Start by marking “The Way You Make Me Feel” as Want to Read:
The Way You Make Me Feel

The Way You Make Me Feel

From the author of I Believe in a Thing Called Love, a laugh-out-loud story of love, new friendships, and one unique food truck.

Clara Shin lives for pranks and disruption. When she takes one joke too far, her dad sentences her to a summer working on his food truck, the KoBra, alongside her uptight classmate Rose Carver. Not the carefree summer Clara had imagined. But maybe
Published May 8th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux Byr

To ask other readers questions about The Way You Make Me Feel, please sign up.
Emmy As of May 2018 the book is available to read.

Lola
If you’re looking for a poignant YA contemporary book, step away.

I’ll direct you towards other new releases, such as A Girl Like That, I Have Lost My Way or Girl Made of Stars.

But if what you’re looking for is for a read that is going to take your mind off of your finals that are coming up, if only for a couple of hours, I welcome you to step forward.

This book makes food trucks look ten times more delicious than restaurants. I admit I never saw their worth before. It’s too bad there aren’t any
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
First of all, how gorgeous is this cover? Second, this was genuinely one of the most heartwarming novels I have read in a very long time, and I hope that every YA contemporary fan will pick it up and give it a shot!

I hated when my dad gendered the stupid truck. To retaliate, I called my boobs Brock and Chad, which my dad hated with equal fervor.

First of all, Clara is absolutely hilarious. She’s so awkward, and cynical, and weird, and her sense of humor is so similar to the way mine was at that
Cait • A Page with a View
This is everything I love about contemporary YA and look for in a summer read. It's like an adorable love note to LA, food, and families that ends with the most beautiful messages. Basically, it's one of those feel-good reads that's in no way forced or super cheesy (yay).

Clara starts out the story as the class clown who treats everything like a joke as a way to separate herself from "feeling the real stuff." She gets into a fight at prom with Rose, a girl she despises for trying too hard/caring

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 15%

Do you like nasty, selfish, intolerant, mean-spirited, self-absorbed piece of shit heroines who don't care about anyone but themselves and take a savage glee in making everyone around them miserable? Then read THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL by Maurene Goo. Otherwise, throw this book in a fire.

It's been ages since I was repulsed by a book so much. The premise sounded amazing. I love food trucks. I love diverse YA. I like mischievous, pra
Yusra  ✨
Jun 17, 2018 marked it as no-thanks  ·  review of another edition
you can be as diverse as you like but if you’re going to be ignorant towards a religion mmm no

bye
Heather
3 1/2

This was just a light, adorable read! I loved the food truck aspect as well!!
alexandra ling
(sometime in 2017): I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS ABOUT BUT THE COVER IS SO WONDERFUL AND THE MODEL IS ASIAN AND I WANT IT NOOOWWWWW omg

(after finishing): this book is a love letter to LA and so much more I'M SO EMO. i literally cried while reading it; it was so unexpectedly emotional and beautiful. definitely one of my favorites of the year/ever. BRB CRYING.

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Thank you, Macmillan, for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

People who would be there for you even when you messed up and behaved like a jerk? They were the good stuff.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who noticed that people of color (e.g. Koreans, Filipinos, and more) are becoming popular in literature nowadays. Readers continue to crave for more diverse books, whether it be in regards to race, sexuality, and religion. With that in mind, books like this are great
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Okay, I have a confession to make: The main reason why I couldn't enjoy this book was because the humor was totally lost on me. I know so many other people found this book to be really funny, and it kind of makes me sad that I didn't. At all.Maybe this means I'm mature? MUAHAHA who am I kidding!?

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
The heroine annoyed the heck out of me. I honestly can't believe Clara's just around my age. She made me feel really old and all grown up which I'm not at all. She was spoiled, brat
Norah Una Sumner
tw// absolutely disgusting and ignorant misuse of pork

Adding the mentioned scene in spoilers.

(view spoiler)
Monica
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
this is such a perfect summer read! i adored the characters and the story. clara, our main character, is refreshing in her brashness and confidence. one thing that i love about this book is that it shows a totally different type of asian american family that’s more relaxed as opposed to worrying about achievements. in fact, that’s really not part of the story at all! i loved clara’s dad too! i loved that he was supportive and kind and never fell into that icky toxic dad trope of protecting his d ...more
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
This was so cute! I didn't love it as much as I Believe In A Thing Called Love, but it was still a fun contemporary. It'd be a perfect summer read. Despite my tendency to rebelliously love the YA absent parent trope, I really loved Clara's dad. Maurene Goo has a way of writing dad characters that I would literally die for. Clara's mom didn't receive the reprimanding that I wished she'd get in the story, but I think I was just projecting what I would've done. I loved that the book focused on the ...more
Stacee
I got sucked in by that cover and the synopsis and couldn’t wait to get to it.

I liked Clara. She’s quite an interesting character. She’s snarky and maybe a little rude, but there’s a lot of potential. I really enjoyed reading her grow from a bratty teenager to someone who knows themselves a bit better and is ready to make changes. Rose and Hamlet were the perfect complements for Clara and the scenes with the three of them together were fun. Hands down, Clara’s dad Adrian was the best.

Plot wise
Faith Simon
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a way that one expects, this is a cute, summer read featuring a cute romance and a feathery light plotline and execution to read through all in one sitting. However, this book delivered way more than I expected from the way this book is marketed. It's got the cute premise that resembles the TATBILB series, and the Korean background and diversity, which is of course always nice to see. It's great to see cute and happy books like these with POC main characters and background characters be so we ...more
Anais Stewart
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love character driven YA novels with representation
This book is certainly more of a “deep” contemporary, and it’s one of those YA romances that I love to read.

