Start by marking “A Christmas Revelation (Christmas Stories #16)” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Revelation (Christmas Stories #16)

A Christmas Revelation

(Christmas Stories #16)

In this intriguing, uplifting holiday mystery from bestselling author Anne Perry, an orphan boy investigates a woman's kidnapping--and discovers there's more at stake than a disappearance.

It wouldn't quite be Christmas without a holiday mystery decorated with all the Victorian trimmings as only New York Times bestselling author Anne Perry can render it. Now the tradition
Published November 6th 2018 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Revelation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Revelation

Start your review of A Christmas Revelation (Christmas Stories #16)
Carolyn
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, novella
A Christmas novella in this popular series by Anne Perry featuring Worm, an orphaned nine year urchin, Eloise, a woman being threatened by two ruthless men and Squeeky, a rough man with a kind heart who wants to make Christmas special for Worm and the abused women in the clinic where he works. A snapshot of a Victorian Christmas amongst London's working class with a bit of a mystery to be solved.
"Avonna
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

A CHRISTMAS REVELATION by Anne Perry is an intriguing Victorian era Christmas novella with heart. This novella is written featuring secondary characters from Ms. Perry’s Monk series, the realism of the seamier side of Victorian London and a mystery to be solved. This Christmas story can easily be read as a standalone.

Nine-year-old urchin, Worm lives at the Portpool Lane clinic. He witnesses a beautiful blond haired woman being
Deb Jones
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
"A Christmas Revelation" is the 16th Christmas novel written by Anne Perry. This is my first read out of the collection; it is a stand-alone mystery with an underlying message. A tale well-told; not too sentimental nor too preachy.

The two central characters are 9-year-old Warren, more often called Worm, an orphan of the streets of 19th century London and his co-worker/reluctant mentor, Squeaky. Squeaky is a middle-aged man who now keeps the books for a women's shelter; in past years, he was a
Sophia
Combining the nostalgia of Victorian Era Christmas and the grit and grime of the author's usual historical mystery world, readers of the authors' regular mystery series are treated to a holiday mystery novella each year.

In A Christmas Revelation, sixteenth of the Christmas stories collection, Worm and Squeaky, minor characters from the William Monk series, get their time to shine.

Worm, a waif from the streets, has no understanding of Christmas, and little understanding about family. Against the
Shomeret
I admit that I'm usually much more impressed by Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries, but authors can't always be brilliant. I did hope for better when I requested A Christmas Revelation from Net Galley.

What stood out about this Christmas mystery is that it dealt with ordinary working class people. Perry has a tendency to focus on the perspectives of aristocrats and officialdom. I applaud her for thinking that there was a story worth telling in the lives of an accountant for a clinic catering to
Miriam Smith
“A Christmas Revelation” is the 16th novella in the ‘Christmas Stories’ series written by Anne Perry.
Each novella is based on the historical murder mystery or detective fiction genre and often feature a number of recurring characters.
I happily enjoyed reading this book and the nice thing is, they can be read in one sitting where you totally immerse yourself in the intriguing and genuinely endearing characters and their story. ‘Worm’ and ‘Squeaky’, the two main people in “A Christmas Revelation
Susan Johnson
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley

Anne Perry writes this series of Christmas novellas that are loosely connected to her regular series. This one is centered at the clinic where Hester Monk works and concerns the bookkeeper and a young, stray boy, Worm. The boy sees a woman who seems kindly but is yet in distress. He enlists Squeaky, the bookkeeper, to find her and help her. This is the story of that search and how it ties into a famous gold robbery.

My favorite part of this book was the historical Christmas celebration
Barbara Rogers
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publication Date: 11/6/18

What a wonderfully poignant Christmas story. If you have read this author’s William Monk series, you will be familiar with most of the characters in this book. The story is a wonderfully written tale of redemption and caring at Christmas.

