Start by marking “The Illuminated Rumi” as Want to Read:
The Illuminated Rumi

The Illuminated Rumi

Rise up nimbly and go on your strange journey to the ocean of meanings...

In the mid-thirteenth century, in a dusty marketplace in Konya, Turkey, a city where Muslim, Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist travelers mingled, Jelaluddin Rumi, a popular philosopher and scholar, met Shams of Tabriz, a wandering dervish.  Their meeting forever altered the course of Rumi's life and
Published October 13th 1997 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Illuminated Rumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illuminated Rumi

Start your review of The Illuminated Rumi
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
I love this book. I love this book. I. Love. This. Book.

I have had it for a long time and I pick it up every so often and find myself flipping back and forth through the pages, and before I know it an hour has past. The poetry and illustrations are a perfect mix. Alone Rumi can be overwhelming, but with images it is much easier to absorb.

I have lived on the lip of insanity,
Wanting to know reasons,
knocking on a door.

opens

I've been knocking from the inside!

Rumi lived in Turkey in the mid
Patrick Gibson
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The illustrations - superb.
The poetry - sublime.

"In the orchard and rose garden

I long to see your face.

In the taste of Sweetness

I long to kiss your lips.

In the shadows of passion

I long for your love.

Oh! Supreme Lover!

Let me leave aside my worries.

The flowers are blooming
with the exultation of your Spirit.

By Allah!

I long to escape the prison of my ego

and lose myself
in the mountains and the desert.

These sad and lonely people tire me.

I long to revel in the drunken frenzy of your love
and feel the
Susan
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-five-stars
"Be notorious. You've tried prudent planning long enough."

"I don't regret how much I love and I avoid those who repent their passion."

"Many people travel to Syria and Iraq and meet only hypocrites.
Others go all the way to India and see just merchants buying and selling.
Others go to Turkistan and China and find these countries filled with sneak-thieves and cheats.
We always see the qualities that are living in us."

"When we talk about God we're like a school of fish discussing the possible
Jasmine
one of my favorites.

something maybe to do with sufis and past lives...

beautiful art combined with the words of rumi. who often brings tears to my eyes any day of the week

ma'salam ya habibi
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, poetry, owned
Some of these illustrations are so wonderful and amazing. And yet, to me at least, the poetry itself is so evocative that some of the pictures, lovely as they are, actually limit the images already springing forth from my mind. But some are so wonderful.

I should read this book more often.
Christina
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is sort of a trippy way of reading rumi. The visuals add to the overall experience of the poem, but they do overpower the small typeface this book uses for most of the poems.

I think I like the poem The Guest House best from this collection.
Heidi
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I'll meet you there."

This is my favorite verse from "The Illuminated Rumi", a beautifully translated and illustrated edition of selected verses by the 13th-century Persian poet. Coleman Barks and Michael Green, respectively, did real justice to the poems contained in this collection.
Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Though these illuminated pages are based on the versions of Rumi by Barks, each page is worth a diving into to swim in beauty, and the glorious visual imagery alone takes you closer, closer, closer...
Carlé
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Coleman Barks is the only translator I will read from now into the hereafter.
Amir kasravi
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Translation of poem and concept of profound mystical experinces, often strips the words of its original cultural value and meaning, leaving a mere conceptual shadow of the orginal word.
Annette
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Always inspiring to see how other's visualize the essence of Rumi's message... this is a beautifully illustrated work, yet the words themselves paint the greatest pictures!
Satyajeet
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! Astonishing illustrations, coupled with Rumi's poetry.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I always surf the internet for inspirational quotes and I always find Rumi's quotes beautiful. But I didn't love this book, not the quotes or where it was headed. Not the illustrations though at first they look good, but all in all, they are not related to Islam. You see I am Muslim, and Sufism is a branch in Islam dedicated only for Allah, which has many meanings such as "Pure Wisdom". I felt the authors/translators going more into the "brotherly love" between Shams and Rumi and losing the true ...more
Kerfe
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: visual-arts, poetry
I was attracted by the illustrations of Rumi's poetry, which echo and illuminate the enigmatic text.

"We are the mirror as well as the face in it."

Word images of thought and collages of open question merge and complement each other.
Rob
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poems
While I normally love the combination of image and text, I found myself distracted by the illustrations in this book. This was my first experience with Rumi, and I'm eager to try another collection, but this time without the images.
manic_reader
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I really liked how the book was put together, the artwork and little anecdotes about Rumi and Shams.
Term explanations in the begging of a chapter also make the reading experience much better.
Jeff
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books I often recommend to people new to Rumi. The marriage of the text and illumination is stunning - definitely the best book of this type I've ever experienced.
Benjiman Miles
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to be uplifted and inspired, read this book.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sandy by: Linda Markle
Rumi, Rumi - were you a real person? How I wish I could have known you and talked to you and spent time in your presence. Oh to breathe the same air you breathed.
Jen
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and always good to browse through when you are feeling low.
Shikha
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stringer pull of what you really love."

"When soul rises into lips, you feel the kiss you've wanted."

I connect to Rumi's proses and poems so well, it feels like he is conversing with me. I loved each and every line of the book. Its not enough to read only once.
Gabriel Iqbal
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a 1000 suns... even then it is not enough in comparison to a spirited soul - Rumi was one such being whose torch of love was excited by Shams. Now the world is illuminating by the passion Rumi expresses...God Speed... Coleman my friend we will met in a garden far beyond doings of right and wrong... then we will dance and sing and make merry... and share bliss and grace...With oceans of love - Gabriel
Ayesha Fatima Nava
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anything Rumi has written, is already beautiful. But accompanied with these gorgeous drawings, it makes his words come alive. This book brought peace to my soul. I love to randomly open it, and read what I find. Every word is powerful. I am very proud to own this beautiful book. The art is also breathtaking.
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I actually lost my original copy of this book, so I am on the hunt for it. But the memory of this collection of Rumi poetry and art lingers strong.

It is a lovely introduction to the poetry of Rumi as the poems are isolated by art, and the reader's pace slows as the words and images are enjoyed in concert.
Diana Bogan
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm so grateful to the friend who loaned me this book. I've seen Rumi quoted prolifically, but I'd never actually read a body of his work before. I liked the quotes I'd previously seen; but seeing the full tapestry of his words has drawn me into a new love affair.
Julia
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The actual Rumi was great: he's so introspective while still speaking directly to you. It's like he's looking at God by staring directly into your eyes. The commentary was a little too mythological for my taste, so I stopped reading it.
Erik Brown
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Come, come, whoever you are! Wanderer, worshipper, Lover of Leaving, come. This is not a caravan of despair. It doesn't matter if you've broken your vow a thousand times, still come, and yet again come!"
Dianne
Jan 17, 2011 added it
Shelves: spiritual
SO gorgeous - to open at any page, fine to read from the back (which I love), possibly forever on my 'currently reading' list. Although, now it's due at the library so I will return; I especially recommend reading this at the same time as FORTY RULES OF LOVE: A NOVEL OF RUMI.
Karen Lee
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a joy to meet yourself in poetry. Since words can only point, Rumi provides a way to get drunk on spirit in the most delightful way.
Mikal Myers

• Cheeking My Meds
  • Anneewakee: One Boy's Journey
  • I'm A Little Brain Dead
  • The House on Dale Street: My time in Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī - also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master") and more popularly simply as Rumi - was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian and Sufi mystic who lived in Konya, a city of Ottoman Empire (Today's Turkey). His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's ...more