Start by marking “Island (Deceitful Destiny Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Island (Deceitful Destiny Series, #1)

Island

(Deceitful Destiny #1)

Laura Stevenson needs to get away. She is looking for isolation. She is looking for tranquility. Instead, she finds Jack.
Laura thinks she has found the perfect place to spend a summer working on her book, a small cottage on the North Sea in Scotland. There will be no kids, no memories of the perfect life she once had, and no distractions.
A chance meeting with the mysteriou
Published March 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island

Start your review of Island (Deceitful Destiny Series, #1)
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
download.jpg
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️STARS
REVIEW COPY
Release Date-24/3/18

Island (Portentous Destiny Series, #1) is the first book I have experienced by this particular author and I found it to be an extremely positive endeavour.
A Contemporary romantic suspense; this is one story that is full of twists and turns throughout.
Managing with no problem whatsoever to keep my full attention.
There were only a few teensy issues here for me and that was mainly down to my own personal reading preferences.
So first I really adored both t
Coco.V
Sep 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (9/15/18)!💝

Blurb:
A chance meeting with the mysterious Jack Ross changes everything. No matter how hard she tries to fight her desires for
Dana
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a roller coaster ride!!! When I read the synopsis for Island, I was intrigued.....Ms. Rose did not disappoint!!

There was romance, intrigue, mystery and so much more!!! Laura is a single mom (not by choice) who takes a holiday where she meets Jack; let the ride begin!!!

This was my first book by this author and I look forward to reading more.
Jennifer Pierson
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Island is the first book that I've read by S.E. Rose, and I find myself very intrigued by her talented writing style that was displayed throughout this story. Basically, Laura is a single mom who takes a quiet vacation to get her head straight, and this is where she meets Jack. And that's all that I'm going to give away, because I decided that everyone needs to read it blind, to really enjoy the experience of this emotional ride! Besides the romance, which I loved, there is mystery & suspense, w ...more
Becky Wise
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Island is full of love and suspense that will sure to keep you on your toes as well as turning those pages for more. It's such a beautiful story. I love Laura and Jack so much. All Laura wanted is a quiet place to work on her book and what she got is something she least expected, Jack. Jack is full of secrets at first but as his love for Laura grows and you learn more about him, you can't help but be pulled into this world. With danger around the bends and love on the horizon Laura and Jack ...more
Krista Sandor
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! I loved the characters and the story kept me on the edge of my seat!
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
What a roller coaster ride!!! When I read the synopsis for Island, I was intrigued.....Ms. Widman did not disappoint!!

This was my first book by this author and I look forward to reading more.

Reviewed by: Dana D.
Janise ~ Janise's Jivin'Book Book Blog ~
I could not put the book down, the book is based in Scotland and it sure made me feel like I was there. what a roller coaster of a ride, and such a wonderful way to get to know about other parts of the world from the authors eyes. Island is a great mystery, it's based around human trafficking and love. This story/series can be a hard read for some people, I know I could not put the book down I did have to take a minute before I moved onto book 2.
This was my first read by S.E. Rose and I have t
Heidi
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot, the character, the setting, and the story-but it was a bit lengthy. It was intriguing and I just had to know what happened next, which is why I stuck with it even though it felt long. And I never thought I’d ever say this: but the two MCs were constantly having sex. All the time. So much of it that I was tired on their behalf. There was a good bit that I think could have been cut out to make the story more cohesive or flow a bit better, though the inclusion of so much steamy ma ...more
Carolyn
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read

