Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:
Rain

Rain

A poetry collection celebrating the wonders of the natural world

This haiku collection will enchant both nature lovers and budding poets. The spare, lyrical text describes a series of short vignettes, each of them taking place in a different kind of rain, from thunderstorms to falling flower petals. The poems—some serious, some gently humorous—depict scenes from all over
Published October 9th 2018 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

Start your review of Rain
Hilary
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of haiku accompanied by beautiful illustrations about what happens when it rains. There are scenes from all over the world showing different climates, peoples and animals with the theme that we really need the rain but it's lovely when it stops.
Mathew
Swedish artist, architect and poet, Anders Holmers, presents here twelve haikus set in front of a series sweeping, dramatic backdrops and bound my the similar theme of rain. Pressed between two sets of endpapers that display white sheets of rain against a light-grey skyline, Holmer's poetry crosses the globe with each of his double-page spreads depicting lives that break stereotypical norms and bring different meanings to the impact on rain upon them. This is a beautiful little compilation; ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Haiku is a small but perfect way to capture life in words, and Anders Holmer is a master of both haiku and haiku illustrations. In just a few syllables, Holmer uses haiku to share both the hope of life and its inevitable destruction.

Beneath ashes are
seeds for a new forest that
might burn someday too.

Holmer's haiku captures the deep truths to be found in paradox and in the interrelatedness of life.

The horse dreams of oats
while he is plowing the field---
crows carry off seeds.

The illustrations take
Karen
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, poetry
Beautiful words and art
Jarm Boccio
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The gentle Haiku poetry coupled with delicate illustrations depicting scenes from all over the world bring rest to the readers mind— and plenty to ponder. I wish there would have been more pages to the book!
Cate Morton
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rain, written and illustrated by Anders Holmer, is as refreshing as a rainstorm. As a former kindergarten and 2nd grade teacher, I can envision children poring over the detailed paintings finding familiar childhood activities and being introduced to a variety of cultures. The paintings tell stories in and of themselves, but the haikus add a poetic dimension children will easily relate to. The teacher in me immediately saw applications for the classroom or as a read aloud, such as having students ...more
Sandy Brehl
It ticked all the right boxes for me before I even opened the cover: nature, poetry (strongly accessible haiku, in fact), breathtaking art, and a diverse world perspective.
Even if you enlarge the cover, you may struggle to view the minuscule falling particles in the image. These and other suggestions of rain in the various scenes throughout the book are "raining down" on the characters and situations. The characters are as diverse as the locales, and individuals feel to me to be totally
Baby Bookworm
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Rain by Anders Holmer, a lovely look at nature and life in haiku form.

Using the format of the traditional poetry form, each spread offers an expanse of scenery from around the world and a glimpse into the lives of those that inhabit it. A group of humans and reindeer cross a tundra, the youngest calf stopping to discover fresh lichen. A song plays on a car
Tasha
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Haiku tells the story of different types of rain in this poetry picture book. The haiku are all about nature, some about rain directly and others about other things like falling newspapers or cascading petals. The poems form a series of vignettes that show different parts of the world and various environments from the arctic to the Himalayas to the desert. They are bound together with the rhythms of the poems and the journey together to explore rain and our world.

The haiku poems range from
April Hopkins-Canada
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cvtc-kid-lit
I won’t lie, I chose this book because I was literally “judging a book by its cover”. I believe that isn’t always a bad thing, at least when it comes to children’s books. This is of course an astounding collection of poems that all take place in different types of rainy weather. Honestly, I think this is a genius idea for a children’s book. It can be hard to interest children with poetry, but I feel as though this is an easy start. The diversity in the characters is great, and I would recommend ...more
Karen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Simple haiku with light illustrations that provide a look into various things that "rain" down on people. It has universal apeal with various locations and activities represented in the artwork. The unifying theme of rain is that it is a gentle but powerful force with influence in nature. Many tiny droplets can create havoc when combined.

It is a beautiful book with beautiful words, but I feel that this is lost on the average picture book audience. Few children may have the depth or experience to
Elaine Fultz
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-for-kids
Beautiful haiku, somewhat random in subject and geography, but consistently lovely. Illustrations match perfectly.

With a chaotic swirl of puffins, murres(?), and rain of course, as the accompanying artwork, my favorite might be: "Slowly the boat drifts/drifts away from the lighthouse/never tied it up."

Also great, with illustration of fleeing animals and hopeful observation treehouse: "Beneath ashes are/seeds for a new forest that/might burn someday too."

One more. Picture shows sodden family and
Wendy
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
RAIN by Anders Holmer (Eerdmans 2018)

The illustrations are what stand out in Anders Holmer’s RAIN. Even the end papers show a subtle blend of rain with varying sized drops and drizzles. Each double page spread features one haiku and one expansive scene from various places around the world where it is raining: mountain goats on hilltops, a treehouse lookout over forest fires, a boat in the swamp forest, a band playing in a train crossing a trestle bridge. These unique places to live and work are
Ellie Labbett
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book which has reminded me about the power of haikus in capturing a moment and a feeling, immortalising something that may have been unnoticed. Holmer shines a short spotlight on lots of different people experiencing rain in different ways and forms all over the world: from the drifting ashes of burnt trees to a forest of petals floating in the breeze. The language in this is so potent in showing the impact that a few careful words can have. An inspiring piece of art.
Mayaluna
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My four year old and I love this book. There is so much to talk and giggle about! Excellent haikus and illustrations!!! What a treasure. I am so glad the Bosler Memorial library chose to put this book on display!
J G
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and engaging. My favorite part about reading this with my kids was the pause between reading the haiku and turning the page. We all took time to soak in the poem and notice tiny details in the illustrations.
Jillian
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a pretty good book for introducing the concept of Haiku in a classroom, but even then it doesn't seem great for a big group read. (The illustrations are a bit.... bland? To be seen from a distance.)

I *did* really like the poem about fire, though.
Kathy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I appreciated the concept that rain falls all over the world on all kinds of people, with varying forms of matter but I wanted more flow between the pages of haiku.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book of haiku's is really beautiful, it's delicate and subtle and quite moving. With beautiful illustrations and a dream like feel to every page, definitely recommended!
Miss Sarah
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A preschool and up book about a rain storm hitting a mountain town and how different residents react.
Marina
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
So pretty. And the haiku accompanying each two-page spread was perfect to describe the scene. A seamless blend of poetry and illustration.
mary dewley
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Wondrous depiction of rain in all its forms as seen from around the world. The gentle haiku lulls the listener as they enjoy the fluid illustrations as a traveler within the book.
Kris
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous collection of haiku with really unique and beautiful artwork.
Yentl ♥
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book of haikus! The illustrations are beautiful and I like that they are scenes from all over the world.
Aliza Werner
A trip around the world while it’s raining. Written in haiku, it would be a great mentor text for poetry units.
Gwen
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just really not my style. Other than in a classroom I don’t see this being too great to read to kids. It lost my attention (and my daughter’s pretty quick).
Eloise Battey
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rain takes you on a journey around the world, showing snippets of everyone’s day. The illustrations take over and show a range of landscapes whilst focusing on everyday life.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sumptuously illustrated collection of haiku celebrating nature. Originally published in Sweden.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A unique story told in Haiku about different versions of rain. Would make a great read aloud for a poetry unit.
Kim
Showing rain/snow in different cultural scenes with Haiku for each scene. Beautifully illustrated.

• My Heart