Start by marking “Slay (Slay, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slay (Slay, #1)

Slay

(Slay #1)

Meet SLAY – SLAY do two things and they do them well: they play killer music and they slay killer demons.

When Milly, the lonely daughter of a world-famous opera singer, arrives home to discover that her mum has been taken over by something very evil, she finds herself in mortal danger. But the last people she expects to rescue her are the hottest boy band on the planet…

Ent
Published May 3rd 2018 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Slay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slay

Start your review of Slay (Slay, #1)
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy win purchase for any young teen would be the rip-roaring new book Slay from Kim Curran, featuring a demon-fighting boy-band. Yes, you heard me. Think One Direction on the hunt for demons, in a monster-of-the-week/book type situation, and you're on the mark. The first novel in a new series, Slay follows Milly, a young girl who witnesses her mother take part in a demonic ceremony only to be rescued by the eponymous boyband themselves. Determined to save the world and fight the demons now l ...more
Bella
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Cheezyfeet Books.

I'm currently deep in revision hell for my final exams of my degree, and so I needed something light-hearted that I could escape into and really enjoy. SLAY was absolutely perfect for this! What could be better escapism than a boy band travelling the world to perform, and in secret on the side, slaying badass demons? Throw in some interesting Aztec mythology (I'm a Classics student what can I say I love a bit of mythology) too, and I was hooked.

I love books
Nikki
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly cute and fun! Slay is the perfect mix of supernatural and boy bands, and is exactly what I hoped it would be: up beat, made me hum along to imaginary rock pop tunes (I’m thinking McFly!), with demon slaying on the side!

It’s also a great modern / urban fantasy with a light hearted sort-of-contemporary side. You know, considering they lose family and friends to demons etc... 😂

I really liked that we got enough background about all the boys and their life on the road without it being in
Cora Tea Party Princess
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Family, music, demons, danger, secrets.

Review to come!
Ellie
A demon-slaying boy band? How fun! Kim Curran's new book follows Milly who has been transplanted to America by her opera singing mum. She isn't allowed to listen to popular music but she still knows who SLAY are, how could she miss their adoring fans at school. When Milly's mum is possessed by a demon, she gets a mysterious email offering help. The last thing she expected was a boy band to turn up at her door.

Milly joins the boys as they try to work out which demon they're dealing with. She feel
al
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc
God this is another one of those books that almost feels like it was written for me. It’s not every day you find a book merging your two favourite book things - fantasy AND bands? Hell yeah (pun completely intended).

It starts slow - and I don’t mean the drama, because that kicks up pretty fast - and made me feel like this was gonna be another mediocre book with a really good premise, but after about 20% I was gripped and I wasn’t let go. I still haven’t been, yet.

It’s a bit cliché in places, bu
Amy
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
My blog: A Magical World Of Words

(Thank you so much to Penguin Random House SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.)

3.5 stars.

If you're looking for a light, fun, adventurous tale with easy-to-root-for characters, read this little book.

It's well written, albeit a little cheesy and predictable, and the story is fast-paced, action packed, and exciting. There are many cliche scenarios we've seen so many times before, but they're also scenarios we know and love: there's the to
Nargis  Kalani
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
"He'd come up against his fair share of demonic creatures: some were all charm and bright smiles, others were wild beasts, driven only by the desire to kill. But this one...This one was something else."

I am so thankful to USBORNEYA for providing me a copy of this book.

At first I literally thought that the book will have one of those typical romance stories considering there is a boy band and a girl called Milly. But the story was intriguing as I kept reading.
It's not an every day story when th
Amy
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was...so fun? Like it's such a nice, quick, easy read and doesn't require effort and just like, I really loved it to be honest. I've been feeling like utter crap (being sick sucks man) while I've been reading this and it has majorly lifted my mood and just actually made me happy and just smile randomly while reading it so I'm honestly really thankful for that. Like I love books that crush me but I read so many of them that something so fun like this is really just a breath of fresh air ...more
Peter
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
SLAY by Kim Curran is so much fun. Like 1D meets some sword-wielding, demon-hunting Jap-anime series! I think my favourite thing about it was the chapter titles that are cheesy boy band song names - I couldn't decide if they were made up, or from real songs, but it is filled with great in-jokes like that as well as much fun and action as a Buffy boxset!
Neelam
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read! I loved all the boys and Millie. But I also loved Gail and wish we got to see more of her!
Looking forward to seeing more of Slay!
J. Taylor
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was an enjoyable, quick, fun read with the potential to become a great series.
Gaby
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silly and ridiculous but also fun and enjoyable
Runalong
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Demons fight a boy band - more Buffy than a parody though thankfully! Well worth your time

‪full review below

Slay by Kim Curran https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Ria
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was just a joy. If I could go back in time and hand this book to my 13 year old self, you can betcherass I would. A boyband that fights demons? With an oh so special and unique girl who wins them over? It should have been a train wreck but Kim Curran did a great job of keeping the pace fast and making even the cheesiest of moments insanely fun. And I want to read the sequel immediately. Perfect escapism, much needed on this rainy and patience-testing day.
Alice
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hot boy band killing demons - what more could you want!

I really enjoyed this book, it was full of demon slaying, funny moments and even a little romance. I can't wait for the next book, I need it now.

I would highly recommend to fans of YA who are looking for a 'light' fantasy book that is truly fun to read (and doesn't take its self too seriously!).

