Start by marking “Dawn Among the Stars” as Want to Read:
Dawn Among the Stars

Dawn Among the Stars

Set against the backdrop of intergalactic politics and war, Dawn Among the Stars follows the stories of three Humans as they struggle to understand the universe on a cosmic scale.
Kayin has a rough start when the Shielders, a potential alien ally for Earth, come out of hiding and into the public consciousness. Not only does their very existence cause her trouble, her panic
Published May 21st 2018 by Trifecta Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Dawn Among the Stars, please sign up.
Samantha Heuwagen Hello! Thank you for your question. I love to add elements of real life to whatever world I'm creating, yet turn reality upside down with something cr…moreHello! Thank you for your question. I love to add elements of real life to whatever world I'm creating, yet turn reality upside down with something crazy and not of our time or world. In Dawn Among the Stars that element is the coming of aliens. It was fun to create a culture that represented the change I want to see in our world–– today in 2018. I hope the social justice warrior in me is proudly on display in the Starless Series and beyond!(less)
Samantha Heuwagen Hi Rachel! Thank you for your question! It's actually a funny, yet weird story. I kept having this reacquiring dream about aliens on some far away pla…moreHi Rachel! Thank you for your question! It's actually a funny, yet weird story. I kept having this reacquiring dream about aliens on some far away planet for almost 2 weeks before I realized I needed to write it down. It grew over the years as I grew, but it always played out in my mind's eye. When I was in graduate school at Mercer University, I needed to find something that wasn't therapy related for some self-care. I jumped at the chance to finish the story that plagued me for ages. So here it is: my dream realized in living color, so to speak. I hope you enjoy!(less)

Start your review of Dawn Among the Stars
Hannah
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I read an advanced copy of this novel.*

Dawn Among the Stars is a new take on science fiction, offering readers a diverse, female-led cast caught in the middle of an alien war.

Kayin Aves, a 20-something Latina living in Michigan, has been struggling with her mental health since the Shielders first arrived on Earth. The threat of invasion from the Temorshians isn't helping, and when Kayin wakes up to find their arrival imminent, goes into full-on survival mode to help the thing that matters most
Katelyn Uhrich
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**** I read an advanced copy of this book ****

The story follows three humans, Kayin, her ex, Henry and her best friend, Melissa, as they're forced to accept that aliens are, not only real, but attacking their planet. If Kayin, Henry, and Melissa are going to have any chance at protecting their loved ones and saving their home, they have to team up with another group of aliens called the Shielders.

I loved reading about the shielders. They aren't your typical aliens. They're unique, from their ap
Jane Kelsey
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Samantha for a copy of this book

Dawn among the stars follows the story of three humans after the Shielders, a powerful race of aliens, arrive on Earth not to take over, but to warn and protect us of an imminent attack on our planet. The Thermoshians have long exhausted the natural resources of their planet and have now set their eyes on our planet… or so the Shielders say. Can we trust them or is that just a ploy to take over?

Kayin, her ex-Henry, and best friend Melissa find themselves
Mai Vabø
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2018
Dawn Among the Stars follows Kayin, Henry and Melissa as they are all faced with the reality of an alien attack on planet earth. It tackles mental health issues and trauma in a way that forces the reader to face the incredible discomfort of such illnesses head on, and, I thought, really got into the way in which society handles crises situations and how we validate other peoples feelings, and the importance of doing so.
Split into three parts, we are reliving the same timeline thrice over, always
Rachel Pudelek
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is not your average sci-fi novel--it's not heavy on the science. In fact, there isn't much science at all. This is a book about an alien invasion on earth in which two different alien races are fighting for the planet. One is fighting to save the planet for the humans and the other is fighting to have the planet for themselves. There are three parts to this story, each told from a different human point of view, and each showing interactions with the aliens. This story is, at its core, ...more
Julia Scott
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As with some books, it took me a while to get into this one, but once I was hooked, I steamed through it! Dawn Among the Stars tells the story of an alien war come to earth, and is told from three viewpoints. I usually struggle with 'head hopping' but because the viewpoints were divided into three parts rather than scattered through the book, I found it really enjoyable. I would find myself reading about one person whilst wondering how the other is getting on. But I knew I'd have to wait until b ...more
Brendan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a real fun book. I thought all the characters had nice arcs. I am excited for the second one!
Sam Hendricks
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been scouring science fiction shelves since I was six, desperately searching for female protagonists and semi-realistic, relatable stories. Over the years I’ve found a few that inspired or impacted me, but none as much as Dawn Among the Stars by Samantha Heuwagen. I just finished it and my initial reaction is, “I can’t wait for you to release the next one!”

Dawn Among the Stars follows three humans during and after an alien invasion. It primarily features two alien races: the Shielders and T
Amanda
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, I should begin by saying that I know the author from graduate school. She is a brilliant person, and I was delighted to support her in her writing career by buying her first novel. It's taken me some time to read it, but I have finally gotten around to it.

Per the book's descriptions, readers follow three distinct characters as they each navigate the new realities of living in a cosmically "integrated" universe. Each character begins with fear and prejudice for the new aliens, Shielders, a
Julie Embleton
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise behind this sci-fi aliens-come-to-earth tale is different in terms of the author focusing on how humans behave under the trauma of war, loss and terror. Under the backdrop of two warring alien races causing destruction on Earth, the characters find themselves on the run, or in the case of Kayin, rescued and heading into Space with the Shielder alien race.

