Start by marking “To Night Owl from Dogfish” as Want to Read:
To Night Owl from Dogfish

To Night Owl from Dogfish

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  4,336 ratings  ·  1,064 reviews
Avery Bloom, who's bookish, intense, and afraid of many things, particularly deep water, lives in New York City. Bett Devlin, who's fearless, outgoing, and loves all animals as well as the ocean, lives in California. What they have in common is that they are both twelve years old, and are both being raised by single, gay dads.

When their dads fall in love, Bett and Avery
Published February 12th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about To Night Owl from Dogfish, please sign up.
Karen Hayes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  4,336 ratings  ·  1,064 reviews

Start your review of To Night Owl from Dogfish
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was the absolute perfect Parent Trap story. I demand a movie. My soul is healed and I’m so, so pleased this book exists.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
I know I say this all the damn time now but queer middle grade is just EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER WANTED AND MORE. This was so, so good.
Hannah Greendale
An epistolary retelling of The Parent Trap with modern flair. Adventurous Bett Devlin and overcautious Avery Bloom have no interest in being friends, but their dads have fallen in love and are sending them to the same summer camp to get to know one another. Bett and Avery reluctantly unite to keep their dads apart and, before long, their exchanges glimmer with the first inklings of friendship.

A humorous and heartwarming tale of sisterhood, adventure, and finding family in unexpected places.
A
Kari Ann Sweeney
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, middle-grade
I was sitting in the parking lot with kids #3 & #4 waiting on #2 when my 9 year old daughter asked “What’s that book about?” After a brief description she said, “Mom- that book was MADE.FOR.ME. It’s sort of like Parent Trap with gay Dad’s but with emails and letters? Will you PLEASE read it aloud to me?”

How could I say no? Over the last couple of weeks we’ve spent sunrise mornings and sunset evenings reading it together. I have cherished this time together- slowing down, unplugging and
Lou
““You and I are now the Romeo and Juliet of friendship. Only we’re the Juliet and Juliet.””

I have to admit, at first I wasn’t interested in this book at all because even though The Parent Trap is good...it’s not “I would love to read a retelling” good.

This book wasn’t perfect for me, mostly because I was expecting something less stressful. In fact, I was counting on the gentlest, SOFTEST story ever told. That wasn’t what this was.

But if you want a story about friendship between two girls,
Kiera
This book was so fun. It is written in emails sent between the two characters, which was really fun. This book was so enjoyable and different.

The two girls Better and Avery are as different as can be but they form a beautiful friendship throughout this book.

I absolutely loved it and I think everyone should read it. This is a middle grade novel that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a fun book.
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
Audibook Review

4.5 stars rounded up

Total Parent Trap vibes, but obviously not the exact storyline. If you are a fan of the original movie you will start singing “Let’s Get Togetheryeah, yeah, yeah to yourself quite often, or at least I did.

Bett and Avery’s Dads are dating - to their shock and dismay. To get them to bond, the dads are sending them off to summer camp. Boy are they unhappy; they are the complete opposites with nothing in common and do not want to be forced to be friends, worst
mindful.librarian ☀️
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
LOVED IT!
Faye*
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a very sweet middle grade book about friendship, family, and relationships in general. I had fun listening to it and for once, I actually did enjoy a full cast (too many voices usually make me a bit crazy, I prefer one single narrator for the whole book).
(view spoiler)
Chance Lee
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This epistolary novel from two authors I've never read before tells the story of two young girls, Avery and Bett, who reluctantly become friends and are then put into a situation where they have to fight for that friendship.

From reading the blurb, I expected the whole book to take place at summer camp, but the plot moves much more quickly than I thought it would and takes many surprising turns. Even though the story is primarily told through the girls' point-of-view, we get many richly detailed
Sally Stieglitz
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To Night Owl from Dogfish by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer is a delight! Entirely through emails and letters (those proto-email communications), the reader is introduced two tween girls, Bett Devlin from California, a sporty animal loving free spirit, and Avery Bloom, a nerdy and neurotic New Yorker, when their impetuous gay dads decide, after a whirlwind romance, to send the girls to summer camp together to foster a sisterly bond between them. Bett and Avery want no part of this ...more
Kristy
This book has my whole heart.
Jeimy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
People always talk about YA books, but Middle School books are having their own Renaissance. This epistolary novel is a prime example. The premise is simple: a young girl reaches out to a stranger to let her know that their dads are dating. Through their correspondence (along with additional letters each girl receives from various other characters) we get to see how the girls' relationship evolves.

Besides the girls themselves, who are a precocious delight, the cast of supporting characters is
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I’m only minimally interested in most middle grade, particularly if it’s not potentially romantic and not fantasy, but I am interested in full-cast audiobooks, which is why I chose to read To Night Owl from Dogfish. This was a #gooddecision, because the audiobook is excellent, minus one nitpick. To Night Owl from Dogfish is a quirky, voice-driven story about family and friendship, and it brings some serious The Parent Trap vibes.

