Start by marking “Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)

Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  397 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Celebrate 40 years of Little Critter® with seven classic stories in one book, including: Just for You (the very first Little Critter® story!); Just Go to Bed; All by Myself; I Was So Mad; When I Get Bigger; Just a Mess; and I Just Forgot. This 176-page hardcover collection is a wonderful way to introduce Mercer Mayer’s beloved tales of growing up to a whole new generation.
Published July 12th 2005 by Golden Books

To ask other readers questions about Just a Little Critter Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Little Critter Collection

Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this little guy. He's cute and fun to read.
A collection of classic "Just Little Critter" stories. Ones that span all time by having the child's perspective in the words, the parent perspective in the pictures, and ending in bedtime.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alistair loves reading these Little Critter stories. Lots and lots of bedtimes reading from this.
M Lee
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because the pictures are beautiful and I like the story.
Angela Evans
So glad Brian and I are able to read these stories that we loved as kids to Laura! Bonus points: she loves them too
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My little boy got this book for his second Christmas: He was exactly one year, six weeks and one day old at the time. He didn't really get the humor then. He is now four years and four months old. He gets the humor now. In fact, some of these pages send him into fits of giggles that last so long that I have to stop reading. I'm OK with that.

For the past month, my son has been at an "I'll do it" stage. That stage is curiously close to Little Critter's "Just for You" stage and the "All By Myself"
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "Celebrate 30 years of Little Critter® with seven classic stories in one book! This 176-page hardcover collection is a wonderful way to introduce Mercer Mayer’s beloved tales of growing up to a whole new generation."

My Review: All the best Critter books combined into one. Both my hubby and I loved Critter when we were kids and are now enjoying sharing them with our Munchkin. There are so many lessons wrapped into the Critter stories and young children relate well to them. The images ar
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son loves his Little Critter 7-storybooks-in-1. In fact, both of them do.
The stories encourage my children's independence and call to mind my own childhood, television-free and lots of playing outside. In these books, childhood is idyllic. We see exactly how adventurous a wonderful world of play-learning, love and affectionate be. My boys see a gamut of emotions displayed but also how and what is or is not a good way to deal with them, which is fantastic.

This collection is educational and fu
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and their parents
We owned a bunch of these when I was little, and I realized that I didn't own any for my own kids! So last year I asked my parents for a good collection or two of Little Critter books.

This one contains:
Just for You
When I Get Bigger
I Was So Mad
All By Myself
Just Go to Bed
Just a Mess
I Just Forgot

They're delightful and my boys love them. My 6-year-old will sit down and read them all over and over. I think it's great that he can read them by himself, and he thinks it's great because they're funny and
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I believe I have said before, I was raised on Little Critter books and absolutely love them. So I knew when I had children, I would read these to them as well. I got this one for my 9 month old son and he likes them too. I especially like the spider and grasshopper that are in all of his books as Little Critter's companions. This collection includes these 7 books: Just for You, I Was So Mad, When I Get Bigger, Just Go to Bed, All by Myself, Just a Mess and I Just Forgot. My favorites are Just ...more
Felicia Latoya Brown
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
My sisters and I had a bunch of the individual books when we were kids. Now my nephews have this collection. The other night I sat and read two of the stories to the boys before they went to bed, then I sat and read the rest of the collection. Quick read, but a wonderful flashback into my childhood. :)
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I added this because it felt like cheating to add each Little Critter book separately. I did read them all though. Even won a "My Favorite Book" writing contest in 2nd Grade for my paragraph on the Little Critter Books. I said I like them because he always tried to do the right thing, but he always got it wrong.
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is a wonderful collection of Mercer Mayer stories. It includes seven excellent books. They are easy reads and great for a primary classroom. I would also use this book/collection as a teaching aid for a study of authors. These books are easy-to-read, but definitely worth having in the classroom.

SarahLynn Camper
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love the little critter books this is a great compilation of stories. This would be a prefect collection to take if you needed to have one book to get you through a long wait with kiddos. Critter stories are great for reminding us mom's that our little critters are trying their best
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love reading these to kids I babysit. They remind me of childhood.
Lindsay Lock
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
One of my kids' favorite collections. Easy to read, and great little lessons in each story. :-)
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome collection of some of Mercer Mayer's best work. A great gift for kids!
Brendan Howard
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We probably HAVE read all of these at one time or another. And in the past couple of weeks, we've read more than half again.

Read again three years later ... all of them!
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Any book from the Little Critter series has been a good story for the kids!
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just as good as when I was a kid, loved reading it to my daughter, she liked to pat the critter. Great illustrations!
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think we own all of these books. All of our kids love them.
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a favorite of the kids'. I remember reading these in my youth and now I can see my son in many of the stories, making them all the more fun.
Megan Matthews
Sep 25, 2014
Oct 17, 2012
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Big Book of Berenstain Bears Beginner Books
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • I Love My Daddy
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Curious George Visits a Toy Store (Curious George New Adventures)
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
  • Philadelphia Chickens
  • How Do I Love You Bb
  • Five Green and Speckled Frogs (Sing and Read Storybook)
  • Doctor De Soto Goes to Africa
  • Clifford's Kitten
  • Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Classroom!
  • Dancing with Degas
  • K Is For Kissing A Cool Kangaroo
  • What REALLY Happened to Humpty?: From the Files of a Hard-Boiled Detective
  • Farfallina  Marcel
  • Something Else
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too!