Start by marking “Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)” as Want to Read:
Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)

Celtic Empire

(Dirk Pitt #25)

Clive Cussler, "The Grand Master of Adventure," sends his intrepid heroes Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino on their wildest, boldest mission into the ancient world, unlocking extraordinary secrets and solving hideous crimes. Another fabulous read from the most beloved series from the #1 New York Times-bestselling author.

The murders of a team of United Nations scientists in El Sal
Published March 19th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Empire, please sign up.
Joe Mora Although they can all be read as standalone, the series characters are introduced over time and take on different positions / retire and you learn abo…moreAlthough they can all be read as standalone, the series characters are introduced over time and take on different positions / retire and you learn about the characters through Clive's earlier novels. Sometimes they make subtle references to earlier adventures that may pull you to want to read that earlier novel (honestly that is what drove me to eventually go back to the first Dirk Pitt novel to see how the character evolved and grew in depth as I read the series in order). It was sad to hear of Clive's passing, and I can only hope his son does as well without his father as co-author.(less)

Start your review of Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
Skip
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Yes, OK, the Cusslers write formulaic books: exotic locales and cars, murderous villians, ancient history impacting the modern world, action on or under the high seas. In this one, a waterborne bacteria is being systematically released into sources in several countries around the world. Dirk Pitt Sr. and Al rescue a scientist in El Salvador, where children are dying and Dirk Jr. and Summer rescue an archaeologist in Egypt when they are attacked by tomb raiders, who steal a mummy. Of course, the ...more
Leslie Ray
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is classified as a thriller and fully meets that description. I was entertained and enjoyed the link established between ancient Egypt and Celtic Ireland. Dirk Pitt and Giordino, and Dirk's son and daughter, Dirk and Summer, respectively, are working in concentric circles and ultimately end up together to fight a common foe.
It is fast paced and the plot interesting throughout.
Glen
The latest Dirk Pitt novel. There's shenanigans in Scotland, and tomb raiders try to raid an archaeological dig. The Pitts are around, though, and put the kibosh on the scheme. Eventually father and progeny reunite, and put the final nail in the coffin.

Not bad, but going through the motions, mainly.
Robert
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2018-19-season
(Clive throws darts at map)
Egypt and.....Scotland.
(Clive randomly scrolls Wikipedia for both locations)
Tutankhamen and Loch Ness.
(Clive rolls dice and picks a page from the newspaper)
Plant-based medicine!
(Clive buys another vintage car)
Chris Wood
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmmm Clive and his son Dirk collaborate on another novel and i'm wondering how much of it Clive actually wrote. In my opinion the book has Clive's name on it to attract the readers, having read all of the Dirk Pitt, Issac Bell and Fargo novels I don't recognise any of Clive's writing in this book. The story itself is Ok, the writing is Ok in fact everything is Ok, this reads like Dirk Pitt lite. There is no substance to it, the characters immediately solve every problem put in front of them with ...more
Pygment
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
So, I have concerns about this book. It is a book that brings up very real issues of gender imbalance while being misogynistic portrayals of its characters. It also makes the person who is bringing up the gender imbalances into the evil unhinged villain who has turned evil because of a nervous breakdown after a series of abuses by men of her and one of her daughters.

