Start by marking “The Belles (The Belles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Belles (The Belles #1)

The Belles

(The Belles #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  12,915 ratings  ·  3,548 reviews
Camellia Beauregard is a Belle. In the opulent world of Orléans, Belles are revered, for they control Beauty, and Beauty is a commodity coveted above all else. In Orléans, the people are born gray, they are born damned, and only with the help of a Belle and her talents can they transform and be made beautiful.

But it’s not enough for Camellia to be just a Belle. She wants t
Audible Audio
Published February 8th 2018 by Orion Publishing Group Ltd (first published February 6th 2018)

·  12,915 ratings  ·  3,548 reviews

Emily May
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, arc, 2018
"Don't you want to be beautiful?"

Woah. The Belles is a monster hidden behind a pretty facade of dresses, magic, and beautiful writing. The world and story slowly build through stunning descriptions, as the author peels back the layers of society's obsession with beauty, revealing all the ugliness that lies underneath.

In the fictional world of Orléans, a small number of girls called Belles are able to use magic to create beautiful (or, indeed, ugly) looks to the paying customer's desire. Camel
Emma Giordano
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! I had a lot of fun with this story and cannot wait to see where things go from here!

TW: sexual assault, "bury your gays" trope

The writing style of The Belles is one of it’s most prominent points. The prose is decadent, entrancing, and lavish. For me personally, it was a little too flowery at some points but all around unique and interesting. It’s so sweet, full of detailed descriptions of vibrant and sugary imagery, I almost felt as if I could get a cavity from just reading. I do feel
Roxane
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am guessing this is the first book in a series? A trilogy? All I know is that I want to know what happens next. The Belles is richly, gorgeously detailed in the accounting of the world of Orleans and the Belles, young women who are bred to create beauty amongst the citizenry. It took a bit to get into the book but the last third of the book is absolutely worth the world and character building it takes to get there. In the last third of the book, everything starts falling into place exquisitely ...more
Adam Silvera
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Cannot wait for THE EVERLASTING ROSE.
Cesar
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

"I'd do anything to be beautiful."

The Belles has been on my radar the second I found out about the synopsis. It reminds me a lot of what Tyra Banks tried to do in her novel Modelland. Except, The Belles does it 10,000,000X better. The fictional world Dhonielle created is lush with beautiful descriptions of the world, it's contraptions, the food, everything about it was just so damn near perfect.

As the title says, there are girls known as Belles who can control beauty and can make a person
Lola
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will surprise you.

From the outside, it looks like it was written for princesses-to-be, but the inside is different. Among the lush descriptions of dresses and beautiful people, there is darkness lurking.

I couldn’t stop reading. Camellia has all the qualities a heroine needs: kindness, strength, empathy, determination, courage and the willingness to make a change. Quite evidently, it takes her time to realize the danger she and the other Belles are in, but when she does, she
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I first "wished" for an ARC of this on NetGalley last spring, when the hype started to peak. I was going to email in a request shortly after, when some things were brought to my attention that I'd rather not go into publicly, but made me lose interest pretty quickly. Then, right before the book was released, I randomly had my "wish" approved and cringed, because I didn't want to read this. But, I always promise to give ARCs an honest try, so I decided to go into this as open-minded as possible.. ...more
Samantha
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars! This book was such an addictive, fast-paced read. But I did feel it fell apart towards the end, mostly because the "twists" felt very obvious. The characters also feel a tad flat at times, and some elements of the world building were weak. But overall, an enjoyable read if you want a page turner!

TW: sexual assault, bury your gays trope ft. side character

I will be doing a full review on my channel.
Sabaa Tahir
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will eventually leave a legit review for this, but first I have to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart, which, in case you were wondering, was shattered by Dhonielle and this book. Also I desperately wish post-balloons were real. Read the book and you'll agree. Also Remy. I need Remy to be real, too. NEED SEQUEL YESTERDAY. Pre-order this one, you will be so grateful you did.
Vibur
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tantalisingly sensual.
Clayton paints a captivatingly vivid portrait of sophisticated wealth and extravagant excess in The Belles. I was drawn into the royal court of Orléans—a world of dainty teacups and lavish desserts, a world which dripped gleaming jewels and spilt vibrant blossoms. But its beauty belied the ugliness cutting insidiously deep, rotting it from the inside.
In short, The Belles was superbly atmospheric, the opulence of its settings mirrored in the luxuriant language and glitterin
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I realized I hate repeating myself so here's a whole post on this topic

but anyway: no one is telling you to boycott this, so don't go there. the real point is that I was going to read this while in a horrible mental health stage, it would have been REALLY painful for me, and I am just slightly hurt barely any reviews have mentioned the thing that happens in this book. feel free to look at this review, or just click the spoiler tag:(view spoiler)

