Start by marking “Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics” as Want to Read:
Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics

Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics (Graphic Classics #14)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Gothic Classics presents Ann Radcliffe's archetypal gothic novel The Mysteries of Udopho, adapted by Antonella Caputo and Carlo Vergara. Plus: Jane Austen's gothic parody Northanger Abbey" by Trina Robbins and Anne Timmons; and Poe's "The Oval Portrait" by Malaysian illustrator Leong Wan Kok. Also "At the Gate," a ghost story with dogs by Myla Jo Closser, illustrated by Sh ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Eureka Productions (first published May 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Classics, Volume 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Classics, Volume 14

Jean
Gothic Classics is number 14 in the series "Graphic Classics" This volume was published in 2007, and has been edited by Tom Pomplun. It contains adaptations of three classic novels, two short stories and a poem. The authors represented are Jane Austen, Sheridan Le Fanu, Ann Radcliffe, Edgar Allan Poe and Myla Jo Closser.

The first main piece is an adaptation of Carmilla by J. Sheridan le Fanu, illustrated in a whimsical style by Lisa K. Weber, a Californian artist. Her twisted representations of
Bry
Carmilla - 5 STARS
By Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Illustrated by Lisa K. Weber

The art for this story is be far the best in the anthology. Lisa Weber's illustrations are smooth, curvy, layered, and detailed. The characters are innocent appearing, voluptuous, and creamy looking. The extreme proportions such as the large eyes, tiny hands and waists draw attention, and focus to the subtle expressions and movements she gives the characters. What really sets it apart though is that the finished product is
Nicola Mansfield
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My actual rating is 4.5* as the last story just didn't do it for me. Out of 5 stories and one poem, the first 4 stories are classic Gothic tales by the great authors of the genre from their period in time. Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu was fantastic; a vampire story which influenced Stoker. I love this prolific Victorian short story writer and this was my favourite in the collection. Then comes Ann Radcliffe's "The Mysteries of Udolpho", a classic of the genre and considered one of the first s ...more
David

I wish I had been more entertained by this book. Gothic stories are my favourites, but many of the elements I love best seem to have been missing here: That creepy aura that goes with them as you discover something is /wrong/... and the lovely eye-candy of the various eras that they were written about...

They managed to take some truly unsettling, even terrifying stories and reduce them to the old "and then this happened. then this happened. then they suspected a bad thing, but this happened. the
Bekah
This was a great little collection. I had only previously read one of the adapted stories, so it was fun to be introduced to these gothic classics in illustrated form. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Carmilla (written by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, adapted by Rod Lott, illustrated by Lisa K. Weber). The story was interesting and spooky, but more than that I really loved the artwork. It reminded me a lot of The Corpse Bride (the characters looking angular, gaunt, and big eyed.) In all, a fu ...more
Suzanne
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Some of the stories were better displayed than others but overall it was an interesting and quick read. My favorite story was definitely "The Mysteries of Udolpho." But "At the Gate" was also a lovely story to picture. I would like to think that my best furry friends will be waiting to greet me at the gate.
Cecilia
This is an interesting book. Some of the novels are very well adapted, but I feel that in other cases reading the original novel is so much better. Great illustrations on "Carmilla". The story that I like best was "The Mysteries of Udolpho". A good way to get an intro into the World of the Gothic Novel :).
Julie
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A collection of Gothic literature done in graphic novel form. Presumably to garner a new audience. The stories were adapted OK. I wish there was more suspense in the Poe. I do like the way Northanger Abbey referenced the previous story.
Tiffany Kramer
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I was immediately intrigued by the idea behind this series. Since high school I've liked classic Gothic tales and figured I might enjoy them even more being retold in graphic novel form. There where a few that wont bad but over all I couldn't connect.
Heather
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, gothic
My class really admired the version of Carmilla in this volume -- we had a great time discussing the choices the illustrator made to capture the spirit of the original text. I like the version of Poe's "The Oval Portrait" included in this volume as well.
Ed
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix-comix
A chilling suite of yarns based on gothic fiction classics. An easy read. Polish it off on a windy night with raindrops and swaying branches tapping on the windows, and feeble moonlight struggling through the swiftly moving clouds.
Sonja
I really liked a few of these stories but I think most of them didn't work for me. I'm also not convinced that Northanger Abbey makes sense in this collection despite its references to Udolpho...was confusing to me at the very least.
Megan
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Carmilla was 5 STARS, brilliant story telling and graphics.
I also really enjoyed Mysteries of Udolpho.
the rest meh....
I got this one specifically for Northanger Abbey, but it was pretty blah, which the actual book is not.

Maerdi
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Cute concept, but I suspect all of the original works have been dreadfully oversimplified, with the most important bits cast aside in favor of that which is visually arresting.
Phil
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it
liked the art in carmilla,cute storie.the rest of the stories were ok.
Kerry
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, scary
I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels, but I really liked this one. Creepy, and dark, with awesome illustrations, it held my interest throughout.
Erika
Not sure if it's the graphic novel format or just that I'm not that much into gothic novels - but this wasn't my favorite.
Nicole Harris
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the graphic classics so far - probably because of the whole gothic thing....
Sara
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art was slightly elementary.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
Great book! 5 excellent stories! I bought it for Northanger Abbey, but really enjoyed the others as well.
Charllinee
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
this will be the best book i have read all year.
Marti
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, adult
Loved seeing these stories illustrated. They made me want to check out some of the actual novels, which I did! :)
Jenny
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
It was nice to have a quick way of reading several gothic stories that I am only mildly curious about. The graphic novel form suited the stories.
Scott
Nov 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics-and-manga
Sigh. Outside of Le Fanu and Poe, the other stories were boring and drawn in a style akin to the old Prince Valiant comics. Not at all what I expected.
Amber Bryant
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good.
Ice Queen Wanderer •The Cursed Prophetess•
Carmilla was great, same with The Oval Portait, but was ruined by the others.
Gretta
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read many graphic novels, but j thought this one did a fabulous job of visualizing some of my favorite gothic fiction.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Wasn't especially thrilled by this.
Ange
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alas, I'm not into the graphic arts. Was fun, though.
Lauren
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Doctor Who Classics Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Nightmare Factory, Vol. 2
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Marvel Fairy Tales
  • Three Vampire Tales: Dracula, Carmilla, and the Vampyre
  • Tapping the Vein (Tapping the Vein #1-5)
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville, #3)
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • How to Write Tales of Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3
  • Read Yourself Raw
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Nelson
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse Ultimate Collection

Graphic Classics (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe