Start by marking “Pet” as Want to Read:
Pet

Pet

Pet is here to hunt a monster.
Are you brave enough to look?

There are no more monsters anymore, or so the children in the city of Lucille are taught. With doting parents and a best friend named Redemption, Jam has grown up with this lesson all her life. But when she meets Pet, a creature made of horns and colours and claws, who emerges from one of her mother's paintings and
Published September 10th 2019 by Make Me a World

To ask other readers questions about Pet, please sign up.
Alisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Pet
karen
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

All knowledge is good knowledge, Pet said.

I don’t know if that’s true, Jam thought back. It doesn’t feel true right now.

Truth doesn’t care if it feels true or not. It is true nonetheless.

in the world of books and publishing, some titles are marketed as YA with the expectation that they will have crossover appeal into the adult market, and some are intended to pull in strong-reading tweens looking to grow out of their middle grade options.

this one feels like it was written for
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"Who is even the target audience for this book?" I asked, while stirring my tea and clutching my pearls. No, but seriously, I'm not sure what age group this book is intended for. On the inside of the book, it says 12+ but I'm not 100% sure about that...

PET is the story of a young girl named Jam. She lives in this "utopian" society where people called "angels" have gotten rid of all the "monsters." From what I can tell, these angels and
Elyse  Walters
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having been a ridiculously-crazy-mind-blowing fan of “FRESHWATER”, by Akwaeke Emezi’s debut autobiographical novel - It took seconds to request a copy of “PET”, the moment I saw the book on Netgalley.

I love the “About the Book”, sentence....created by the advertising folks:
“PET IS HERE TO HUNT A MONSTER. ARE YOU BRAVE ENOUGH TO LOOK?”

Yes...yes...yes....I put on my ‘brave’ hat, wrapped myself in my new gorgeous ‘brave’ blanket ( made by my wonderful-moon-friend) - snuggled into my ‘brave’
Acqua
Pet is a story about how evil – any kind of evil – thrives in plain sight when people start refusing to look for it, to acknowledge that it can and does exist. It’s a story about how this refusal of any kind of discomfort, this hiding from the world’s truth, hurts and silences victims.

It follows Jam, a black trans girl with selective mutism who lives in Lucille, a town in a future version of America that would look like an utopia to us. Not only the people around Jam accept all of her as she is,
Kai
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
when a highly awaited book actually exceeds my expectations all I wanna do is cry and give a sacrificial offering to whatever gods held its fate in their hands
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
First, some notes on representation.

Black, trans girl lead who is selectively verbal and uses sign language frequently
Entirely black cast
Jam's best friend has three parents (they are in a polyamorous relationship and one of the parents uses they/them pronouns)

Now, onto the book itself.

For a book that was so hard for me to describe prior to reading it, this has a relatively straightforward premise. It is set in the world of Lucille, a place where righteous "angels" have eliminated all monsters.
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
A refreshing #OwnVoices story offering a fresh, highly relevant take on the concept of angels and monsters, Pet proves that Akwaeke Emezi can write for younger audiences just as well as they can for adults.

Pet is, at its heart, a story about finding and eliminating evil, even—or especially—when that evil goes unnoticed by most. Jam, a selectively-nonverbal black trans girl, finds herself caught in a moral quandary when a terrifying creature climbs out of one of her mother’s paintings and into
The Artisan Geek
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookcase, favourites
------------------VIDEO REVIEW------------------

15/9/19
My chest is heavy, my throat is rough and my eyes are tearing. What a story, I can't believe it's over! I don't think I have ever been so upset for a story to finish. Emezi's writing is nothing less than remarkable and I need more - Freshwater it is. Will be uploading a review to my Youtube channel as soon as possible!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This is a short read, but don't underestimate the power of this book. Because, wow, this book will pack a punch and the climax of the book will twist your insides.

- Follows Jam, a Black and trans teen with selective mutism, who accidentally summons the monster in her mother's painting - and the monster, called Pet, is on the hunt for a monster in her best friend's house.
- Set in a town of Lucille, where 'angels' (good and righteous people) have eliminated all 'monsters' (bad people) from the
TL
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fault-of-nenia
Meh for me
Rincey
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author
3.5 stars for me, but would probably be a 4-5 star book for someone in the age range of this book. The ideas and themes in here are really important but it just sometimes felt kind of heavy handed and obvious (but again, I'm an adult).

Camryn
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was amazing. I wasn't sure what I've expecting; I've read the author's adult book and thought it was good, but really trippy, and I didn't completely understand it. With PET, I completely understood what was going on, and even guessed what would happen at some point, but that didn't make it any less impactful.

A lot of people have been talking about how they want younger YA, and I think this is an excellent example. It's not MG, but I doubt Jam and her best friend, Redemption, are
Lata
My first book by this author, I was deeply impressed by Akwaeke Emezi’s world, its fascinating details and her gorgeous writing.
Jam, a transgender girl who chooses to speak mostly in sign language, lives in a place where there are no longer monsters. The monsters were vanquished by angels, who gave terribly of themselves to free this world from evil.
Jam’s life is idyllic, her parents love one another and her, and are kind people. Jam has a good friend, Redemption, and they enjoy each other’s
Dahlia
This was just so smart, so fast? That feels like such a silly thing to say but I was just so impressed with how much the author accomplished in the first chapter alone. The whole book felt really short without feeling incomplete, quick and relevant, and it made me really glad I also own FRESHWATER. I also can’t not mention that I’m pretty sure this is traditional publishing’s first trans girl MC of color, so I’m glad that milestone is in a great book! (CW: CSA)
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* It’s rare I can say that a book is ‘unlike anything I’ve ever read’ and mean it in the literal sense but Pet is truly and literally unlike anything I’ve ever read. It was moving, profound, self aware, heart warming, heart breaking, diverse and magical.
The first few pages alone blew me away and continued to do so until the last.
Tyler
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose only one author to read for the rest of my life, it would be Akwaeke Emezi. This book is beautiful and brilliant, and I will carry Emezi’s words with me for a long, long time.
The Captain
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