This is a fantastic book! An author goes to Scotland to finish her mystery book and falls for the gardener of the cottage she rents. Only the gardener is more than a gardener and she ends up living out a plot in a book. It’s full of drugs and sex traffickers, special agents, cheeses of the week and hot sexy scenes. I’m loving this series!
DarkRaven Reviews
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book that really makes you wonder what is going on.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was more of a 3.5 star for me, but I rounded up. So I must confess I read Book 2 (Secrets) first, so I already knew some of the outcomes. Did it ruin the book? No; however, it didn’t necessarily have the “a-ha” moments I was expecting.
What I really loved about this book was Jack and Laura’s love story. They are established adults who have faced some emotional hardships and find each other when they aren’t looking for anything. The newlywed attitude in their intimacy proved to show some seri
Jacqui Norris
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has such a romantic feel to it. S.E. Rose has written a story of romance that is easy to get lost in. She creates a visual journey through the countryside of Scotland overlooking the North Sea.
Laura Stevenson is an author who needs to get away from from her every day life. The death of her husband has left her feeling lost. Her children are grown and making lives for themselves. She rents a cottage in Scotland overlooking the North Sea. It's a peaceful place, which is exactly what she
Shiney
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what to say about this book. The description sounded intriguing, and it started out well enough.. My expectations for this book were far different than what it all worked out to be.

Basically Laura, an author, travels to a small town across the world to enjoy the summer writing in peace. She meets a slightly mysterious handsome guy baned Jack, that helps around the cottage she's renting out. But, their relationship and summer quickly take an overly dramatic unrealistic turn.

It took
Debra Phiri (Dragon Nanny)
What a story to start off an author with! SE Rose is an amazing talent with a great future! This book was full of action, heart, heartbreak and the amazing tale of two people who weren’t looking for love but found it anyway!

Now I know this was a work of fiction but so many things in it could indeed be real. I love how flawed the characters were and yet they were able to be whole and perfect with each other or maybe that’s for each other!

The story takes place in Scotland! My dream country and I
Cori Nichols
Island (Portentous Destiny Series Book 1)

By S.E. Rose

This book was great. The way we start the book off all the way to how it comes back to it at the end. I read this all in one day. It was that good of a book. The book started off with what felt like a mystery and then turned out to be so much more. Her writing style and scene building were wonderful. You could really see what she was showing you. There were some very hot parts. It never got old or rushed feeling. It is a sweet read as well. So
Heather Navarre
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, mystery and suspense all wrapped in one book

The first in a series of 5 books.

I really enjoyed this book. I really liked Laura and Jack. It is one thing to fall in love once but to get another chance is amazing.

Laura, a writer needing a change of scenery to finish her latest book, meets Jack a handsome man who takes care of the gardens where she is renting.

As the book goes on we find ourselves in the middle of a romance story but also one of mystery and edge of your seat scenes.

I hav
Heather
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Laura is a writer and a single mum to college aged kids. Unfortunately her husband died a few years before in a car crash. She comes to Scotland to get away from everything and finish writing her book. It’s here she meets Jack, initially she thought he was a groundsman and caretaker for her holiday cottage but as she gets to know Jack more there are a lot of mysteries surrounding him and his past. The 2 develop a relationship but Laura has to head back to the States suddenly when her daughter is ...more
Wendy Livingstone
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a new series from this talented author, and is Laura and Jack’s story. Laura has been left heartbroken, and just wants to lead a quiet life. Jack is a sexy gardener, who has many secrets and is hiding from his past. The chemistry between these two is intense, and they have to work together to overcome obstacles in their path. This is a well written story which is filled with angst, secrets, twists, suspense, danger, and love, which all had me on tenterhooks. I was total ...more
Angela
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so great!!! What an unexpected journey to find amazing love. Fate brought them together and love will keep them safe. Just when I thought I knew what was going on in this story the author completely blindsided me with a whole different twist...I knew Jack was hiding something from his past but wow didn't see all that coming!!! That is exactly what I love most about reading...the unexpected twist that leaves you unable to put the book down!!! 10 STAR READ!!! A new author for me and ...more
Natalie Casey
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! There is so much angst, steam, twists and turns that you don't see coming! it will have you on the edge of your seats in anticipation of what's coming next!!
Laura, a single mom who's going on a vacation for 3 months to a secluded little cabin "across the pond" so she can finish writing her novel. When she meets Jack, the gorgeous "caretaker", she has her world turned upside down, in every way possible, Good, bad, hot, intense and absolutely terrifying.
I don't want to gi
Bookish
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A chance meeting that leads to attraction between two people with broken hearts. Laura is just looking to find a peaceful place to write but can't help but find herself attracted to the mysterious Jack. But jack has a past he is running from and it might just complicate things. A wonderful balance of mystery, romance & intrigue with some well written characters. A book that you will enjoy reading by an author that will make want more. ...more
Alison Davis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I have never read a book from this author and boy have I been missing out!! This was so well written that you feel like you are living this story right along with the characters and you won't want to put it down until you read the entire book. Speaking of the characters, they had amazing chemistry and passion. With this book you also get passion, suspense, twists, turns, love, sadness and mystery. All the makings of a fantastic story!! Get your copy today.
Andrzejewski Amy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Island was a well written book by S.E. Rose. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the "Portentous Series". This book is an easy read and a page turner. It had steamy romance and was a suspenseful & a bit of a crime novel packed into its pages. It sucked me in from the first page. I loved how Laura was going to Scotland to go into seclusion to finish writing her novel. She could never of foresaw the adventure that was waiting for her ahead. ...more
LS Kralicek
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

