Start by marking “The Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Mermaid

The Mermaid

From the author of Lost Boy comes a beautiful historical fairy tale about a mermaid who leaves the sea, only to become the star attraction of history's greatest showman.

Once there was a mermaid called Amelia who could never be content in the sea, a mermaid who longed to know all the world and all its wonders, and so she came to live on land. Once there was a man called P.
Published June 19th 2018 by Titan Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Mermaid, please sign up.
Christina Henry It should be out around the same time as the US edition. Titan Books is publishing the book in the UK but I don't think they have the preorder info up…moreIt should be out around the same time as the US edition. Titan Books is publishing the book in the UK but I don't think they have the preorder info up anywhere yet.(less)
Havon I am guessing that they are not a series but they are by the same author
…more
I am guessing that they are not a series but they are by the same author
(less)
Ingo by Helen DunmoreDiving Belles by Lucy WoodThe Gracekeepers by Kirsty LoganThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanOrkney by Amy Sackville
Song of the Sea
62 books — 28 voters
Flipping the Scales by Pete TarsiThe Little Mermaid by Walt Disney CompanyMermaid Tales from Around the World by Mary Pope OsborneTriton's Prophecy by Tiana GriffinThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler
Mermaids
126 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Mermaid
Miranda Reads
The fisherman loosed her and she dove back into the water the way a wild thing returns to a wild place, and he watched her go.

description

But...his loneliness snaked into her, and she was sorry for it, for that loneliness caught her more surely than the net.
Amelia - a young, restless mermaid - spent her entire life in the ocean with her family. Yet, despite the security and safety the deep ocean offered, she couldn't stand it.

So, she swam off to discover the mysteries of
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

So this is my first Christina Henry book. I knew that she was getting known to be fantastic at her dark re-tellings of some of my favorite stories. This is actual footage of me getting ready to read this book..

But it's not a "Little Mermaid" re-telling. Which is okay. It still could have been a really interesting book.
This story involves Amelia, who just happens to be a real mermaid. Many years ago she was caught in a fisherman's net and saw his lonely eyes. She falls in the loves w
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
He knew then, without any other proof, that she was a mermaid, a real mermaid, and far from wanting her in Barnum’s tank, he wanted her to return to the ocean or to her cottage on the rocks or just go anywhere but there, for Barnum would take all of her magic and twist it out of her until the enchantment was gone, and Levi was afraid for her, so afraid.

When I heard that Christina Henry was writing a story about a mermaid, my first thought was that, as well-known as she is for fantas
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When I heard Christina Henry was going to take on P.T. Barnum, my reaction pretty much looked like this . . . .

Only with more facial hair.

I will 100% admit my hopes were extraordinarily high. I was banking on something D.A.R.K. since that has been Henry’s forte as well as the way she made me crossover into stalker superfan status with not only her spin on Alice but also Captain Hook. Although there was an obvious take on the merma
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My Experience: I started reading The Mermaid on 8/9/18 and finished it on 8/20/18 at 2am. This book is a marvelous read! Such a lyrical narrative! I love the clever ways the characters are thinking and knowing. I like following Amelia, Levi, and Barnum’s thought processes. They are clever and brutally honest when they think, but school their faces to calm when they interact with others. This book is not a retelling of the little mermaid, but more of a story on the mermaid and her life before and ...more
Dan Schwent
After a chance encounter with a fisherman, a mermaid assumes human form and marries him. When her husband dies, Mrs. Amelia Douglas's life stagnates until she is invited to join P.T. Barnum's circus.

My wife got me this book for Christmas. I threw it on my wishlist aeons ago since the other two Christina Henry books I've read, Alice and The Lost Boy, were bad ass dark retellings of classic tales.
"What if P.T. Barnum's Feegee Mermaid was an actual mermaid instead of dead monkey with a fish tail
Note: The Mermaid is a reimagining of P.T. Barnum and his 1840s Feejee Mermaid hoax and not a retelling/reimagining of The Little Mermaid.

I tend to have a hard time enjoying reimaginings/retellings of actual historical figures...especially when they're not portrayed in the best light. But this is where the author made a wise choice. She incorporated fantasy/mythology so even though a name may be familiar, it's part of a world that doesn't entirely exist. Christina Henry reimagines popular charac
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Plot-wise, this book was EXACTLY what you would expect it to be. Enjoyment-wise, it was pretty meh. Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it. Probably a 2.5
Mohammed Arabey
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, half way through...and I'm totally “Hooked” !

Smooth writing style, mixing fairytale with historical 19 century life, criticising society that fits even these days...
And just great paced...not ranty..which is a rarity..
If the first chapter which told the 'Origin' story in a "storytelling" style didn't hook you up..don't worry, you'll be caught hard in the "Net" of the next couple of chapters that it will be too hard to put the book down.

