Start by marking “The Ornament Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Ornament Keeper

The Ornament Keeper

Award-winning author Eva Marie Everson wraps up a Christmas story of hope, love, and forgiveness just in time for the holidays. The Ornament Keeper, a contemporary Christmas novella, features Felicia and Jackson Morgan who are spending their first Christmas apart after twenty years of marriage. But a lifetime of gifted ornaments helps Felicia piece together the story of th ...more
Published September 24th 2018 by New Hope Publishers (AL) (first published September 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Ornament Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ornament Keeper

Start your review of The Ornament Keeper
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

THE ORNAMENT KEEPER is so much more than a sweet historical romance. It's a heartfelt story of lost dreams, second chances and redemption. It's the story of learning to accept imperfections and past mistakes in order to begin healing. Between the Christmas small-town setting, the strong family dynamic, and sweet romance, readers are sure to fall in love with this story.

I was expecting this to be a short and sweet story, especially at novella length, but what I found was a deeply emotion
Anas Attic  Book Blog
I tried twice. At first it was too slow and sad. Then I read reviews that convinced me to try again and it became too religious for me. I love Christmas stories, but not very religious ones. It didn't have the Christmas Romance feel I was looking for. ...more
Nora St Laurent
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story begins with Felicia and her children discussing the up-coming holiday season. Felicia didn’t want to put up a Christmas tree this year because her husband Jackson had moved out of their home 6 months ago. She wasn’t feeling very festive, but her children Sara, Travis and Hank step up for the occasion. The kids would go to Steadman’s Christmas Tree Farm to get the tree (like they’d always done) and help get the house ready for Christmas.

Felicia tells her children she’d take care of the
Hallie Szott
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A novella that intertwines memories of Christmases past and present, The Ornament Keeper by Eva Marie Everson offers a heartwarming read for anyone who wishes to begin the holiday season a little early.

Jackson Morgan has given Felicia an ornament to commemorate each year of their marriage. Now, after twenty years together, the couple is living separately and Felicia is putting up the decorations by herself. With each ornament she unpacks, she reflects on the joys, the struggles, the disappointm
Suzie Waltner
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it takes years to figure out the truth. Sometimes that truth is kept hidden (even from ourselves) deep within, under piles of memories, arguments, and resentment.

In The Ornament Keeper, the journey to healing comes through unpacking twenty plus years of memories in the form of Christmas ornaments, one given each year to commemorate an event.

I love a good Christmas story, and The Ornament Keeper comes complete with self-discovery, forgiveness, and a small Christmas miracle. And it ends
Michele
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always love stories about Christmas but I think this book is absolutely the best Christmas book I have read. The characters and story are real ... the story doesn't feel forced or overly sweet. A marriage is in trouble and a family is being torn apart. The history of the relationship and the current happenings are revealed as the wife decorates the family Christmas tree and reminisces over each ornament -- reflecting on the circumstances and memories involved with each ornament. While dealing ...more
Ginny Cruz
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eva Marie Everson has penned an exquisite tale of how unresolved emotions and lost dreams can harm a marriage. I love how she weaves the tradition of the annual Christmas ornament into the journey toward forgiveness and resolution. Absolutely a joy to read!

This would make an excellent Hallmark movie! There's only one thing I found disappointing--it was too short!

You'll enjoy this book, I guarantee it!
Deana Dick
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the classiest, emotional and pivotal books about Christmas and family I have ever read. It drips with poignant moments that caught me off guard. We all have been there at times in our marriage where we become unhappy but don't quite know why. Our lives seem happy with healthy children, a lovely home and a marriage that has endured loss and triumph, but we feel empty inside.

I adored the significance of the ornaments in the story. It told in compassionate detail every important mome
Connie Saunders
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I read this new novella by Eva Marie Everson I could totally understand how a group of Christmas ornaments could play such an important role in this story. I often recall certain events from my life as I pull out my Christmas ornaments each year and Felicia is no different. Christmas 2018 finds her separated from her husband and she really has little desire to decorate a Christmas tree. It is her daughter who encourages her to pull out the ornaments and it is through these ornaments that we s ...more
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
3/5 stars.

