Start by marking “The Mouth of the Dark” as Want to Read:
The Mouth of the Dark

The Mouth of the Dark

Jayce’s twenty-year-old daughter Emory is missing, lost in a dark, dangerous realm called Shadow that exists alongside our own reality. An enigmatic woman named Nicola guides Jayce through this bizarre world, and together they search for Emory, facing deadly dog-eaters, crazed killers, homicidal sex toys, and – worst of all – a monstrous being known as the Harvest Man. But ...more
Published September 6th 2018 by Flame Tree Press

Start your review of The Mouth of the Dark
Bark
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Where does one start with a crazy book like this one? I honestly don’t know where to begin so I’ll just start typing and see what happens.

I read this book with a group of blogging buddies and the main theme of our chat seemed to be WTF. Some of us were horrified, some maybe scandalized but I think there were a few who were a little tantalized though they’ll probably never admit it, haha.

At any rate, this is a story about a man named Jayce who realizes his grown daughter has gone missing. He make
Karl
This Is an advanced reading copy uncorrected proof of the book and is signed by Tim Waggoner.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
'The Mouth of the Dark' was a strange book. Not quite weird fiction/ bizarro horror but sweet baby Cthulhu, it was strange.

The prologue made me say "What the fuck?" and from there I think that was probably the most common phrase I (or any of my Book Bitch group) said when talking about it. Though "Eww!" was probably a close second. The ICK factor on this book was pretty high. In fact, the squick of some of the experiences Jayce has in regards to his daughter dampened my enjoyment of the read a g
Philip Fracassi
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, genre
I greatly enjoyed this book by Tim Waggoner. A sort of dark fantasy / body horror / erotica hybrid that made me think of early Clive Barker. A quick, fascinating, and delightfully sinful read that I'd recommend for anyone wanting strong prose, disturbing imagery, and a fun, fast-moving plot line. Tim's one of the best in the business for a reason. Recommended.
Michael Hicks
Let's cut right to the quick - The Mouth of the Dark is weird. Seriously weird. Like bug-fuck, batshit crazy weird. Tim Waggoner revels in weirdness here, revealing new layers of oddities and arcane horrors on nearly every page. Yes, it keeps the book moving, which is exactly what you want in a narrative whose timespan is so firmly compressed (the events of The Mouth of the Dark take place within about 24-48 hours or so), but hot damn is it ever weird.

Weird isn't a bad thing, though, and it's o
Figgy
Review to come. In the meantime...

I'm honestly not entirely sure what I think of this one as yet.

From the start, it was very different and pushed a lot of boundaries, often stepping across the line into uncomfortable moments. So often books shy away from actually delving into horrific things, so that was... "nice"?

However, there were a couple of things that didn't make proper sense, and there was that one big, underlying thing that led to the twist. Something I worked out within the first 20-30%
Emily
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't even know where to start with the Mouth of the Dark. This book probably wins the award for largest amount of times I said "what the fuck" while reading. This book is WEIRD. It's way more than your average horror weird, and there's a lot to take in here.

The Mouth of the Dark has such an intriguing opening, and it hooked me immediately. I was excited to read the rest of the book, and figure out what the hell was going on.

Different parts of the book reminded me of different books / shows
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I know that I've heard of Tim Waggoner before and I'm pretty sure I've read SOMETHING he wrote years ago but I've searched my mind and my records and can't come up with anything. However, I knew just by looking at this cover that this is a book I wanted to read.

Jayce is looking for his daughter Emory. She has disappeared and it is believed that she has become lost in the "Shadow" - a very unique yet very dangerous realm. Jayce will do whatever is necessary to find Emory, even if it means unlocki
Frank Errington
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

This is my sixth and final review of the initial batch of releases from Flame Tree Press. The Bad Neighbor by David Tallerman, Creature by Hunter Shea, Thirteen Days at Sunset Beach by Ramsey Campbell, The Sky Woman: From Ringworlds to Earth, an Epic Struggle of Love and Survival by J.D. Moyer, The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz, and now The Mouth of the Dark by Tim Waggoner. A terrific mix of genre reads from a publisher showing great promise.

On with today's review...

