Start by marking “A Drop of the Sea” as Want to Read:
A Drop of the Sea

A Drop of the Sea

Ali lives with his great-grandmother in a tiny clay house at the edge of the desert. Just her and him. Just him and her. They don't need anything more to be happy. But lately, Ali has begun to notice how his great-grandmother has aged. And one day, he asks if her life's dreams have come true. All except one, she tells him. She had a dream to see the sea, but now she is too ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about A Drop of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Drop of the Sea

Jane
In A Drop of the Sea, Ali makes a long journey to bring back a bit of the sea to his great-grandmother who had never fulfilled her longtime dream of making the trip to see the sea. I was really looking forward to the illustrations in this one based on the image on the cover -- that lined paper worked into the setting seems like a fun spin on the typical picture-book illustration.

Unfortunately, while I did enjoy the story, most of the pictures left me a bit cold. The people were stylized just a
The Reading Countess
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook, picture-books
This isn’t a showstopper of a story. You won’t see fireworks and shootouts on the street. No, this is better. This tale is a quiet whisper in your ear reminding you that we are all connected in this world: intergenerationally, globally, culturally...A Drop of the Sea is what we need to read at the beginning of the year to set the tone for how we treat one another in class. We need to return to it again, and often, as an accompanying read for A Long Walk to Water, though the trips to retrieve wat ...more
Seher Andaç
Bir hayalimi torunum için saklayacağım! Sonra ufka bakacağız birlikte:)
This almost folktale like story is a sweet concept, but it should not be read as anything but that. No way would a child walk three days in the desert to being a bucket of sea water to his grandmother.

But, once it as read as simply a folk tale, it is sweet, and not child abuse, or anything unusual to see here.

The concept is that the grandmother is too old to walk to the sea, which is three days away. So the young boy, goes off to bring her a pale of sea water. But it was so hot, that most of it
Kevin Summers
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sample quote: "With a pail in hand and a pack full of dates and water, Ali sets off without looking back."
Jason
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story of a beautiful relationship between and grandmother and her grandson, who notices her body failing and wants to give her one last gift. Especially moving is the grandmother's reaction when she receives the gift, which is not quite what the boy set out for. I want to be like her in her ability to see something large and meaningful in something so small and disappointing.
Etienne
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
No... nothing here for me. Yes there is a a sentimental message in it, but we lost it in the story and I never really care. The illustration have a unique style which is good, but that style didn't please me, really not, and I think it may have been an important point of me disliking this book. Sorry...
Jeanie  {coffee girl}
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What would you do to make someone's dream come true? Ali would do anything for his great-grandmother. One day Ali realizes that his great-grandmother is getting older and she will not be around forever, so he asks her if all of her dreams have been met in her life. She replies all except one; she has never been to the sea.

This picture book reminded me of my grandmother, living in Illinois all of her life; she never was able to see the ocean nor the mountains. When she died, I was saddened that
Storywraps
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ali lives with his great-grandmother in a tiny clay house at the edge of the desert. Just her and him. Just him and her. Together they are happy but Ali can't help noticing that his beloved great grandmother's health is deteriorating and how much older she looks.

One day just out of the blue he asks her a question that she takes a little while to answer. He wants to know if all of her life's dreams have been fulfilled. She has to reflect back on her life and when is satisfied she answers... yes,
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
A Drop of the Sea by Ingrid Chabbert, illustrated by Guridi. PICTURE BOOK. Kids Can Press, 2018. $17. 9781525301247

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ESSENTIAL.

