Start by marking “When You Are Brave” as Want to Read:
When You Are Brave

When You Are Brave

An inspiring picture book affirmation about having courage even in difficult times, because some days, when everything around you seems scary, you have to be brave.

Saying goodbye to neighbors. Worrying about new friends. Passing through a big city. Seeing a dark road ahead. In these moments, a young girl feels small and quiet and alone. But when she breathes deeply and
Published March 5th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When You Are Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Are Brave

Start your review of When You Are Brave
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! An inspiring and uplifting children’s book!

This children’s story helps little readers to understand that there will be times in life that they feel worried, scared, anxious or nervous and that’s ok! This powerful little book provides young minds with some simple and effective tools on how to deal with stressors in their life and bravely overcome situations that may seem intimidating.

This was perfect timing for my five-year-old daughter who currently faces challenges with feeling
Desiree
This is a wonderfully simple book that helps little ones flex their courage muscles. The sparse text really allows the reader to immerse themselves in the illustrations. The illustrations start off darkly colored, denoting the unknown and not seen. The illustrations begin to shift towards the end of the book as the little girl finds her courage. Great book for children starting new adventure, what ever they are.
Mary Lee
Great book for studying the mood in the illustrations, and the metaphors in the text. Great message about being brave.
Paul  Hankins
"Make your courage so big/it brightens your heart,/fills your fingers, and flows to your toes" (from the back dust jacket copy).

Many times, as encouraged by reader-leaders like Michigan's Travis Jonker (who gives us The Undies), we are quick to take the dust jacket off of a new picture book in order to see if the case is presented differently or with a unique design or touch. I, not a reader-leader, am going to try to convince you to wait until the end of Pat Zietlow Miller's WHEN YOU ARE BRAVE
Linda
How can I share how wonderful this book is? The brief descriptions of scared feelings and the how-to find courage need nothing more than to be shared. Following this young girl as she leaves her home and says goodbye, moving to "what?" can be frightening, yet as the hours go, Pat Zietlow Miller fills the pages with the way to find one's courage and Eliza Wheeler's illustrations show the feelings in big and bold paintings. Imagining the finding of courage means the searching for that tiny light, ...more
Effie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous and the text is beautifully written. A very comforting book for someone transitioning to something new. I loved the way this book teaches that every time we're brave it allows us to remember our bravery and build on it for the next time we need to be brave. Illustrations of the girl looking at a photo album and seeing past moments when she was brave as she's in a car traveling to a new home, where a new bout of bravery is needed, support this. Also I ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
There are days when everything may seem really scary.

Things may seem…

“Too big. Too loud. Too hard. Too much.”

Sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to do like standing alone in front of a crowd or taking a bus all by yourself to school.

But, you can be brave.

In this story, a young girl and her family have to say goodbye to their beloved home and embrace a new home. She looks within and takes a deep breath. She finds the courage from within to face her fears and to be brave. This
Kelly
I like so many of Miller's books. This is not high on the list. The story is a little broad, and I fear that children may not get it.
Jana
Life can be scary for everyone and this awesome picture book uses a relateable story and gorgeous illustrations to help young readers learn to cope with overwhelming fears. The little girl in the story is moving away to a new neighborhood, but as she reflects on some of the other scary times that she has faced and looks inside herself to find that spark that becomes the glow that helps her find her way out of the dark times, she calms down and finds herself experiencing hope and joy. This book ...more
Margie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-a-day
Depending on any given situation we need, throughout our lives, all kinds of courage. It comes in all shapes and sizes; a little bit is welcome here and a whole bunch is imperative there. What we find daunting, others may accept with ease. It is most important to remember everyone, without exception, needs courage. Finding that necessary strength is the key to unlocking our potential.

When a family moves, all the changes and all the unknowns, regardless of a sense of adventure some feel, are
Maria Marshall
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
The text and illustrations combine to create a tender, uplifting story. Pat Zietlow Miller created a beautiful, uplifting poem about the bravery required when you are faced with "days full of things you'd rather not do." And Eliza Wheeler add magical illustrations that provide the plot of a child's family moving far away to a new home and discovering the spark (her bravery) within herself. This is a great book for anyone needing a boost in confidence, young and old, and a wonderful addition to ...more
Becky
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
There will always be changes in a child’s life that seem scary and where courage is needed to overcome. A sweet story that addresses this very premise and shows readers what happens when you push through your fears.
Dimity Powell
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
I am always completely enchanted by the creations of these two, Miller and Wheeler; their beautiful unions of words and pictures draw you deep into the spirit of the story and allow you to feel the magic stirring within.

When You Are Brave is no exception. Right from the end pages and half title page illustrations, this story makes you pause and explore every minute detail. It's a tale about letting go, saying goodbye, moving on and facing the doubt and apprehensions that change incites.

