Start by marking “Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)

Hidden in Darkness

(In Darkness #1)

When Felix lands a job taking care of a man recovering from severe injuries, he thinks his life may have just turned around. Anything has to be better than the place he’s leaving. There’s something about Lane that draws Felix to him and makes him question if this place could finally become a home for him.

But when someone begins stalking Felix, he is left to question who L

Published February 17th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Hidden in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden in Darkness

Start your review of Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
☆ Todd
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

After reading and absolutely *loving* Winters' "Hitman's Guide" series, I was dying for more stories similar to that of Leland and Jackson's, and this one mostly delivered.

When 25 y.o. loner Felix was hired to assist 37 y.o. sight-impaired Lane, things turned from snark and banter to running from, and toward, bad guys pretty quickly.

While I'm normally not a fan of cops and crime ring stories at all, this book actually held my attention, but I think that was mostly down to Felix, who wouldn't kno
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I actually started this only to put it back down. I read two other books before deciding to give it another go. I didn't even get five pages in before doing that. I think I just wasn't in the right mood. Thank gosh I opened this baby back up because I haven't laughed or enjoyed myself while reading in quite some time. I am big fan of humor in my books as I am in my tv shows and movies. I love to laugh and this book brought out the LOL's often. I loved the dynamic between Lane and Felix.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 07, 2018 marked it as not-gonna-be-able-to-do-it
DNF at 15%.

Oh. My. God. It is not possible I am reading the same book that everyone else read.

This is bad.

Ugh. First off, why would this job even be given to Felix? Second, it is not funny, AT ALL. It is juvenile and cringe-worthy. And the sex? What? How did that even just happen? Gross. I am so uncomfortable.

Just no.

I just re-read the blurb and scanned some reviews. I can't see this getting any better. What I hate seems to be what everyone else loved. I am throwing in the towel.
Jilly
I've read a couple of series by this author and have really liked them. Her The Hitman's Guide to Making Friends and Finding Love was super funny, and the vampire series has great characters. But, you know, I tempted fate and fate screwed me.

That about sums it up.

This one has a 37 year old cop who was blinded and tortured being all angsty in his house alone and the 25 year old guy with no qualifications sent in to care for him. The younger guy is Felix and he is tiny and adorable with a sarcasti
Gerbera_Reads
I will leave this book without rating because frankly I really don't know how to rate it. It was DNF at 50% for me. It should have been an awesome read due to a kicka$$ prologue but I completely disliked MCs. There was no chemistry between them and they just didn't mesh at all.

Lane is wounded and blind. I get that but his brand of humor is downright cruel. There is a saying: "In every joke there is a part joke - the rest is truth". It felt like he was insulting Felix for no reason and I didn't
Deborah

I have such mixed feelings on this book.

Having just read and loved the two Hitman books this seemed like the natural progression.

There’s a lot here to like. Both Felix and Lane for example. Plus there’s never a dull moment. There’s also a light humour and sarcasm running through it. It’s not laugh out loud funny like Hitman.

But I did struggle with several things. It’s totally crazy. I know that probably makes no sense since it doesn’t get crazier than Leland but... Leland was crazy from the ge
Susan
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
Right... so, I didn't like this. I know I didn't really try since I DNF at 12%, but that first sex scene was so awful it made me throw in the towel.

The casual way in which Felix has sex with the person he is hired to care for really didn't sit well with me. The entire scene was also devoid of any hotness or chemistry. It was like these guys were discussing what to eat that night instead of seducing each other.

I don't think I can believe in the romance after that scene.
Micah
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Did not finish. The main character is a caretaker & the other main character, his employer, is blind and in a wheelchair. On The second day of work, the caretaker has sex with his employer. IN WHAT WORLD!? I thought it was going to turn out to be a dream sequence. Not today Satan. Not today, I don’t need this in my life.
Lori¸¸¸.•*❀Ɍɛɑɗs̱LɪƙɛIʈs̱H̱ɛɍJɔɓ  유❤유
Once again I am in the minority and didn't really care for this book. I honestly didn't find it funny. Like another reviewer said it was "juvenile and cringe-worthy." I didn't understand the insta-sex, it just seemed so out of place and I just couldn't connect with the characters.

