Start by marking “Woman Enough” as Want to Read:
Woman Enough

Woman Enough

WOMAN ENOUGH is an inspirational story about an exotic dancer who faces down social stigma and struggles with addiction as she fights for her right to dignity in a world that is saturated with #metoo abuses.

Twenty-one-year-old Rebecca is struggling. She’s been kicked off the gymnastics team, loses her scholarship, and has to move back home with her parents. Desperate to e
Published April 10th 2018 by Draft2digital

To ask other readers questions about Woman Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman Enough

Start your review of Woman Enough
Krista
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
** I received an advanced copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review **

This review is complex for me, and while I finished reading the book a couple of weeks ago, the book continues to haunt me.

It’s about a young woman named Rebecca (Becca), but called Corrine on stage. On stage – the stage with a pole and leering clients tossing money at her for dancing. It’s not just about her, though. I realized that in many ways, this is the story of every woman I know, in some way
Jennifer Davis
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Woman Enough by Lissa Carlino is about a young woman named Becca, who is alienated from her family, particularly her mother. Becca works as an exotic dancer and is lured into a lifestyle of drugs and sex. This lifestyle is, in part, Becca’s attempt to escape her oppressive relationship with her family. However, she finds this new lifestyle doesn’t provide what she has been missing. Further, it creates barriers that Becca struggles to overcome. Ms. Carlino writes with realistic dialog and evidenc ...more
JENNIFER
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
GREAT read. Very easy to get sucked into the story... I couldn't wait to get back to reading. Admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the story & how well-crafted the story was. Glad that I purchased the book and had it signed by the Author. ;) ...more
Jodie Norquist
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel! The characters felt real and vulnerable, and the storyline grabbed my attention and kept me reading. Can’t wait to read more from this author!
Annie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every woman and the person who loves her needs to read this book. Each of us has, in some way, been Becca. While we may not be able to relate to every one of Becca's obstacles - from her years as a competitive gymnast with a questionably attentive coach to her constant desire to gain her critical alcoholic mother's approval to her cautious quest for the attention of a handsome wealthy, but mysterious stranger - we can certainly relate to her inner voice riddled with self-doubt and self-shaming. ...more
Laney Kaye
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read a version of this book upon its initial conception, and then updates as the story evolved and matured.
This thought-provoking, well-rendered and multi-layered tale lends itself to book club discussions and facilitates conversation about women's rights, but is cleverly delivered as a story, rather than a dissertation.
Kylie
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining book discussing important topics that are still on the rise. It discusses what it means to be a woman, female empowerment, boundaries, addiction, and the assumptions that surround sex work. I enjoyed reading this and especially seeing different perspectives on these topics discussed in the book.
Alana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great read! When I started reading it I didn't want to put it down. Had some heavy parts in it that made me think alot.Can't wait to see what Lissa writes next.
Stacey Broadbent
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically written story of how things can snowball as you spiral downwards on a path you never thought you’d be on.

Rebecca is struggling with life. She finds herself in a place she doesn’t want to be, working as an exotic dancer. She struggles with the shame she feels for what she does but also the empowerment she feels while onstage.
Her story is so real, it really resonated with me. I may not have had a problem with substances, but I am a woman who has been put in situations I didn’t want
Emma Bryson
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you 5-star a book because it’s word-perfect. For me at least, this isn’t one of those books. This is a different 5-star beast entirely… And one that’s far more important. It’s culturally significant—and as time marches on, it’s only becoming more so. Because when has it been more important to understand womanhood than now?
Holly
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Powerful story that shows what life can be like for women who are trying to survive. It’s a book that pulls back the curtain on addiction and generational trauma in a way that many don’t. The author weaves a story and characters that make you think deeper about those around you and what they may be experiencing in their lives.
Erin
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself cheering for Becca throughout the story and couldn’t stop thinking about it after I put it down. The story brings to light struggles that many women have faced, and while sometimes I found it difficult to read I also appreciated the book for raising these important issues. Read it!
Nancy Waller
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
I enjoyed this book! The characters were believable and I was cheering for Becca, the main character in the book all the way.
Thank you for opening our minds to the trials and tribulations of women, and the shaming we all have to overcome!
Lynn Alcock
Jul 15, 2018
Kate
Jun 07, 2018
Janet Beames
Sep 14, 2019
Lissa Carlino
Feb 18, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Chloe Norling

• On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century
  • The Kiss Thief
  • The Red Caddy: Into the Unknown with Edward Abbey
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • The Circle (Omega Academy #2)
  • Across the Winding River
  • 2am Secrets
  • Aspiring Dreams Shenanigans'20 Children’s Anthology
  • Panic
  • Tag (The Survival Games, #1)
  • Blurred Lines (Franksville University #1)
  • Choose Me
  • Marked (Playing Games, #1)
  • Arrogant Playboy (Cocky Suits Chicago, #4)
  • The Liar
  • My Dad is a Butthead
  • Gerald's Game
Lissa Carlino is an American expat living in New Zealand. She grew up in the Midwest doing local theatre, went to college and began her career in Vermont, and moved to 'the land of the long white cloud' five years ago. Prior to being a mother and author, she used to be an addictions treatment counselor.

News & Interviews