Start by marking “Giant Days: Early Registration” as Want to Read:
Giant Days: Early Registration

Giant Days: Early Registration

(Giant Days: Year One #1-3)

Flashback to freshman year with Esther, Susan and Daisy to see how they first met and became the best of friends, in these bonus Giant Days stories.

Take a trip through the past in these earlyGiant Days stories, and discover the origin of Daisy, Esther and Susan’s friendship as they embark on orientation, getting-to-know-you-exercises, and collisions with a secret society
Published December 18th 2018 by BOOM! Box (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant Days

Start your review of Giant Days: Early Registration
Sam Quixote
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffering from Giant Days withdrawal, I was delighted to discover Giant Days: Year One exists! The book is three self-published comics, the first from 2011 and the others from 2013, written and drawn by John Allison which paved the way to Boom picking it up and turning it into an ongoing. And of course it’s great!

Esther, Susan and Daisy are fresher uni students who become friends in the halls of residence. In Year One, the mean girls try to recruit Esther, our heroes meet Ed Gemmell who falls
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Collecting the original three issue self-published Giant Days mini-series by John Allison, Early Registration is an interesting look at how far the series has evolved since inception, and how fully formed the characters were even back at the start.

The core three are all here, and pretty much the same - Esther is flighty and boy crazy, Daisy is the naive one, and Susan is a force to be reckoned with. The only other truly familiar face is Ed Gemmell, who's a hopeless romantic with no idea what to
Robin Stevens
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Giant Days, and these early stories from John Allison are as funny and weird as ever. (14+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Chessa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so much you guys. UGH SO GOOD!
Rod Brown
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Giant Days version 1.0 with writing and art by John Allison. I'm surprised these weren't collected long ago, they're so damn good. Glad to have them now. And if you haven't read the series, start here and get caught up ASAP!
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

I remember reading Giant Days, Vol. 1 and wishing that the three intriguing stories from the first three weeks of college shortly summarized by Susan would be elaborated upon:

Little did I know that these stories already existed as three separate issues, self-published by John Allison way back in 2013 and now collected into Giant Days: Early Registration!

I genuinely enjoyed reading these early issues, though I'm glad that the current series stays away from such bizarre supernatural
Artemy
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 5-stars
These early issues of Giant Days are every bit as lovely and brilliant as the current ongoing series published by Boom! I am so glad it exists, something that can always cheer me up.
Lara
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I would like this after Giant Days: Extra Credit. The art is not the art I love (sorry, John Allison), and there are a few odd elements. But even though the girls don't quite look like the girls I know and love, they talk all the talk and do all the do, and I found that I loved seeing their beginnings! Plus, we get to see Ed Gemmell dressed in black metal garb and Susan take over the indie soc club with a cape!
April
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I love the characters and getting to know more about how they met, but I’m not crazy about the art of this one (don’t hate it, but not my favorite).
OMG I’m Daisy.
Jasmine
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The best part was definitely the head girls fight.
Karin
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hoopla
This one was done by a different artist and I am not loving it as much as the normal ones. I am glad I read it but not one of my favorites.
Mehsi
Welcome to a very early version of Giant Days. Sadly, this wasn't a favourite of mine.

I was pretty excited when I heard about this book, and that it would be a very early version of GD, one of my favourite series.

Sadly, very sadly, I feel really unhappy that I didn't like this book. With each issue I felt my heart sink further, and I have had a few times that I wanted to drop out. But I kept reading on, hoping for something, a spark, something. But sadly, I didn't find it.

I already knew the art
K
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love this series, but didn't know this was out here. If you are going to start this series (I recommend it):
START HERE FIRST

Then you can move on to Giant Days, Vol. 1. (There appears to be a book between this & vol 1, but it I believe it is just book 1 & 2 of the 4 books that are in Vol 1: Giant Days: Orientation Edition)

A compilation of the early Giant Days comics. It's interesting to see how the character illustrations have changed from the beginning (they look much more like the
Dakota Morgan
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Early Registration has all the charm and spunk of later works in the Giant Days series with just a bit less cohesion. Awkward time jumps between pages betray the daily webcomic nature of these three chapters. Fortunately, the dialogue and character interactions are just as strong as ever. The standout tale features Ed Gemmel falling for Esther, a classic plotline that was revisited later in the series. The standout page features Susan campaigning aggressively for president of the Indie Society ...more
Alexa
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Not one of my favourites out of the Giant Days series.