Because they’re not that common these days, I’d kind of forgotten
Laura Gardner
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy summer! This is book 1 for #30booksummer!

/5 for TO NIGHT OWL FROM DOGFISH; this was the perfect summery friendship novel! I'm recommending it for our choice Summer Reading 2020 list. I loooove epistolary novels and I love these two authors so of course I had to read this book immediately. I started it at 7 pm and finished it at 6 am and I swear I slept plenty in between, as well.

Avery and Bett have never met ("you don't know me"), but their fathers have and they're in love. Avery and
Emily Grace Dusin
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I went into this book without high expectations, and I was definitely blown away. This is such a light hearted happy book about friendship and family- and what those words can mean. I laughed a bunch. I enjoyed reading about how the main characters Avery and Bett grow and change over the course of the book. I definitely recommend reading this book when it is released, and I’m so glad I got the opportunity to read this book before it comes out.
Stefanie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just adored To Night Owl from Dogfish! This story, told in emails & letters, has a beautiful message about friendship & what it means to be a family. Bett & Avery’s mission to get their dads together will make you LOL & warm your heart. ...more
Bookishfolk
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I heard this book once described as, a modern parent trap and that’s really what it is! A fun, YA read that will be sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face.
Damini
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5/5
Books on Stereo
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming, endearing tale of the meaning of family and friendship.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I desperately wanted to read this book for several reasons:

1. I am a HUGE fan of Wolitzer's work. I have read, and adored, many of her adult and YA books.
2. There is just something about camp books that delights me.
3. I love epistolary novels.
4. There is a Parent Trap like storyline in there, and that's a film I will always love.

Well, I am happy to report, that the above mentioned things contributed to a wonderful reading experience, but there was so much more to this novel
Elizabeth Johnson
The audiobook is awful. I couldn’t stick with it because every email between the main characters adds a “re” to the subject line - and the book is basically just emails back and forth between the two so you can imagine listening to the narrator say “re” over and over and over again. Not worth it.
Raquel Sandoval
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was too cute and I just love it so much
Janet
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, middle, fiction, 2018
Thanks to the publisher for the sneak preview copy. Fun middle-grade fiction about found families. The girls are smart, funny, neurotic, and brave.
Ava Budavari
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS THE GAY PARENT TRAP I DIDNT KNOW I NEEDED
BookTrib.com
May 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: ya
“Avery, you don’t know me but I’m writing to you anyway. This is awkward but I’m just going to say it. Your dad + my dad ARE NOW A COUPLE. That isn’t my business, only it IS my business because my dad wants to send me to a summer camp that you’re going to.”

So begins one of the zaniest, touching and innovative novels about friendship and family that you’ll come across. In To Night Owl From Dogfish (Dial and Dutton Books for Young Readers), bestselling authors and friends Holly Goldberg Sloan and
Fiona Mackie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! A girl gets a random email from another girl. Turns out their fathers are dating and the girls are being sent to camp, to get to know each other while the dads are travelling around China. The girls are unimpressed with their fathers’ plotting and are agreed that they will not be friends, with one of the girls not wanting to go to camp at all.
They communicate via email which shows how different they are, and at the same time we see emails from their fathers, who aren’t
Susie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Absolutely LOVED this funny, happy and heart warming book.
Liz Wine
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t normally like books written in mainly email format, but this book was an exception. I’m always looking for books with LGBTQ+ characters and this was a good one!
Shari
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is the "September Book" for my Mock Newbery group. This one is a winner! It is the one to beat. It is such a well-constructed epistolary novel. Fabulous timing. Incredible characterization. I would recognize Bett, Avery, and Gaga if I saw them on the street. I was so happy that the authors did not fall into the trap of the cliche happy ending, even though the ending was happy. The ninth book I've read for Mock Newbery 2020 and the best!

• Other Words for Home
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • The Bridge Home
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
  • The Mighty Heart of Sunny St. James
Holly Goldberg Sloan was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and spent her childhood living in California, the Netherlands, Istanbul, Washington, DC, and Oregon (where she graduated from high school). She wrote the screenplay for Angels in the Outfield and directed The Big Green, as well as a number of other successful family feature films.

The mother of two sons, Holly lives with her husband (the
“I really like reading stories with an unreliable narrator, because the person telling you what happened can't be trusted with the facts and you have to figure it out.
Maybe when it's your own story, you're always going to be an unreliable narrator" -Avery (Night Owl)”
3 likes
“Gay people having families doesn't seem like something anyone should have to shout about anymore. Some people are a lot more interested in raising kids than other people. From what I can see, the person most interested usually does the best job" -Bett” 2 likes