Jump to ratings and reviews

The Importance of Ernestine

Love isn’t easy in the cutthroat world of Australian politics...

Cecily Carter and Gwen Fairford have both started a fantastic new life in Canberra – jobs they love, a fabulous friend (each other) and even, it seems, the perfect men. Or at least, they could be perfect, if they changed political allegiances.

Alec Moncrieff and John Worthing are leading perfect lives: great jobs, a great friend (each other) and even great new relationships. But when they are caught out in a lie, everything begins to fall apart. Alec, so used to manipulating everything to his own satisfaction finds he can’t manipulate his way out of his feelings. And Cecily’s past is about to roar into the public domain. Will Gwen and Cecily give their men a second chance, or is love just another empty campaign promise?

250 pages, ebook

Published April 4, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elizabeth Dunk

11 books8 followers
Elizabeth Dunk is the contemporary romance writing alter-ego of Nicole Murphy, who cut her teeth writing science fiction and fantasy. A long-time romance fan, Nicole couldn’t resist attempting to sit fair and square in the modern world and bring two fabulous characters together and thus Elizabeth was born. As Nicole, she has dozens of short stories in print and published an urban fantasy trilogy, The Dream of Asarlai. As Elizabeth, she’s published a couple of short stories. This is the first novel-length work under her new name and there are plans for many more.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
1 (11%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Joanna Loves Reading.
559 reviews214 followers
April 4, 2018
3.5 quite entertaining Stars

I admit I requested this title from NetGalley primarily due to the title. I find The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde thoroughly enjoyable to read or watch an adaptation, so a modern retelling set in Australia was a no-brainer for me to request. And may I just say how nice it was to read an Aussie-set story written by an Aussie. It seems like most I have read choose other locations to set their novels (I imagine that’s a me problem rather than an Aussie author’s problem). I thought the plot well woven. It stayed true to its inspiration, while weaving a clever tale set among Australia’s political scene. The only part that felt flat to me was the romances, which I would have preferred more finesse in their telling.

This story takes place primarily in Canberra. There are four main characters, and rather than chapters there is two acts, with sections that switch back and forth in POV between the four characters, John, Alec, Cecily and Gwen, POV, which were clearly marked. John and Alec are good friends, but they work for opposing parties and their friendship is not well known. John is friends with Cecily, who works on the same political side as John and is being mentored by him. Alec is Gwen’s boss, and they are friends to a certain degree. Gwen and Cecily meet and become good friends in this novel.

This book reveled in the absurdity, and the political scene provided proper subject matter:

It astonished John that he could still be astonished by politicians’ ability to trivialise the serious and give import to the trivial. Rather than attend an important meeting that related to her portfolio, Blakely was more worried about what type of stuffed dog to get.

One thing with how the political scape was shown here was that it was done rather vaguely. There were two sides with neither being named and no stance on issues was given. I appreciated how well this worked, but it may be that an Aussie reader would find the lack of specificity disappointing. Not sure.

I enjoyed the friendships in this one, particularly the female friendships and the support shown between the two main female characters. If you know Wilde’s play, you will expect moments of deception and confrontation, and this translated well here.

‘You’ve done nothing wrong,’ Gwen said in as soothing a voice as she could muster. ‘You’ve done nothing wrong and I’ve done nothing wrong. We let our hearts believe in men who were not worthy of them. They are the ones who are the villains here, not us.’

And again:

‘Surely you can understand that I love her.’ ‘No, I don’t,’ Cecily said. ‘You don’t lie like that to the woman you love. You don’t play games with the woman you love. You don’t deceive the woman you love in order to get your own way. Your love was selfish and that makes it wrong.

Another theme of the book was Post-Natal Depression (also known as Postpartum Depression) that was handled well with some poignant moments. It was important to the plot, and I don’t want to give any spoilers, so will just leave you with this moment that spoke to me:

I thought I was a horrible person, who hated my child, who wasn't capable of being a mother. I thought I was unnatural. I thought there was something wrong with me and I hid it from everyone, even my husband, because I was scared that if they knew, they would desert me because who wants to be with someone not truly human?’

This book had its poignant and funny moments. I chuckled a few times, but as I mentioned before, the romances were not as well done as the plot. They were not as well scripted and would gloss over and jump ahead without showing the reader the development. There was also some cruder word choices that felt out of place in this story . Ultimately, just like I wouldn’t read/watch The Importance of Being Earnest for the romance, I would not recommend this for the romance but the intricate plot. It wasn’t perfect. There were some moments that needed smoothing out, but I was certainly pleasantly surprised in taking a chance on an unknown author. It captured my attention, and the author clearly understood her inspiration material.
401 reviews
November 16, 2018
Nice to read a book about life in Canberra. I liked the characters and enjoyed the different plot twists, although possibly a bit too much of a happy ending (but I know that it was a reimagining of Importance of Being Earnest).
A good easy read.
Profile Image for Jane.
439 reviews
October 27, 2018
4 stars

Political satire, romance and serious medical conditions are the central themes of this book. Focuses around 4 individuals and their intertwined lives get closer then finally collide. Good Australian novel.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.