I wanted to read this book because of the tagline "How do you save the world from monsters if no one will admit they exist?" I thought this would be fun. Instead, this book was heart-warming, heart-wrenching, and vitally important. Because this book focuses on the real monsters in our own world hiding behind the pleasant masks and titles and opinions
Em
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, dissapointing
This is one of the books that, after I finished reading it, decided that I loved it, even though it really isn't the case. The book, yes, is important in some regards, but the execution of it was really just okay. Having read this book months ago, I truly feel like I was blindsided by the unique, innovative concept, that I ignored the fact this just isn't great. The writing feels middle grade, with the overly quirky names and poor world building, but then it has a truly terrifying climax that ...more
Mandy
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I love books that surprise me and challenge my initial assumptions. For some strange reason - I still can't explain it - neither the title nor description nor hardcover edition of Akwaeke Emezi's Pet appealed to me and it horrifies me to imagine how that could have meant the end for this wonderful book and me. Luckily the book was shortlisted for the National Book Awards 2019 Prize for Young Adult Literature and I realised that I very much needed to read it.

The problem I'm facing now is that I'm
Michelle
A wise man once said that ignorance is bliss. PET is a story about a fictional town called Lucille. Its citizens believe they have rid their city of monsters.
Monsters who . . . "shoot people who don't look like them".
Monsters who . . . "use religion to control people".
Monsters in power.

Lucille is supposed to be a place that is free of these human monsters. So when Jam comes across a creature formed from her mother's painting and a few drops of her blood, she doesn't know what to make of it. A
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
This book.

This book made me cringe. Made me want to look away. Made me grit my teeth and feel the sort of sads I had valiantly pushed away for years now. Then it somehow twisted and in the raw furrows it had dug in my heart, it planted hope.

I think maybe hope was present from the very beginning, in the idea that a city had been created where they had chased all the monsters out. (In Pet, “monsters” refers to real-life monsters. Corrupt politicians, rapists, child abusers, and so on.) It was a
Kazia
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
This book is a heckin MASTERPIECE and the fact that it didn't win the NBA is a travesty.
Sana
'We're alive because we can be hurt; we're alive because we can heal.'

THIS WAS GREAT. Somewhat repititive despite being short, but with some very powerful messages regarding family, identity, choices, justice and abuse.

Pet is an own voices book about a trans main character however, where the author is non-binary, Jam identifies as female. Pet is set in a contemporary fantasy world where angels once battled the monsters and overcame them. The terms are used as allegories for the kinds of humans
Sarah Ames-Foley
This review can also be found on my blog.

After absolutely loving Freshwater, there wasn’t a question in my mind of whether or not I’d pick up Pet. I was actually lucky enough to grab a copy off Netgalley! Pet tells the story of a black trans girl named Jam, who lives in a utopian society where all “monsters” have been vanquished. The problem is, an otherworldly creature crawls out of a painting created by Jam’s mother and insists that there is a monster, and that it has come to hunt it.

I found
Claire
Oh my god, I don't even have the words for this book. I've been trying to talk (to everyone) about it for days, since I started it, and everything falls short. I felt like it had my heart in a vise. I felt this book through my entire body, especially that sick, sinking feeling in my gut, the whole time I was reading it.

You know how in the beginning of The Giver and other perfect-until-they're-not societies, as the reader you're all, yeah, but I wouldn't REALLY want this simulacrum of life
Amyn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fucking fantastic!
Corinne Keener
We reviewed Pet for episode 55.5 of The Bookstore podcast which you can find wherever you get your podcasts.

I'm a grown now, so my opinions on Young Adult stuff should always be taken with a grain of salt. And I fully recognize that I've likely come down a little harder than necessary on books for younger folks.

Lots of great stuff in this one though:
1. Representation: Jam is trans, but the story isn't about her transition which feels like a huge step in literature in general, not just for books
Joanne Kelleher
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read for my book clubs, I make sure that I have some post-its handy to mark the passages that I want to discuss with the group. The first chapter of Pet exhausted my starter supply of post-its; its rich language, ideas, metaphors, and characters left me breathless and uncomfortable. At the end of those first 20 pages, I had to pause to acknowledge that I was in unchartered territory. I thought I was entering a world of make-believe, where the character portrayed on the cover in her ...more
Sammie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2019
You can read my full review on my blog, The Writerly Way, here.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Make Me a World for an eARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.

Pet is the story of a girl who lives in a perfect city where monsters were driven away years ago … or so they thought. It’s a story that reminds us that monsters can have many faces.

I seem to be in the minority here, but to me, Pet was an okay read that had potential but almost seemed like it tried to do too much and somehow, at the
Nadine
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel terrible about this one star review since Emezi's novel Freshwater is one of my all-time favorite books and I still see her as a budding writer of genius. I've never rated a book after reading just 17 pages, but in this case the writing on the wall was too clear. While I agree 1000% with the author's outlook, this book feels like a checklist of political correctness with characters and story awkardly draped over it. The overly sweet cheeriness of the language feels patronizing and ...more

• Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • Clean Getaway
  • The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Queen of the Sea
What does a monster look like? Jam asked.

Her mother focused on her, cupping her cheek in a chalky hand. "Monsters don't look like anything, doux-doux. That's the whole point. That's the whole problem.”
4 likes
“Adults were like that so much of the time, inflexible when they thought they had something to protect.” 2 likes