Start by marking “Pet” as Want to Read:
Pet

Pet

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  6,966 ratings  ·  1,732 reviews
Pet is here to hunt a monster.
Are you brave enough to look?

There are no more monsters anymore, or so the children in the city of Lucille are taught. With doting parents and a best friend named Redemption, Jam has grown up with this lesson all her life. But when she meets Pet, a creature made of horns and colours and claws, who emerges from one of her mother's paintings and
Published September 10th 2019 by Make Me a World

To ask other readers questions about Pet, please sign up.
Alisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
CloneCommando559 While the character is transgender, it is not a theme of the book. It is mentioned in a chapter, and then doesn't come up for the rest of the book. It…moreWhile the character is transgender, it is not a theme of the book. It is mentioned in a chapter, and then doesn't come up for the rest of the book. It has LGTBQ+ characters, but I don't think it has it as a theme. (less)

·  6,966 ratings  ·  1,732 reviews

Start your review of Pet
The Artisan Geek
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, bookcase
------------------VIDEO REVIEW------------------

15/9/19
My chest is heavy, my throat is rough and my eyes are tearing. What a story, I can't believe it's over! I don't think I have ever been so upset for a story to finish. Emezi's writing is nothing less than remarkable and I need more - Freshwater it is. Will be uploading a review to my Youtube channel as soon as possible!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
karen
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

All knowledge is good knowledge, Pet said.

I don’t know if that’s true, Jam thought back. It doesn’t feel true right now.

Truth doesn’t care if it feels true or not. It is true nonetheless.

in the world of books and publishing, some titles are marketed as YA with the expectation that they will have crossover appeal into the adult market, and some are intended to pull in strong-reading tweens looking to grow out of their middle grade options.

this one feels like it was written for th
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"Who is even the target audience for this book?" I asked, while stirring my tea and clutching my pearls. No, but seriously, I'm not sure what age group this book is intended for. On the inside of the book, it says 12+ but I'm not 100% sure about that...

PET is the story of a young girl named Jam. She lives in this "utopian" society where people called "angels" have gotten rid of all the "monsters." From what I can tell, these angels and m
mina reads™️
This book was beautiful and haunting and i absolutely cried at the end

cw: child abuse, csa specifically
Kai
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
when a highly awaited book actually exceeds my expectations all I wanna do is cry and give a sacrificial offering to whatever gods held its fate in their hands
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
First, some notes on representation.

➾Black, trans girl lead who is selectively verbal and uses sign language frequently
➾Entirely black cast
➾Jam's best friend has three parents (they are in a polyamorous relationship and one of the parents uses they/them pronouns)

Now, onto the book itself.

For a book that was so hard for me to describe prior to reading it, this has a relatively straightforward premise. It is set in the world of Lucille, a place where righteous "angels" have eliminated all monster
megs_bookrack
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars**

Angels can look like many things. So can monsters.

Wow, this book is a lot to swallow. It is heavy with so much to process.

Pet is a wildly creative story following, Jam, a black transgirl, living in a sort of metaphorical Utopian city called, Lucille.

In this futuristic-feeling city, the angels have gotten rid of the all the monsters. There are no monsters left, or so they say.

Jam lives with her parents, Bitter and Aloe. They are so loving and supportive of Jam. She is content.

That i
Elyse  Walters
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having been a ridiculously-crazy-mind-blowing fan of “FRESHWATER”, by Akwaeke Emezi’s debut autobiographical novel - It took seconds to request a copy of “PET”, the moment I saw the book on Netgalley.

I love the “About the Book”, sentence....created by the advertising folks:
“PET IS HERE TO HUNT A MONSTER. ARE YOU BRAVE ENOUGH TO LOOK?”

Yes...yes...yes....I put on my ‘brave’ hat, wrapped myself in my new gorgeous ‘brave’ blanket ( made by my wonderful-moon-friend) - snuggled into my ‘brave’ chair
Acqua
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pet is a story about how evil – any kind of evil – thrives in plain sight when people start refusing to look for it, to acknowledge that it can and does exist. It’s a story about how this refusal of any kind of discomfort, this hiding from the world’s truth, hurts and silences victims.

It follows Jam, a black trans girl with selective mutism who lives in Lucille, a town in a future version of America that would look like an utopia to us. Not only the people around Jam accept all of her as she is,
keya ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
perfect in almost every way. probably one of my favourite reads of the year. highly, highly recommended!!
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
A refreshing #OwnVoices story offering a fresh, highly relevant take on the concept of angels and monsters, Pet proves that Akwaeke Emezi can write for younger audiences just as well as they can for adults.

Pet is, at its heart, a story about finding and eliminating evil, even—or especially—when that evil goes unnoticed by most. Jam, a selectively-nonverbal black trans girl, finds herself caught in a moral quandary when a terrifying creature climbs out of one of her mother’s paintings and into t
Mir
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, fantasy
How do you stop monsters if no one admits they exist?

Jam's mother paints a hybrid creature with goat legs, a furred and twisted torso, long gold-feathered arms with metal-clawed human hands stiched crudely on. It has ram's horns and a feathered face and a mouth that spews smoke.
The creature in the painting comes to life.
This is not the monster.
Anniek
I keep having so much trouble writing 5 star reviews. I just want to say: please read this, it's amazing.