I was really hoping this would work for me because I love a good, snarky comedy, but I guess this just wasn't my kind of humor.
Courtney Bassett
SO funny!!

This looks like an ominous book, given the title and cover, right? Don’t be fooled! I giggled the entire way through like a crazy person, highlighting passage after passage.

Felix - GOD, I adore him. Who else would play pranks on a blind person and yank him out of his self-pity? There is action, there are sexy times, but above all else, there is laughter. Don’t miss this one!

10/18 - second time through, I loved it even MORE. This is definitely an all-time favorite.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.2 Stars

As I said in an update, the snark was strong with this one. I kinda loved that. I think Joel's narration was spot-on; he's so hit or miss for me - luckily this performance was a home-run. It read/sounded like a blockbuster movie, honestly, with the over-the-top action and a blind hero kicking all sorts of ass, one I wouldn't actually mind seeing! (Also, the whodunit plot kept me interested with the twists and turns and unexpected developments.)
Eugenia
Oct 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, ku, dnf
DNF @ 10%. This book was not snarky, it was mean and had a ridiculous set-up of sex with a blind boss on day two. Nope! 👎
Debra
I wasn't sure at first how this book was going to go. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it from the start but their first hook-up was really kind of creepy. Just the way it happened seemed a bit wrong (and while I am all for wrong in the right circumstances, it just didn't fit the way the book was going). Anyway, once I got past that part, I had a hell of a lot of fun with this story.

Both Felix and Lane can be jerks, but it works so well for them. Lane needs it as a push to get moving and Felix wie
*TANYA*
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to really like this one, the synopsis was great, the actual book was just okay. Something about this story just didn’t cut it for me. Oops.
Bo
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a tough review to write for me. I needed a day to figure out the rating, and my thoughts. Let me just say the prologue will grab your attention from the start. We have a guy that's being tortured and blinded trying to escape his captors. It definitely started the book off with a bang. Let me first say that the cover was misleading to me. I was expecting covert ops or an assassin type for the MC on the cover, but he's not. I will not spoil it for people who want to read the book. Felix ha ...more
♡❀✦☞ Sammy ☜✦❀♡
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4.5 Funny as shit/badass Stars!
BWT

Such terrific narration! I honestly don't know if I would have kept going if I'd tried only visually reading the book. The humor in this is brought out so much more (and better) in Joel Leslie's delivery of the lines than I think in the actual written word. It's all in the delivery.

The two main characters, Felix and Lane, have the sort of "I hate that I kind of like you" attitude in the beginning with one another and Leslie not only pulls off their banter beautifully, but made me believe these t
Melissa
I am not sure what to think of this. I found it funny in a juvenile fratbro way. 😕 Felix is an ass to Lane and vice versa. I don't particularly like these characters and the story...please. I've read more realistic plots in the funny pages. And yet I will try the next book in the series. Why? Because I am a sick, sick person. I will likely regret it.

Joel Leslie narration was great and the only reason I kept going I think.

3ish stars.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Wow. I loved he snarky dialogue in this book. It was OTT in the plot for sure - but I liked both Lane and Felix and had a lot of fun with them. You think it's going one way and it goes another. The intro really draws you in - and this is a good combo of actually really bad things happening to a MC and some great dialogue between the characters that make them seem perfect for each other. Recommended! ...more
Chris
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well I really loved this ! Snarky, sassy and fun. Great pace and cleverly written. Felix is absolutely adorable and Lane is the grouch. While both men have challenging issues they really compliment each other. Loved it !
Kazza
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book had so much promise and started somewhat interestingly. I didn't mind the fact that both guys had attitudes. People with a disability, particularly when it's new, can be sarcastic and shitty and a non tea and sympathy response can work.