Since last summer, nine-year-old Worm (Warren) has been living and working at the clinic in Portpool Lane. The clinic was established to provide medical care, etc. for women on the streets. He’d always lived on the riverbank before
Patrice
This is a historical fiction story; approx. 1876 - 1878 in England, outside of London. I liked the setting and the main character, young Worm, an orphan currently residing at a "home" for those less fortunate (mostly ladies of the evening) run by an aristocratic woman. The main characters are well written and seem true to the era this is taking place in. The setting is done well, so you get a feel for the time/space. It's an interesting story about young Worm (he's about 9) and this woman he ...more
Jessica
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It was fine, but I felt like the short length didn't allow her to develop either the mystery or the Christmas component enough. I think I would like her Christmas stories that are about characters I know better. (I've read probably 20 of the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt books, but only the first William Monk.)
Kristina
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming Victorian mystery. Interesting characters and intriguing mystery. I will share my review soon.
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Believe it or not, I know that Anne Perry has been around for several years and has a good list of books she has written, I have never read any of them. I thought that some time in the last few years I have been with Goodreads, I would have read one of them. But I could not find one that I have read!

I enjoyed this title very much as you can see from my book lists, I read many Christmas themed books!

This is a Christmas story taking place in 19th Century England. Everyone is waiting for Father
Lori
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Worm is living at the Portpool Lane clinic funded by Oliver Rathbone with Miss Burroughs and Squeaky. He witnesses two men violently forcing a beautiful woman to go with them, following them to an area when they suddenly vanish. He later returns with Squeaky, discovering the woman has a story of her own and went with her captors somewhat willingly. All of this is set around Christmas. Squeaky shares the Christmas story with Worm who never heard it. Although the book is short, it seemed to drag ...more
LJ
First Sentence: Worm stood and stared, overcome with wonder.
Worm is a former Thames River urchin, somewhere around nine years old, who has never known a family Christmas. He now has a job and a place to stay at Hester Monk's clinic and is looked after by volunteer Miss Claudine Burroughs and bookkeeper Squeaky Robinson. When Worm witnesses the possible kidnapping of the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, he begs Squeaky's help in rescuing the lady. However, the mystery woman is not the victim
Quirkybookworm
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
First of this is a Christmas novella based on Anne Perry's characters from William Monk's series. Now, I've never read any of Anne Perry's books. I decided to go ahead and give this novella a shot. I'm glad I did!

The setting takes place in an English town by Thames River during pre-Victorian era. Reminded me much of Charles Dickens novels. The story focuses on Worm, the former river rat and Squeaky, mentor (I don't know exactly what his role is. I haven't read the series yet) few days before
Lelia Taylor
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-reviews

I stopped reading Anne Perry‘s books a few years back when they started getting so much longer than I care for but I’ve remained a fan of her stories about William and Hester Monk and Thomas and Charlotte Pitt plus a myriad of wonderful secondary characters. When this novella came along, I decided I needed to touch base again, so to speak, and I’m glad I did.

This episode is set in and around Hester Monk’s clinic where a young boy has found a family of sorts with a volunteer and a
eyes.2c
Worm's story ... Hope in the rookeries!

A Christmas tale with Dicksonian overtones. Squeaky Robinson (the Monk series), the accountant for the Portpool Lane Clinic, a man with a chequered past, is cast not as the curmudgeon he often is, but rather as a man who strives to assist a young street boy without wounding his dreams. The spirit of Christmas is surely lingering!
Worm sees a young woman (to him a vision of goodness), "... a lady who smiles, with the sun in her hair," being mishandled by two
Kate Baxter
3.5 stars out of 5

Anne Perry, in this reader's opinion, is the queen of Victorian historical mysteries. I have enjoyed her Monk, Thomas Pitt and Daniel Pitt mysteries as well as a few of her Christmas mysteries. This charming, relatively short story, is 16th in her Christmas series. It focuses on the seedier side of London and has a rather Dickensian feel about it.

The story centers on nine year old Worm, an orphaned youth, who observes what appears to be the abduction of a young woman, lovely
Kristina
A Christmas Revelation by Anne Perry is the sixteenth novel in The Christmas Stories series. Worm lives at the clinic on Portpool Lane thanks to the kindly Claudine Burroughs. Worm is out and about one day when he witnesses a lovely lady get kidnapped by two men. Worm runs back to the clinic and reports the problem to Squeaky Robinson, the clinic’s accountant. Squeaky tries to distract Worm with preparations for Christmas, but he is not to be deterred. The next morning, the pair set out to find ...more
Theresa Larson
A Christmas Revelation
By: Anne Perry
Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine
Publication Date: November 6, 2018
3 Stars