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Illustrated in a sparse color scheme, this is the story of Ali and his grandma who live in the desert. Ali’s grandma is getting older and having a hard time walking, and as they are talking, Ali learns that his grandma has lived a wonderful life but she has one unfulfilled dream to see the sea. This sets Ali out on a
John Clark
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ali lives at the edge of the desert. He's very close to his great grandmother. At night, they often sit together on the roof of their tiny house and admire the endless starry night. Ali's noticed that her breathing is becoming labored and that makes him realize she's very old and won't live forever. When he asks her if there's something she's always wanted to do, but never got the chance, she confesses she's always wanted to see the ocean, two days travel from where they live. Ali realizes that ...more
Theediscerning
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the beginning of this book I wasn't really on its wavelength, with the initial page seemingly translated into summary, describing the set-up in a very passive manner. But when the quest story begins, of a young boy going to visit the sea as surrogate for his great-grandma (a huge figure dwarfing the stool she sits on in her old age), I think you can't help but warm to the sentiment. Yes, it is sentimental, slight, and a little nonsensical, but it's warm-hearted enough, and the approach is cer ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ali's great-grandmother has only one wish - to see the sea before she dies. It is a two-day walk from their small village to the sea and there is no way she could travel that far, so Ali decides to make the trip for her and bring back a bucket of water as a souvenir. The journey is long, hard and hot, but Ali makes it to the sea and is in awe of its beauty and magnitude. He dutifully lugs a pail of water back to his home, but when he gives it to his great-grandmother there are only a few drops l ...more
eimn
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story! I am completely mesmerized by it. Ali and his great-grandmother live in the desert, looking at the sky every night together. Ali realizes that his great-grandmother is getting old, and so one day, he asks him if all of her dreams have been fulfilled. "Every single one", answers the great-grandmother, "except one!" And from there starts a journey of friendship and solidarity like nothing I've read before.

The illustrations are stunning, a melange of minimalism and beautifu
Amanda Sanders
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Although sweet, this book also has some unintended creepiness and the plot doesn't solve the problem in my mind. A boy asks his great grandmother if all her dreams had come true. That is a very sweet question and premise for the story. The boy wants to help her fulfill her dream by going himself. He's too young to travel on his own and I don't see how that helps her fulfill her dream. I like the illustrations of the great grandma.
Amy Nicole
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ali makes it his mission to fulfill his great grandmother's wish to visit the sea. He spends four days traveling to bring her a drop of the sea.

This would be a good discussion book. I feel like there are things in this story that could really spark some life lessons about dreams, fulfillment, helping others, and bravery.
Cat
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! So sweet! It's a wonderful story of a little boy who lived with his very old great-grandmother. Her one regret was that she never saw the ocean (two days walk) and was now too old to make the journey. Her great-grandson, a little boy, walks the distance for her and brings back the gift of water from the sea for her. What a wonderful, touching gift. brought tears to my eyes.
Miss Sarah
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A moving elementary and up picture book about a great grandmother and her great grandson who live alone in a foreign country. The Grandmother is getting older and has always longed to see the sea but never has and can no longer make the walk. The boy sets out to bring the sea to her. Touching.
Ümit Mutlu
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir kum tanesi, bir kum yığını oluşturur mu? Kaç kum tanesinden sonra bir yığın, bir yığın olur? Yığından bir kum tanesi alınırsa, yığın artık yığın olmaz mı?

Peki kaç kişi sonra insan, yalnızlıktan kurtulur?
Kelly
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Strong
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, children-s
A beautiful, touching story about a young boy making his great-grandmother's last wish come true (because he loves her).
Kelly
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's the story of a boy's love for his great-grandmother, and it's told very well.

It's a lovely story.
Engel Dreizehn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC Copy...stylized in cultural artistic way of a boy relating to his grandma via experiences and sense revovling around the sea. Interesting to read.
Sarah Morris
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book about helping others make their dream come true. Could do a great response activity about dreaming and helping others.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Beautiful.
Brave
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

A quiet story but a lovely one. Another with stunning illustrations as well.

Requested & received for free from Netgalley.
Lynn
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being in my 7th decade of life, I appreciate this story!
Hannah
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A touching story with some good life lessons for readers of all ages.
Richelle
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Very heartfelt book about a grandson helping his grandma do the one thing she never got to do. Teachers, librarians, and parents will loving reading this book to kids and talking about how even the littlest gesture can make someone's day.
Beth
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young boy who lives with his great grandmother goes in a journey to find the ocean to bring some of it back to her since that is the only dream she has not fulfilled in her life.
« previous 1 3 next »
Ingrid Chabbert est née en 1978 en Aveyron et vit aujourd'hui à Carcassonne.
Elle écrit depuis sa plus tendre enfance, partout et sur n'importe quoi.
Elle n'a pas fait d'études de lettres mais jouer avec les mots, parler de la vie aux enfants, c'est sa passion.
Son tout premier album jeunesse est paru en 2010.
Depuis, c'est prés d'une trentaine de titres qui ont vu le jour.