Start by marking “Second Draft of My Life” as Want to Read:
Second Draft of My Life

Second Draft of My Life

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Forty-two years and five books into her life, Charlotte Dearborn abandons her noncommittal boyfriend and her sinking-ship writing career, and becomes an elementary school teacher. Sure, she's giving up her dream of being a famous novelist, but in exchange she'll find a stable income, job satisfaction, and maybe even love. At least that's how it'd work if she were a charact ...more
Published April 8th 2003 by Washington Square Press (first published April 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Second Draft of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Draft of My Life

Stina
Oct 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
This book was so incredibly stupid that I can't even stand it. The main character is a snatch and no one, even her twin sister, would actually like her.

The author tried to be crafty by tying writing tips into the book, but this book was so shitty that it was the literary equivalent of a B movie, except it sucked more and wasn't campy and the author kept inserting stuff into it to try to legitimize the whole damn thing and OH MY GOD, it's terrible.

Also, this book was written in 2002 about a woman
Jessica Thomas
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
This was generic and the main character was annoying. The descriptions of her outfits were horrendous!! The ending was abrupt and unbelievable. Luckily, it was a quick, easy read so I didn't waste too much time on it.
Debbie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, just-ok
Read it on a trip. Mindless reading, dumb story, but light enough to be a bit enjoyable.
Cindy
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Although this book was not filled with excitement or mystery, I found it to be a very pleasant and easy read. I was surprised at how easily I flew through it. It was not boring but rather real and honest. It made me laugh and smile a lot. It shows that change isn't always what we expect it to be especially when it's a change we choose to make with rose colored glasses on. The character of Charlotte is likeable and very human with her idyllic hopes. In the end life is unpredictable, unexpected at ...more
Becky
Nov 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Ok... this is really bad, I will usually give a book until about page 50 before abandoning it, but I could only make it to page 16 before slamming it shut and declaring it a worthless pile.

So the narrator character quits her 'career' as a writer and breaks up with her boyfriend abruptly (basically in the same day), and there seems to be no realistic emotions afterward.

The Point of No Return is when the narrator, only right after leaving her boyfriend after 4 years, starts telling her twin sist
Khin Hnin
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: elementary school teachers
It was an alright book for me. No suspense or anything; it was as if reading someone else's journal/diary. It was still enjoyable and I like how the romance was unpredictable. I couldn't guess whom she would end up with or remain single until near the ending. She turned her life around somewhat, but it only happened realllyyy near the ending and I feel like I didn't get to enjoy her new self enough. It was somewhat inspirational and it kept me thinking about it for awhile.

One thing that annoyed
EJ
Jan 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dissapointed
I never learn..Time and time again I go bargin bin shopping. Hoping that perhaps I will find a gem in the pile of rubbish. I never do and yet I keep going back.

This book was one of my many bad purchases. It is about an author who is changing her career from writing to teaching simply because her writing career never took off. Hmmm autobiographical? I think so.

I tried to convince myself to give the author a chance before judging. But after page 12 when a phone conversation ended in "...ok always
Mbrooke
Mar 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
I found the main character to be annoying on so many levels, noteably her naivety and social awkwardness. It was hard to believe she was supposed to be someone in her mid-40s. The most unbelievable thing for me was she just ups and quits her job, decides to be a teacher (because, hey why not?) and then lands a job immediately. The ending was abrupt, it felt like the author just wanted to be finished with the book and just ended it. Essentially, the story was bland, boring and lacked any substanc ...more
Amy
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book seemed to start off a little bit slow for me. Once I hit about halfway through the plot was more interesting. As a teacher I seemed to relate in many ways to the character. It was great to see the similarities. Finally, I usually end up disappointed with endings of books, but was pleasantly suprised with the turn of events.
Usha
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
seemed fine while I was reading it (it was quite a quick read) but I felt sickly after finishing it. absolutely no character progression (Charlotte goes from 0-100 real quick), and honestly she's kind of unlikable and the descriptions of her almost arise pity in the reader.. ending was okay but everything happened too fast
Melissa
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the premise of a writer recreating herself through her writing. A very fresh and original idea. Lewis' writing style is gorgeous - streamlined, clean and spare - and her stories are always engaging, with tons of heart. My favorite author!
Lisa
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a 3 compared to all books but a 4 for its genre (not quite chick lit but definitely not serious literature). Might be especially interesting for anyone who is or wants to be a novelist or a teacher (it's about a woman making a career transition from the former to the latter).
Isaw
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
oh dear, i am glad i did not come here for the revues, i found this book in my local library, read a few pages, though this will do, i found it uplifting very funny and it made me cry, what more could you want.... PS I don't know the author,not related or work for the publisher etc.
Abby
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: generalfiction
I picked this up of the library shelf because the premise of a writer who gives up writing to become a 1st grade teacher sounded intriguing.

I was very disapointed by how teachers were shown in the book and the ending was abrupt and unbelieveale. Not worth your time.
Anika
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was sooooo different from The Answer is Yes. As a former teacher, I liked it, but it didn't have the charm of the other one.
UPDATE - I just re-read this book and enjoyed it more the second time around. It's a sweet, sweet story with a fallible and lovable heroine.
Christine
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A cute story about a struggling novelist who gives up on her writing career to teach first grade in a Southern California town. Not fine literature but a quick, fun read.
Kerry
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in the main character of this book. I just didn't find her very likable. I was also frustrated by the generalizations made about teaching and teachers.
Julia
Quick read. Fun read. Rushed ending that was a bit too "magical" for my taste.

If the author was ever a teacher, her experiences were none like I've ever heard.
Denise
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great summer read for teachers..true to life descriptions of classroom life.
Kat Taylor
This was very time appropriate for me as I change my work direction.
Dalene
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an OK beach read. A little too trite for me.
T.
Oct 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
Forgettable.
CR
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
If you don't mind bad endings, this book is recommendable. This book was okay until that point.
Lori
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
liked her writing, will search out her other books
Janet Fiorentino
Jun 30, 2017
Marika
Sep 29, 2012
Melissa West
rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Beyond Molasses Creek
  • The Mommy Club
  • Girls of Summer (Shelter Rock Cove, #2)
  • The Trophy Wife
  • Dating DaVinci
  • The Power of Their Ideas: Lessons from America from a Small School in Harlem
  • The Ex-Wife's Survival Guide
  • The Story of Jane
  • When Rain Falls (Victory Gospel Series, #1)
Sara Lewis is the author of five novels, "The Best of Good", "Second Draft of My Life", "The Answer Is Yes", "But I Love You Anyway", and "Heart Conditions", as well as the collection "Trying to Smile and Other Stories". Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, McCall's, Redbook, Mademoiselle, Seventeen, Good Housekeeping" and other magazines as well as on National Public Radio. She lives in San D ...more
More about Sara Lewis