Jayce Le
Mommacat
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review Copy

Stop right here. If you're into horror, you'll want to buy this book now. Here's why.

I've always liked Tim Waggoner's writing, but THE MOUTH OF THE DARK exceeded all of my expectations and is one of my favorite books of the year. I'm trying to figure out where it places in my all time favorites. I'll work on that. I know it's very high up there.

This is a horrifying tale of a father's love for his missing adult daughter. The occult elements are downright terrifying and heartstopping. T
Laura Thomas
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Egads. That best describes my thoughts on this one. I knew from the description it was going to be out there, but this was such a strange read.

It all begins with a man searching for his daughter. That’s the only thing normal about this story. It quickly turns into a bizarre story of finding himself, plunging him into a strange world of demonic sex toys (AKA: Pink Demon) and just plain weird experiences.

Now, I’m not that squeamish. I can take gore, hideous death scenes and terrifying paranormal o
Red Lace Reviews
Desperate to find his missing daughter, Jayce Lewis delves into the Cannery; a place of secrets and unnatural dangers; a shadowy part of Oakmont he didn't even know existed. Accompanied by a mysterious guide, he soon finds himself in over his head and surrounded by violence of the most perverted manner. Not only is a psychotic hunter on his trail, but the legendary Harvest Man seems not far behind.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest revie
Acanthea Grimscythe | The Ghastly Grimoire
The Mouth of the Dark is the second book by Tim Waggoner that I've read and, after completing it, I'm pretty convinced I'll like just about any of his work. Waggoner is imaginative and original, and The Mouth of the Dark takes readers to an entirely new world of monstrosities. It's easily one of the most fantastic books I've read this year.

Jayce Lewis's daughter has gone missing. No one's seen her and in pursuit of her whereabouts, Jayce stumbles upon a world known as Shadow. Shadow is a dangero
William M.
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, weird-fiction
4 AND 1/2 STARS

I've been reading Tim Waggoner for years and he always manages to produce amazing work. The Mouth of the Dark is no exception. Brutal and sometimes shocking, the narrative takes the reader into unique and mind-bending territory. What appears to be the simple premise of a father in search of his missing daughter turns out to be anything but. Waggoner writes to the beat of his own drum and his smooth prose and unpredictable twists will have you in adult horror heaven. If this were a
 Reading Reindeer
Review: THE MOUTH OF THE DARK by Tim Waggoner

I loved this scary horror novel! In Oakmont, the underworld isn't organized crime. Instead, it's an extensive "region" called Shadow, a sort of shifting portal to that (and those) which lie Beyond. Open, to an extent, to "normals," Shadow magnetizes humans who possess "the Eye," and continued exposure results in "changes." Jayce can't remember a frightening incident when he was thirteen, nor can he account for the subsequent missing time. But now that
Tammy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Delightfully twisted and disturbing, The Mouth of the Dark is part Tales from the Dark Side , part Poltergeist , and completely bat shit crazy.

The launch of small publisher Flame Tree Press caught my attention last month when they were blasted all over the internet—good marketing, guys!—and I was curious enough to h
Don Gillette
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and a bit on the quirky side, The Mouth of the Dark is another great, new release from the folks at Flame Tree Press who are proving quite rapidly they are in the business to bring game to the genre. And bring it, they do.
While not a great fan of "creature-type" fantasy/horror, I got over that a few chapters into the book and it developed into quite the page-turner.
The story is simple enough; Jayce's daughter has gone missing and he heads toward the seedy part of town to post some fly
Kristy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Flame Tree Press for a free e-copy of The Mouth of the Dark in exchange for an honest review.**

Woah. Okay y'all, if you love horror but feel like reading something totally unique and weird as hell, this is your next read. It's graphic and has some sexual scenes that will make you super uncomfortable. You know, like when you're reading in public and look around to see if people can tell you're reading something so messed up? You will do that multiple times reading The
Sage
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really awesome. It features a man searching for his daughter in a dangerous realm next to ours called Shadow where all sorts of creepy things live. This is a great mix of urban fantasy, horror, and bizzaro fiction. I highly recommend it.
Zakk Madness
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird and twisted read, not at all what I was expecting. Great imagery and gnarly action. I'd definitle read more from Waggoner,
BookLoversLife
This book was seriously weird!! Right from the start I was constantly going, what the heck is going on, and it didn't let up. It's not a bad weird, it's just a seriously out there weird!! There were times when I wanted to put this aside because I wasn't enjoying it enough, but it was also strangely compelling and I had to keep reading to see what happens and to see if it finally came together at the end.