So: please read this, it's amazing. This book is about a Black trans girl with selective mutism - sometimes she speaks, sometimes she uses sign language. It deals with morality, and with the importance to believe victims.

CWs: pedophilia/child sexual abuse (not explicit), descriptions of blood and wounds, some body horror
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
A deceptively complex high middle grade / low YA about Jam, a 16-year-old sometimes mute Black trans girl who lives in a near future supposed utopia where all the "monsters" have been eradicated. But when she accidentally helps a creature from her mom's painting come alive, it tells her there is a monster in her friend Redemption's house. Heartbreaking and profound. One of the book's most salient points is how adults dismiss and outright ignore signs of abuse and children when they try
Camryn
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was amazing. I wasn't sure what I've expecting; I've read the author's adult book and thought it was good, but really trippy, and I didn't completely understand it. With PET, I completely understood what was going on, and even guessed what would happen at some point, but that didn't make it any less impactful.

A lot of people have been talking about how they want younger YA, and I think this is an excellent example. It's not MG, but I doubt Jam and her best friend, Redemption, are olde
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This is a short read, but don't underestimate the power of this book. Because, wow, this book will pack a punch and the climax of the book will twist your insides.

- Follows Jam, a Black and trans teen with selective mutism, who accidentally summons the monster in her mother's painting - and the monster, called Pet, is on the hunt for a monster in her best friend's house.
- Set in a town of Lucille, where 'angels' (good and righteous people) have eliminated all 'monsters' (bad people) from the tow
Rincey
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author
3.5 stars for me, but would probably be a 4-5 star book for someone in the age range of this book. The ideas and themes in here are really important but it just sometimes felt kind of heavy handed and obvious (but again, I'm an adult).

Justine
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2020-read

Based on the summary and on the cover I anticipated Pet would be an allegorical tale aimed at younger readers. In fact, despite an almost fairy tale feel in the way the story is told, it is pretty darn literal, and clearly aimed at a broader audience.

While there is a supernatural element (Pet), the monsters are most definitely of the mundane variety (people). The book isn't overly graphic, but neither does it mince words. What other true word is there for a child abuser? The climactic s
Nadine
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel terrible about this one star review since Emezi's novel Freshwater is one of my all-time favorite books and I still see her as a budding writer of genius. I've never rated a book after reading just 17 pages, but in this case the writing on the wall was too clear. While I agree 1000% with the author's outlook, this book feels like a checklist of political correctness with characters and story awkardly draped over it. The overly sweet cheeriness of the language feels patronizing and didacti ...more
Bookishrealm
This book was beyond deep...I don't think I even have the words to describe what I just read. I really think that this is one that I need to sit on and possibly read again before the year is over. I don't think that it's for everyone and there are quite a few things that can be considered content warnings. Wow...I think I'm still speechless.
Dahlia
This was just so smart, so fast? That feels like such a silly thing to say but I was just so impressed with how much the author accomplished in the first chapter alone. The whole book felt really short without feeling incomplete, quick and relevant, and it made me really glad I also own FRESHWATER. I also can’t not mention that I’m pretty sure this is traditional publishing’s first trans girl MC of color, so I’m glad that milestone is in a great book! (CW: CSA)
Tori (InToriLex)
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read featuring a fantastic creature who is determined to lead the protagonist Jam toward a monster in the midst of her community. Jam is a trans girl who is able to start her transition early with the full support of her family. She also uses a lot of sign language to communicate and can relate to her surroundings in a special way. She was a strong but realistic girl who is empowered by every part of her identity to find evil.

Throughout this book the young characters have to co
Boston
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Taylor
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5

“The problem is, when you think you’ve been without monsters for so long, sometimes you forget what they look like, what they sound like, no matter how much remembering your education urges you to do. It’s not the same when the monsters are gone. You’re only remembering shadows of them, stories that seem to be limited to the pages or screens you read them from. Flat and dull things. So, yes, people forget. But forgetting is dangerous. Forgetting is how the monsters come back.”

...

Oh my. Pet wa
Emma
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of the books that, after I finished reading it, decided that I loved it, even though it really isn't the case. The book, yes, is important in some regards, but the execution of it was really just okay. Having read this book months ago, I truly feel like I was blindsided by the unique, innovative concept, that I ignored the fact this just isn't great. The writing feels middle grade, with the overly quirky names and poor world building, but then it has a truly terrifying climax that ma ...more
iam
This was BRILLIANT, there's not a part of this I didn't love.
Despite playing in an utopian city, Pet is very much relevant today. It's about the unseen, invisible monstrosities going on right in front of our eyes, not because they are hidden but because we are ignorant - by choice, out of fear and out of habit.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: violence, blinding, character cuts herself on razor blades by accident; mentions of sexual child abuse.

I finished Pet filled
TL
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fault-of-nenia
Meh for me
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* It’s rare I can say that a book is ‘unlike anything I’ve ever read’ and mean it in the literal sense but Pet is truly and literally unlike anything I’ve ever read. It was moving, profound, self aware, heart warming, heart breaking, diverse and magical.
The first few pages alone blew me away and continued to do so until the last.
Tyler
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose only one author to read for the rest of my life, it would be Akwaeke Emezi. This book is beautiful and brilliant, and I will carry Emezi’s words with me for a long, long time.
Skokie Public Lib...: Question 6: Anything else? 6 7 Jul 17, 2020 12:22PM