što se radnja dešava u mom omiljenom američkom gradu, San Francisku, da li zbog žanra i likova... kako god, odličan pisac, našim čitaocima uglavnom nepoznat... Ako volite Grišama, Patersona dopašće vam se i ovaj pisac... Nadam se... :)
Paul O'Neill
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid story, great characters with a twist I didn't see coming. This is a classic 'whodunnit' book featuring an ex cop/ex lawyer/ex marine/current bartender with a tragic back story. All too often these type of books only focus on the police work and don't focus on the personality and background of the characters. That isn't the case with Dead Irish. I'd liken it to Michael Connollys excellent Harry Bosch series in that regard.
Cathy DuPont
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, I’m happy…a new writer for me whose writing I really enjoy, John T. Lescroart.

This is the first in the series of many books with the introduction of Dismas Hardy. Dismas ‘Diz’ Hardy, ex-copy, ex-lawyer, and ex-husband is presently a bartender. A thirty something guy who is trying to find himself and hold it steady in the face of past tragedies.

I’ve always enjoyed characters who aren’t perfect, who have flaws and Diz has one or two. The main one is his inability to face life head on. He’s
Lynn
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars because of a slow start.....with a great finish. It seemed to take a long time for me to get oriented amongst all the players in this mystery. Two-thirds through, I couldn't put it down. I'm hoping many characters introduced will reappear in later books in the series. Dismas is an appealing and complex protagonist.
Leon Aldrich
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read one in this series out of order (I won't admit to which one). It was a solid read, enough where I picked up both Dead Irish and The Vig, where they've been sitting on my shelves collecting dust. I make lapses in judgement like that all the time. Putting off reading a great author for no sensible reason.

I'm breaking out The Vig next.
Tammy Walton Grant
John Lescroart's legal thrillers were an auto-buy for me in the mid 90s. I loved Dismas Hardy: the disillusioned, beat cop-cum-prosecutor-cum-bartender and his black cast-iron frying pan, his best friend Abe Glitsky and his world in San Francisco. Lescroart never disappointed and I looked forward to every release.

Then I had babies and quit reading anything that didn't start with the words "What to Expect...".

So recently, while trolling on GR (because really, isn't that what we all spend our fre
Matt Garcia
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid mystery in this one. It was intriguing and a bit unconventional although I did guess the twist about halfway through (please hold your applause lol.) This aspect and the plot in itself carried the book for me and made me look past the negatives that I thought the book had.

Lescroart focuses more on the detective footwork than the legal aspect and it gives us a peek into the life of a private eye (even though Dismas Hardy technically isn't one.) It takes a long time to gather evidence and c
Gina
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hmm... not a bad book! Where shall I begin...

As I was doing a search for new releases for January, I came across Suspect by John Lescroart. It sounded really good, so I checked up on it, wanting to make sure that it wasn't part of a series. Sure enough, Suspect was a stand-alone novel, but I came across this one as well. It's the first in the series, and a few reviews postes, especially the one that I found helpful, had me wondering if I should give this one a shot. See, the person stated that,
Tim Titolo
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
I am starting a series of books by John Lescroart. Since the author is supposed to be a legal thriller writer I though it was worth the effort. The first is Dead Irish which, from what I can tell, is the first with characters Dismas Hardy - a cop turned lawyer turned bar tender (amen!) and Abe Glitsky - cop.

These characters seemed to pop up every time I tried to read Lescroart (though I never finished his books) and so I thought I would go back to the beginning.

Dead Irish was not very action pac
Mal Warwick
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
San Francisco bartender Dismas Hardy was briefly a patrol officer in the SFPD while he worked toward a law degree. He left the law shortly after the death of an infant son and divorce from his wife. But when his boss and best friend learns that his popular brother-in-law has mysteriously died, Dismas can’t resist the urge to investigate. The SFPD believes the man committed suicide. Dismas believes otherwise, and he sets out to find the truth.

The joy of San Francisco noir

To access police resource
Jen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Dismas Hardy is a former cop/former attorney-turned bartender. And he's quite content in this role as bartender at the Little Shamrock; it leaves him time to compete at darts. But, when Eddie Cochran, his boss's brother-in-law, apparently commits suicide and leaves his pregnant wife with no insurance money, Diz is pulled into the investigation.

For the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As far as character names go...Dismas is pretty darn cool. Right up there with Elvis! And the characte
Francois Arsenault
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
I'm told the Dismas Hardy books become a lot better but this first one is a absolute mess.