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm basically that one friend of yours who keeps threatening to delete their Facebook account but never does, only instead of "delete their Facebook account" replace that with "stop reading YA." After the utter disappointment that was CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE, I decided that I was officially putting everyone's YA reviews on notice. I was tired of getting duped.

And then I read THE BELLES.

THE BELLES is not a perfect book. The first 100 page
Emma
disclaimer: I'm gonna call out something in this book that really pissed me off and has the potential to be pretty harmful, so if you don't want to know anything about the plot don't open this review 🙃🙃🙃

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cait • A Page with a View
I really don't think I've ever found another book like this. It was equal parts disturbing and alluring, so I think it succeeded with the social commentary on what beauty means and just how far we'll go to get it.

The world was absolutely gorgeous! (It kind of reminded me of Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette). Everything was described like some kind of delicious dessert (including the people), which just emphasized the feeling that beauty was something to be consumed.

Camille is one of the Belles
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Edit (2): THERE IS A THIRD BOOK BEING WRITTEN! LET THE HYPERVENTILATING BEGIIINNN!!
Edit: You guys!! megs_bookrack and I are starting a petition to have Dhonielle Clayton to write a third book.
Petition:
*******
This is the book you sit in the cold bath water because you would rather be cold and wet than not know how it ended. This is the book you stay up reading be because you would rather read it than sleep. This is the book that would sacrifice a limb for
megs_bookrack
Horrifyingly beautiful.

Camellia Beauregard is a Belle. A being who can control beauty.

In the world of Orleans, people are born entirely devoid of all color. With red eyes and grey skin, beauty is not natural, unless of course, you are born a Belle. Belles, beautiful themselves are also able, through the use of magic called Arcana, to shape and shift paying customers into glowing examples of beauty.

In the beginning, feeling a bit like The Hunger Games, ((and by a bit, I mean A LOT)) we find Camel
Heather
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
3.75/5

The writing was beautiful and I enjoyed our main character a ton. 🌺
🌹
I did feel like the plot was a little slow throughout the book but it really picked up towards the end of it. I enjoyed the aspect and the overall theme of the book and how it centers around beauty and what is beauty as well as how far people will go to be beautiful.
🌸
💐
There were a few things I didn’t like which is why ultimately I gave this book a ⭐⭐⭐.75 but I still really enjoyed it.
There is a trigger ⚠ for attempted sexu
Nicole
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ya, fantasy, to-continue
I started reading this book right after I saw it for the first time on Goodreads. It promised an enjoyable YA read and gladly, it didn’t disappoint. I didn’t read the whole premise and I’m glad I didn’t because it reveals events that won’t happen till 50% of the book. Yes, the main events and the most relevant to the plot of the series as a whole are introduced at that point but still, we can do it without them and discover them along the way.

What you should know, and what you might need to dec

Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warning: minor fat shaming, negative LGBTQIA+ tropes, torture of humans and animals, unhealthy beauty standards.

This wasn't bad and I will probably read the sequel, but this isn't the type of fantasy I prefer. It has an underexplained magic system and extremely narrow world building. It didn't really live up to what I wanted as far as commentary on beauty standards either.

Audiobook review: I really enjoyed listening to this but honestly that's probably due to my audio addiction because t
c,
Galley provided by publisher

Rep: black mc, wlw side characters

I meant to wait a little while until I was less angry about this book, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, to be quite honest. Actually, scratch angry. I'm fucking furious. I have never been gladder to have been spoiled a character death in my life.

This book is bury your gays. There we go. I said it. It's bury your gays.

(view spoiler)
Erin
You know what the worst thing about reading a book that doesn't come out until February 2018?