Mohammed Arabey
From 13 May 2018
To 15 May 2018
Katie.dorny
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was Christina’s best book by far - she is definitely improving with each publication!!!

I picked this up thinking it was a re-telling of the little mermaid (it’s not) but instead found a compelling story about a mermaid named Amelia and P.T Barnum.

The story was very original and with a refreshing feminist twist which I loved - Amelia is very logical and doesn’t understand our societal concerns, making the reader also look at them in a different view.

Amelia falls for a human man and lives wit
Jenna
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of adult fairy tales
Shelves: fantasy
Mermaid Siren GIF - Mermaid Siren GIFs

"Wild things ought to be free. They can't belong to anybody.

Humans have long been enchanted with tales of mermaids, beautiful bare-breasted women with long flowing hair, equipped with tails rather than legs. The myth of the mermaid is found in many cultures around the world, first appearing in ancient Assyria. But what if they're not a myth, not mythological creatures? I don't know anyone who believes they are real (and if there is, I'd be concerned for their sanity), and that's why we have
Sh3lly
Quick review: I read this a week or two ago. It reads more of magic realism than fantasy. The setting is our world in the time of P.T. Barnum. A mermaid leaves the sea and falls in love with a fisherman. After he dies at sea (we never really find out how he died, but I assume an injury while fishing as an elderly man?), the mermaid is love sick. She eventually ends up as an exhibit in P.T. Barnum's "circus." Barnum is not portrayed a very good person, although not exactly a villain. It's a stran ...more
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Image result for mermaid deviant art

Review to come when I can stop crying.
__________________________________________

Thanks to the lovely Miranda Reads, whose review convinced me to buy this book on Audible ASAP. You can read her amazing review, here:

This genre is out of my comfort zone but I'm so excited to try something new!
Heidi The Reader
The Mermaid begins like most other mermaid tales. A creature from the sea is caught in a fisherman's net. With one glance, the mermaid falls in love with him and decides to leave the ocean.

But her eyes had seen inside him the way that women's eyes do, and his loneliness snaked into her, and she was sorry for it, for that loneliness caught her more surely than the net." pg 4

Predictably, their life together goes well, until one day it doesn't.

Then, one of P.T. Barnum's right-hand men, Levi Lyman,
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley/Penguin Random House for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed my first Christina Henry book. I'd had my eye on her Lost Boy book and her Chronicles of Alice for a while now, but hadn't had a chance to get to them (we all know how big Mount TBR can get!). When The Mermaid popped up in my Berkley newsletter, I sprang at the chance!

It's a fun tale, but my favorite part of it all was the fact that we get to see humanity through th
Krystal
If I'm honest, this was a little disappointing after all the dark, twisted re-tellings I've read by the same author. It was sadly pretty PG.

It begins with a familiar sort of tale about a mermaid with an abundance of curiosity, who falls in love with a human. This story is relatively short and sweet before the mermaid's tale evolves into one that introduces us to a famous historical figure: P. T. Barnum - a man with an insatiable appetite for the curious.

Honestly, the whole museum/circus side of
Candace Robinson
When I first looked at the cover, I was like, oh, it's a Little Mermaid retelling. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was actually about Barnum's Feejee mermaid when I read the summary!!

This was quite the lovely tale with beautiful prose and enveloped in cool world building. I'm always a big oddity fan so I found everything about Barnum's oddities fascinating, even though the man himself was quite the fool!

I struggled with Amelia at times. I loved her yet was annoyed with
Cristina Monica
It’s one thing when an author you haven’t read before disappoints you with their book. It’s another thing entirely when an author you admire lets you down.

Christina Henry is my go-to author for dark retellings. ALICE, with its horrific world-building and tormented characters took my heart by storm. LOST BOY redeemed the story of Peter Pan for me, a character that, despite the way he is portrayed in kids’ books, I’ve never believed to be at all innocent.

Christina Henry is someone who made me wan
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
I liked this book and thought it was well done. I do have to say that this book was a little different than I expected. That isn't a bad thing since I like being surprised by the books that I am reading. I loved Christina Henry's previous book, Lost Boy, so I was really excited to see what she would do with this mermaid tale. I found the book to be incredibly well written and quite entertaining.

One of the reasons that this book may have surprised me a bit is due to the fact that my mermaid knowl
Sarah Marie
The Mermaid by Christina Henry

5 stars

“Freedom was far more intoxicating than safety could ever be.”