Lescroart's prose attempts a Wodehouse-like approach to giving out information in an obtuse way. Instead of laughter, though, his mostly breeds confusion. Add to that the constantly shifting points of view that seem to be completly arbitrary and you get a book that lacks a great deal of focus. The main character is likeable enough but appears in little over half the books. New characters and viewpoints are
Hope
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Too many POVs, too little suspense/motive. Does the reader figure out who the killer was as the MC uncovers the clues? Nope- the author just decides to spill the beans with 100 pages to go by suddenly jumping to the killer's POV. So much for the big reveal, huh? At least the writing itself wasn't bad- I was interested enough to keep reading, and I sort of felt sympathy for the characters when I was in their POV. Thus, 2 stars- it was okay, but I'm not inclined to read any more in the series or a ...more
Asghar Abbas
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it

A very solid debut of a very human hero who is more than likable; he is actually believable. Lescroart is spot on about one thing, which I agree with very much. If they made a movie out of this series, and they should, Dennis Quaid would make a perfect Dismas Hardy.
Mark
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The usual good stuff from Lescroat...having read a number of his San Francisco series, I decided to go back to the 1st Dismas Hardy...aside from his anti-Catholicism, I generally enjoy his reads...the usual characters emerge in this tale of Hardy trying to, prove a suicide is really a murder...enjoyable with qualification!
Armin Hennig
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pks-justiz
Erste Gehversuche mit bezeichnenden Schwächen

Aller Anfang ist schwer, aber dass sich der erste Teil der Glitzky-Hardy-Saga als derart schwer verdaulicher Brocken erweisen würde, hat mich schon überrascht, dabei dachte ich, dass ich mit dem »Vertratuen« schon den Tiefstpunkt durchmessen hätte.

Eines vorweg, die Aufklärung des Mords an Eddie Cochran war nicht das Motiv, mir diesen Erstling bis zum bitteren Ende reinzuziehen, zumal es jemand unbemerkt geschafft hat einen Spoiler in die Krimi-Couch-K
Ms.pegasus
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a character-driven mystery series
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: James Thane of Goodreads
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Dismas Hardy, 34, ex-spouse, ex-marine, ex-cop, ex-attorney – those are his bare stats. We quickly learn more. His attachment to a well-cared for cast iron skillet in his kitchen, or the undemanding banter with the patrons of the Little Shamrock bar reflect a studied emotional withdrawal. He used to help his friend Pico attempt to rehabilitate traumatized sharks. They'd walk with the animals, attempting to restore normalized breathing by passing the water across the sharks' gills. None of the sh ...more
Mj
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is the first in the Dismas Hardy series - about an Irish bartender, former police officer and lawyer. A Goodreads member highly recommended John Lescroart as legal thriller author and because my partner has pretty much read all of John Grisham's books, I was looking for a replacement. The Lescroart recommendation was very strong and the main character of this series sounded intriguing so I decided to give it a try and start at the beginning.

Initially this book didn't really grab me. It
Jim
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No I didn't guess the murderer until the very end ! A solid and very entertaining read, "Dead Irish" by John Lescroart delivered in the clutch. Having never read anything from Lescroart before I finally listened to my mother who's been telling me for years to start reading. "Dead Irish" is the first in a series with the protagonist Dismas Hardy. Hardy who is a part time bar tender, and part time darts hustler with a checkered past. Previously a cop and a lawyer, Hardy threw it all away disillusi ...more
Sharon
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
This was my introduction to Dismas Hardy; ex-marine, ex-lawyer, ex-cop, ex-husband, ex-Catholic, newly minted bartender, darts afficionado and all around pretty nice guy. It's clear he's made some life choices for a very personal reason but no clue as to what that is, early on.

Dismas is working for Moses McGuire in the tavern and when Eddie Cochrane shows up dead, seemingly a suicide, Moses asks him to investigate for his sister-in-law. Gradually Dismas starts to come out of his self-imposed pr
Julie
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really good one! Lots of suspense toward the end in a race to save the next victim. Nice to see where the characters got their origins. You will no doubt pick up a slip that gives you a huge clue who the murderer is, but don't dispair, because I believe it is intended for you realize. Although you want to scream at the detectives and Dismas for not picking up on it sooner. It doesn't diminish the suspense.
Christine
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This started out slow but it was laying the foundation for a very exciting finish to the book. I loved the setting, San Francisco. Dismas Hardy is a very interesting character and I think I would like to get to know him better. There are more books to the series and it seems that this may be the type that you can pick up from time to time and enjoy.
Joe
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Really enjoyed this 1st in the Dismas Hardy series, agree with other comments re this book doing a very good job of getting to know principal characters, I like the authors style and will be checking out the other books in the series..
D.K.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The mystery in this story was kind of predictable, but Dead Irish had more to offer than the mystery itself. John Lescroart brings the reader into the characters lives, making you feel for each one.
Mary
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, but hard to get into
William
okay, but not overly impressed. I'll read the next. Since I live in the SF Bay Area, the settings are familiar.
Leah (packfan20)
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
Too many characters and too many ridiculous story lines that didn't matter. If I hadn't read some of the later books in this series out of order, I wouldn't read anymore.
Steph (loves water)
Sigh. Must be me. Maybe Lescroart was the first to do it, but I'm sick to death of drunken Irish ex-cops. Three stars, though. I've read worse.
Stacey
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I am honestly kinda bummed. I was really hoping to love the character of Dismas and he just fell short. Unfortunately, not a series I will continue.
S
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first Dismas Hardy book. great!
  • The Immaculate Deception (Jonathan Argyll, #7)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
  • Capitol Murder (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • The Blue Hour (Merci Rayborn, #1)
  • Gone, But Not Forgotten
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • On Borrowed Time
  • Dark Harbor (Scott Finn #1)
  • The Takeover
  • Dead Even
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

“What was so tough, you had to get all worked up over them? He didn’t get it. You just did your job, you were faithful to your wife, you stuck by your friends. That was it.” 0 likes