Full review to come.
Heidi
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Felicia and Jackson Morgan are in their middle ages and are recently separated. In the beginning of the book we don’t know why they separated, only that Felicia is devastated by the separation. They have 3 children for the 19 years they have been married- Travis, Hank, and Sarah. Every Christmas Jackson gives Felicia a Christmas ornament, an ornament that symbolizes something that happened that particular year.

Throughout the novel we go back and forth in time- reliving Felicia’s memories of her
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ornament Keeper by Eva Marie Everson is a novella that resonated with me, and I suspect will resonate with others as well.

Felicia and Jackson Morgan have been married for 20 years; recently separated, the Jacksons are looking at spending their first Christmas apart since college days. As everyone tries to figure out how to approach the holidays, the Morgan’s college aged daughter encourages mom to decorate, at least for the younger siblings sake.

The Jacksons have a tradition...every year,
Beckie Burnham
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Small town Georgia is the setting of the novella, The Ornament Keeper by Eva Marie Everson. A Christmas gift for the reader, this book is a look into what can go wrong in a marriage. But there’s plenty of good among the hurt feelings, unforgiveness, missteps, and misunderstandings. Short in length, The Ornament Keeper is long on excellent writing, engaging characters, and a message of reconciliation. This one is a good choice for holiday reading.

The opening pages of The Ornament Keeper reveal a
MJSH
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read much from Eva Marie Everson in a couple of years and this Christmas novella was a treat. The first person limited narrative is so melodic, authentic, nostalgic, and emotional. The story is told from Leesha's perspective as she struggles through her separation from her husband of 20 years during the Christmas season. Present day Christmas season is intertwined with flashbacks from their past, mostly centered around Christmas and the stories behind the ornaments Jackson, Leesha's hu ...more
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
Can a marriage of twenty years that’s been broken be made whole again? Jackson and Leesha are separated with no hope of reconciliation in sight. Despite their separation, their children want to continue with family holiday traditions, which include decorating the Christmas tree. Jackson bought Leesha a special Christmas ornament each year. As Leesha and her children place these ornaments on the tree, Leesha looks back at her marriage through the years and the situations that lead to their estran ...more
Pam
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Felicia Morgan has always followed a set traditional routine when it comes to setting up the family Christmas tree but after twenty years of marriage, she and her husband have separated and she doesn’t have the heart to celebrate. When persuaded to keep up the tradition for her younger children’s sake, Felicia reluctantly agrees and one painful ornament after another, she slowly adds them to the tree as the memories attached to each one overtake her.

The Ornament Keeper is a beautifully written s
Candy Smith
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow,I'm still emotional over this read! There's some good memories and some tough ones that Felicia aka Leesha,has to process as she painstakingly hangs each of the nineteen ornaments on the Christmas, remembering what each memory signifies. I was determined not to cry but atlas, the author grabs my heart with a revelation that hits close to home. I really enjoyed this read and look forward to reading more from this author. This is a very touching story that teaches about love and forgiveness th ...more
Carey Clark
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Felicia seems to have it all but doesn't know that she does. She's let her past define her, and she isn't even aware of how much she has allowed unforgiveness to tear at her heart and her marriage. As she unpacks her treasured Christmas ornaments, she unpacks the past, and we have the privilege of following her journey toward forgiveness and hope. This is a beautiful story, beautifully told. You won't be disappointed—or left unchanged—by reading this book! ...more
Lisa Worthey Smith
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely touched my heart
Well written relatable characters who lived out a scene far too common in this world. As they deal with the past, it threatens their future, yet there is a way to a happy future, if she chooses to follow the advice of one dear friend. The real pain, the real regrets, the real doubts, all struck a chord in me.
Deb Haggerty
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deb’s Dozen: A ornament every Christmas; a grudge held every year. This year—forgiveness?

I have been a fan of Eva Marie Everson’s since the late 1990s. I’ve read everything she’s written and have fallen in love with many of her characters. The Ornament Keeper is her first book for New Hope Publishers, adding yet another publisher and book to her accomplishments.