When one
Liz McCrane
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When You Are Brave is a fictional book with the story told more through the images while the overall theme is told through the text. The beginning images give us clues that the main character, a young girl, is making a move to another state or city. The first few pages are a series of metaphors explaining bravery and what it means, “as brave as a bird that steps from its nest, hoping to soar through the sky.” Towards the end of the book, the young girl finds a light inside of her that is ...more
Rocio
Oct 04, 2019 added it
This book is very inspirational and talks about having courage even during the hardest times. This book talks about a girl who is moving houses and has to say goodbye to her old neighborhood. This books shows her journey on her way to her new place where she is worried about meeting new friends, getting on a new school bus and riding to school wondering what lies ahead. All of these things seem very scary to her but at the end of the book, she learns to leave those scary moments behind her and ...more
Pauline
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We really loved Pat Zielow Miller’s 2018 picture book Be Kind so we were very interested to see what this new book would be like and we were not disappointed. This is one of those picture books from which you can take away something different each time you read it. The lines, “Because some days are full of things you’d rather not do” and, “At times like these, the world can seem … Too big. Too loud. Too hard. Too much.” insightfully reflect the anxieties and worries that many children experience ...more
Kate
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Make your courage so big it brightens your heart, fills your fingers, and flows to your toes."

This book is stunning, inside and out! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful! The color palette is perfect and really mirrors the story. The melodic text desribes how a child must bravely face new challenges in her life. These challenges are relatable to children and show them to look inside themselves and to be brave and courageous in times of uncertainty and apprehension.

Tamara
Fresh off another resolution to limit my book buying, I borrowed When You Are Brave from the library. The writing and the illustrations are tightly interwoven, which will delight kids, and both are stunning. It’s an affirming story that applies equally well to all ages. “At times like these, the world can seem...Too big. Too loud. Too hard. Too much. While you feel...Too small. Too quiet. Too tired. Not enough.” I had to pause my reading repeatedly to makes notes on the writer’s craft...Too ...more
Diane
“Because once you find your courage, it’s easy to use again and again.”

Sometimes the world can be “too big, too loud, too hard or too much” because there are days you have to do things you would rather not do. But on those days, you need to think about something you’re good at, something you love or someone who loves you and it will give you a glow that no one else will see, but you will feel. And it will give you courage.

Beautiful illustrations and an important message for students. A definite
For anyone who has ever moved, done something new, or tried something you didn't really want to do, this book is for you! I loved the simple message and the beautiful presentation of this book -- readers of all ages will be inspired to glow, inside and out!

I gave this book "best cover of the week" -- you just have to see the deep yellows, blues, and greens! Inside the cover, the pages show the mood and tone of the story brilliantly. Teachers using picture books to teach middle school and high
Krissy Neddo
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the move from dark to light in the illustrations, especially the spark in her heart. Because of the darker illustrations, best for small groups or 1-1. May be difficult to see if read aloud to classroom. I think the metaphors and message is sometimes a bit too deep for the average Kinder-First grader. Best for a parent and child who is moving or maybe for beginning of year picture book for grades 3-4??
Molly Cluff (Library!)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm undecided on my feelings for this book. The highlights for me: the illustrations (like the magic sparkles making butterfly wings), the context (what seems to be an immigrant family moving somewhere new?). The text felt a bit overladen with metaphors, and my mind had to keep hoping from metaphor to metaphor. But overall I liked the message of finding your inner strength.
Jenna Grodzicki
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story recognizes that kids sometimes have to do things they don't want to do. Whether you're standing on a diving board or on stage in front of a crowd, it's okay to be scared. But you can take charge of your feelings and find your inner courage. The author suggests several ways kids can find their own bravery. A perfect read for kids about to embark on a new or unfamiliar adventure.
Lynn
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miller's lyrical text relates the story of how a child bravely faces challenging events. The events are perfectly chosen to be relatable to young children and include big events such as move and small ones like jumping into a pool.

Eliza Wheeler's illustrations are really beautiful contrasting a dark blue palette with glowing luminous elements of light.

Encouraging and inspiring.
Morgan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Think about what you're good at. Something you love. Or someone who loves you. No one else will see it. But you'll know you glow. And you'll know you are ready. No matter how deep the water, how loud the crowd, how hard the ride, or how much there is to do. You might struggle. You might succeed. People might clap. Or laugh. Or not notice at all. No matter what happens, you'll be alright."
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Who couldn't use this wonderfully inspirational book in his/her life? Everyone faces hard situations, and this book takes a person step by step through the process of finding the courage inside to deal with the situation. For children, yes, but it could be nice to share with grownups, too.
Kim
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, bravery
When things are scary and you are afraid, reach deep down for you light. You have the power to take it from a spark to a fire. Once you find you light it will be easier the next time things are scary.
Norkett
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Loved the message - find the courage to be brave and no matter what, it will be alright. A story that could help children cope with a moving situation. Almost found myself reading as though it could have been lyrics to a song.
Bkrieth
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all need to practice courage, and this book acknowledges and addresses the fact with simple sincerity. A great discussion starter for students of all ages. This would pair well with Bernard Waber's book, Courage.
Kathleen
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Children who are undergoing changes in their lives - a move, or a new family situation or school, will appreciate knowing they aren't the only kids to go through something like that. Lovely artwork, and all around an enjoyable read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Stone Sat Still
  • Just Read!
  • Bear Came Along
  • Bilal Cooks Daal
Pat Zietlow Miller knew she wanted to be a writer ever since her seventh-grade English teacher read her paper about square-dancing skirts out loud in class and said: “This is the first time anything a student has written has given me chills.” (Thanks, Mrs. Mueller! You rock!)

Pat started out as a newspaper reporter and wrote about everything from dartball and deer-hunting to diets and decoupage.