As I write this I keep dropping the number of stars on this review. I had started at three and the more I write the worse I feel a
Kate
I'm a huge fan of the Dirk Pitt series and have read them all over the years, reading each new one as they come out. I really enjoyed Celtic Empire. It has everything I enjoy the most about these thrillers, including an archaeological mystery, audacious evil masterminds and beautiful settings, above and below the water. I especially enjoyed the chapters set in Scotland. Dirk shares the action with his son and daughter these days but he's still got fight left in him and, considering what happens ...more
Wendy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*. I like to listen to Clive Cussler audiobooks. Maybe it's because he writes his books like a movie. So I can listen as if to an old-fashioned radio play. If you're a fan of Dirk Pitt books, you would like this. Sure, he and his sidekick, Al Giordino, are older. However, that does not stop them stumbling into these adventures. We have a parallel story involving Dirk's children. The 2 storylines inevitably connect. One does not read these books expecting deep philosophical discussions. There ...more
Bob
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Cussler, a quick read, fast paced put an Egyptian royal from the time of he Pharaohs in to Ireland, and then the woman head of a company producing Bio based oil spill cleanup with a hidden desire to eliminate the male population. The Pit family are all involved in this one.
Darryl S Rich
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Although this is a typically good Clive Cussler read, I think the writers (Clive and Dirk - both males) are culturally and socially insensitive to the times. I say this as a male myself. As women strive for financial equality in the real world, they make women who promote women in leadership roles, the villains in this tale. The writers need to be more culturally sensitive, and for this reason alone, I recommend boycotting this book. Hopefully, they will do better in their choice of villains in ...more
Roger
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow. The latest Dirk Pitt adventure (authored by father and son Clive and Dirk Cussler) is not so good, to put it mildly. Celtic Empire follows the formula established in earlier novels. Pitt rescues a good looking female scientist from certain death, a global conspiracy that is somehow tied in with the ancient past is uncovered and smashed. This is the twenty fifth book in the series Constant Reader so if you've followed along this far you know how things go. Typically I like this formula, so I ...more
Christian D.  Orr
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alba Gu Brath and Erin Go Bragh, Mr. Pitt!

Another fun-filled Dirk Pitt adventure, this time involving plot elements of ancient Egypt and present day Scotland and Ireland (my beloved ancestral countries from whence my clan name originates).

—p. 225: “His Georgetown house outside of Washington...” Um, Georgetown is actually **in** Washington!

—p. 230: “Drumnadrochit and the ruins of Urquhart Castle,” och aye, laddie, Albu Gu Brath!

—p. 232: “Loren had already eyed a European prime minister,” hmmm, a
Kay
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating archeological connection between Egypt and Ireland!

When genetically engineered waterborne bacteria was released into water sources in several countries, it's up to Dirk Pitt, his family, and NUMA to find the cure to save the other half of mankind. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure.

I was confused who's who in some parts when Dirk meets Dirk. Also at the end, I think the villains went down a bit too easy.

Jim
Oct 17, 2020 added it
For me, a Clive Cussler book is a fast page-turner. I know, I know, it's formulaic. We know Dirk Pitt is going to save the girl as well as save the world from a megalomaniac, leaving a trail of wreckage in his wake. However, I liked the historical mystery in this one. An Egyptian princess flees the Land of the Nile and winds up in Ireland, creating the "Celtic Empire" of the title. I could have given this 25th Dirk Pitt book 3 or 4 Stars, but I'm giving it only 2 stars. This is because of the e ...more
Minx
I enjoyed Celtic Empire very much. I thought that the link between Celtic Ireland and ancient Egypt was interesting and nicely done. They even did a good job differentiating between Dirk Sr. and Jr. even though they were each referred to as "Dirk," you just have to pay close attention to the scenes. Overall, another thrilling action adventure in a series that just keeps giving great books!
Barb
This was the last Dirk Pitt Novel and i absolutely loved it. I'll miss you!!
Steve
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book felt a bit more like the old-school Pitt adventure. The primary characters were represented and they were the focus of the story. The Celtic plot thread was solid and I enjoyed it.
Terry Engel
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dirk at his best. It had it all. A spec of history that is brought to life in today’s world.
Women are not quite in control yet!!!!
Rick
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
When you read a Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt series novel, you really already know what you are going to get: An ancient mystery that somehow impacts current events, usually because a bad guy is going to try take over the world. However, Dirk and NUMA save the day, usually collecting or trashing (or both) an unusual rare vehicle of some sort. By the first quarter of the book, you already have it mapped out in your mind how it is going to go. All that being said, I love to read them because I don't ha ...more
Deborah
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and enjoyable read. King Tut's sister, Princess Meritaten, escaped Egypt with her husband and some warriors after a plague had killed her father, the pharaoh. NUMA Director Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino are in El Salvador when they rescue American aid worker, Elise Aguilar, and a boy after a dam breaks. Dirk and Al go to the Detroit area to salvage a heavily laden oil tanker that was sunk after an accident. BioRem Global Limited, which is headed by Evanna McKee, helps in the salvage operation. ...more
RG
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Ive pretty much read all the dirk Pitt novels. Not much has changed. Ancient backstory, boats, explosions, food and cars. However its enjoyable. The writing isnt as good as the earlier ones but I guess that could be down to the son taking over. You know what youre in for if youre reading this. Id reccomend this for people wanting a light action read or an easy holiday plane trip.
Anima Miejska
Schematic (the bad guys try to kill Pitt, but he manages to escape each time) yet a perfect pastime listen, definitely for fans.
Corey
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Celtic Empire may be the best Dirk Pitt outing co-written by Dirk Cussler, right up there with Raise the Titanic, Sahara, et cetera!