Everson wrote a strangely poignant Christmas novella. She uses flashbacks artfully as she takes her characters from Christmas season 201
Taylor Jaxon
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a touching story about a broken marriage of twenty-one years. Instead of discovering the details of what caused Felicia and Jackson's separation all at once, we learn little snippets as Felicia slowly pulls Christmas tree ornaments from a box to decorate her Christmas tree. The marriage had built-in problems from the start. Had Jackson really loved her or had he married her simply to satisfy family? And what about Monica Craig? Wasn't she the real object of his desire since high school? ...more
Taylor Jaxon
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela Walker
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love traditions, and reading about what other families/couples do. Each year of their marriage Jackson gave Felicia an ornament that symbolized something special from that year. After being separated and living apart from her husband of 20 years, her three children encourage Felicia to decorate the Christmas tree per tradition starting with the special ornaments from Jackson forcing her to relive those moments. Told from Felicia's point of view 2018 Christmas season with memories bo ...more
Kathy Bruins
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cover of The Ornament Keeper gets one in the mood for Christmas … simple yet elegant. Eva Marie Everson crafts a story about the effects of separation of people who are deep in the heart of individuals such as family members. In this story (I received an advance copy of the book in order to review), Jackson, the husband of Felicia and father of three children, separates from Felicia. The children are ready to get a tree and decorate it for Christmas because it was a huge part of their holida ...more
Norma
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ornament Keeper—the perfect Christmas gift

I am an ornament keeper. Starting with our first Christmas 43 years ago, my husband and I have given each other ornaments. I was drawn to this book by the title, and because Eva Marie Everson never disappoints. It is a wonderful read, about love, trust, forgiveness, and Christmas miracles. The Ornament Keeper is a must-read Christmas story for any time of year!
Nancy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Their marriage began in ways she never thought of, and raising children took the place of her other dreams. Now as she remembers the stories behind each special ornament, she wrestles with what comes next for her and Jackson. Note: this is a novella, so it may end sooner than you wish.
Jarm Boccio
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m not normally a fan of contemporary fiction, but I had to share this one. Recollections at Christmas lead to a real and relational story with reconciliation at its heart. A perfect gift for the holidays. Or now. The reader won’t be disappointed!
Phyllis
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ornament Keeper by Eva Marie Everson

Mending a marriage through memories

My rating is 4.5 stars

In The Ornament Keeper, Leesha had a very specific way their Christmas tree had to be decorated. You see, each year of their marriage, her husband gave her an ornament. And those 19 special treasures had to be hung by her before any of the other decorations could be added to the tree. But this year, she fought the memories with each one and it took forever for her to accomplish just this simple task.
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2MMh4pN

The Ornament Keeper by Eva Marie Everson is among the best novellas I’ve ever read, with an impact far greater than its size. The writing is strong, characters well drawn, and I was connected emotionally from the first page. Often novellas feel under developed or needing more, but The Ornament Keeper is the complete package.

The story is set during the Christmas season as Felicia, separated from Jackson after twenty years of marriage, reluctan
Phyllis
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is 4.5 stars

The author did such a great job in crafting this story. With ornaments trig

• A Christmas by the Sea
  • Under the Tulip Tree
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Almost Home
  • Catching Christmas
  • The Christmas Swap
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • The Memory House
  • Cross My Heart (A Legacy of Faith #2)
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • The Christmas Angel Project
  • A Rumored Fortune
  • A Match Made at Christmas
  • Who I Am with You (Legacy of Faith #1)
  • If I Were You
  • All of You, Always (Walker Beach Romance #1)
  • The Price of Valor (Global Search and Rescue, #3)
  • A Merry Little Christmas
Eva Marie Everson is a best-selling, multiple award-winning author of both fiction and nonfiction. She is the president of Word Weavers International and the director of Florida Christian Writers Conference and North Georgia Christian Writers Conference. She enjoys teaching and speaking at writers events across the US as well as coaching new writers via her company, Pen In Hand, Inc.

News & Interviews