The first sex scene was a silly plot device to make the two men hit it off, and for the banter to continue in a more 'we gay dudes get along now' way. It was tacky from the way it happened to the reasons it happened. I was willing to overlook it because
JenMcJ
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Don't give up on this one early. I almost quit this book a few pages in. The quick sexual relationship and how it comes about between Lane and Felix was just....uncomfortable enough for me to think the book might not be for me. Additionally, the banter, although snarky can be read to be mean spirited. But, the snarky ridiculous back and forth between Lane and Felix engaged me and I found I liked these guys. Don't be surprised though if you just can't get into this one. It's really not going to b ...more
Jenni Lea
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible

Hands down one of the best audiobooks I've listened to this year. Joel Leslie brought this book to life. Fabulous narration!
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Lane 💜 Felix

The first 30% of this book is something I struggled my way through. For instance, the first time Lane and Felix hooked up was so cringeworthy that it left me feeling completely awkward after. There was absolutely nothing s3xy about it. One minute Felix is caring for him the next they're having six 😳 However, if you can make your way through that, the book does make a turn and gets better.

Lane and Felix work together to take down the guy who took Lane's sight. Felix may not be familia
Sanaa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Why is it that the first person to ever notice me is a man that can no longer see me?

Alice Winters books never get old or less hilarious. She has consistently written some amazing, hilarious, sweet books. Hidden in darkness was no different.

I loved the story, there was enough action that kept me entertained from the first to the last word. I loved how Felix didn't coddle Lane and gave it as good as he got. Treated each other as if they were normal but also cared for him when n
Amanda
Alice Winters might just be my new obsession. This book is amazeball and a total page turner. It is laugh out loud funny with unique characters and suspenseful plot. Okay, I don't care much about the plot in regards to the drug lord or whatever, but I enjoyed the shenanigans that happened around it.

The first quarter of the book is pure silliness with Felix being a totally inexperience care taker who was hired to take care of the injured Lane Price. Lane got seriously injured from his recent 'jo
Vivian
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and suspenseful

I really enjoyed this book from start to finish. I haven’t read many books with a blind MC and it was interesting to see the relationship work out. I’m going to read the sequel next to read more of the funny dialogue.
Claudia
OMG what took me so long to find this awesome book???
Lane and Felix grabbed me from page one!
they're brats, they're funny, I had a BLAST reading this book!
I didn't laugh out loud or giggled while reading a book in a long time!
AWESOME BOOK!!!
I Would give it 10* if I could!
LOVED LOVED LOVED it
ReadingAllNite
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
2.5 Stars

Ugh, I hate writing a review that dissents from the majority but I must. I can see what everyone has enjoyed about it, there is some humor and fun, st someone else’s expense; parts of the story feel like slapstick humor. I was reminded a little of cop/criminal/buddy movies that play far outside the lines of probability and veracity to add action and excitement. The story moved along quickly, so I was able to stay with it to the end but contained too many jarring elements, pulling me ou
Ashley
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seriously amazing and funny as hell story! Omg Felix and Lane were amazing characters, I love their interactions and how much of smart asses they are to each other. I've read a couple books with blind or deaf MC's and one was kind of like Hidden in Darkness with the way they interacted but most books have too much pity and tip toeing around the person with the issue that it takes away from the story and makes it feel awkward. Felix is probably one of my favorite characters ever, he's funny but s ...more

• Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • One Bite With a Vampire (Hidden Species #2)
  • Jon's Boom Shaka Laka Problem (Jon’s Mysteries, #4)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • How to Hack a Hacker (Unholy Trifecta, #3)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta, #2)
  • Hijinks With a Hellhound (Hidden Species #3)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • King of Liars (Ace's Wild, #4)
  • Temporary Insanity (Temporary: Paul and Indy #1)
  • Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
Alice Winters started writing stories as soon as she was old enough to turn her ideas into written words. She loves writing a variety of things from romance and comedy to action. She also enjoys reading, horseback riding, and spending time with her pets.

Follow me on Facebook where I put up short stories, teasers, and giveaways: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Alice...

Join my newsletter: https://ww

In Darkness (3 books)
  • A Light in the Darkness (In Darkness #2)
  • Deception in Darkness (In Darkness #3)

News & Interviews

“I’m not scared of being hurt…I’m scared of being alone,” 1 likes
“I’ve never tried too hard to find my purpose in life. Instead, I’ve just sat back and watched my life unfold, trying to care about where it was heading. Sometimes that’s so damn difficult to do that I can’t imagine trying harder than I already am. Life felt rough enough as it is.” 0 likes