[Received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review]
Steph
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great fun! One of those wild rides. Think Charmed meets your fave 90s boyband. Badass, funny, charming and brilliant. I absolutely loved Milly - she’s great. Bring on more!
Fiona M
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great fun! The perfect read in this sunny weather. Super easy to read too. Also book 2 is going to take place in Japan?! Sign me uppp!
Anja
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is: ridiculously stupid, predictable, cheesy and clichéed.
And I loved every bit of it. Is it a masterpiece of YA Satire? Hell no! But is it a lot of fun? Definetly!
I can see a J-Drama being made out of it, the boys being played by Johnny‘s and JD by the equivalent of a young Kamenashi. Gail reminded me a bit of the Manager in Mendol Ikemen Idol (and in the Next book there will be a Plot Point in that direction)

There are two things that were...meh:

1. it was sooo straight.... like a boo
Alex Minton
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t expect to like this book as much as I did! I thought it was gonna be an easy cheesy read but the characters were wonderful and the mythology was so cool! Usually with demons it’s Christian theology but this was Aztec! So interesting
Kenya Starflight
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I seem to like oddball, out-of-the-ordinary books. And if a premise of "famous boy band moonlights as demon slayers" isn't oddball, I don't know what is. "SLAY" promised to be entertaining, if nothing else, and I went in expecting nothing more than a fun supernatural romp perhaps tinged with the typical romance and/or love triangle so ubiquitous to YA novels. And in the end, that's pretty much what I got -- an entertaining romp that's light and fairly insubstantial given its subject matter, but ...more
Alyce Hunt
'Slay did two things, and they did them well. Play killer music and kick demon butt. Music done. It was butt-kicking time.'

If you love One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer and McFly, you'll love Slay. JD, Tom, Connor, Niv and Zek are the next big thing, and fans all over the world are eager to get a piece of them. They never stop touring, for one reason and one reason only.

Yep, you guessed it: so they have an excuse - and the money - to fly all over the world defeating demons and keeping humankin
Claudia Marie
Stars: 4.5/5

I really REALLY loved the concept of this story: A major hit boyband with a twist - they fight demons by night.

I usually have a few ebooks on my phone for when I travel by bus, train or when i'm waiting for something in public. It's goof because it means i'm reading but not lugging a thick book around. I usually only read these books during those times BUT with Slay I just had to read it at home! I just had to finish it!

This story was not a simple or complex plot but something in bet
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been exposed... BIG TIME

Everyone can tell I'm a massive fan of all things music and I sort of (okay majorly) have a soft spot for boy bands. When I was younger I had a Backstreet Boys phase a few years ago a 5 Seconds of Summer phase and a slight One Direction phase and now I have a massive kpop phase that is lead by none other than BTS. So yes you could call me boy group obsessed... it's a fair judgement.

Although I said that I had a slight One Direction I did really enjoy Slay it was t
WhatBookNext .com
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Age – 12+

JD, Connor, Tom, and twins Zek & Niv are SLAY – the hottest boy band on the planet. But little do their fans know that they are also demon hunters. Although they are awesome on stage together, the band is a front, allowing them to travel the world, pop up in random places and also pay for all the gear and weapons they need to fight evil.

Milly is the daughter of an Opera singer mother who is constantly craving the glory of fame, making them move from country to country in search of it. M
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love fantasy and I love boyband lit, so I was pretty sure I’d enjoy Slay, and I certainly did. I thought it fused the genres fabulously and contained pretty much everything I look for in both; excellent worldbuilding, a great cast, a glitzy feel and a romance (or two). The glamour of Slay’s life was so fun to read about, and I thought the fantasy worldbuilding was interesting and complicated, yet easy to understand. The plot moved along at a great pace, always leaving me excited to continue at ...more
André Viegas
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading a 600+ book (José Rodrigues dos Santos - Sinal de Vida) I was looking for something mild, easy-going retreat.

I had no expectations whatsoever when I grabbed this gem; Maybe even something not-so-good considering the marketing being made as one direction group killing demons (not fitting!).

So, to prove me wrong, the writer Kim delivers a compelling and fun plot, filled with twists and turns, based on Milly, the main protagonist who goes from nerd to join the heard.

The small bits ded
Kelly Lacey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Slay by Kim Curran was a fabulous unique experience of a read and I loved it. On our bookish journey, we meet the boys from Slay. They travel the world to perform sell-out stadium tours. But as the crowds disperse and the doors close, the boys head back to their tour bus to prepare for their ‘real’ job. Which, happens to be as demon hunters.

I loved the emotional rollercoaster that the book took me on. Filled with humour and some emotional sappy bits. Slay is the perfect read for the early teens
Anna
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend!
Slay was a quick, funny and enjoyable read. It's so addicting and I really connected with the characters. I didn't like the romance, Tom and Milly don't have much chemistry. Also, in my opinion, Tom is boring and I would prefere Milly with JD. THEY have so much chemistry! This book is only set in a few days but the characters have enough character development, especially JD and Milly. But the everythimg happens to quickly, until the point where it's unrealistic. I would like the
« previous 1 3 next »

• Theatrical
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Floored
  • Rosie Loves Jack
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • Proud
  • Out of the Blue
  • The Wild Way Home
  • Bookshop Girl (Bookshop ​Girl, #1)
  • Oh My Gods
  • Savage Island (Red Eye)
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Exile (The Extinction Trials #2)
Kim was born in Dublin and moved to London when she was seven. She got her first typewriter when she was eight, had a poem she wrote about a snail published in a magazine when she was nine, and that was it – Kim was hooked on writing.

Because she never thought she’d actually be able to make a living as a writer, she decided she needed a trade to fall back on. So, naturally, she went to Sussex Unive

Slay (2 books)
  • Slay on Tour (Slay, #2)