Three main characters take centre stage in this novel, each getting their own third of the book for their tale to be told in the f
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
See even more book reviews at: https://www.lifeofafemalebibliophile.com

Dawn Among The Stars is a fast-paced Sci-fi/Fantasy novel that had me hooked from the first page. The plot has a post-apocalyptic/dystopian vibe as Kayin lives in a world where aliens and humans somewhat co-exist on the same planet. Kayin is fearful that something will happen and as a result is plagued with panic attacks which she tries to manage. (I liked how this mental health aspect was handled). As the planet becomes unde
Rebekkah Brainerd
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first word to describe this book: unique.

It’s a sci-fi, for sure. Aliens abound. Good aliens, bad aliens, a war over a planet. But it’s a lot more focused on the characters, the intricacies of how people would react to aliens and an intergalactic war, and family. There’s a focus on mental health and psychology, through a therapist’s POV – as Heuwagen is one – that’s a REALLY neat mixture. It’s a sci-fi you snuggle up with and learn about people while you do it, if that makes any sense.

The wr
Herminia Chow
About the book: It’s the first in a series, following the perspective of three characters: Kayin, Henry, and Melissa in that respective order.

I received a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

First impressions: I like the premise of the novel with other beings arriving on earth. I also love the title, and the cover page reflects what the story is about.

Characters: The three characters are different with each having their own goals. What’s more, the secondary cha
Patricia Friedrich
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not usually a reader of the genre, but it was so nice to read a sci-fi which is (also) focused on character development, human emotions and interaction—and that builds tension in unique ways—because those features transcend genre and time. Add the mental-health and social justice themes and you have a complex story that will really resonate with the readers of sci-fi.
James Mitchell
The book has an interesting construction to it. It follows one character pretty much through the entire story arc and then does the same for two other characters before wrapping it all up at the end. Very enjoyable read, all in all.
Tom
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Keep at it

Was a bit of a struggle to read, way too much dialogue and shifting character perspective too often. Storyline is good just too chopped up
Felicity McKay
Shelves: adult, femme, sci-fi
To be reviewed.
S.r. Algernon
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dawn Among the Stars is the first in a series of novels that depicts Earth caught in the grip of an alien invasion. The Temorshians, an aggressive species, threatens Earth and another species, known as the Shielders, aims to protect the human species. The human protagonists, Kayin Aves, Henry Rickner and Melissa Pebbles, find themselves cut off from each other while the battle rages. Dawn among the Stars focuses on their quest to understand the world around them, figure out who to trust, and fin ...more
Neg Dardashti
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don among the stars is an action-packed sci-fi where to alien races are at war with our earth as the innocent bystander. But beneath the outer layers, the author explores humanity as she follows her characters to the trials and tribulations they face while trying to navigate among the new realities. There’s fear, hope, anger, and a spare as we are taking along the journey with them. The author does a fantastic job of capturing to human nature and what it means to be a love one, a family member, ...more
Kayla
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dawn was an amazing introduction to the characters and the story, exploring mental health, healthy relationships (friends, family, and otherwise), and so much more. I dragged in some spots (primarily because I wasn't a fan of one character, though they are written really well). Just push through.

PS. part 3 of book 1 was my favorite

PSS. Book 2 is better than book 1. Definitely go read it no matter how you felt about book 1.
Suanne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author Heuwagen deftly combines alien-invasion-type science fiction with psychological drama and strong, capable women. Her background as a psychologist allows her to write accurate—if heart-wrenching—descriptions of post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety/panic attacks, and sexual assault. She follows book one with a similarly interesting book two. Now eagerly awaiting #3.
David Cearley
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Good characters, slow start

I don't mind series books too much. You know the kind, an end without an ending, but this story went virtually nowhere in the first volume.
The characters still aren't fully developed, you can't see the arc of the story, the foundation isn't fully laid. I'm enjoying the story, but I still don't know where it's going.
Christopher
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing first book in the series by a debut author! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I can't wait for the next one to come out! If you are a fan of science fiction, with strong female characters, and an engaging story - definitely a good book to read. ...more
Raheis
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
These movie was definitely fantastic.
Mike Heath
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun beginning to a new take on Sci-Fi. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!
Eliza Emmett
Hali Davidson
Mar 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Set to Music
  • The Rose Red Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie, #2)
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)
  • The Snow White Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie Book 3)
  • The Renegade's Heart (The True Love Brides Book 1)
  • The Ballad of Rosamunde (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #3.5)
  • Learn Amazon Ads: Use AMS to Find More Readers and Sell More Books
  • The Highlander's Curse (The True Love Brides Book 2)
  • The Frost Maiden's Kiss (The True Love Brides, #3)
  • The Warrior's Prize (The True Love Brides, #4)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • Stone Devil Duke (Hold Your Breath, #1)
  • Taming a Duke's Reckless Heart (Taming the Heart, #1)
  • How to Marry a Marquess (Wedded by Scandal, #3)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Barbarian's Bride (Ice Planet Barbarians, #20)
  • Binding the Baroness (Cavern of Pleasures, #3)
Samantha Heuwagen works as a Marriage and Family Therapist that specializes in Sex Therapy in Atlanta, GA. She is a graduate of Mercer University School of Medicine where she earned her second Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. Her first Master’s degree is in Women’s and Gender Studies from the University of South Florida where she first realized her passion for sex education and the ...more