I absolutely love Giant Days. I really enjoy it being set in university, how dramatic it is, and three completely different girls that end up becoming friends.

This collection of Giant Days issues didn't completely grab me. The first in the Volume has a Scott Pilgrim vibe, having to battle the villain to resolve an issue, and the other two were nothing similar to it but the plot still follow throughout.
Carl
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, humor
There's some of the Giant Days fun you know and love here, but the characterizations are not yet fleshed out and the art isn't as good as it gets when Allison switches to just writing. It hints at some Scary Go Round-style supernatural storylines that will never come. You probably only need to own it if you're a completist like me.
laura (bookies & cookies)
While I don't enjoy the art style (which I'm glad was changed in the official run), I felt the real essence of all the characters and I loved revisiting their early friendship while now reading Issue 47 (!).
Bunny
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, read-in-20
How the girls became friends. Flipping adorable.
Alex
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s nice to have some prequel stories, but I don’t like the art style nearly as much. Black Metal Ed was pretty great, though.
Lindsey
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics
This was fun because it was drawn by John Allison. I liked exploring the backstory of the characters.
Nina
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Took a minute to get used to the art that is different than what I'm used to, but still love these girls and their adventures SO much. And I loved seeing the beginning.
Emily
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This one won’t go down in history as my favorite of the series, but I still had some laughs with it. Looking forward to the next installment in the main series timeline. This older stuff is fun, but not as good.
Shan
Just as funny and charming as ever, but with the added bonus of John Allison's actual art! This was a treat.
Rochelle
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ashley
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ah, okay, I wondered "what" this collection was - the art wasn't the same, and I could have sworn I'd seen some of these stories before. I just now learned that this is a collection of the original Giant Days comics, and now it all makes sense. (Truthfully, I'm a little happy that there isn't a new spinoff that I have to follow as well lol.)

I really enjoyed this - confusion about "what" and feeling a little weird about the art aside. It was really funny, it made me love the characters again.
Eilis O sullivan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this series and was thrilled to be able to read the stories that are so briefly mentioned at the beginning of Volume 1. It is fascinating to see how this trio actually came together and particularly the bumps along the way that could very easily have stopped their coming together. In particular it is fun to go back to these characters in their most basic form before friendship and experience shape them into slightly more mature versions of themselves.
The only part I couldn't
Slyth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I ABSOLUTELY love this series!!! We go through the time Esther, Daisy and Susan first meet each other at University. This happens in the first chap along with the popular group of girls trying to distance Esther from her new friends.

The second chap covers Ed and his so-called friend Steve both gooshing over Esther.

It ends with the third chap having Daisy and Susan joining Indie Society. Susan runs as president (which ends hilariously) and Esther receives a mystery invitation from THE ROOK who's
Karen
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am such a huge fan of this comic and these girls. This panel really sums it up for me: Esther says, after a night of regretful activity, “I just wanted... to make friends” and Susan retorts: “We’re your friends, you big fanny. Have you returned from your holiday up your own arse?” It is my opinion that every young woman exploring her independence for the first time, or after 20 or 30 years of adulting, needs a friend who will say that to her. This glimpse into the early days of Esther, Susan ...more
Cale
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This prequel to Giant Days shows the girls' first meetings, and plants some of the seeds of the later series. It's remarkably over-the-top in different ways than the regular series ended up, pitting the girls against preppy girls, goth rockers, and a rugby team, among others. It's still fun, and you can definitely see the seeds of what the series would become, but it's not quite crystallized here. Also, the artwork feels very different, both to its benefit and detriment. This is a quick read ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Giant Days
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10: Time and Again
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 10: Life is Too Short, Squirrel
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom
John Allison is the author and artist of the British webcomics Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Giant Days: Year One (3 books)
  • Giant Days: Year One #1 (Giant Days: Year One, #1)
  • Giant Days: Year One #2 (Giant Days: Year One, #2)
  • Giant Days: Year One #3 (Giant Days: Year One, #3)