Start by marking “Legally Blonde” as Want to Read:
Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde

The hilarious novel that inspired the blockbuster movie--including what's next for Elle Woods!

Elle Woods, California University senior, seems to have it all. President of Delta Gamma sorority, she's aced her major--sociopolitical jewellery design--and is on the verge of becoming Mrs. Warner Huntington III. Too bad Warner, bound for Stanford Law, dumps her with the explan
Published April 3rd 2003 by Time Warner Books UK (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Legally Blonde, please sign up.
Feezlfuzzl Movie--do not read this disappointing, boring book.

Athena
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I LOVE the Legally Blonde movie, and I recently saw the musical, (which I also adored). So I was ready to love this book. It turned out to be a disappointed read. I expected difference from the movie; in fact I wanted them. I wanted more details and more funny happenings that were left out. It was different all right, but in all the wrong ways!

**Spoliers**
There is NO Emmet Forrest in the book. In fact, no love interest for Elle at all. She just spends the entire book moaning over Warner.

Vivian i
Suzanne
Fantastic narrator! I can just see Reese Witherspoon's happy voice shining through. Though not reviewing the movie, I did enjoy it so much more than the book. It lacked any type of oomph, and I'm afraid I was constantly waiting for something to happen, there was no spark to be felt or heard. The basis of the character came through, but the quirky Elle Woods that I knew was lost in the court room scenes. Yes Warner was a cad, but he didn't get served his cummupence in quite the style I would have ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: law, romance, humor, women-s, comedy
Legally Blonde is a funny novel that breaks rude stereotypes about the "ditzy blonde bimbo", but many of the characters just come off as very annoying even at the best of times.
Aarann
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Apparently I'm in the minority but I actually like the book. It's nice to see that Elle was originally pictured as someone who was aware of her inherent intelligence and was just somewhat ditzy, as opposed to the movie where it seemed like she was more sweet than naturally intelligent. Certainly, this alternate potrayal of her has its downsides and she is decidedly less nice in this version than she was in the movie (one of my favorite scenes in the movie is where she helps out the awkward, nerd ...more
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Damn, this book was lame. And I kind of knew that going into it as I have read something previous from the same author and I didn't like it much either. But since I liked the movie a lot, I thought I would give the book a whirl. But I am confused. The copyright date in this book wasn't until like 2003 or 4 and the movie came out in 2001. So which came first, the book or movie? Also, I have seen the movie about 600 times and actually pay attention to the opening credits and as far as I can rememb ...more
Ruthie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say that Legally Blonde is one of the few examples of the movie being better than the book. I was extremely disappointed and rather sorry I had bought the book by the time I finished it, especially considering how long I had been looking for it. I had to make myself finish the book, although I will say it got somewhat better during the last 100 pages. I found Amanda Brown's writing style to be rather dull and her syntax is confusing at best. The cover promised that the book is hilar ...more
Bren
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review to follow.

Having seen the movie I always kind of wanted to read the book.

While it is cute and mostly like the movie, the fun magical feeling is not present. I think honestly that is because Reese Witherspoon made Elle Woods come alive. I just sort of skimmed the book and it fell sort of flat for me. It is very short and things go so quickly! I me an she is signed up to law school within the first couple of dozen pages.

I think it was an OK read but not like the movie. And things that made
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Homecoming Queen and sorority president Elle Woods heads to Stanford Law School in order win back her ex, Warren.

The movie took this book and improved it all-around. In the movie, Elle realizes early in the school year that Warren is a bonehead, and she takes it upon herself to show him and everyone else that she's just as good as the rest of them. In the book, Elle waffles with her feelings until the very end of the high-profile murder trial, barely studies, and gets through school mostly on lu
Ana
This was an quick read, but my enjoyment was seriously dampened because the writing style did not gel right with me. And there's a lot of cattiness.
Gloria
Aug 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst novels I've read willingly as an adult - I can't believe it was written by a Stanford law grad. I post this as a public service to anyone who thinks that maybe the novel would have the silly, witty charm of the first movie without the embarrassingly awful parts. Nope, just the embarrassingly awful parts. Proof that Reese Witherspoon saved that script. I need to stop picking books based on movies I've seen.
Holly
Mar 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book negative stars if I could. It's boring, unbelievable and Elle is completely void of any redeeming qualities. I don't think I've ever actually hated a book until I read this. It's not cute, funny or warm.