Island makes you feel like you are standing on the edge of the island all the way through it. Laura and Jack both have history of past relationships. However, throw in love and mystery. It is a great read and leaves you wanting more
Joleen Grace
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspense and Romance

I wasn’t expecting this book to get so intense! It was o much of a romance and just that until it wasn’t! A lot of suspense. Hard hitting issues like human trafficking and so forth. It definitely keep me wanting to read after!
Isabel Debono
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was totally intrigued by the blurb for this book and it didn’t disappoint.
Romance, intrigue, mystery and plenty of twists to keep me guessing had me captivated throughout the book.
This was well written and great characters.
I was given an ARC but voluntarily chose to review
Karen
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed Jack and Laura's story. Was a bit slow in the beginning but then the story started to unfold. Looking forward to reading Lily's story and continuing the series.
Kate Stacy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read from S.E. Rose and I loved it! There's so much going on in the story that it's impossible not to get hooked! I absolutely love Laura and Jack!
Tonya Perry
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start to this series.

This was a great 1st book to this series. I can't wait to continue this series. Love.. mystery ..adventure and redemption. This books covers it all.

• Flirting With First (Belltown Six Pack, #5)
  • Working Stiff (Runaway Billionaires #1)
  • Holiday Terminal
  • Bitch Slap
  • His Ever After (Love, Emerson, #3)
  • The Reader
  • The Kiss Keeper
  • Man Fast (Bergen Brothers, #1)
  • Trust Me (West Side, #2)
  • Own the Eights Maybe Baby (Own the Eights, #3)
  • Exodus (The Ravenhood Duet, #2)
  • Mr. White (Case Brothers)
  • Return by Land (Glacier Adventure, #2)
  • Between the Shadows (Lake Lanier Mysteries, #3)
  • The Dirty Ones
  • The Beginning of Home (Langley Park #3)
  • A Case of Serendipity
  • The McLoughlin Brothers Series Boxed Set (McLoughlin Brothers, #1-3)
USA Today & International Bestselling romance author, S.E. Rose lives near Washington D.C. with her family. When she's not wrangling her cats or keeping up with her kids, she's plotting her next story.

She loves all things wine, coffee, and cats. In her non-existent free time, she enjoys traveling, going to concerts, binging on her favorite shows, and reading, especially if it's a good mystery or

Deceitful Destiny (5 books)
  • Secrets (Portentous Destiny Series Book 2)
  • Bravura (Deceitful Destiny Series, #3)
  • Determination (Deceitful Destiny Series, #4)
  • Home (Deceitful Destiny Series, #5)