Start by marking “Srebrenica: Record of a War Crime” as Want to Read:
Srebrenica: Record of a War Crime

Srebrenica: Record of a War Crime

"A chilling testimony to the evil that executed—and the bungling that coud not pevent—an 'ethnic cleasing' massacre, the single worst atrocity in Europe since World War II."—The New York Times Book Review.
Published March 1st 1997 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Srebrenica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Srebrenica

Jenn
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another testament to the uselessness and ineptitude of the UN.
Melvin Roy
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Detailed account of all events that lead up to the massacre in the enclave of Srebrenica. The record is both emphatically and objectively written. It shows empathy in it's power not to judge, but takes a careful account of the decision making process in all parties that played a part in the events while leaving the reader free to make up his mind about the moral issues.

Finished this book finally, gave me goosebumps from start to finish. Why did I read this? That's what I ask myself every now and
Jevada
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't even wrap my head around this all happening when my mother was pregnant with me. And to think my family had to live through this. Some didn't make it. May Allah grant every innocent Muslim that lost their life a place in Jannah. A very detailed account of the plans made against Srebrenica and how the rest of the world turned their cheek to ethnic cleansing.
Minci (Ayurveda) Ahmetovic
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone and not just those interested in history and Bosnian war. This is a book to learn from.

some excerpts....

The vast majority of the Muslim men met a gruesome fate. They were executed and anonymously buried in mass graves, many were tortured before being killed, a small number were put in prisons and only very few managed to escape.
As for final culpability, this must rest squarely on the shoulders of the most senior Serbian politicians and officers. They authorized and organ
Elesa Labanz
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Terrifying to think that this was all going on while I was living just over there in Germany - a 10 hour drive away. I will never understand man's ability - desire - drive - to be cruel to his fellow man. We, as a species, seem uniquely suited to such cruelty.
Amar Kasapovic
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a Bosnian refugee.

This book had three stages for me.

1) Depressing
2) Frustrating
3) Angry

The last two were mostly due to the lack of help. Recommend reading the book to inform people of the brutal atrocity Bosnian had to live through and survive.
Amra Pajalic
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bosnian-content
A great analysis of the factors that led to the genocide in Srebrenica that is told with compassion and understanding.
Jeff Kelleher
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short, clear, even-handed.

In July, 1995 the Bosnian Serb Army under command of General Ratko Mladic conquered the laughably-denominated "safe area" of Srebrenica in Eastern Bosnia, separated the women from the men, and then systematically slaughtered 8000 Muslim men. Thus, for the fourth time in the 20th Century, Christians carried out mass murder, on religious grounds, of non-Christians. The United Nations, whose charter makes it the protector of international peace and security and human right
Aldean
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: students of twentieth century atrocity
A calmy-told narration in harrowing detail of a truly horrendous chain of events. It strains my personal credulity to believe that these events went on in my lifetime, under the watchful gaze of the same world that so universally proclaimed "Never Again" after the end of World War II and all the atrocities that were perpetrated under the Third Reich. This work is impressive in the detached, journalistic tone it maintains throughout.
Gavin
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent book on a horrifying time in the history of the world. One where the world watched until almost too late. That is becoming rather a them every generation or so. Armenia, the Holocaust, Cambodia, Yugoslavia, Rwanda, and now Syria. Lots of other places that I have not mentioned, but we always say never forget! Yet...
Aafke Romeijn
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Fantastic analysis of the tragic events that led up to the genocide in Srebrenica. Reads as a true-crime novel, yet has the nuance and objectivity of an academic study.
Danielle Fogerty
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Good book on how it all went down and they do there best to explain why it all happened
Anna
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Jaku doplněk k Vulliamymu dobrý, samostatně by mi to asi nestačilo. Dost technický, dost zaměřený na jednání mezinárodního společenství.
Peter Owens
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Extremely dry and not put together terribly well; its biggest strength was its quoting of primary source documents, and there were not nearly enough used.
Lucia
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vyborna kniha, hrozne citanie.
Lukáš
Jul 15, 2015
Conor MacDonald
Jun 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“Mladić harboured a particular resentment towards the Dutch, whose successive governments had consistently called for a tougher action against the Serbs since the beginning of the war.
Virtually all the captured men, guilty or not, were executed, an act that con stituted the most serious single war crime in Europe since WWII. Executing prisoners violates Geneva Convention but it is also classified as „crime against humanity“. What is more, there seems little doubt that Serbs intention was genocidal one.”
0 likes
“The most fundamental dillemma of all, which the international community to its detriment never resolved was a moral one. How could one combine moral imperative to alleviate suffering with the moral imperative not to let agression pay? Was it right to have opposed ethnic cleansing and instituted safe areas in eastern Bosnia, if one was unwilling to put one`s life at risk to protect people in those areas?....” 0 likes