Amanda Brown should be punished for writing this.

Stick with the movie version, where Elle has a brain and actually uses it.
Anita Smith
Dec 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Believe it or not, I liked the movie a million times more!!!!
Bianca
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book because of how much I loved the movies. Unfortunately I didn't connect much to the characters and found myself wishing Reese Witherspoon would sweep in and save me.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Bend and snap!

Jane
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Not sure how this pile of tripe managed to inspire such a witty and entertaining film, but anyway. This is one of the worst books I've ever read: illogical, badly written, very weakly characterised and entirely failing to be either amusing or clever. Elle is a despicably lazy and shallow character, far from the likeable heroine of the film. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but was hoping for something funny and pleasant - it was a chore from page 1. Yuck.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Movie
Musical
Book

Just saw the musical and it was way cuter than I expected. The book is boring sludge and Amanda Brown should thank her lucky stars that she's making money off a character that was written to be charming, funny and smart by other people.
Nicole
Dec 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who have no sense of humor
All I can say is that I could not even be bothered to finish this. They made a fantastically funny movie out of a very boring and poorly written book.
Ann
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
you're just going to have to believe me when i say that the book is funnier and more clever than the movie -- read it in the bathtub, on the beach, or around any body of water of your choosing.
Clare O'Beara
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: america-fiction
I love the film, and I was determined to read the book while I was at college, but the book is not a patch on the film. This happens a lot - Hollywood screenwriters tend to be good at their job. A fine idea - blonde California beauty-obsessed girl goes to law school to try to win back rich snobby boyfriend. And then what? Well, the book didn't really progress that idea. Another book/ film on this basic/ improved model is Jumper by Stephen Gould. The book has one idea and there is no Griffin - Ja ...more
Bella Grace
No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Okay, so I watched the movie before I read the book. Yes, friends, gasp all you want. This is unusual behavior for me, too. But thank the Lord Almighty that that happened. There would have been a close to nil. chance that I would have gone to see the movie that Reese Witherspoon did a hell of a great job adapting.

This review will be short and not so sweet as I feel as if I were to continue, my head will burst of exhaustion and boredom. The quick flash: I did
Lennon Young
What a HUGE disappointment. Prior reviews had warned me that this book was nothing like movie - and that's more than fine when it comes to book-to-movie adaptations. They usually never are the same, and sometimes the changes work, and sometimes they don't. With regards to the movie version of Legally Blonde, the changes worked so much so that they made a very bad book into a wonderful feel-good comedy.

My main issue with the book was Elle Woods - totally lovable in the film, she was nothing shor
Rachel Brand
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2005
My review at age 13:

"Elle’s bimboishness makes this book really funny =)"

I actually still quite like this book. I stopped reading chick-lit a few years ago but sometimes when I'm feeling down I pick this book up and read it. It never fails to make me smile. I saw the film a while back and it didn't do the book justice. Elle's character grows and changes throughout the book, but this is barely touched on in the movie. This book isn't just stupid, bimbo-y chick-lit (as my 13-year-old self's review
Sally
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Everything that makes people hate the movie is not in the book. The movie is totally dumbed down with even dumber characters and situations added in. Not a bad story at all.
Kelly K
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
One of those rare occasions that the movie is better than the book.
Elizabeth
A witty and fashionable story.
Jess
One of the rare cases where the film is better than the book.

Here, Elle skips out on classes to get manicures and go to tanning salons, and on the rare occasion she does go to class, she reads Cosmo under the desk. She only passes her exams because a secret admirer sends her the course work, and she spends the entire book pining for Warner.

Also, Elle believes that blondes are discriminated against.
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this book. It was a lot different than the movie and musical. There's no Ernest in the book, and no UPS man either (too bad). But I did love the characters and how Elle still saved the day in the courtroom for Brooke. I also liked the fact that Elle had friends in law school and she did it the smart way in terms of classes - pass/fail. Warner is still a douche.
Cara
As always, I was surprised at how much different the book was compared to the movie. You'd think at this point I'd wouldn't be surprised, but I was since until recently I didn't even know this was a book.
While I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I would be perfectly happy if they combined a bit of the movie with the book as there were certain aspects of the movie that I liked better: how she remained friends with her better sorority sisters. I liked Luke Wilson's characater as the assistant of the at
Candy Boisvert