Oddly enough, during the beginning of this book I was getting Lizzie Mcguire vibes. Clara and Rose’s hate filled relationship felt so catty and high school. Similar to Lizzie and Kate, there were some bad disses and “burns.” Though this story is reminiscent of other YA tropes, I wasn’t overly agitated with the beginning of the book or other instances of tropes used. I actually fe
brain cell
(bangs fists on glass) THIS COULD’VE EASILY BEEN GAY! the whole enemies-to-friends-to-lovers trope bw rose and clara was RIGHT there, miss maureen goo. but no, you just had to add in that unnecessary straight romance. the chemistry between rose and clara was, like, off the charts. fuck that hamlet guy.

clara, focus your stupid horny energy on rose?? that’s the love of your life?? hello??

it’s kind of jarring, seeing how this was most definitely supposed to be read with hetero goggles on but my stu
Lisa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arc
I loved every INCH of this book. It's sweet and funny and full of pranks and pure joy. Clara has such a clear, distinct voice; there's no other character is YA lit like her right now, and I absolutely couldn't get enough.

This book has real depth too - why we hold things at arms length and why caring about this is so hard.

PICK UP THIS BOOK. You won't regret.
Very highly recommended.
Kelly
There are no white people in this story, first and foremost.

Second: this is a really fun and funny read about friendships, about leaning into your real emotions, into family and love, and into finding your first true love (even if you're not able to say you love them). Totally a feel-good read, and I loved how much Clara learned over the course of one summer. She lives with her dad who is young, yearns to see her young "influencer" mother, and then discovers how much of a badass her dad has been
Romie
In this huge city, there were three people in this truck who mattered a lot to me. I’d protect that little part of the universe for as long as possible.

This book was so adorable? Think of the sweetest ice cream you’ve ever tasted and had some chocolate on top of it, that’s how sweet. It just made me feel really happy and hopeful, I don’t know why, but reading about Clara made smile so much and I loved every second of it.

This story is about nearly 17-year-old Korean-American Clara, self-proclaime
Acqua
The Way You Make Me Feel is one of the best YA contemporary romances I've ever read. It had everything I want from this genre: memorable characters, developed romantic and non-romantic relationships, diversity, a fresh premise and atmosphere.
It's been a while since I've read a book that made me smile so much, and it was exactly what I needed. It's a light read - I finished it in less than two days - and a well-written one.

What makes this book stand out are the characters. Clara Shin is a rebelli
Dahlia
Oh, that was delightful. (And amen to everyone who gave the heads-up that it has the hottest YA dad ever.) I'm so happy Goo's on the rom com-a-year track and I hope she never stops. This was fun and hilarious and sweet and no, I didn't always like Clara (A+ to Rose for the verbal lashing about cooking vegetarian stuff in a pan that had pork), but I did root for her and I definitely rooted for Rose, Hamlet, and, of course, Pai <3 God, that just made me so happy. What a feel-good read <3
Kate Olson
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL is friendship, first love, father-daughter relationships and FOOD all wrapped up in a fast-paced and smart (and sometimes sassy) multicultural story in LA. I loved everything about this one and highly recommend it to fans of romantic comedies! And don't miss Goo's last book ~ I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE ~ I adored that one as well!
Eliza
What an adorable sweet book this was so cute and fluffy contemporary this was this is exactly what I need it right now
Laura (bbliophile)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
The Way You Make Me Feel is an incredibly good and adorable read, full of yummy food descriptions, and it should definitely be on your summer TBR.

I didn’t have very high expectations going into this book, since I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Goo’s previous book, was a 3-star read for me. This book sounded a bit more exciting (I love it when books have food-related elements) but I definitely didn’t expect to love it as much as I did. I was sucked into the book from the start, and finished it i
Alexa
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL! It was charming. It was sweet. It made me laugh. It (totally) made me cry. It was also surprisingly easy to relate to, especially considering the fact that Clara and I are very different people. It was just such a great read, and I'd highly recommend checking it out!
Karina
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, diverse
4.5

**I want to thank MacMillan Publishing and Ate Tin of The Book Maiden for hosting this blog tour and for giving me the opportunity to participate. This, by any means, did not affect nor influence my review.

The Way You Make Me Feel took me by surprise. I have read I Believe in a Thing Called Love last year. It was fun, has a great father-daughter relationship and friendship goals but I was still disappointed with some aspects so I was a bit scared to pick this up. I didn’t hope for anything. L
Kate
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
4/5stars

This was GREAT! I loved it! I'm so happy I ended up preordering it and reading it ASAP (even if it took me a bit to get through with how busy I was).

The biggest thing I enjoyed was how completely different from her first book this was and how unique it was. I feel like many YA contemporary authors write just the same story over and over and recycle characters - but all of these characters were fresh and new and different!

I also REALLY enjoyed the conversation that was in this book about
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
Full review in my book blog.

Thanks to the publisher at Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book for free in exchange for an honest review
autumn
i cant imagine loving a maurene goo book less than 5 stars. her style is just so in sync with everything i love! food, california, adorable dads, heart-warming friendships, sweet romances, characters who are just plain fun - she does it all!! 💖💖💖💖💖💖
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this is one of the best covers of 2018
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • American Panda
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
Maurene Goo grew is the author of several acclaimed young adult novels, including I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE and THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and cat, Maeby.
“The first woman president has to happen in my lifetime, or I'm going to light this entire planet on fire.” 5 likes
“It's easy not to be disappointed when you're always wading in the shallow end of feelings.” 5 likes