Start by marking “One Monster After Another” as Want to Read:
One Monster After Another

One Monster After Another

Sally Ann's letter to Lucy Jane goes on a fantastic journey when a "Stamp-Collecting Trollusk" steals it from the mailbox.
Published May 15th 2002 by Brighter Child (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about One Monster After Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Monster After Another

Start your review of One Monster After Another
Cynthia
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was my favorite book as a child. I can remember my babysitter refusing to re-read it multiple times a night. Its a very fun story with lovely illustrations. The story is about a letter being sent from one friend to another and the letter's journey while, stamp collecting monsters, paper eating monsters, and monster eating monsters all get in the way. The book was out of print for several decades so I'm glad to see it is once again in print.
Erica
This may have been the most intriguing book of my childhood and I would love to get my hands on a copy now that I'm all growed-up. I suspect that I only saw half of the things in each picture; we'd pore over every page for minutes on end, encouraging each other to find what we saw and we did this with alarming regularity. Yet, I'm willing to wager that I won't recognize even half the hidden treasures in each illustration.
Also, I still worry about the safety of my letters once they leave the post
Josh
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i lived in this book for a while.
Luann
Sep 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Sally Ann puts a letter to her best friend Lucy Jane in the mailbox, but a Stamp-Collecting Trollusk steals it before the mailman can pick it up. The story then follows the letter as it is snapped up by a Letter-Eating Bombanat, grabbed by a Bombanat-Munching Grumley, sucked up by a Wild-'n'Windy Typhoonigator, etc., etc. A great one for reading aloud with fun word choices including many author-created words. I also enjoyed Mayer's fun detailed illustrations.
Kathryn
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: alltimefavorites
I absolutely LOVE this book, it is everything I would ever want a childrens story to be... It has amazing artwork, a crazy story, made up words, and of course wonderful dry wit "nothing ever happens around here."

Everyone with children and even those without should read this book!!!!
Mir
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, favorite
A little girl's letter is stolen by one monster after another but eventually reaches its intended recipient.
Terri
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit
Good stuff. Marvelous illustrations.
Jonas
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. Beware the typhoon-a-gator.
Strange and silly circular tale filled with silly imaginary creatures. Sally Ann sends a letter to her friend, but before the letter is picked up by the mailman, a stamp-collecting creature steals the letter setting off a long journey of the letter.
Amilia
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This delighted myself and my boys while in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I had no idea Mercer Mayer had books that weren't about the fluffy hamster things.
Sara
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favourite Childrens' book EVER! My copy has been read to the point that it is held together by tape. I began reading it to my son shortlhy after we brought him home from the hospital and now it's one of his favourites.
Mercer Meyer creates fatastic, whimsical characters. The typhonigator is one of my personal favourites , but readers of this book won't soon forget the Paper munching Yalapapus, the Trolusk collecting Grithix or the Letter Eating Bombanat. The creatures are so
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great imaginative monster book by Mercer Mayer, this one is a story about a girl who writes a letter to her friend. It gets intercepted by all sorts of monsters along the way. Another reviewer mentioned that it seems Mayer is channeling Seuss with all the crazy made-up words in this book and I'll have to agree with her. I like that he included a dodo in the background of a couple pages of the book, in addition to the Stamp Collecting Trollusk, Letter-Eating Bombanat, and the ...more
Melanie
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one you have to be careful with. The pictures are kind of crazy, and that's what makes it so good. But I could see them sort of bothering the super imaginative kids out there. None of the monsters are actually mean, they just want to eat the paper or steal the stamp from the envelope... so really it's all in good fun. The pictures are AMAZING. If you run across a copy of this book- buy it, it's hard to find!
Camden
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Morgan discoverd this on a recent visit to my Mom's. What memories! The stamp-collecting trollusk steals Sally Anne's letter and then ensues the hunt by other paper-eating, letter-munching monsters. Or monster-munching monsters like the wild-n-windy Typhoon-a-gator. Love it.

Too bad it's out of print and starts at $40 for a used paperback. Hard back in good shape are around $65!
Julianne
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
My niece's family LOVES this children's book, so I picked it up and read it to myself. It was OK. Later I read it aloud to my mom. What a difference! It definitely needs to be shared! The pictures of all the monsters are great, but the names of the monsters are the best! Get this book and read it to a child.

Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: monsters, 2010, childrens
This story follows a letter's fantastic journey as it is intercepted again and again by various monsters on its way to its destination. The monsters are reminiscent of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and the story is funny and fantastic.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This story is about a girl named Sally Ann who wrote a letter to her friend Lucy Jane, but it gets intercepted by a bunch of monsters a long the way.
I love the illustrations. You'll have to read the book to find out what happens to Lucy Jane's letter.
Christopher Clough
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of top 10 favorite books of all time. Great story, amazing illustrations...almost the perfect children's book. Reading my childhood copy of this to my nieces, with crayon scrawl courtesy of my little sister (now 37, yikes!), was amazing...and they love it as much as I did.
Sean
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books as a child. Though at the time I was more interested in the fantastic illustrations of monsters than the story itself. But upon reading it again as an adult I can see why i loved this book so much when i was a kid.
Terry
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, there's the Trollusk and the Bombanat and the Typhoonigator to "like," among others. I asked the first graders if they thought the letter writer and the letter reader were monsters, too. "NO!" was there resounding response.
Nathaniel Hardman
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before the Little Critter books, Mercer Mayer wrote and illustrated a few books that are absolutely beautiful. The pictures in this book are so detailed and so imaginative, that it's just a delight to read (especially with a little kid).
Jason Martian
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My childhood favorite.
Jackie Munzar
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another fantastic book from Mayer featuring characters from the fabulous 'Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zimperumpazoo.' Outstanding illustrations and a charming story.
Alexis
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Lots of silly fun words. The pictures go well with the story and have lots of cute "background actors".
Don Byron
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book! After 35+ years, I still remember the "wild and windy typhoonigator" and the "stamp collecting trollusk." Mercer Mayer is classic childhood!
Sara
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I remember Grandma Clark reading it to me.
Allen
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I still own my original copy of this, from when I was a kid. I intend to read it to my child, in the hope that it expands his vision of the world, like it did me. Love this book!!!
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think this might possibly have been my favorite book as a kid. EVER. PERIOD!
Meri
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you have kids, get this book. It's brilliant!!!
Patrick Colorcrayons
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The most imaginitive and artistically creative childrens book I have ever read, and thus the best.

• The Gruffalo
  • Bears in the Night
  • Pajama Time!
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Amazonia
  • Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9)
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • Time for Bed
  • Walt Disney's Three Little Pigs (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Bear Scouts
  • Little Blue Truck
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
  • The Mayan Secrets (Fargo Adventures, #5)
  • Lord of Misrule
  • Synapse
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Lightkeepers
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then