Start by marking “Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams” as Want to Read:
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

The Inspiration for the Upcoming TV Show

Though perhaps most famous as a novelist, over the course of his career Philip K. Dick wrote more than one hundred short stories, each as mind-bending and genre-defining as his longer works. Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams collects ten of the best from across his career. In “Autofac,” Dick shows us one of the earliest examples
Published November 14th 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published September 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, please sign up.
Crocranger I purchased the UK softcover edition and neither 'Holy Quarrel' or 'If There Were No Benny Cemoli' is included. That said, the ten that are included…moreI purchased the UK softcover edition and neither 'Holy Quarrel' or 'If There Were No Benny Cemoli' is included. That said, the ten that are included are all listed in his top 30 short fiction titles on a list I generated using Google stats. Purchasing this, Jonathan Lethem's 'Selected Stories of Philip K Dick' and Dover's 'The Early Science Fiction of...' gave me 35 of the top 44 with minimal overlap at an affordable total price.(less)
Raven Sales Pitch. It's vastly different though.…moreSales Pitch. It's vastly different though. (less)

Start your review of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
Joey Woolfardis
A collection of PKD short stories that were the inspiration for episodes of the television programme Electric Dreams. Some were true to the original whilst others had only mere snippets of them, often changing dramatically to bring them up to date and more inclusive.

Actually quite a decent collection of his stories, though one feels the need to stress that PKD expertise is not needed here. Enjoyment is available for sci-fi fans, for PKD fans and for short story fans. It's a good collection but
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is a collection of the ten short stories that inspired the Channel Four TV series of the same name, each story also comes with a brief introduction from the writer who adapted it for the series which explains their thought process behind any changes they made. I'll talk about each story separately but as they're not printed in the order they're airing on TV I'll also confirm which episode each story relates to. Overall I really enjoyed this collection, it was fun ...more
Ray
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fic, shorts, audio, pk-dick
I really enjoyed this short story collection of some of PK Dick's finest and weirdest or short stories. Of course, as we all know, he was a genius and predicted the anxiety and reality confusion of the modern world like no one else! Etc. etc., you've heard it all before.

What is unique about this anthology is that it ties into the Amazon television series. Now, it is true that this series has it's highlights but it's frankly not as good as Black Mirror. But it's still solid science fiction,
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
So before the TV series Electric Dreams was broadcast I’d never really heard of Philip K Dick (seriously every time I type that name I giggle, yes I’m like a five year old) but having enjoyed a couple of episodes of the show I thought I’d read the original stories. That was about six months ago and I have finally got round to reading them.

The stories in this collection are, Exhibit Piece, The Commuter, The Impossible Planet, The Hanging Stranger, Sales Pitch, The Father Ting, The Hood Maker,
John
This compilation of Philip K. Dick's short stories, all written in the early to mid-1950s in the midst of the Cold War. Each story includes a foreword by an individual involved in the story's translation to film for the Twilight Zone series, Electric Dreams.

The anthology begins strong with the short story, "Exhibit Piece," about a museum curator who bends the time-space continuum to live in the world of one of his exhibits on 1950s America. Another early story, "The Hanging Stranger", was
William
Not a review, but a NOTICE:

My wife and I just watched the first of 10 hour-long episodes of sci-fi based on the short stories of PKD on Channel 4 in the UK.

a review in The Guardian

I note at the end credits it was Amazon Studios, so you may find it there at some point.

It was superb. The actress, Holliday Grainger, also stars in BBC "Strike" based on J.K. Rowling's detective series.

I highly recommend both.
Bettie
Description: Electric Dreams, is a British-American science fiction television anthology series based on the works of Philip K. Dick. The series premiered on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom on 17 September 2017.[1] It consists of ten standalone episodes based on Dick's work, written by British and American writers. Episode details below are sourced from wiki.

"The Hood Maker": In an authoritarian regime called the Free Union, a minority of humans have developed telepathic abilities. Mistrusted
Sorcha O'Dowd
Watching the series and reading the book side-by-side.