A Christmas Revelation is a Victorian Era mystery. The plot revolves around a poverty-stricken population. Worm, an orphan boy, sees a woman who appears to be forcibly taken away by two men. Even after his hard years on the streets, he has a remarkably big heart and is immediately concerned about her. At once, he sets out following the trio with the hopes of rescuing the woman.
Yibbie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
Anne Perry is an excellent author. She knows how to draw you into a story and keep your interest. The action starts right on the first page and keeps going from there. I liked the timeline. It was fast-paced but not unbelievably so. The relationship between Squeaky, Worm and Claudine was really nice and the only really Christmassy thing about the book.
There were a couple of things that I didn’t appreciate. There was a lot of cursing. Then because of the setting, prostitutes are mentioned and
Me
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was sent this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Set in England around Christmas 1870, this is a mystery surrounding a former pimp, now an accountant at a shelter for ill, poor, "working" women, and an orphan who resides at the shelter, Worm. Worm is approximately 9 years old and observes a woman being taken away by two men and against her will. Thus begins the mystery as Worm recruits Squeaky, the accounts manager to help him locate and help the ...more
Suzanne
This was a cute little book featuring some of the side characters from Anne Perry's Inspector Monk series as they try to help a mysterious stranger and celebrate Christmas. One of the parts I enjoyed the most was the rough and cynical old man trying to explain to the former street urchin what Christmas is and how it is celebrated. The is my second Christmas book by Anne Perry (the first was one featuring Monk) and I hope she writes more!

I also liked the Victorian setting. The streets were often
Robin Rider
A Christmas Revelation: A Novel by Anne Perry, is a wonderful depiction of the Victorian era and a lovely book to read at Christmas time. Perry, a master of characterization, introduces the reader to Squeaky and Worm. Squeaky, a former brothel owner has now been relegated to an accountant for the charity shelter. Worm, a child of the streets, spots a beautiful woman who he believes is being held against her will. Worm enlists Squeaky's help to rescue her. Great story with well-drawn ...more
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good, quick and moving mystery about a couple of the Monk series characters, Worm (a 9 year old boy who has come to live at the clinic for prostitutes that Monk's wife Hester started years ago), and Squeaky Robinson, who is the bookkeeper there, (and was the previous bookkeeper when the place was a brothel). Squeaky is concerned about Worm who is obsessed about a woman he thought was being mistreated and needed his help. Squeaky did not want the boy to go out searching for her alone, so he ...more
Sharla
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I like getting to know some of the background characters from Anne Perry's other books in more depth through her Christmas series. This one was good but the ending felt rushed. I was left feeling as if something had been left out. Still, not a bad Christmas themed book.
Carol
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable Christmas book. I would have enjoyed finding out what happened next to the characters after the book ended.
Amy
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Christmas Revelation is a good and short story. I had it read in no time. I give it five stars and I recommend it.
Hapzydeco
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Set in the gritty streets of 1868 London. Anne Perry, the queen of the Victorian historical mystery, gives the reader a sentimental, historical Christmas novella featuring Worm and Squeaky Robinson. Ah! This what Christmas time is about.
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I look forward to Anne Perry's Christmas book every year. This was a very good story and quite different from her usual stories. It involved disadvantaged people in Victorian England. Usually her stories involve the well to do.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Play Book Tag: A Christmas Revelation by Anne Perry - 3 stars 2 13 Dec 06, 2018 10:00PM

• Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
  • City of Secrets (Counterfeit Lady, #2)
  • Lark! The Herald Angels Sing (Meg Langslow, #24)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Poinsettia Puzzle (The Darling Dahlias, #8)
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown (Lady Emily #13)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods (Mrs. Jeffries #37)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • Broken Bone China (A Tea Shop Mystery #20)
  • Yule Log Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.5)
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • Eggs on Ice (Cackleberry Club, #8)
  • Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23)
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope #9)
  • Murder at the Queen's Old Castle (Reverend Mother Mystery #6)
  • Remembrance
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry," the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several categories of genre fiction, including historical murder mysteries and detective fiction. Many of them feature a number of

Christmas Stories (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Christmas Journey (Christmas Stories, #1)
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • A Christmas Guest (Christmas Stories, #3)
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • A Christmas Beginning (Christmas Stories, #5)
  • A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #6)
  • A Christmas Promise (Christmas Stories, #7)
  • A Christmas Odyssey (Christmas Stories, #8)
  • A Christmas Homecoming (Christmas Stories, #9)
  • A Christmas Garland (Christmas Stories, #10)
“You could make beautiful pictures with paint, but there was nothing behind it.” 0 likes