I have to wait at least 2 years for the 2nd book.

The Belles is about a society in which a small class of girls control beauty The Belles. I'm not sure if the world in this book is a future version of our world or a fantasy world but I loved it. I don't want to give anything away since it doesn't even come out for 7 months. I will say this though, I think The Belles is going to the book of 2018.

Who do I
Kristen
Okay, I've seen enough. I can't do it anymore. *DNF at 60%*

This started off good enough, albeit extremely, painfully SLOW! Omg, so slow. But that wasn't the worst part. If it were better, I would have taken my good old time and turtled my way through it. However, this book wasn't just slow. It was BORING!

The main character was incredibly unlikable. She was stiff and uptight and had a horrendous superiority complex. We had to listen to her go on and on about how great she is. She was also just k
Roshani Chokshi
*sigh* *shriek* *swoon* <-- phases my brain underwent whilst reading this incredible book.

Longer review to come, but for now, this was the blurb I gave. I really adored it. It's a deliciously horrifying slow burn that will leave you reeling.

"Clayton dances between the fine lines of glittering, glamorous and gruesome. THE BELLES is a dazzling exploration of body power and identity, and a must-read for anyone looking for a lot more bite when it comes to beauty."
Jill
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL WAS THAT? REVIEW TO COME ONCE THE SHOCK FROM THOSE LAST 100 PAGES WEARS OFF
Carrie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton is the first book of the young adult fantasy series by the same name. This series is one that will make readers think on the obsession with beauty in today’s society.

Camellia Beauregard is a young girl who was born into being a Belle, one that holds magic and can control beauty. In Camellia’s world, Orleans, people are born grey and without the beauty they seek and it’s up to Belles like Camellia to cater to the needs of the citizens.

Camellia and her fellow Belle
Tomi Adeyemi
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone online described this book as Marie Antoinette with magic and I would have to agree! Lush, luxurious settings, great prose, a dynamic cast of diverse characters, and scary parallels to our real world. Additionally, I've never read such a diverse fantasy where all different types of beauty are celebrated and exist so seamlessly within the same room. This was the first book I ever got as a reader where picturing everybody in any scene allowed me to picture a diverse array of skin tones and ...more
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Hey guys! In honor of release day, I'm partnering with @disneybooks for The Belle's Blog Tour - and hosting a giveaway for a hardcover + beauty pouch! Click here to enter!

Good luck!!
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
My feelings on this are quite mixed. I liked aspects, but disliked others, was intrigued and excited at times, but also bored at others.

The Good:
POC main character, interesting world, diabolical villain, beautiful descriptions
I liked Camille, and her character growth through the book
There were a fair few plot twists that were great too

The Bad:
The pacing wasn't the best in my opinion, as I said above. i got bored at points
I also think the world building could've been a bit more structured. L
Kassidy
3.5*
This is a very fun and fascinating read!
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a world where beauty rules everything and matters more than anything. In Orléans, the citizens are born gray due to a curse. It is the Belles job to make people beautiful by giving them distinguishing features, hair color/length, eye color, body type, skin tone, etc. It is a Belle’s duty to serve the kingdom. Every Belle wants to be the favorite Belle - the one to serve the Queen and royal family herself, and of course be revered as the most talented and beautiful Belle of all. Will bein ...more
  • Shadowhouse Fall (Shadowshaper, #2)
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Laisrathera (Her Instruments, #3)
  • Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)
  • Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • A Blade So Black (A Blade So Black, #1)
  • The Mark of Noba (The Sterling Wayfairer, #1)
  • By a Charm and a Curse
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Bruja Born (Brooklyn Brujas, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Serpentine #2)
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
Dhonielle Clayton is the co-author of the Tiny Pretty Things series. She grew up in the Washington, DC suburbs on the Maryland side and spent most of her time under her grandmother’s table with a stack of books. A former teacher and middle school librarian, Dhonielle is co-founder of CAKE Literary—a creative development company whipping up decidedly diverse books for a wide array of readers—and CO ...more

The Belles (2 books)
  • The Everlasting Rose (The Belles, #2)
“Be the best without trying to be better than the others.” 27 likes
“Dreams remind us of who we are and how we feel about the things around us.” 16 likes