Thoughts on 'The Hood Maker' - I love what the screenwriter did with the story. Rather than adapt it, it's like a different, untold side of the story has been told. More like an episode influenced by aspects of the original story. Very different, but intriguing none-the-less. Emotionally, I connected more to the TV episode than the written story, but enjoyed both equally, but for different reasons.

Nora
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
4,5 stars ! Only one story I didnt really like ...more
Ken
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most people, I became aware of these stories due to the recent TV adaptations. As the show is taking a mid-series break in the UK I felt it was about time that I delved into the stories...
This addition includes introductions from the directors, so inevitably I'll be comparing the stories to the show.

Exhibit Piece The episode Real Life has little resemblance to this, a great story to start the collection. Different realities have always been one of my favorite Science-Fiction tropes. 4/5

The
Helen
Electric Dreams is a collection of short stories that were the influence for the episodes in the recent tv series based on Philip K. Dick's work.

The social and cultural side of a lot of them make the stories feel dated. A lot of the sci-fi is the standard stuff that was doing the rounds in the 50s / 60s - human style service robots etc. I don't mind this, I love Arthur C. Clarke and Issac Asimov but I found it irritating here. Maybe because he's touted as super modern and way ahead of his time?
Andy Hickman
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“PHILIP K. DICK'S ELECTRIC DREAMS: VOLUME 1”: the stories which inspired the hit channel 4 series, by PHILIP K. DICK
Collection of his stories, always mesmerizing. There is nobody else like him. You can never guess the ending, even after you've read it.! *****

“Exhibit Piece”: Clever surreal. Great ending. ****
...
“You realize this may be nothing but an exhibit? You and everybody else - maybe you're not real. Just pieces of an exhibit.” (p13)
- -

“The Commuter”: His life, work and family subtly
Alexandra
if you are a fan of the twilight zone, you will easily fall into the world of SOME of these stories that are so reminiscent of that beloved series (sadly, the rest aren’t up to snuff or are just different but not necessarily bad).

this anthology is made up of a compilation of philip k dick’s stories that apparently were the inspiration for the amazon series Electric Dreams, which takes each story and turns it into a standalone episode.

the first story, Exhibit Piece , originally published in
Nigeyb
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of provocative and prescient Philip K. Dick short stories from the 1950s, and which inspired the Channel Four television series of the same name. I didn't see the TV series however I can vouch for the quality of the stories.

The stories in this collection are, Exhibit Piece, The Commuter, The Impossible Planet, The Hanging Stranger, Sales Pitch, The Father Thing, The Hood Maker, Foster, You’re Dead, Human Is and Autofac.

4/5

Thais
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I've recently started to watch the TV series.

I found the episode based on the short story "Human Is" to be so perfectly brilliant that I paused before it was finished and rushed to read this book.

This collection is sure to please any PKD fan. It has all the characteristic elements, with highly imaginative stories that contemplate human nature and often leave the reader with a queasy feeling.

I can't, however, regret the compromises the screenwriters have made to modernize these tales and make
Derelict Space Sheep
Dick was an ideas man and a prolific writer. He may have outshone his pulp era contemporaries, yet the end product smacks of an imagination employed piecemeal, in lieu of craft. The stories in this collection have the lustre of early drafts.
Books Beyond The Story
I could have gone OTT and picked apart every single story in this collection (and I would totally do that) but then where’s the mystery? Where’s the surprise? Where’s the passion? I will be reviewing this book as a whole with focus on three of the ten narratives.

‘The Commuter’

In this story, a man turns up at the train station ticket office wanting a ticket to Macon Heights. But there’s a problem. It doesn’t exist. Then he vanishes. Completely disappears! This leads the ticket officer to try and
Ben Red
Quick disclaimer: I listened to the Audible audiobook rather than reading a physical copy, which may have affected my overall feeling towards this collection.