The mermaid swam in the oceans and enjoyed her freedom. Then a fisherman’s net captured her and the eyes of sad and lonely Jack stuck with her. Thus, began her decision to go onto land and shift from the horrifying alien creature into a woman with gray eyes. The transformation is not easy and it comes at a price that nearly cripples the mermaid, but she crawls into the fisherman’s house and finds a

Donna
I won an ARC of this book in a GoodReads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. So, here we go:

I find it kind of ironic so soon after seeing "The Greatest Showman" to be reading a book with such a wildly different perspective of P.T Barnum. XD And honestly, despite the author's note at the end, I am far more inclined to see this book as a more accurate representation of the man, despite my love for the musical.

I'll start with the good. This book is very lovely in its prose and it's story. It
Victoria ♡
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5

I couldn’t have asked for a better book to be my first read of 2019!!

I absolutely adored this book, I don’t think i’ll ever read a Christina Henry book i won’t love!

The writing was so lyrical and just beautiful and the story...especially the take on mermaids was so cool! I really love these kinds of “retellings” where a completely different spin is put on it, the outcome was so unique and i loved every single word.

I just really wish it was longer! I can’t get enough of this
Katherine Moore
'The Mermaid' has immediately gone onto my favorites list, so I can tell you right away that this book is an absolute treat.
When I grabbed my early copy of it at Emerald City Con at the weekend, I hadn't heard it was coming out, so I certainly didn't harbor any expectations for it, and to be honest, I'm not even a big fan of fairytale retellings. Plus I had to dispel any recent images of killer mermaids I still had in my head after reading 'Into the Drowning Deep, and I thought this would be th
Juli
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if the famed Fiji Mermaid displayed in the 1800s by PT Barnum had been real?

A mermaid, curious about humans, wanders too close to the shore and is netted by a fisherman. The man lets her go, but something in his gaze draws her to him. She leaves the ocean and lives with him as a human for years, until his death. Then she meets PT Barnum. Barnum doesn't want to display a fake mermaid poorly constructed from a monkey and fish.....he wants to give people the real thing. Although Barnum promis
 LEAH⇢
5 Out Of 5 "lonely eyes" STARS

This was truly fantastic!  A beguiling, slightly fantastical tale about a curious mermaid, and where her curiosity took her.  Taking us from the coast of Maine to New York, Charleston and beyond. Amelia, the name she picked for herself, is haunting and alluring and you can't help but love her.

Centered around a reimagining of a hoax played by P.T. Barnum about the Feejee Mermaid, in early 1840's New York, with a tour ending in Charleston, SC.

description
 -Advertisement for th
TraceyL
*Update June 21st 2020: Bumping this up to 4 stars because I continue to think about it, and it may be one of my favorites by this author.*

This book is more of a fluffy romance than the author's other works. It's well-written and a good concept, it's just not what I'm normally into. I wavered between giving it 2 or 3 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys magical realism.
Hollis
The ocean has a rhythm, but it has no heart.

This was leagues away from what I thought to expect of the author that wrote ALICE, a bizarre twisted dark ALICE IN WONDERLAND retelling. This wasn't dark or twisted or bizarre. It was instead just painfully sad. Mournfully bittersweet. Achingly tragic.

"Do not mistake the revelation of my body for the revelation of my heart. My heart keeps its own secrets, and they don't belong to you or anyone else just because you've seen me with a fish tail."

Like th
♛ Garima ♛
I can't believe how awfully boring this is...and I am talking about a mermaid book...*sigh

DNF at 30%
When I first heard about The Mermaid I kind of assumed that it would be a retelling of The Little Mermaid but with Christina Henry's own twist on the story but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that wasn't the case. Instead the author has come up with something uniquely her own, loosely based on PT Barnum's American Museum and the Feejee Mermaid he displayed there.

This book starts with the mermaid Amelia falling in love with a human fisherman but after a loving lifetime together the main st
Kayla
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this wa one of my most anticipated reads this month and it didn't let me down, it was really really good.
Christina Henry always has very twisted stories and I love them, she is such a great author and her books are so unique. If you are thinking this is gonna be like The Little Mermaid because it has a Mermaid in it, you're wrong and if you think it's gonna be like The Greatest Showman because it has P.T Barnum in it, then you're still wrong.
KetoViante Doesn't Have To Be Hard. Read These Now Tips 1 1 Nov 18, 2019 01:55AM

• Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
  • Pinpricks
  • When No One Is Watching
  • The Twisted Tree
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Wonderland: An Anthology
  • The Familiars
  • Wakenhyrst
  • The Surface Breaks
  • The Penguin Book of Mermaids
  • The Kingdom
  • The Binding
  • All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella's Stepmother
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Love, #1)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Psychological Significance Of The Biblical Stories: Genesis
  • Underneath
  • Secrets in the Dark (Black Winter, #2)
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and B