Start by marking “Trouble No Man” as Want to Read:
Trouble No Man

Trouble No Man

American War meets Into the Wild in Brian Hart’s epic saga of one man’s struggle to survive a hostile world—tracing his path from a self-destructive, skateboarding youth in the 90s to the near future as he journeys across a desolate, militia-controlled American West to find his missing family—perfect for fans of Edan Lepuki and Cormac McCarthy.

In the America of a near futu
Published January 29th 2019 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Trouble No Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble No Man

Mel (Epic Reading)
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as maybe-to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m intrigued as I love dystopian. But The Road went sooo badly for me that I’m terrified to try this... (it was the cannibals and extreme peril of the little boy that did me in with The Road...)
Denny
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trouble No Man surprised me in the best way possible. Most of the Goodreads recommendations I've read have been underwhelming, but this one, wow, knocked my socks off.

Protagonist Roy Bingham (variously referred to as R, M, Roy, & most often simply the man) is a free-spirited, independent, adventure-seeking skateboarder, surfer, and loner, and Hart often uses language specific to those lifestyles that is dense and may sometimes be difficult to decipher for readers, like me, who know nothing o
Brian
Magnificently vivid and disturbingly plausible, Trouble No Man is a standout in dystopian fiction, a post-punk Western chronicling one man's decline and fall amid an empire's. Brian Hart is the rare literary talent who can move readers with subtle knowledge of both tenderness and horror. A deeply impressive, insightful work of realism.
Nicole Wagner
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my heart race, made me nauseous, made me uncomfortable. I feel very small after finishing it; horrified, yet rebelliously optimistic, like the angel of denial is on my shoulder and I'm resigned to living like the atmosphere described in this book could never become a possibility. Still, I'm seeing this book's atmosphere emerging in areas of my own country as well as abroad every single day, and the news is really overwhelming, so I tune out in order to maintain positive momentum. ...more
Edwin Howard
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TROUBLE NO MAN, by Brian Hart, is an emotional rollercoaster that follows Roy Bingham at four different points in his life over forty years. Spanning from the 1990's through a near future where militia control dominates the land, the reader experiences love, hate, betrayal, hope, desperation, addiction, and pure animalistic survival.
Roy Bingham made some bad choices early is his adult life, a lot of bad choices, but as he has grown older, he has learned to savor the life he has and hold onto t
Penny Wright
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure where I originally heard of this upcoming novel, but as soon as I read the synopsis I contacted Harper Perennial to request a review copy. I had never heard of the author, Brian Hart, but he was being compared to Cormac McCarthy, one of my favorite writers; the plot was also post-apocalyptic, which is my favorite genre. I knew immediately that I wanted to read this, and am very grateful to the publisher for sending me a copy.

The aspect of this book that I enjoyed the most was the mu
Karla
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 ***
Note: I received an advance reader copy of the book from the LibraryThing early reviewers program.
This novel of the near-future throws the reader right into a constantly changing time-stream that skips around over 4 decades and it's sink or swim to try and figure out what (more like wtf) is going on. After a while, you get the story sorted out and the 'crazy' gets better as you figure out the main characters - a guy named Roy who is a messed up skateboarder, a girl named Karen who he fa
Jill
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Extremely confusing as the author bounces you from "Roy" to "Man," from "present day" to a world that has fallen apart by militias. I had to read several different descriptions to realize what was supposed to be happening over the course of this book.

The second half of this read was redeeming as it all finally begins to come together. The uncanny realness of the situations occurring is all too close to plausible. The dog was the only character I felt a stake in.

*Disclaimer: a review copy of this
Meg
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is disturbingly plausible as it follows four decades of Roy Bingham's life. The erosion and degradation of America through that time makes Roy's struggles even more desperate. There are times of tenderness and love, but this is primarily a dark novel of what could happen in the future. I received this novel as part of the Goodreads Giveaway program.
Jim
MJ
Jan 14, 2019
  • Dark Advent
  • The House of One Thousand Eyes
  • Dawn (Final Awakening, #1)
  • Ember
  • New Charity Blues
  • Tiny Hats on Cats: Because Every Cat Deserves to Feel Fancy
  • The Search for Heinrich Schlögel
  • Light Years
  • The Professors' Wives' Club
  • Pocketful of Posies (Ashes, Ashes, #2)
  • All the Castles Burned
  • Day After Disaster (The Changing Earth, #1)
  • Eliot Ness: The Rise and Fall of an American Hero
  • World, Chase Me Down
  • The Wasteland Saga (The Wasteland Saga #1-3)
  • Depth