This book has been throughly “pizzled.” A term in one of the ten stories which the characters define as a state in which a consumer product is made with no practical need or want. Another way to put it is a supply created with a moral objection to the perceived nature of the demand.

The stories themselves are quintessential PKD stories.
Stacy Bell
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in 3 days. Sometimes (a lot) it takes me weeks or even months because I start one and immediately put it down and take forever to pick it back up. This is a collection of short stories so it was really easy for me to get into and they were all so fun to read! I've never read anything by this author so it was a good place to start and I'll definitely consider reading more by him.
jassira raxlly
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love PKDs philosophy and ideas. I've read a couple of these stories prior, but still wonderful. I absolutely HATE the bigotry.
I'm watching the Electic Dreams in conjunction and enejoy the experience.
Dave Ganter
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, light reading. Some interesting and currently relevant topics covered. Very interesting to see the differences between the TV adaptations and the originals.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I'm really curious now to read more by PKD. I'm shocked.
Surajit
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this specially as a companion to Amazon's Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, TV Show. I spent the weekend reading a story and watching the episode. What a party!!!
Katie Thompson
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and half stars - interesting to see the influence of the time period these were written in - a nice little quick read!
Paul Spence
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Actual Rating: 4.5*

This was an Audible Daily Deal!

I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I liked being introduced to them by the producers of the TV show and understanding a bit more about the stories themselves before diving in. I think there are such important and timely meanings behind each of these stories - which is sad and amazing considering how long ago they were written. I am so intrigued by this that I am searching out the TV
Jess
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I have always been a fan of Philip K Dick's work, since my cousin lent me some of his books in my early teens and I became hooked. When the Electric Dreams series came on Channel 4, I tried to watch them all and so decided I must read the accompanying book.

I really loved the whole book but to be honest could of done without the adaptors opinions therefore the book only got 4 out of 5 stars.

I have done a mini review for each short story.

Exhibit Piece

I really enjoyed the image of George Miller
Kaitlin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I mean, basically every story was like an episode of the Twilight Zone? Or the Twilight Zone is very PKD-influenced? I don’t know, I haven’t sorted that out yet. But I like both of these things, so I’m on board. I liked this story collection quite a bit more than “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” though, actually. Probably because I hadn’t already seen the adaptation. This book made me want to read more PKD, whereas I was relatively ambivalent towards him before.
Larry
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa boy, from the trippy visuals on the cover, to that prestigious "As seen on TV" sticker, this book had me reeling from page 'Contents'. The promise on the back that these stories would "reprogram my mind" was an understatement; my mind was reprogrammed, and then my whole damn harddrive (brain) was corrupted!!
Talk about a journey down the rabbit hole! I might have thought I was electric dreaming, but given the success of the TV series, I'm not the only one!

(I hate the cover, the stories were
Cat
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this short story collection. A lot of these stories were predictable, obvious and dull. I enjoyed 'Sales Pitch', 'The Hood Maker', 'Foster, You're Dead' and 'Human Is' because they had something a little more interesting to their plots, but the other six stories felt like a waste of time. Overall, I was just disappointed by this collection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Author credit on Anthologies 3 14 Feb 17, 2019 04:58PM
Sci-Fi Group Book...: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams: Volume 1 7 12 Nov 11, 2018 01:45PM

• Éjféli iskolák
  • Poštovani kukci i druge jezive priče
  • Escrever Ficção: Um Manual de Criação Literária
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Ellis Island and Other Stories
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • The Book of Immortality: The Science, Belief, and Magic Behind Living Forever
  • Dr.STONE 7 (Dr. Stone, #7)
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. ...more
“Of course, he snuck all this in under the guise of pulp science fiction, baiting us into believing that maybe this is all just fantasy. Only once the story is over, and we take another look at the world around us, do we realize: It’s all completely true.” 1 likes
“Nobody should lead mankind. It should lead itself.” 1 likes