In all honesty, I'm still not sure if I enjoyed this or not. The plot of the dad trying to fi
Alan Baxter
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Truly bizarre, dark and twisted, a lot like Barker’s CABAL, but with bucketloads of extra WTFness. Recommended.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, mystery
This is the third Flame Tree Press ARC I've read, and it's just as impressive as the first two. I'm loving how awesome and different every horror title has been so far.

Jayce Lewis is a simple man with a complicated past, but right now all he cares about is finding his 20-year-old daughter. Emory is missing and although Jayce's ex doesn't seem very concerned, he decides to print up some flyers and hits the street.

The only problem is that from the moment he steps into CrazyQwik--where Emory worked
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Here is a horror offering for those interested in weirdness that can go over the top and the intrigue of hidden worlds beneath our own.

At it's core, this is a story of a father searching for his daughter and discovering a truth about his past that he's kept repressed.

For me, the narrative didn't keep me fully involved the way I expect a great story to. I found myself wandering off, thinking about other things; I wasn't invested in Jayce's narration and I found him to be a bit unrealistic.

For e
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
So it seems this author has been around for a while and written a lot of books for like Supernaturals, Resident Evil and Kingsmen! Yet, I have never heard of him till I decide to try this book and I don't know how his other books are but this is the weirdest, strangest, weirdest book I ever read. Not sure if this was the best book to start out with for this author but I must admit I am curious about reading more from him...lol.

It's about a father looking for his twenty-year old daughter who has
Niki
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy, netgalley
3,5 stars. A great effort that needed more meat on its bones in the end.

Somehow, from reading the synopsis, I thought that the entire book would be set in a different dimension; even though it technically wasn't, it might as well have been, considering what goes on in Shadow.

It wasn't a scary book, but it was creepy, it was VERY imaginative, and also rather graphic (keep that in mind if you're uneasy with graphic violence or sex) Like other reviewers have mentioned, I was cool with all the insan
S.J. Budd
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has definitely got to be the most WTF book I have ever read? At the end of every page I was like "WTF?!" And it only got weirder further in.

This is a really fun book and Tim Waggoner certainly has an amazing imagination which has earned him a Bram Stoker Award.
Jayce, a middle aged man stuck in a rut has lost his daughter. She's vanished into thin air and it's taken all these years following his bitter divorce to realise he barely knows anything about his beloved Emory. But one thing he is
OutlawPoet
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Weird.

Surreal.

And very, very extreme!

In The Mouth of the Dark, Tim Waggoner brings us into an urban landscape full of monsters, debaucheries, and things that don’t just go bump in the night – they’ll tear off your head in broad daylight.

As we join Jayce in his search for his missing daughter, we learn that, sometimes, shadows are better left unexplored.

Expect to be shocked, horrified, and heartbroken.

And expect that you’ll think twice when something just a little bit odd catches your eye.

An exc
jillannjohn
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced, crazy weird book. It;s is an extremely imaginative story. I'd describe it as horror with the vibe of the TV series, Supernatural, but much darker and more graphic.
I identified with the central story of Jayce looking for his missing 20 year old daughter, Emory, and his determination to find her at any cost. During his search for his daughter, Jayce discovers Shadow, a reality alongside our ordinary reality. The descriptions of this world and the freaky characters there are a
Ken
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Started book but could not finish after I read the word "shemale" being casually used in narration. The worldbuilding had potential, too, so I'm really disappointed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Will Haunt You
  • Gone South
  • Devoted
  • The Gemini Experiment
Tim Waggoner has published nearly fifty novels and seven short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He's won the Bram Stoker Award and has been a finalist for both the Shirley Jackson Award and the Scribe Award. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio. Visit him on the web at www.timwag ...more