After an oil tanker is struck in the Detroit River, causing an oil spill. Dirk Pitt and his NUMA team lead the clean-up operation, with the assistance of a new firm known as BioRem. But after a NUMA diver suspiciously while working on a shipwreck, Pitt begins to suspect that BioRem has a different agenda than saving the environment.

Dirk Jr. and Summer at the same
Dan Curnutt
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very typical Clive Cussler adventure. The variation this time is that Dirk Pitt comes alongside Dirk, Jr. and Summer to help solve the mystery. What's the mystery? Well young children seem to be dying due to a cholera outbreak. The problem, it seems only the male children are dying. That seems a bit odd.

Add to that a U.S. Agricultural team being wiped out in El Salvador, as well as a dam being partially destroyed and then a U.S. Archeological team being left for dead after a grave robbery gone
Jim
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller, action
Ahhh...back to a truly entertaining guilty pleasure. Clive, Dirk and Dirk combine for an international and inter-temporal romp around the world. The plot, somewhat implausible (as always in Cussler novels), is an interesting twist on the current 'me-too' culture that has blossomed recently. But the bad guys are seriously bad and the good guys...well, there's the Pitts for you.

This was a particularly interesting book for me since a few years back I had the (somewhat queasy) pleasure of visiting S
Tere Fredericks
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Brave Egyptian Princess

In this 28th outing for Dirk and his family, the four are again world travelers. Sometimes, being in the same place without knowing it. Travel is usually on water, of course.

Yes, this is a thrilling Clive Cussler joint effort with the thrills, chills, and dachshunds right where you expect them to be. (I look for the dog in each novel, don’t you?)

From an agricultural center in El Salvador to a tomb of a brave Egyptian princess buried deep on an island off the coast of
Mark
From El Salvador, Egypt, Scotland to Ireland, Dirk Pitt and his NUMA cronies again save the World from a murderous feminist plot to rule to world...Yeah, I know this sounds like the basic Clive Cussler "formula,"...fighting some person/group using some archeological myth/relic being for domination but, like great "chemistry," it works...Good Summer read!!!
Readsandeats
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was very much a page turner.
The characters and situation were interesting. All was well written and engaging.
I enjoy Dirk Pitt Snr as a character. His side kick Al G is such a great allie, then you have Dirk's children and wife. All play an important part in this book.
The only thing that slightly irked me was calling Loch Ness a lake. It is a Loch. We only have one lake in Scotland, all other bodies of water are called Lochs, Lochans, Firths and Sounds.

I loved the intertwining of Egyptia
Ron
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of "over the top" escapes, fights, etc. by the main characters, but a lot of imagination in the plot and setting.

Been a Cussler fan for years, maybe a little biased in the rating???
Dave Turner
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Dirk Pitt novels are always a quick and easy read and this one was no different. Entertaining and mindless - just what I was looking for!
Sexism (Spoilers within post) 1 10 Aug 20, 2019 09:12PM

• The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone, #14)
  • Tom Clancy Enemy Contact
  • The Kremlin Strike (Brad McLanahan #6)
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #18)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • One Good Deed
  • Crucible (Sigma Force, #14)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)